Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
There should be no draft to begin with. I'll be damned if I'm made to serve in a war I don't support surprised
The20
Queen of Mercury
The20
Quote:
This would help dispel the notion that women are of a weaker gender and would enhance gender equality.
On average women are physically weaker. How exactly are laws changing facts?

What, pray tell, does that have to do with holding a weapon? Are you actually claiming no female soldier carries a weapon? When you join the military, you have two jobs. Your first job is to carry and use a weapon when necessary. Your second is whatever you are choosing to focus on, be it medic, helicopter pilot, or Navy Seal.
What has holding a weapon to do with being physically strong?

That was my point. He said that it would get rid of the notion that women are of a weaker gender. You immediately jumped to the 'physical difference' when it didn't appear he was referring to that in terms of military service.
Keltoi Samurai
Queen of Mercury
Keltoi Samurai
Queen of Mercury
Tuken
Why are we considering this if the draft isn't supposed to be in effect anymore?

Where did you get the idea it isn't in effect anymore? It is inactive, but during the most recent wars the US Government came perilously close to reactivating it. This is being considered because males who do not register are charged with a federal felony. They are forced to add their names to a list. It is a matter of gender equality. Either do away with it entirely or make it equal and make females subject to the same requirements and penalties.

but making women subject to it would be misogyny, and falls under the same category as " treating female domestic abusers like male domestic abusers," and the like.

it's all a straw man used by misogynists to say "it's not real equality until I can beat women."

see, it's a man's place to be at risk of violence or death, so it's OK to force them if you have to. women need to be allowed to volunteer, but never forced. that's true equality

I really hope you're being sarcastic here. If not then the sexism is deplorable. It is hardly misogynistic to make the genders wholly equal and an abuser is an abuser, they should be dealt with equally as well. One should not receive a lighter sentence because they have boobs and a v****a.

it's not my opinion, but the local Social Justice crowd usually expresses this sentiment entirely without irony in these manner of topics.

they seem to be taking awhile to show up, so I figured I'd get it started for 'em.

Expect you know, none of us have advocated that men be subject to the draft and women not be.
ARK3R
Queen of Mercury
Many matriarchal societies have had it in reverse; the men stayed home with the children while the women were the warriors.

Which societies did that?

off the top of my head? The amazons.

Then there's this, form the US:
Quote:

Women Soldiers in the Civil War

There were over 400 documented cases of women who fought as soldiers in the civil war. Disguised as men, they fought alongside others for their cause.
Women in the Civil War

Thisarticle on ancient matriarchy mentions societies as well where women were soldiers.

ARK3R
Queen of Mercury
In other societies it is equal, either can be warriors or homemakers.

In more modern societies we have had both women and men become warriors. In tribal days, when there were not nearly as many people in a society it was too risky to allow women to be killed in battle.

So are you trying to change your original claim that its just not done?

ARK3R
Queen of Mercury

Get your head out of the stone age and join the majority of society that knows women are as capable as men.

Well it depends on what you are talking about. Women are far more capable than men at certain things. Just as men are more capable than women at certain things (demographically speaking).

I was simply pointing out your sexist belief that women aren't capable of being soldiers.

ARK3R
Queen of Mercury
We may be weaker physically, but that has little bearing on holding a weapon.

There is far more to being a capable soldier than that. Also, I am not "sexist". I love women and am quite nice to most of the women I have come across.

Honey, you're talking to an Iraq veteran, I am well aware of what it takes to be a soldier. Like the saying goes, I call it like I see it. Your post reeked of sexism. Saying 'I like women' has little to do with it. There are many sexists who like the gender they're sexist against. Being a sexist simply means you think that the other gender is weaker, less capable of doing what your gender can. Which is exactly what you said.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Honestly, I doubt there would be a draft that will include women. Women can already sign up for the army, so what's the point? And what about kids? Many kids don't have grandparents, and their aunts and uncles will probably be off to war should there be a draft for both genders. Does that mean older kids have to work in factories, and what not should there be a draft?

Part of the reason there is not draft for women is because, as sexist as this sounds, someone needs to stay behind to help keep the country running. So the petition will probably be rejected.
The Willow Of Darkness

Expect you know, none of us have advocated that men be subject to the draft and women not be.

keltoi is pretty much the poster boy for refusing reality and replacing it with something that suits his victim complex more.

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
Robot Macai
They bumped it up to require 100,000 signatures? Cocksuckers.

Probably has something to do with the deathstar petition going through. xd
Queen of Mercury
The20
Queen of Mercury
The20
Quote:
This would help dispel the notion that women are of a weaker gender and would enhance gender equality.
On average women are physically weaker. How exactly are laws changing facts?

What, pray tell, does that have to do with holding a weapon? Are you actually claiming no female soldier carries a weapon? When you join the military, you have two jobs. Your first job is to carry and use a weapon when necessary. Your second is whatever you are choosing to focus on, be it medic, helicopter pilot, or Navy Seal.
What has holding a weapon to do with being physically strong?

That was my point. He said that it would get rid of the notion that women are of a weaker gender. You immediately jumped to the 'physical difference' when it didn't appear he was referring to that in terms of military service.
I always thought the "weaker gender" is referring to physical strength. Is it now?

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
ARK3R
That would be a disaster in my opinion. Women are, on average, far less capable soldiers than men. They are physically weaker than men on average. That's just an observation of reality. Men have always been the soldiers, its the effective strategy.

I would like to throw you into battle with the "Dahomey Amazons" and watch you s**t yourself in fear. Seriously.

There is also a long standing tradition of women from various African tribes and countries fighting as soldiers.

This also ignores plenty of well trained women who were pirates, warriors, and soldiers through out history and culture.

Basically, you're full of s**t.

Ruthless Gekko

But I don't want to die for my country. ;_;

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Yoshpet
The only petition I'll sign is one to abolish the Selective Service. I owe no one my ability to kill.

To be fair nowadays it's quite useless

if the US needs to start conscription it's obviously in a very bad situation (like a invasion) where some sort of non-pickly conscription would of already started anyway.
I'd like to see draft's removed all together, but I'm all for equalty in that regard. but I'm also a realist. Most but not all woman are going to be less physically able then most men, again not always but it is the general case. I'd rather be a sexist who is able to live when the guy in my squad is able to carry me out of a bad situation then a dead feminist.

Put woman on the front lines, but don't risk anyone's lives to do so, know the limit.

Magical Girl

Vixianna
Robot Macai

[Amused]

Their lack of faith is disturbing.
Vixianna
Robot Macai

Maybe. I think that Obongo probably just wants to reduce the number of petitions he has to issue a serious response to (or any response at all) entirely. It's not like any of these petitions has gotten him to change his mind on anything.

Aged Regular

6,350 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Invisibility 100
black_wing_angel
Keltoi Samurai
black_wing_angel
Keltoi Samurai
Tuken
Why are we considering this if the draft isn't supposed to be in effect anymore?

are you a male? did you sign up for Selective Services on your 18th birthday, like you are required by law to do?

the Selective Services IS the Draft. what was eliminated was what's called the "peacetime draft," meaning that they'd draft people if there weren't enough volunteers for service, regardless of whether there was a war or not.

without that, they require a war to be declared to activate the draft, which hasn't been too difficult to do here lately.

I never understood what the limits on it were. Aren't you ineligible after 25, or something like that?

you have to update them with your current address until you are 25, but I don't know about being exempt.

Oh really? I see.

I don't think I'd be eligible anyway. At least, not as a first round pick. Only son, below average height, and ADHD. Not exactly prime qualities for a jarhead.

If putting you in war would end a bloodline, you would not be put in. Since you're an only child, that would end your family's bloodline....Unless you have a kid.

But that's all if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces