Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why are we considering this if the draft isn't supposed to be in effect anymore?
I've been behind this idea 100% for years. I always hated feminists who wanted equal rights but not take the equal risks that go with those rights. Women are physically weaker yeah, but they can march and fire a rifle just as well as a man. And I'm willing to bet they could negotiate an obstacle course better than a man.
May as well, don't want to be sexist but the truth is we may never need the draft with so many volunteers so there's no need to worry. (and did you perhaps just create this petition? neutral Wow pretty low number so far)
That would be a disaster in my opinion. Women are, on average, far less capable soldiers than men. They are physically weaker than men on average. That's just an observation of reality. Men have always been the soldiers, its the effective strategy.

Greedy Consumer

The20
Quote:
This would help dispel the notion that women are of a weaker gender and would enhance gender equality.
On average women are physically weaker. How exactly are laws changing facts?
Thats because women are shunned from football and stuff. Which is because of society, In fact pretty sure battles have been fought hundreds or thousands of years ago with women in them, read it somewhere. Either way a gun is a gun and not a giant sword or something, so being physically weaker doesnt mean useless. But I suspect if they have to get into a cqc fight where a knife may be used, would be the biggest issue, in which case she doesnt have a sack to hit however so she has that advantage over the men she is facing. Either way its more about equal rights. Besides with women volunteers we may not even need a draft in the future because we have twice the people serving possibly, of course there's the chance that its just removing female nurses and making them soldiers and increasing the amount of male nurses or medics or whatever so overall no more people end up joining. But if we want to break it down that far we could also note that allowing women to be drafted is another step towards removing gender bias which would in the future raise more children females who wouldn't mind joining the army because it is legally allowed, because as we all know everyone can think laws are morals.

Greedy Consumer

ARK3R
That would be a disaster in my opinion. Women are, on average, far less capable soldiers than men. They are physically weaker than men on average. That's just an observation of reality. Men have always been the soldiers, its the effective strategy.
if women fear their lack of strength http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2771/wimps-have-faster-reaction-time they will have a faster reaction time to strike enemies first. Other studies have shown females tend to have slower reaction times but that's because from a young age males are promoted more competitive activities, it would be bias therefore, to assume all females always have lower reaction times when females have different pastimes than males, obviously someone would have a slower reaction time playing with barbie instead of mortal kombat.
We Are Organisms
The20
Quote:
This would help dispel the notion that women are of a weaker gender and would enhance gender equality.
Thats because women are shunned from football and stuff.
Women are playing football. Unless you mean American Football, apparently they never thought it was necessary to venture into that one. They do, however, play Rugby, the sport American Football is based on. Rugby is similar but doesn't include Kevlar armor, among other things.

We Are Organisms
Which is because of society, In fact pretty sure battles have been fought hundreds or thousands of years ago with women in them, read it somewhere. Either way a gun is a gun and not a giant sword or something, so being physically weaker doesnt mean useless.
Partaking in battle doesn't mean you are strong (physically speaking), it just means you fight. I never said useless, i just said a law doesn't make you physically stronger.

We Are Organisms
But I suspect if they have to get into a cqc fight where a knife may be used, would be the biggest issue, in which case she doesnt have a sack to hit however so she has that advantage over the men she is facing.
Hit what? Also, if you end up alone, in a knife fight, something went horribly wrong way before that.

We Are Organisms
Either way its more about equal rights. Besides with women volunteers we may not even need a draft in the future because we have twice the people serving possibly, of course there's the chance that its just removing female nurses and making them soldiers and increasing the amount of male nurses or medics or whatever so overall no more people end up joining. But if we want to break it down that far we could also note that allowing women to be drafted is another step towards removing gender bias which would in the future raise more children females who wouldn't mind joining the army because it is legally allowed, because as we all know everyone can think laws are morals.
Interestingly enough it seems that in countries where equality is better enforced by law people are more inclined to fall back to stereotypical gender roles. See this video with some info.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
We Are Organisms
ARK3R
if women fear their lack of strength http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2771/wimps-have-faster-reaction-time they will have a faster reaction time to strike enemies first. Other studies have shown females tend to have slower reaction times but that's because from a young age males are promoted more competitive activities, it would be bias therefore, to assume all females always have lower reaction times when females have different pastimes than males, obviously someone would have a slower reaction time playing with barbie instead of mortal kombat.

and what about carrying rucksacks? is a faster reaction time gonna help them carry a full combat load?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Tuken
Why are we considering this if the draft isn't supposed to be in effect anymore?

are you a male? did you sign up for Selective Services on your 18th birthday, like you are required by law to do?

the Selective Services IS the Draft. what was eliminated was what's called the "peacetime draft," meaning that they'd draft people if there weren't enough volunteers for service, regardless of whether there was a war or not.

without that, they require a war to be declared to activate the draft, which hasn't been too difficult to do here lately.
wellhealed
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/end-exclusion-women-united-states-selective-service-program-make-selective-service-gender-neutral/kj1cFkc8

Quote:
End the exclusion of women from the United States Selective service program. Change the Selective Service program, in order for women to participate in the program, just as their male counterparts. With all the same requirements prescribed by law. Make this change retroactive to include women who are not too old to be drafted. End this dishonor on women, and allow them to serve their nation without an outdated law. Woman ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S. would be required just as men ages 18 through 25 to register with Selective Service. This would help dispel the notion that women are of a weaker gender and would enhance gender equality.

As a good friend of mine from Leeds would say, about bloody time. I've long thought it was preposterous to force our men to register for selective service while excluding women from it.
The20
Quote:

What, pray tell, does that have to do with holding a weapon? Are you actually claiming no female soldier carries a weapon? When you join the military, you have two jobs. Your first job is to carry and use a weapon when necessary. Your second is whatever you are choosing to focus on, be it medic, helicopter pilot, or Navy Seal.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
I'm perfectly ok with it.

Women wanted equality. Well, ladies, time to experience the less enticing side of equality.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Keltoi Samurai
Tuken

are you a male? did you sign up for Selective Services on your 18th birthday, like you are required by law to do?

the Selective Services IS the Draft. what was eliminated was what's called the "peacetime draft," meaning that they'd draft people if there weren't enough volunteers for service, regardless of whether there was a war or not.

without that, they require a war to be declared to activate the draft, which hasn't been too difficult to do here lately.

I never understood what the limits on it were. Aren't you ineligible after 25, or something like that?
Tuken

Where did you get the idea it isn't in effect anymore? It is inactive, but during the most recent wars the US Government came perilously close to reactivating it. This is being considered because males who do not register are charged with a federal felony. They are forced to add their names to a list. It is a matter of gender equality. Either do away with it entirely or make it equal and make females subject to the same requirements and penalties.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
black_wing_angel
Keltoi Samurai
Tuken

I never understood what the limits on it were. Aren't you ineligible after 25, or something like that?

you have to update them with your current address until you are 25, but I don't know about being exempt.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff