Welcome to Gaia! ::

cyrus_oteka
Woman are mistreaded so because they never really stood up for themselves in ancient times. If they did, there could be a more genderly based/equaled society today.

In "ancient times," it was not at all uncommon for women to be in leadership roles. In ancient Japan, for example, when Chinese scholars first visited, they recorded an account of a high priestess named Himiko who wielded tremendous power. In Japan's case, womens rights have decreased only as Japan has "modernized" and imported ideas from other countries. In America, women played vital and dominant roles in the governing of many indigenous tribes. The current state of society is not, by any means, simply the result of ancient women's failure to "stand up for themselves."
cyrus_oteka
Woman are mistreaded so because they never really stood up for themselves in ancient times. If they did, there could be a more genderly based/equaled society today.

Women were actually valued in ancient times. Women used to compete with and against men and would hold their own. It wasn't until the 1880s that men started the frailty myth that women were incapable of doing things during their periods and in general. Women couldn't exert themselves for fear that they would harm their reproductive organs, after all, that's all they were valued for. Getting out of suppression in this patriarchal society was a harder battle than you think, and it's not over yet.
foggster
cyrus_oteka

In "ancient times," it was not at all uncommon for women to be in leadership roles. In ancient Japan, for example, when Chinese scholars first visited, they recorded an account of a high priestess named Himiko who wielded tremendous power. In Japan's case, womens rights have decreased only as Japan has "modernized" and imported ideas from other countries. In America, women played vital and dominant roles in the governing of many indigenous tribes. The current state of society is not, by any means, simply the result of ancient women's failure to "stand up for themselves."
Agreed. Sexism is likely to happen no matter what. That's why there are probably KKK still in the world. The Black people sure stood up for themselves and it all worked out but racism still largely exists.
Oelthius

Female abuse and discrimination happens for a variety of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with abuse as a child or witnessing such. A historical example of why females are discriminated against by the church is because of the whole pagan paranoia. The execution of more than five million women was frivolous, hypocritical, and rather pointless. But despite the morality of today's society (if there is any at all, actually), the paranoia pertaining to females continue today. That is why many, especially more old-fashioned and conservative folks, tend to be abusive and discriminatory towards females. (I apologize if I've gotten off topic, just in case ^^; ).

I don't know why people think there isn't any morality in our society. Our politics are dictated by morality... the United States is more religious than any other country in the world. x_x We haven't come far from our pilgrim roots.

Unless of course you are talking about society in general and not the US... I just [falsely] assume everyone's always talking about the US
cyrus_oteka

How do you know they didn't stand up for themselves in ancient times? Besides, there was more gender equality in hunter/gather societies than medieval society or post-industrial society even.
rootchild
Oelthius

Female abuse and discrimination happens for a variety of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with abuse as a child or witnessing such. A historical example of why females are discriminated against by the church is because of the whole pagan paranoia. The execution of more than five million women was frivolous, hypocritical, and rather pointless. But despite the morality of today's society (if there is any at all, actually), the paranoia pertaining to females continue today. That is why many, especially more old-fashioned and conservative folks, tend to be abusive and discriminatory towards females. (I apologize if I've gotten off topic, just in case ^^; ).

I don't know why people think there isn't any morality in our society. Our politics are dictated by morality... the United States is more religious than any other country in the world. x_x
I don't think so. What about Al Qaeda? They live and die by their religious principles.
rootchild
Oelthius

I don't know why people think there isn't any morality in our society. Our politics are dictated by morality... the United States is more religious than any other country in the world. x_x We haven't come far from our pagan roots.

Unless of course you are talking about society in general and not the US... I just [falsely] assume everyone's always talking about the US

No, the U.S. isn't the most religious country. We may say that we believe in this or that, but I've found very few actually believe what they claim. It's more the people in middle eastern countries that are more religious. Good try though.

However, I agree. There is very little morality in our society today, but since morality is subjective, there's not a lot to be done. Stupid people will always reign. However intelligence and human evolution has certainly made it's mark.
Lo_Shiavo_alla_Penna
rootchild
Oelthius

I don't know why people think there isn't any morality in our society. Our politics are dictated by morality... the United States is more religious than any other country in the world. x_x We haven't come far from our pagan roots.

No, the U.S. isn't the most religious country. We may say that we believe in this or that, but I've found very few actually believe what they claim. It's more the people in middle eastern countries that are more religious. Good try though.

However, I agree. There is very little morality in our society today, but since morality is subjective, there's not a lot to be done. Stupid people will always reign. However intelligence and human evolution has certainly made it's mark.

[********, I meant to put "puritan" or "pilgrim" roots instead of "pagan". :goes back to correct herself:

We really are a society dictated by morality. I'm currently taking a college course called "Religious Experience in America" and we have to read this book called Hellfire Nation... it's really funny how many similiarities modern America has to those Puritan societies back in the 17th century.

If you don't think morality dictates our society and our politics, just look at the last election. Apparently issues like whether or not women can "kill babies" and gays getting married or not are more important than people fighting and dying in Iraq.
Lo_Shiavo_alla_Penna
rootchild
Oelthius

I think she meant of the developed coutries (first world countries), whch is by no doubt's true.
woman are only mistreated if they don't stand up for them selfs. Also this is not just a woman's issue some woman treat men badly as well this is not a one sided story.
wow. i have no idea what to say, but i completely agree that kids that have abusive parents abuse themselvs and others.
Women are mistreated?.....not where i live.................I probably get beat on more by my girl friends (note space) than by my guy friends. And Im a guy. Just so you dont have to read the sig. Anyway, while an abusive household may lead to........abuse seeking activity (i hope that comes out the way i meant it).....Its really up to the person to decide how he/she will live. Background can only hamper or promote such things.....but you still have to endure life either way. And then you die.
I hate women.
Part of the reason is because SOME guys don't have the balls to admit that women are JUST AS GOOD AS MEN (and in some cases, even better) Men and women both have their weaknesses.

Haha. In my school there's a regular called "He Said, She Said" nd it's a continuous debate on which of the Sexes is the better one. Seriously, men can't go on without women and women can't live without men. (As a whole) It's a love-hate relationship.

But...I digress...

Quote:
exmeromotu wrote:

I hate women.

Well guess what- women hate you too.

(And you can die. It's not fair to women if you hate ALL of them for what ONE of them did to you. Wait, are YOU a woman? Gaaaaah!)
luminousshadow11
cyrus_oteka

Women were actually valued in ancient times. Women used to compete with and against men and would hold their own. It wasn't until the 1880s that men started the frailty myth that women were incapable of doing things during their periods and in general. Women couldn't exert themselves for fear that they would harm their reproductive organs, after all, that's all they were valued for. Getting out of suppression in this patriarchal society was a harder battle than you think, and it's not over yet.

For fear that they would harm their reproductive organs? Why not harm them? It's just like harming any other part of your body; it heals and you get over it. It's not a valid statment to back up why women didn't exert themselves.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff