Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you believe in alien life?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 7, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 >

Fuzzy Necromancer
So you seriously believe all those crackpot stories from rednecks about getting abducted?
I didn't say that at all. First off, simply because one instance of alledged "aliens" is disproved, that does not mean that aliens don't exist. I could grab some guy off the street and claim he was Richard Nixon, but sadly that does not mean he is non-existant.

What? It does not mean he is non-exisistant? You mean it does mean that he is existant? Unless this was a mistake, then you've just given me a week's worth of confusion.
angryfisheatenbycat
It makes perfect sense if you don't believe the universe was created entirely for the purspose of suporting human life, and human life only...

It's a damned huge universe, it would be a shame if all that lovely matter out there was going to waste!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Alright. Our planet is in the outer spiral arm of the galaxy, containing billions of stars. Said galaxy is one of many in a possibly infinite universe. This makes it statistically all but impossible for ours to be the only planet in the universe.

So you seriously believe all those crackpot stories from rednecks about getting abducted?
I didn't say that at all. First off, simply because one instance of alledged "aliens" is disproved, that does not mean that aliens don't exist. I could grab some guy off the street and claim he was Richard Nixon, but sadly that does not mean he is non-existant.

The real question, is not whether aliens exist or not, but if any intelligent ones are mentally similar enough to us to communicate or capable of traversing the vast chasm of interplanetary void to reach us (or visa versa).

However, one thing is assured.
Whatever aliens may be, they will not be star trek aliens. It is childishly moronic to think that a creature from another planet, with an entire seperate climate, size, chemical composition, and evolutionary history, would be identical to humans save a personality quirk and a skin condition. There are no big chested hot space babes, no alien would be attractive by human standards due to the vast physiological difference even if it had mammary glands. Aliens do not speak perfect english with a Russian accent.

Your thoughts?

wow, i totally agree with everything you just said. i'v always beleived in aliens, but not the stories about them. there isnt a snowflakes chance in hell they would EVER come here to our planet, its just not possible
shinobi_hunter
Fuzzy Necromancer

What? It does not mean he is non-exisistant? You mean it does mean that he is existant? Unless this was a mistake, then you've just given me a week's worth of confusion.

No that was quite understandable. If he claimed some guy was Richard Nixon and it turns out that it wasn't... it doesn't mean that Richard Nixon doesn't exist somewhere else out there.
I suppose it is possible for aliens to exist, though I have no idea why anyone thinks aliens have a desire to visit earth. A species technologically advanced enough to reach this planet would probably be extremely intelligent and have no use for us.

It is interesting to think about all the historical alien enounters though. Alien like objects appear in ancient art and the concept that extraterrestrials exist isnt new. For example: When people began to accept the modern version of the solar system way back when, after they discovered the copernican view wasnt correct, a lot of people worried about aliens for religious reasons. If earth wasnt really the center of the universe, then could that mean they were wrong about being alone as well? That would challenge the beliefs of the time.

I personally dont believe in supernatural stuff, but when it comes to aliens the statistics just dont support the idea that humans are alone. The universe is waaaaay to be to be so presumptuous.

I mean, stuff like this can surely be a hoax:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But what about things like this? Where you can see the man and dog looking up at the object in the sky. And this painting is old too: Painting of the Madonna and Saint Giovannino

And this is even older: 5000_Year_Old_Australian_Aborigine_Painting.jpg

As for the attention whoring rednecks, they are full of it, in my opinion.
Youll find that almost every picture from the middle ages contains strange flying objects, it had something to do with christainity, I remember this from a copy of skeptic I never bothered to buy sweatdrop

The aboriginal painting, well, its obvious the painter was using his imagination. The idea of it representing alien life is like saying 'Meet the Parents' proved that the government is trying to control our minds through toothpaste, its the most random assertation possible.
My parents are aliens.

Shirtless Raider

8,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Nerd 50
I think I love you.

The idea makes so much mor sense than sci-fi, even if it is very entertaining. Though my worry is that when we find life on other planets we won't recognize it for what it is. We won't realize that the organism because it is so vastly different from our idea of life.
Aliens with a russian accent xd

But I do think aliens exist.
Well, if one believes that part in the Bible that speaks of "other sheep" (aka, other followers/believers) then certainly it is possible that other sentient life exists. Of course, one might argue that God created all sentient life in "His image," and those who believe "His image" is the human form could argue that other sentient life must also be humanoid.

Similarly, those who argue that "His image" is not so much the physical body but the soul, spirit, character, personality, or whatever can definitely argue that we have no clue.

3nodding
And even if they are out there, how are we going to find them, or they find us? They could just be plants or microscopic insect-like things.
you know what i don't get? if aliens are intelligent and technologically advanced enough to travel all this ways to our planet, why do they keep crashing? Oo
Quote:
The real question, is not whether aliens exist or not, but if any intelligent ones are mentally similar enough to us to communicate or capable of traversing the vast chasm of interplanetary void to reach us (or visa versa).

True. We may not even be able to recognize alien life forms as "life." They may be something completely outside of our own experiences, and we may not have any basis for comparison with which to judge or even comprehend them.
see what people don't see are the obvious reasons of why there is life out there. For one we're not the only living creatures out there and two, Life can be made in different ways, and aliens may not even be aliens, it may be another form of humans, mabye outcasts.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Alright. Our planet is in the outer spiral arm of the galaxy, containing billions of stars. Said galaxy is one of many in a possibly infinite universe. This makes it statistically all but impossible for ours to be the only planet in the universe.

However, one thing is assured.
Whatever aliens may be, they will not be star trek aliens. It is childishly moronic to think that a creature from another planet, with an entire seperate climate, size, chemical composition, and evolutionary history, would be identical to humans save a personality quirk and a skin condition. There are no big chested hot space babes, no alien would be attractive by human standards due to the vast physiological difference even if it had mammary glands. Aliens do not speak perfect english with a Russian accent.

Your thoughts?

in an infanite universe, there would be an infanite # of planits that could suport an infanite # of different life forms. this also means that there are an infanite # of planits with humans on them, an an infanite # of them with any mutation, such as skin conditions/personality quarks. and with infanite # of humen/ humen lookalikes, at least some of them would have to be hot babes with big boobs. the chances of perfict english though is, in theory, 1/infinity/# of words in english language. in practical terms though, we would have to consider the # of possable sounds we can make, and the longest word that would stell be usable in a normal combersation, such as water instead of asldfslkfjskldjfskldjflskdjfslkdjfslakdfj as a word. that plus the dispertion of vowels drops infinatie to a much smaller #.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff