Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
I thought most comedians were Jewish and Catholic? Well, I mean, I've heard a lot of comedians complain about their nagging orthodox mothers anyways. Plus mentions of Judaism and Catholicism quite a bit. Though, I suppose just because you were raised in a religious environment, doesn't necessarily mean one can't be an atheist.

Fashionable Genius

6,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Probably because more people are becoming atheists. I notice a fair number of black comedians tend to be faithful, though. You also get the Jewish ones, or the ones who were raised Christian. Bill Hicks, for example, was raised Baptist. I'm pretty sure that George Carlin was raised Catholic. It's also hard to tell if the ones who are irreverent in their comedy are actually atheists, or they've moved to Agnosticism, or something else, rather than nothing at all.
daChaosKitty
Probably because more people are becoming atheists.

Is this true? I did a quick search to look for any stats/studies but came up empty. I'm actually really curious as to the validity of that statement.

Fashionable Genius

6,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
tuxkatz6
daChaosKitty

Is this true? I did a quick search to look for any stats/studies but came up empty. I'm actually really curious as to the validity of that statement.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111885128
daChaosKitty
tuxkatz6
daChaosKitty

]http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111885128

Ehhh...I'm not buying it. The article you posted seems to say more that non-religious affiliation is on the rise, which is definitely not the same as being Atheist.

The study itself says:

Quote:
Who exactly are the Nones? “None” is not a movement, but a label for a diverse group of people who do not identify with any of the myriad of religious options in the American religiousmarketplace – the irreligious, the unreligious, the anti-religious, and the anti-clerical. Some believe inGod; some do not. Some may participate occasionally in religious rituals; others never will.Nones are easily misunderstood. On the one hand, only a small minority are atheists. On the otherhand, it is also not correct to describe them as “unchurched” or “unaffiliated” on the assumptionthat they are mainly theists and religious searchers who are temporarily between congregations. Yetanother incorrect assumption is that large proportions of Nones are anti-rationalist proponents of New Age and supernatural ideas. As we will show, they are more likely to be rational skeptics.

And page 11 goes into it in more detail.

Oh well, was just curious.

Fashionable Genius

6,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
tuxkatz6
Ehhh...I'm not buying it. The article you posted seems to say more that non-religious affiliation is on the rise, which is definitely not the same as being Atheist.

The study itself says:

Quote:
Who exactly are the Nones? “None” is not a movement, but a label for a diverse group of people who do not identify with any of the myriad of religious options in the American religiousmarketplace – the irreligious, the unreligious, the anti-religious, and the anti-clerical. Some believe inGod; some do not. Some may participate occasionally in religious rituals; others never will.Nones are easily misunderstood. On the one hand, only a small minority are atheists. On the otherhand, it is also not correct to describe them as “unchurched” or “unaffiliated” on the assumptionthat they are mainly theists and religious searchers who are temporarily between congregations. Yetanother incorrect assumption is that large proportions of Nones are anti-rationalist proponents of New Age and supernatural ideas. As we will show, they are more likely to be rational skeptics.

And page 11 goes into it in more detail.

Oh well, was just curious.

True. It's hard to know for certain, because the actual censuses don't normally list "Atheist" specifically.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/03/21/unbelievable-atheists-to-rally-in-record-numbers/
In that article it states that that group is rising in numbers.

Their numbers, whether they're outright Atheists, or secularists, or rational thinkers, or whatever they want to call themselves... well, are you certain that the comedians are atheist? Or are they simply secular, or rational? I could see how they would leave religion for spirituality, or possibly even some self-defined belief (spaghetti monster, and whatnot). I'm pretty sure Bill Hicks was a Baptist, of sorts, even when he was older, if nothing else, he was certainly a spiritualist, given how his experimenting with mushrooms affected him. I've tended to notice a lot of black Christian comics (Stever Harvey, Bernie Mac, etc.), probably Christian (specifically Catholic) Hispanic comedians (Carlos Mencia, Gabriel Iglesias, etc.), Jewish comedians (Adam Sandler, for example), and lapsed Catholics (Denis Leary, George Carlin, etc.).

Out of curiosity, though, what leads you to suggest that more comedians are Atheist?

Saint Werewolf

16,350 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
Because they don't have any limitations on what they can joke about,
Like me -
I'm atheist, and a proud one at that.
I'll just joke about anything I want to.
Even if it offends religious people.
Bleh.

Fashionable Genius

6,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Dark Cookiez
Like me -
Bleh.

That's what I don't get. Jewish people joke about being Jewish all the time. They can joke about other groups in relation to them, too. Same with Catholics. Being an Atheist doesn't expand your horizons on what you can joke about, it limits your experience, especially if you were raised one.

Saint Werewolf

16,350 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
daChaosKitty
Dark Cookiez
Like me -
Bleh.

That's what I don't get. Jewish people joke about being Jewish all the time. They can joke about other groups in relation to them, too. Same with Catholics. Being an Atheist doesn't expand your horizons on what you can joke about, it limits your experience, especially if you were raised one.

Huh, my friends never joke about their religion. I just assumed it was disrespectful to their god.
I was raised a Christian, turned into an atheist.
Dark Cookiez
Like me -
Bleh.

I'm not getting this idea either. I'm Christian and I have no limit to what I can joke about.
I joke about things that offend religious people, including other Christians - but they (usually) know I'm joking.

Maybe the real answer here is that "religious people" are more able to laugh at themselves than atheists.
(Of course, even if that's true, it's only part of the answer)

Saint Werewolf

16,350 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
tuxkatz6
Dark Cookiez
Like me -
Bleh.

I'm not getting this idea either. I'm Christian and I have no limit to what I can joke about.
I joke about things that offend religious people, including other Christians - but they (usually) know I'm joking.

Maybe the real answer here is that "religious people" are more able to laugh at themselves than atheists.

Ehh.
More able to laugh at themselves?
I highly doubt any one group is more able to laugh at themselves then another.

Fashionable Genius

6,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Dark Cookiez
daChaosKitty
Dark Cookiez
Like me -
Bleh.

Huh, my friends never joke about their religion. I just assumed it was disrespectful to their god.
I was raised a Christian, turned into an atheist.

It's just a healthy dose of irreverence. Your friends are probably far too serious about their religion.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
daChaosKitty
Being an Atheist doesn't expand your horizons on what you can joke about, it limits your experience, especially if you were raised one.

My lack of belief in a deity doesn't impair my ability to read. I've read scripture moreso than many people of their own faith and as such have a great understanding of the ridiculous principles that are so much fun to poke at.

I can, for example, make the joke that since Christians believe that prayer is talking to God, and Jesus is the Son of God, but also God incarnate...

When Jesus prays to his God, is he talking to himself?

Can't say my horizons are limited so much as clear of bias.

Hilarious Genius

Freedom of thought.

Hilarious Genius

tuxkatz6
Dark Cookiez
Like me -
Bleh.

Let's put this to the test. Repeat the following words out loud: "I renounce Jesus Christ as my lord and savior." Fun and games, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff