Liberal Citizen

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
TheLuckyRabbit
This is why we don't need plastic surgery:

User Image

People become addicted to it and end up ruining their lives. If it's to help someone who has been injured or to help their health, then I agree with it. Otherwise...

HAHAHAHA I always laugh at those pictures.
But I'm not talking about the extreme cases though... as I mentioned in my OP.. When surgery goes bad it's usually because they didn't go to a certified doctor (so they can get it cheaper) Or they just keep getting more and more and more because they're not happy with the results, in that case, it turns into a phycological issue.

Liberal Citizen

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
We Are Organisms
Looks have nothing to do with music also, damned if i turn down a song or band because they are fugly.

when i mentioned that I meant that if you don't like lana del ray, this isn't the place to talk about it, I've had to deal with that on one of my previous thread when someone saw my beatles siggy and started saying how terrible they are even though it is completely unrelated to the thread.
But um.. looks ISNT related to music, it's related to being a celebrity, but not their music.
Susan Boyle. You have to admit she's a fantastic singer.

Liberal Citizen

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Jacque De Molay
M i n t - C h a l k l o t
We Are Organisms
Because pumping your body with silicon to suffer in old age isnt immoral at all, to make ourselves pretty for a limited portion of our lives with decisions that have permanent consequences.

OH WAIT.

wearing making for long hours long term basically has the same effect, especially on the skin, so we shouldn't wear make-up either.
You could argue about the degrees of destruction that plastic surgery and makeup are capable of without getting anywhere. If you were to get this eyelid surgery and you were mocked about a feature you've never thought to be insecure about like your earlobe would you get that fixed too? If a person you were attracted to decided to tell you about how ghastly your earlobes are would you get them reconstructed? Many who claim to be cosmetic surgeons are often not board certified and obtained novelty degrees by attending a weekend seminar. You could risk permanent damage or get the results you desired without any change in your perception of self. If you want to change the way you see yourself, surgery is not the way to start. Only if Michael Jackson knew that.

I wouldn't because, I don't believe that my earlobes are ugly myself.. People have called me fat before, I don't think I'm fat at all, so I'm not constantly trying to diet or anything. The thing about my eyes is that I myself don't like them anymore than the people who criticize them do, that's the difference, It's not 100% to please others. I'd only go to a doctor who has had a good number of previous patients who got good results, I'd never risk anything just to get it cheap.
MJ turned himself white because he had a type of skin cancer that makes him get patches of white skin, so he decided to turn it all white. The nose was because he fell on his face.. the rest of it.. yeah.
I think you're right to a certain degree, especially when it comes to the larger procedures or things like excessive boob jobs or butts... But damn it, unless you're in the same boat as someone with obvious imperfections, you wouldn't understand, if you are in the same boat, then I render you a stronger person, that's about all I can say.

Adored Sweetheart

CuteMinta
I do agree with you OP.
I think it maybe because when people have had the surgery they will say it's "natural! Never had anything done." And it's a lie. That is where the problem possibly started when frowning on plastic surgery.

True, true, that's one of the things that factored into shaming those who had plastic surgery, however, I feel that another reason is that a lot of people who let their natural good looks get in over their heads would see it as a reason to look down upon someone who got their good looking feature through plastic surgery, and soon enough, everyone else follows

Very true, or the other way around.

Liberal Citizen

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Oxyria
It's probably frowned upon because to go through with it usually means you're doing it to please someone.

Surgically altering your body is a weird step to take away from the direction of just being ok with yourself. You have a physical body, and you may as well learn to be comfortable with it -- it's always going to be with you.

I don't necessarily have anything against people doing it -- I mean as far as it's their choice. I can definitely say if someone cares that much about looking a certain way, to the point where they'll actually alter themselves physically and permanently, I have no interest in them personally.

hmm I get what you're saying, but it's really really hard to do "just be ok with yourself" when you're that bad looking (I'm not referring to myself or anyone, just in general), I don't know you so I wouldn't know what you look like or if you've ever been made fun of because of your looks, but to an average looking person, those words are extremely easy to say, but if one day, you suddenly wake up looking like let's say Susan Boyle, would you really truly be able to just "accept" the way you look? Most people wouldn't, I consider her extremely admirable because of this. Your looks can really effect your career, and just the general quality of your life, because that's naturally how humans are, we prefer things that look good to us. If susan were an attractive lady, she would've been famous long before and more successful as well, we live in an image obsessed culture, we're made fun of for looking less than perfect and then we're criticized when we try to change? It's like jesus, everything we do is wrong!
Miotas Sisceal
Some people see cosmetic surgery as a means of cheating, or not appreciating what you look like. They may see it as weakness or conforming; some even think it's a way to just flaunt financial wellness to others.

Whatever the case, I personally see nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery. I've had cosmetic surgery done on my teeth that was necessary due to a deficiency in enamel that makes my natural teeth much more brittle than the average person's. When I had it done, it boosted my confidence ten fold; I was sick of being teased and picked on, constantly told that I must have poor hygiene if my teeth are breaking, was called dirty and disgusting.

I finally had 8 of my front teeth replaced with porcelain veneers. A temporary solution that is now starting to show its age in deterioration, but it helped me decide that I do want to save up the money for a more permanent solution. I also plan to have a breast reduction later in life. For me personally, I think of the small things. It's those little things that hurt or lift my confidence. Other people have larger insecurities that they wish to change. And some people just want to change themselves for the sake of wanting to change themselves. If they can do so safely, they should be able to do so without being judged.

That's different though because what you got done was necessary to your health and wellbeing as well as your appearance. I can understand someone getting cosmetic surgery for a reason such as yours. I had a similar situation to yours where I had to have cosmetic surgery on my hand after having a tumor removed.

However I don't so much agree with getting it just for the sake of getting it done. I think another reason people frown on cosmetic surgery is because it plays on peoples insecurities, like when someone gets breast implants because people have made them feel like they need to have large breasts to be beautiful, especially in younger girls.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Her lips aren't big, her lips are just full. I have big lips, not trying to brag. Just saying there's a difference. Like the difference between chubby and fat.

Shameless Lunatic

Pirongia
Miotas Sisceal
Some people see cosmetic surgery as a means of cheating, or not appreciating what you look like. They may see it as weakness or conforming; some even think it's a way to just flaunt financial wellness to others.

Whatever the case, I personally see nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery. I've had cosmetic surgery done on my teeth that was necessary due to a deficiency in enamel that makes my natural teeth much more brittle than the average person's. When I had it done, it boosted my confidence ten fold; I was sick of being teased and picked on, constantly told that I must have poor hygiene if my teeth are breaking, was called dirty and disgusting.

I finally had 8 of my front teeth replaced with porcelain veneers. A temporary solution that is now starting to show its age in deterioration, but it helped me decide that I do want to save up the money for a more permanent solution. I also plan to have a breast reduction later in life. For me personally, I think of the small things. It's those little things that hurt or lift my confidence. Other people have larger insecurities that they wish to change. And some people just want to change themselves for the sake of wanting to change themselves. If they can do so safely, they should be able to do so without being judged.

That's different though because what you got done was necessary to your health and wellbeing as well as your appearance. I can understand someone getting cosmetic surgery for a reason such as yours. I had a similar situation to yours where I had to have cosmetic surgery on my hand after having a tumor removed.

However I don't so much agree with getting it just for the sake of getting it done. I think another reason people frown on cosmetic surgery is because it plays on peoples insecurities, like when someone gets breast implants because people have made them feel like they need to have large breasts to be beautiful, especially in younger girls.
It wasn't necessary at all to anything other than my self esteem. There are no health risks associated with my teeth breaking. It made me feel terrible, depressed, and it was and continues to be in no way covered by any kind of insurance because it is purely cosmetic.
deadroosters
deadroosters
deadroosters
Because you don't really look like that. If we ********, our accidental babies could look like anything.

I LoL'd. That's just too bad.

I guess it is.

Plus, I can't trust a person who doesn't portray themselves honestly, unless they're honest to God unattractive on a complete and total level.

well most people who's had surgery done was made fun of for their appearance constantly during childhood, I certainly was, and then we are expected to embrace the way we look later on, "don't change a thing, you're beautiful" When deep down, I know you're lying. When I was in middle school, boys would ask me out as a joke, I fell for it multiple times, I've been compared to a hairy gorilla, people made the asian eyes at me alone even though I wasn't the only asian in school, the boy I liked told me straight up that I was ugly. That sticks to a person and really decreases their confidence, looks wise, as of now, i would consider myself a bit above average, they have changed a lot since back then, I no longer get made fun of and I actually get compliments, but I can't help but feel insecure, every time someone asks me out to do something (doesn't matter if it is romantic or just hanging out) and he/she isn't really a friend or someone I've known a while, I'd always hesitate thinking what if it's a joke, so if I get something done to boost my confidence, just for myself to feel better, that makes me not trustworthy? rolleyes you really have to look at a person's personality to decide that, and doesn't make up give you the same effect, you have bags under your eyes, cover them up with concealer... THAT'S A LIE! YOU HAVE BAGS BUT YOU COVER THEM UP SO THAT I WOULD THINK YOU DON'T! YOU'RE NOT TRUSTWORTHY!

Yeah, me too. I was a fat kid in school, probably in retrospect it was my mom's fault. It's made me... well, different. I'm better than most for it, though.

School is different from real life. In school, people who talk s**t often profit from their labors. In life, people who talk s**t get hurt, often hospital-bad.

People don't really care about your personality unless they're going to be spending time with you. Kind of ******** up, but it's not the worst thing in life.

There's also the fact that plastic surgery can make you look worse. What're you trying to get done? Do you even need it right now?

true, true, that's how life is, despite what children's books and disney movies keep telling you. Yeah, in many cases plastic surgery makes someone look absolutely ridiculous or sometimes someone with personal issues would get it, feel better for maybe a few months or a few years, and go right back to what they felt before, get more, and the cycle starts over again until well.. we've all seen the news.. but that's not what happens to a majority of the people,most people just get it, and it's done. (I can't speak for those who get it from "doctors" without licenses just to get it for cheap, I'm talking about the legit stuff) The thing I want to get done is called the double eye lid surgery, extremely popular in Korea (If I end up getting it, I'd go to Korea just to get it done, they have the best results there) I don't necessarily need it, but its something I really want, but its not something that's constantly on my mind like some of the people who insists that a boob job is needed in order for them to stay alive.. it's one of the safest procedures, really, it requires no silicone, nothing being inserted into your body, nothing being taken out, it's just cutting part of the eyelid and kind of rearranging the skin to control the shape of it... The weird thing is, no one else on either side of my family has my eyes, not my mom, my dad, my sister, uncles, aunts, no one has it except me .___. I mean I actually had other asians comment on my eyes negatively before, when an asian things your eyes are too small, you know you have it bad. I don't know if this is true, I've heard it can increase your eye sight, I doubt it, but it would be wonderful if its true, I'm as blind as a bat xp

I dunno. I couldn't just sit there and let a man knock me unconscious and cut me up and possibly feel on me while I'm under (you'll never know) unless I was dying.
MisdreavusPrincess
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User ImageI think a lot of people see something wrong with it because they view it as cheating, in a way--getting out of the hand they were dealt in life.

it's ******** up to make fun of an ugly person, but not ******** up to make fun of a human turned monster made by science

Hilarious Prophet

It's fascinating when you realize that there are secure people out there who hurt other people and make them insecure. I wish I would tell you that this hate cycle was going to stop and everything was going to be fine but I won't---even though I can.

4,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
I think people have the right to pursue happiness. If changing the way they look will make them feel better or happy about themselves then I say go for it. But I strongly think they should make sure that it's not a mental thing first, and seek help for that first. because changing the way you look on the outside may only fix how you feel about yourself temporary. I'm one of those people that thinks uniqueness is wonderful. I find the beauty in all people. Even the ones that aren't considered beautiful by the majority. I find un perfect straight white teeth attractive. the shapes of the teeth where they're not all perfectly straight.

I do think it's important to put an effort to look the best you can. I think it's healthy to like the way you look. Which is why I think it's important to seek help first to find out if it's not just depression that can be fixed before you change the way you look permanently.

Dapper Phantom

I have NO IDEA why "natural beauty" is valued when people refuse to accept that what we consider "beautiful" is almost ALWAYS the result of tricks with make up. I really don't get why people think it's "lying" if you use make up or had surgery. I think it's insecurity. Some of them feel or know that make up/surgery cannot make them attractive to others so they lash out.

Witty Lunatic

People fear plastic surgery fro several reasons, all of which being valid, though some being more logical than others, in my humble opinion.

Firstly, plastic surgery has a tendency to be heavily abused in celebrity culture and by the mentally ill, which pollutes the entire subject with a menagerie of people who have warped their own faces and bodies into strange, alien shapes by taking reconstructive surgery too far, to the point where it can generally be considered unhealthy. In particular, when a majority of celebrity culture buy plastic surgery, and are featured in magazines, movies, advertisements, tv shows, etc, it promotes a definition of beauty that is unachievable though natural means, which affects the self-worth of a nation of growing teens and children.

Secondly, I think that the morality of plastic surgery is scary to many people. Ethically, I think that many people subconsciously recognize that for all of the astounding medical changes that reconstructive surgery has achieved, it is still in its infancy. Over time, out ability to construct and mold the human form into what we wish will imporve drastically, to the point where we will be able to actively engineer our children in the womb. Genetic science is already approaching this point today, merely held back by the ethical implications.

Is it morally acceptable to shape your child? To give him/her green eyes instead of blue? What about mental changes, like heightened creativity? More natural intelligence? More geared towards being athletic? All of these qualities may one day be within reach of the scalpel, per say.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it, all the way from nose jobs to the subtle changes of brain chemistry in the womb, but I would caution against the excessive use of it. As someone may have stated earlier, the changes are permanent, so some surgeries, similar to getting tattoos, will seem strange and unnatural at a certain age.

Hilarious Prophet

Desideraht
I have NO IDEA why "natural beauty" is valued when people refuse to accept that what we consider "beautiful" is almost ALWAYS the result of tricks with make up. I really don't get why people think it's "lying" if you use make up or had surgery. I think it's insecurity. Some of them feel or know that make up/surgery cannot make them attractive to others so they lash out.
I am scared of receiving cosmetic surgery. I might like what I see in the mirror because of surgery, but when I age I think it will be odd. I also don't want surgeons to fail and give me an undesirable face when I paid them to make me handsome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff