Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who here has heard of the Healthy life Extension Movement? It is a cause that is trying to get more funding into research that will make it so that humans will be able to live longer and lead more productive lives when they are older.

The Methuselah Foundation is the leading medical charity at the forefront of this cause, another person leading the the cause is a man named Dr Aubrey De Grey, a biomedical Gerontologist from Cambridge university. He has developed SENS an engineering approach to repair the damage caused by the aging process.

Please I want to here your thoughts about this. It is a very worthwhile cause because when you are older (age 70-100) do you want to be functionless? Do you want to have dementia? Do you want to have an age related disease that will kill you both slowly and painfully?
When I'm 70+, I REALLY don't want to still be working.
Lord Cameron

If I'm even still alive by then, I'll probably kill myself. That's too old.

Unless I'm totally awesome and contribute awesomeness to the world, like Clint Eastwood. People like that can stick around.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Lord Cameron

I already had a 92 year old coworker.
Fella looked alive. I hope to still be working when I'm old.
Nines19
Lord Cameron

Unless I'm totally awesome and contribute awesomeness to the world, like Clint Eastwood. People like that can stick around.
oh common, thats non-sense. If you lived to be 70+, you'd want to finish off your ride unless your life was like terrible or something.
Lord Cameron
Nines19
Lord Cameron

oh common, thats non-sense. If you lived to be 70+, you'd want to finish off your ride unless your life was like terrible or something.

Finish off my ride at the end of trusty Shotty, sure.
By then I'll have seen pretty much all of it. I'll get bored.

I hate being bored.
Cory Shallow
Lord Cameron

Ugh, I bet he had to work with that 42% tax rate.

I could see myself still working at 92 if my work was something I loved, like if I had a job playing chess,

I couldn;t be 92, and work at a Wallmart, that would be hell.
Nines19
Lord Cameron
Nines19
Lord Cameron

I hate being bored.
I always find bordom is for the weakminded. there are so many things to ponder, how can you ever get bored?
Lord Cameron
Nines19
Lord Cameron
Nines19
Lord Cameron

I hate being bored.
I always find bordom is for the weakminded. there are so many things to ponder, how can you ever get bored?

Being bored is not having nothing to do; it is not wanting to do anything.

Familiar Friend

i would only want to be really old if i felt good, looked good, wasn't in pain, could do things i enjoy, etc
people should worry about living better, not living longer, imo
-emily-dontworrybehappy-
i would only want to be really old if i felt good, looked good, wasn't in pain, could do things i enjoy, etc
people should worry about living better, not living longer, imo

Well with the research and progress going on in the fields of science you will be able to live a life that is both better and longer
Lord Cameron

If that is your choice that is fine with me. What I'm saying here is that in the near future there will be anti aging therapies to repair all the damage of aging in your body and restore you to a youthful state.

What I argue is that people should have the choice to live as long as they want to and if they don't want to live for hundreds of years that's fine, they just have to stop taking the anti aging therapies.
Yes, life is good; or, at least, it will be. I'd definitely like more of it.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Lord Cameron
Cory Shallow
Lord Cameron

Ugh, I bet he had to work with that 42% tax rate.

I could see myself still working at 92 if my work was something I loved, like if I had a job playing chess,

I couldn;t be 92, and work at a Wallmart, that would be hell.

Er, actually I was under the table at that place.
Good times.
Cory Shallow
Lord Cameron

That's great to here! There are populations of people in this world who regularly live to be over 100 and they are more healthy than most 60 year olds in the western world. An example would be Okinawa japan.

If your interested in this research Cory Head over to http://methuselahfoundation.org/ It is very likely you will work to that and and hopefully beyond that age given the rate of proggress research is going nowadays.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff