Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know there's a Computer discussion forum, but it's slow, it's boring, and I want to ask people who aren't computer nerds.

That's really the whole topic, why aren't you using Linux? I'd like to respond to reasons in turn, and maybe pass a little open-source badassery to the masses.

If you don't know what Linux is ( 6 ____6)
you can read about it here.
Because AMD drivers.
Lack of support for my favorite video games.

Fanatical Smoker

I feel intimidated by it. It seems you are required as the end user to know something about code and I don't know anything...
Kelsey MacAilbert
Name em, but I can find support.

Aged Lunatic

Because my IT skills suck. Next question.
village midget
I feel intimidated by it. It seems you are required as the end user to know something about code and I don't know anything...
Fun fact: the only version that has anything to do with code is gentoo. No other ones have any code use. Heck, I bet you've probably been using a version or two without even knowing it. Got a sony game system? got an android phone? Both run linux.

Fanatical Smoker

Yuki the Third
village midget
Fun fact: the only version that has anything to do with code is gentoo. No other ones have any code use. Heck, I bet you've probably been using a version or two without even knowing it. Got a sony game system? got an android phone? Both run linux.
Ha! Awesome, yep just got an android.

Now I have questions...
1) Is the correct pronunciation Line-ux or Lynne-ux?
2) Is it impregnable to viruses?
Jaydi Blaze
Because AMD drivers.

lol the one reason I can't counter.

Kelsey MacAilbert

Like?

village midget

Not at all, the only thing you *have* to be able to do run the OS, which only requires a single basic BIOS command and the ability to get a Linux distro onto a CD/DVD/USB. You don't even have to install it on your computer, you can run it directly from the live image. Some groups will send you a pre-installed copy on a DVD.

It all depends on the distro you get. CrunchBang and Mint are really easy. Then there's all sorts of other distros, for more advanced users, phones, servers, supercomputers, gateways, etc.

GunsmithKitten
Because my IT skills suck. Next question.

Why don't you want to improve your IT skills? I have the good fortune to love computers, but whether we like it or not, having computer skills is increasingly important.
village midget

I try to avoid that since it's like asking "Kirk or Picard?"...it causes nerd rage and endless debates.

Quote:
there's a total of 26 linux viruses, none of which exist outside of a laboratory environment. So no, there's no viruses.
village midget
Yuki the Third
village midget
Ha! Awesome, yep just got an android.

Now I have questions...

1. "Lynne-ux", though it's named after Linus Torvalds.
2. No, but I have never gotten a virus on my linux box, and I browse some pretty sketchy sites on it. More importantly, it's never crashed, ever. Windows 7 is much better than previous versions, but I've still had a few crashes, and a surprise disk failure that Linux would have told me about far in advance.
******** bitches think they can force their damn custom programmed OSs on me like they've got full services and everything.
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Jaydi Blaze
Because AMD drivers.

lol the one reason I can't counter.
Yeah....Fedora worked well but EVERY kernel upgrade I did made me need to reinstall the damned thing AGAIN. woodscrews be damned, I prefer nvidia for linux.
[******** bitches think they can force their damn custom programmed OSs on me like they've got full services and everything........wut?

Aged Lunatic

Je Nique vos Merdiers

Why don't you want to improve your IT skills?

Because college courses aren't free and I don't know enough hackers with time on their hands to teach me pro bono.

Quote:
I have the good fortune to love computers, but whether we like it or not, having computer skills is increasingly important.

Then I'm ******** doomed I guess, because I'm not likely to advance past the Windows without some serious pain. I was good with MS-DOS, but that's it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff