Welcome to Gaia! ::

Je Nique vos Merdiers
Hanma Selis
Because I'm a loyal consumer of Microsoft and they never let me down.
Hopefully Yuki has something better than what I'm going to say, which is:
I don't understand loyalty to a corporation, when they don't even know you exist.
Or loyalty in general, for that matter.

Microsoft makes me pay for software. That's enough for me to consider the free alternative.

Free is a good reason, but it depends where you come from.

For example in the case of my home computer which I use for comfort, the compatibility with games and my familiarity with the layout is typically enough for me to stick with whatever windows I have as long as a can.

Were I however for example build a work computer - likely a laptop that didn't come with an OS, I would get a linux distro because it has all the stuff I need for free, plus since I'm studying software engineering I find I am more used to "working" in a UNIX environment.

I really depends on what you want, from my understanding Linux, or at least a lot of what I've seen is better tailored to more advanced users who want more customisability, where as Windows as an OS has typically taken to hiding a lot of that complexity for user who don't want to worry or care about it.

8,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Because the Linux we had was extremely slow and the menu/graphics were horrible, overall, I didn't like it because of that. I very much prefer Windows, maybe because I grew up with it, I don't know. But I prefer it, be it that you pay for it but heck it _is_ better.
Je Nique vos Merdiers

2. No, but I have never gotten a virus on my linux box, and I browse some pretty sketchy sites on it. More importantly, it's never crashed, ever. Windows 7 is much better than previous versions, but I've still had a few crashes, and a surprise disk failure that Linux would have told me about far in advance.

Disk Failure? What did you do to get that?

My Comp fails on me all the time, but I fully acknowledge that I'm and purposefully stressing my G-Card and my driver, since that's what fails.

I think maybe once or twice I've had an issue where Win7 just refused to boot, and I just went away and then came back 5 minutes later and it was fine again, no long term problem.
The20
tererun the horrifying
I am not exactly sure what it does to hard drives, but i have seen it make sure you cannot re-install windows OS from scratch without doing some tricks to reclaim your drive from linux.
What? It simply partitions and formats the drive like Windows does. The file system isn't compatible, but if you know anything about Windows reinstalling isn't a problem at all. Usually all you have to do is format the drive.

That is what you would think. That is what it says happens. In reality this is not what happens. It has been my experience that on a dual boot system with compatible file formats the linux partition takes over and does something that makes windows unable to read files. Once it does this you cannot reformat the drive with windows. The only thing i thought would do this would be a virus, but some forms of linux must do it. believe me, I know computers, and I too scoffed at this idea. It is not just one person who I have found with this problem. I have had to deal with 5 different people with the same problem. If the drive is the primary HD windows formatting will not be able to reformat the drive. Older versions of windows could not even use the drives as a second drive after linux took it over. The solution was not hard, it just involved an extra step of putting the drive into a 2000 or above machine and formatting it as a data drive first.

I did not do much research on it. i just fixed the problem and the people who wanted linux just decided to have a linux only box.
Yuki the Third
Eveille
My boyfriend, who is a computer nerd, claims that it would be too complicated for me so I just have windows instead.

He does have it though, and it doesn't look so horrible really...but he's still scared I'm gonna type in some asinine command and make my computer explode XD.
the only way you could screw it up is if you somehow got into a terminal(dos) screen and typed in sudo rm -rf ~/* and your password. It's kinda hard to do by accident.

Not if you're a computer science student!

They we're learning terminal commands for the Unix system our Uni uses and one guy almost accidentally tried it because he wasn't paying attention.

That would not have gone down well.
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying
I am not exactly sure what it does to hard drives, but i have seen it make sure you cannot re-install windows OS from scratch without doing some tricks to reclaim your drive from linux.
What? It simply partitions and formats the drive like Windows does. The file system isn't compatible, but if you know anything about Windows reinstalling isn't a problem at all. Usually all you have to do is format the drive.

That is what you would think. That is what it says happens. In reality this is not what happens. It has been my experience that on a dual boot system with compatible file formats the linux partition takes over and does something that makes windows unable to read files.

Just so we are on the same page...

You do know that Linux and Windows use different File Systems and cannot read each other?
tererun the horrifying
Yuki the Third
tererun the horrifying
Yuki the Third
village midget

1) Is the correct pronunciation Line-ux or Lynne-ux?
I try to avoid that since it's like asking "Kirk or Picard?"...it causes nerd rage and endless debates.

Quote:
2) Is it impregnable to viruses?
there's a total of 26 linux viruses, none of which exist outside of a laboratory environment. So no, there's no viruses.

Actually, it is possible to have viruses, but people who write viruses do it for maximum damage. Therefor they presently chose windows, or even write them for macintards before they write them for linux.

Besides why do you need a virus to ******** with linux. That is like pissing in a river full of piss.

Nice try, hun.

Which one are you denying? Is it the fact there are viruses for linux, though i will agree there are far less of them, and virus writers are not really out to get the few people who use linux when you have a world of windows out there. Or are you denying that writing a virus for linux is like pissing in a river of piss? I have to know which one.
Still not biting.
N3bu
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying

That is what you would think. That is what it says happens. In reality this is not what happens. It has been my experience that on a dual boot system with compatible file formats the linux partition takes over and does something that makes windows unable to read files.

You do know that Linux and Windows use different File Systems and cannot read each other?
Linux can read FAT and NTFS.

Fanatical Smoker

tererun the horrifying
village midget
Linteia
I would LOVE to use Linux! Just as soon as Maxis/Blizzard/Adobe/Microsoft/every other program I use on a near daily basis has Linux support, I will be all over that. But for now, I really like my games, need Photoshop and have to be able to open and edit Word documents. I tried fiddling with it once to make it work, but it just wasn't worth it.

You should try Open Office for your word docs, it does everything Word does but it's more intuitive to use. Plus you can insert images into the text and lay them out/resize etc very easily (last time I tried to do this with Word it became a nightmare of fiddling about with formatting) you can save in word format (.doc) or export as pdf with one click of a button. It runs on all the operating systems I have ever heard of and it's free.

if it is for your own amusement, then do it. If you are going to try and learn something that will help you getting a job do not bother. There are certain industry standards and when you hand your boss a non-word formatted document which will either not open, or will display weird in word, your boss is going to fire your dumb a**.

As i told a friend of mine who mailed a magazine advertisement in correl draw to the magazine staff who promptly returned it to me, if you ever mail a graphics project to them in a ******** bullshit format like that i will cut your balls off and feed them to the cat. this is because though you may feel things like linux and it's programs are great, the world works on standards. If you do not work in their standards you simply do not work.

besides, most hiring people search resumes based on certain terms. When you put linux and open office on your resume they do not come up in a search. This is because companies are going to sit you down in front of a windows machine with their discounted licenses for MS office, and you will need to do your work on their system. they are not going to ask you what OS you prefer to work on, or the strange WP programs they would need to install and possibly pay for a random license for just to satisfy you.

if you want to work at home on odd OS or programs then that is your choice, though i would still advise you to get windows or Mac unless you want to spend lots of time doing your own support. However, if you want to work in what is basically a windows world you better damned well know windows too.

To the linux people who are going to b***h, you can complain about the horrors of windows until you are blue in the face. MS does something very important. They get their machines into the working world and they own the user end of it, except fopr possibly their graphic design people who should know MacOS. Linux is a non-commercial OS for home use by geeks. I am not saying there are no jobs out there for it, but even linux gurus will tell you if you want to work you better know the industry standard.
Open Office saves documents in Word format, and pdf. It is totally compatible.
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying

That is what you would think. That is what it says happens. In reality this is not what happens. It has been my experience that on a dual boot system with compatible file formats the linux partition takes over and does something that makes windows unable to read files. Once it does this you cannot reformat the drive with windows. The only thing i thought would do this would be a virus, but some forms of linux must do it. believe me, I know computers, and I too scoffed at this idea. It is not just one person who I have found with this problem. I have had to deal with 5 different people with the same problem. If the drive is the primary HD windows formatting will not be able to reformat the drive. Older versions of windows could not even use the drives as a second drive after linux took it over. The solution was not hard, it just involved an extra step of putting the drive into a 2000 or above machine and formatting it as a data drive first.

I did not do much research on it. i just fixed the problem and the people who wanted linux just decided to have a linux only box.
I"m calling bullshit.
Yuki the Third
N3bu
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying

As a basis, or does it require modification?

Being an ext2 structure I wouldn't expect it to recognise an NTFS file structure without modification.
Yuki the Third
N3bu
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying

Also even given that linux can, I fairly sure windows can't without very significant effort, so it's not surprising that as Tererun says windows cannot read files.
Yuki the Third
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying

I"m calling bullshit.

I actually believe that he did something stupid and reformatted the whole drive as a ext3 drive.
N3bu
tererun the horrifying
The20
tererun the horrifying

Yes, i do. That was not the problem. I am good with computers. I have used linux. I would be what you would call gifted. This is why that problem really amazed me. It was also in commercial releases which tells me it is not a problem but rather it is a feature of the OS.
village midget
tererun the horrifying
village midget
Linteia
I would LOVE to use Linux! Just as soon as Maxis/Blizzard/Adobe/Microsoft/every other program I use on a near daily basis has Linux support, I will be all over that. But for now, I really like my games, need Photoshop and have to be able to open and edit Word documents. I tried fiddling with it once to make it work, but it just wasn't worth it.

You should try Open Office for your word docs, it does everything Word does but it's more intuitive to use. Plus you can insert images into the text and lay them out/resize etc very easily (last time I tried to do this with Word it became a nightmare of fiddling about with formatting) you can save in word format (.doc) or export as pdf with one click of a button. It runs on all the operating systems I have ever heard of and it's free.

if it is for your own amusement, then do it. If you are going to try and learn something that will help you getting a job do not bother. There are certain industry standards and when you hand your boss a non-word formatted document which will either not open, or will display weird in word, your boss is going to fire your dumb a**.

As i told a friend of mine who mailed a magazine advertisement in correl draw to the magazine staff who promptly returned it to me, if you ever mail a graphics project to them in a ******** bullshit format like that i will cut your balls off and feed them to the cat. this is because though you may feel things like linux and it's programs are great, the world works on standards. If you do not work in their standards you simply do not work.

besides, most hiring people search resumes based on certain terms. When you put linux and open office on your resume they do not come up in a search. This is because companies are going to sit you down in front of a windows machine with their discounted licenses for MS office, and you will need to do your work on their system. they are not going to ask you what OS you prefer to work on, or the strange WP programs they would need to install and possibly pay for a random license for just to satisfy you.

if you want to work at home on odd OS or programs then that is your choice, though i would still advise you to get windows or Mac unless you want to spend lots of time doing your own support. However, if you want to work in what is basically a windows world you better damned well know windows too.

To the linux people who are going to b***h, you can complain about the horrors of windows until you are blue in the face. MS does something very important. They get their machines into the working world and they own the user end of it, except fopr possibly their graphic design people who should know MacOS. Linux is a non-commercial OS for home use by geeks. I am not saying there are no jobs out there for it, but even linux gurus will tell you if you want to work you better know the industry standard.
Open Office saves documents in Word format, and pdf. It is totally compatible.

One thing I have come to learn in the computer world. If it is not the native program there will be problems. i understand full well that it can save in word format. this may cause the document to look different when viewed in word.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff