Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Member 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Why are there so many atheist comedians?

Fanatical Prophet

You mean why are there so many Atheists with a sense of humor?

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Because they're funnier.

Beloved Prophet

It's either joke around, or start cutting off heads.

OG Kitten

They aren't so careful with what they joke around im guessing.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I guess atheists find fewer things offensive, since they don't have any strict religious teaching to adhere to.

Though there are some pretty funny Muslims comedians. I myself am rather fond of Maz Jobrani. cat_whee

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Because Christian comedy isn't funny. emotion_awesome

This is ED material....how?
I don't know that it's necessarily true that there are "so many" atheist comedians (I'm assuming in comparison with those that follow some religion or faith). There are many outspoken about their atheism, but I don't know if it's true that more comedians are Atheist.

I think the difference is that those who speak out about their Atheism, usually in their routines, do so in mainstream appearances. Comedians who are of a certain faith usually don't mention it in their material unless it's meant for a specialized audience.

I know that there are definitely many non-athiest comedians out there, and I have seen/am planning to see a few. In college, we had a Muslim and a Jewish comedian both on the same night as part of a "Festival for Peace" program. Even though they were brought specifically because of their religions, their faith only constituted a small part of their material.

My church is having a popular Christian comedian this summer, and I plan on attending that show. The comedian does tend to pigeonhole himself though by labeling himself as a "Christian comedian", though I'm sure he'll have material that has nothing to do with Christianity or any religion.

Another thing I've noticed too is that the comedians I have seen who I know are religious do not bash other religions or Atheism the way that Atheist comedians tend to bash atheism. And many comedians never even bring up their religious beliefs.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Guys, i think OP is starting to tell a joke. He's gonna make a great punchline as long as someone responds properly! Okay okay here we go...

*Ahem* Well GEE OP! Idunno! Why ARE we atheists so damn good at comedy?

*drum buildup*

In case you were serious though...it's probably because the restriction of drugs, alcohol, certain foods, certain sexual pleasures, certain marriages, ceertain words, certain attitudes, and certain ways of THINKING have left Atheists with slightly...

More comedic material to work with?

Liberal Warlord

4,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Savethefails

Because they are hilarious, I mean have you watched Ray comfort's youtube channel? it's the funniest thing ever. Him, Eric Hovind, Venomfangx, Sye ten bruggencate, and William' lane craig, that is some funny s**t right there, I suggest you watch them they are hilarious

Eloquent Streaker

Ontological Empiricism
Because Christian comedy isn't funny.
Ironically enough, one of the most hilarious comedy routines I've seen was Bob Nelson doing a family-friendly version of his skits at a Christian comedy club.

Not really "Christian comedy" per se, but still.
They think they're funny. Godless scum.
Requiem in Mortis
Ontological Empiricism
Ironically enough, one of the most hilarious comedy routines I've seen was Bob Nelson doing a family-friendly version of his skits at a Christian comedy club.

Where can I find a mask like that one?

Eloquent Streaker

redroosters
Requiem in Mortis
Ontological Empiricism

Where can I find a mask like that one?
Epic Fail Hat. It's about 15-30k on the Marketplace.
Savethefails

Probably because they don't have a wizard telling them what they can and can't do. So there is more to talk about

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff