Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you believe in alien life?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 7, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 >

Alright. Our planet is in the outer spiral arm of the galaxy, containing billions of stars. Said galaxy is one of many in a possibly infinite universe. This makes it statistically all but impossible for ours to be the only planet in the universe.

So you seriously believe all those crackpot stories from rednecks about getting abducted?
I didn't say that at all. First off, simply because one instance of alledged "aliens" is disproved, that does not mean that aliens don't exist. I could grab some guy off the street and claim he was Richard Nixon, but sadly that does not mean he is non-existant.

The real question, is not whether aliens exist or not, but if any intelligent ones are mentally similar enough to us to communicate or capable of traversing the vast chasm of interplanetary void to reach us (or visa versa).

However, one thing is assured.
Whatever aliens may be, they will not be star trek aliens. It is childishly moronic to think that a creature from another planet, with an entire seperate climate, size, chemical composition, and evolutionary history, would be identical to humans save a personality quirk and a skin condition. There are no big chested hot space babes, no alien would be attractive by human standards due to the vast physiological difference even if it had mammary glands. Aliens do not speak perfect english with a Russian accent.

Your thoughts?
...woah so ... true stare
If there is life on other planets, there is bound to be a dominant species. However, we have no way of knowing whether they would have advanced nearly as far as humans have to make a change. For example, before the dawn of mankind, different periods of animals remained pretty much the same for millions of years without any techonological progression.
I honestly (and somewhat disappointly) believe that the chances of another race on another place developing to the point of being able to use techonology during the time that humans will exist is very small, unless we are extremely lucky.
Generic Hero #37
If there is life on other planets, there is bound to be a dominant species. However, we have no way of knowing whether they would have advanced nearly as far as humans have to make a change. For example, before the dawn of mankind, different periods of animals remained pretty much the same for millions of years without any techonological progression.
I honestly (and somewhat disappointly) believe that the chances of another race on another place developing to the point of being able to use techonology during the time that humans will exist is very small, unless we are extremely lucky.

Exactly. I more or less said that in my opening post.

Sadly we are in the out-of-the-way abandoned gas station of the galaxy. If we were closer to the center rather than stuck near the edge of the outer spiral arm, interstellar travel would be more realistic and hope of contacting alien life greater. *sighs*
I agree. We are mere specks of dust compared to the vastness of the Universe. It would be stupid and self-centered to assume that our small, meaningless planet is the only one with proper resources for life.

We (as in humans) have been stargazing for so long, we need to believe there is something exciting out there. For some, bacteria and early one-cell lifeforms or such just don't equal exciting, hence the vast amounts of people who believe in "little green men", an alien race who are way beyond us in intelligence.

What most haven't thought of is that if there is such a thing as "the most advanced creature in excistence", that creature could be found here on Earth. We cannot be sure little green men in their flying saucers excist, unless of course the Stargate program is reality and we just don't know. Therefore, we don't know what kind of lifeforms excist in other solar systems, in other Galaxies. It is entirely possible that there excist other races that have made it off their planets, but they aren't necessarily beyond the "Sputnik" phase. Then again, they could have more advanced technology than ours, but that still doesn't mean it's advanced enough to visit faraway planets, such as Earth.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Alright. Our planet is in the outer spiral arm of the galaxy, containing billions of stars. Said galaxy is one of many in a possibly infinite universe. This makes it statistically all but impossible for ours to be the only planet in the universe.

So you seriously believe all those crackpot stories from rednecks about getting abducted?
I didn't say that at all. First off, simply because one instance of alledged "aliens" is disproved, that does not mean that aliens don't exist. I could grab some guy off the street and claim he was Richard Nixon, but sadly that does not mean he is non-existant.

The real question, is not whether aliens exist or not, but if any intelligent ones are mentally similar enough to us to communicate or capable of traversing the vast chasm of interplanetary void to reach us (or visa versa).

Whatever aliens may be, they will not be star trek aliens. It is childishly moronic to think that a creature from another planet, with an entire seperate climate, size, chemical composition, and evolutionary history, would be identical to humans save a personality quirk and a skin condition. There are no big chested hot space babes, no alien would be attractive by human standards due to the vast physiological difference even if it had mammary glands. Aliens do not speak perfect english with a Russian accent.

Your thoughts?
And even with your statement, it proves nothing that aliens can't in fact have mammary glands and look just like humans. LoL, for one, we know nothing. Without witness, we can't relate to anything. Maybe there is a a parallel planet to us in which we are mutated, lol. Some form of foreshadowing what mankind will become after someone decides to radiate the whole world. xp
Divine_Ryuujin
Fuzzy Necromancer

Your thoughts?
And even with your statement, it proves nothing that aliens can't in fact have mammary glands and look just like humans. LoL, for one, we know nothing. Without witness, we can't relate to anything. Maybe there is a a parallel planet to us in which we are mutated, lol. Some form of foreshadowing what mankind will become after someone decides to radiate the whole world. xp

I relate again to probability. The sheer variety and differences make it impossible to have something like that, and even then its doubtful they could interbreed. Look at the variety you get on this planet alone.
Well the univesrse is infinite or so it seems, so there is an infinite amount of possibilities for big boobed space babes.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Divine_Ryuujin
Fuzzy Necromancer

Your thoughts?

I relate again to probability. The sheer variety and differences make it impossible to have something like that, and even then its doubtful they could interbreed. Look at the variety you get on this planet alone.
I'm not trying to argue more than I am trying to tell about the infinite possibilities. Why could you say it's doubtful they can interbreed? What concrete eveidence do you hold to say the probability of their race to be even somewhat similar to us?

This is a grat topic for discussion, but all I'm saying is in essence, we really don't know. We haven't seen in true light who they are, and more importantly if they exist. As it stands now, they are only an image created by the minds of the cunning media.
there are billions and billions of stars out there its hard not to believe that there is another living species equivilent to earths out there.
Fuzzy Necromancer

Your thoughts?

There are translators in Startrek. You cannot claim that aliens are or are not anything, by your own logic you can't. So you may as well shut your face.
I believe that there are quite a number of planets with intelligent lifeforms in our Universe, but I doubt that they'll ever see us or, on the odd chance that they do see us, care about us much.
Space may be infinite, but matter is probably not. Henceforth it's not infinite possibilities,

And assuming there where space babes, they would be almost impossible to find.
It's doubtful that they could breed with us when you factor in all the probabilities of genetic similarity close enough compounded by the other factors.

Virtuous Saint

1,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
It makes perfect sense if you don't believe the universe was created entirely for the purspose of suporting human life, and human life only...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff