Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apparently there is a "war on women" occurring, and the primary attackers are right-wing misogynists.

I call bullshit on this.

Legitimate Complaints

There are a few elements of the so-called "war on women" which are legitimate gripes. For example:

Hostility to abortion by states seems to be increasing. The nattering busybodies that compose the pro-life movement are a s**t that needs wiping. Women's bodies are their own.

Mandated ultrasound legislation is a despicable, intrusive attempt to guilt women into making a certain choice. Any conservative who supports it flushes their small government bona fides down the toilet.

The buffoons who tried to make excuses for why abortion shouldn't be allowed in cases of rape are the worst offenders.

Most of the other issues comprising the "war on women" are silly non-issues (rape culture, patriarchy), or the situation which feminists find objectionable is justified (birth control, federal funding for abortion).
To see why "rape culture" is a joke, read this "well-researched" piece of s**t defining it:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6-shvG8z8l4J:www.k-state.edu/womenscenter/W.A.R/Defining a Rape Culture.doc+&hl=en&gl=us

The Real Gender War

There is a war on men, which feminists aren't so keen to acknowledge (because they are the key perpetrators).

Examples:
1. Women are far more likely to receive custody of the child in the event of a separation.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/p60-225.pdf
To be fair, it is believable that in some of these cases the father would prefer not to care for the child, but it it unlikely that this would account for most of the discrepancy.

2. Paternity fraud affects about 4% of men, after excluding men who already suspicions of it.
http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/fathers-and-kids-parenting-fraud

3. Men receive longer sentences than women for the same crime, even after accounting for confounding variables.
http://www.terry.uga.edu/~mustard/sentencing.pdf

4. Although difficult to quantify, 8-10% of rape accusations may be at least partly false.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2009/10/how_often_do_women_falsely_cry_rape.html

5. There is a concerted attempt to deny the prevalence (if not existence) of female-on-male domestic abuse.
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/V74-gender-symmetry-with-gramham-Kevan-Method 8-.pdf

6. Men die at an earlier rate than women, and that difference has increased throughout the 20th Century.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/LifeTables_Body.html

7. Women control a considerable majority of household incomes, and over half of the private wealth in the U.S.
http://www.supportingadvancement.com/vendors/canadian_fundraiser/articles/womens_affluence.htm
Problem? Would women not protest if the tables were turned? Unlikely, considering they protest now.

8. Misandry often manifests itself through racism and racist policies (thus overshadowing the allegation that they also affect primarily men).
http://ncfm.org/libraryfiles/Children/DV/AAVRmandatArrestVAWA.pdf

The primary reason that the notion that a "war on women", as opposed to a "war on men", is occurring is because women, at least as organized entities (i.e. feminism) tend/like to see themselves as victims (narcissism), while men tend/like to see themselves as in calm control of their destiny (stoic heroism).
http://www.humanitiesinstitute.buffalo.edu/content/about/documents/Mardorossian.pdf
http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/stoic-men-and-their-emotions

Fanatical Zealot

I think the idea that a person who is anti-abortion is anti-woman is sick.

They're anti babies being killed, not anti woman; you may say "but it's a woman's body", but I say it's a human being, because technically it is another human being.

That being said, I'm not necessarily anti-abortion.

I am if another method exists, or birth control becomes perfect, but not really at the given moment with our technology and infrastructure levels.

Aged Lunatic

War on men, you say?

Considering that the vast majority of government officials, military leaders, and corporate heads in every single industry are male, this has got to be one of the most unsuccessful wars I've ever seen.
Suicidesoldier#1

They're anti babies being killed, not anti woman; you may say "but it's a woman's body", but I say it's a human being, because technically it is another human being.

I am if another method exists, or birth control becomes perfect, but not really at the given moment with our technology and infrastructure levels.

I don't think people who are anti-abortion are necessarily anti-women. I guess my point was that objecting to a woman doing with her body what she will is fair game for accusations of warring against women. I'm not saying pro-lifers hate women; almost none of them do. But in passing laws that are antipodal to a laissez-faire system of letting people live their life, they are violating the principle of non-intervention, and therefore "warring" against women.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
GunsmithKitten
War on men, you say?

Considering that the vast majority of government officials, military leaders, and corporate heads in every single industry are male, this has got to be one of the most unsuccessful wars I've ever seen.

I wouldn't say that there is a war on men, but there are certainly men's rights issues.

Fanatical Zealot

Where Pretty Lies Perish
Suicidesoldier#1

I don't think people who are anti-abortion are necessarily anti-women. I guess my point was that objecting to a woman doing with her body what she will is fair game for accusations of warring against women. I'm not saying pro-lifers hate women; almost none of them do. But in passing laws that are antipodal to a laissez-faire system of letting people live their life, they are violating the principle of non-intervention, and therefore "warring" against women.

I... uh...

Well some people need to be stopped on the simple basis that they hurt other people. But a lot of these Republicans are pretty insane.

"Legitimate" rape?

Okay, I mean in a small few cases an adrenaline rush may stop a woman from getting pregnant but this is usually fairly rare.

Else sex itself wouldn't get woman pregnant what with all the adrenaline.

But I'm not here to judge; I don't blame a woman for getting an abortion, especially if they were raped or have financial difficulties, or if they're young. There's no way for me to judge that and I don't plan on it. But saying it's okay because they're inhuman has always perturbed me.

It's okay because it's necessary, not because they don't have the same worth as any other human being.

Also yes, I'm sure you thought that, I'm just clarifying on my own behalf. ninja

Enduring Phantom

I don't feel there is a 'war' on anybody. Neither gender needs a crusade, we just need to put down the pitchforks and look at each other for a moment, realize that the other side is hurting just as much. Maybe when we do that, we can finally right these wrongs and get on with our lives.
GunsmithKitten
War on men, you say?

That there is a war on men doesn't mean all men are affected. You are citing the top echelons of society. Th war on men is a recent phenomenon, so it makes sense that generations that gained prominence before the war would be unaffected by it (as most CEOs and heads of state would be). The gender ratio of dominance at the tops of those fields is leveling (if not reversing).

As for the reason for the high percentage of males in those positions of power, it's very simple.
For one thing, the military in every era and every country as been vastly filled with males. Sure, women had barriers, and still do, but even today in the U.S. women make up very little of the active service members. In a institution vastly dominated by males, of course the top will be also vastly dominated by males.

Additionally, fewer women see themselves as "work-centered" than do men.
http://www.supportingadvancement.com/vendors/canadian_fundraiser/articles/womens_affluence.htm
It takes unwavering dedication to reach the top of high-status fields like the one you listed; people who are more consumed by work will therefore make up a higher percentage of those at the top.

Saint Bloodsucker

Nobody likes a whiny man or woman. Misogynists and feminists are whiny. Kindergarten is over, get over the cooties.
Suicidesoldier#1
Where Pretty Lies Perish
Suicidesoldier#1

I... uh...

Well some people need to be stopped on the simple basis that they hurt other people. But a lot of these Republicans are pretty insane.

"Legitimate" rape?

Okay, I mean in a small few cases an adrenaline rush may stop a woman from getting pregnant but this is usually fairly rare.

Else sex itself wouldn't get woman pregnant what with all the adrenaline.

But I'm not here to judge; I don't blame a woman for getting an abortion, especially if they were raped or have financial difficulties, or if they're young. There's no way for me to judge that and I don't plan on it. But saying it's okay because they're inhuman has always perturbed me.

It's okay because it's necessary, not because they don't have the same worth as any other human being.

Also yes, I'm sure you thought that, I'm just clarifying on my own behalf. ninja
That's fair enough.

I'm not sure, as some pro-choicers say, that having an abortion is nothing. It should be a decision one takes seriously. However, it is a private decision, and someone getting an abortion affects no one (directly enough to matter) but herself, and the embryo/fetus.

The embryo/fetus may be considered a human life, but the moral ground on which that rests is shaky (at least in the early stages of development). Humanity connotes a "soul" (for lack of a better term). Souls cannot be divided or added to constitute something different. The process of twinning and rejoining does this very thing to embryos. If an embryo can undergo these changes, it cannot contain a soul.

And if souls don't exist, the only ill is suffering, and the embryo doesn't suffer from an abortion, so who gives a ********
Resonare Praeteriti
I don't feel there is a 'war' on anybody. Neither gender needs a crusade, we just need to put down the pitchforks and look at each other for a moment, realize that the other side is hurting just as much. Maybe when we do that, we can finally right these wrongs and get on with our lives.
Could be
Malaresianx
Nobody likes a whiny man or woman. Misogynists and feminists are whiny. Kindergarten is over, get over the cooties.
Men's rights activists are more whiny than misogynists. Misogynists don't strike me as particularly whiny.

Enduring Phantom

Where Pretty Lies Perish
Resonare Praeteriti
Could be

I sure hope so. I'm sick of seeing a world where women in power are judged on their looks rather than their actual polices and ideals, and where men aren't allowed to show their emotions but rather are pressured to be stoic and violent. These things are completely silly, and need to change.

Fanatical Zealot

Resonare Praeteriti
Where Pretty Lies Perish
Resonare Praeteriti
Could be

I sure hope so. I'm sick of seeing a world where women in power are judged on their looks rather than their actual polices and ideals, and where men aren't allowed to show their emotions but rather are pressured to be stoic and violent. These things are completely silly, and need to change.

What?!

I'm stoic and violent but I have plenty of emotions D:

Enduring Phantom

Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Where Pretty Lies Perish
Resonare Praeteriti
Could be

What?!

I'm stoic and violent but I have plenty of emotions D:

Of course you do, people are emotional by nature. It's how we best communicate with one another, after all. But people still frown on men crying because they feel moved by something, or displaying affection by more gentle means (non-bro hug and a smile, anyone?). These actions are sectioned of as 'homosexual/woman territory' when they should be available for everyone. Self expression is a crucial part of the human experience, just as much as acceptance is; men shouldn't have to feel like they have to stifle their more 'effeminate' reactions simply because it doesn't fit some outrageous ideal of manhood.

I want a society that tells guys 'You're human, it's okay to have a sensitive side', instead of telling them to bury all their feelings and discharge them in some violent hobby. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff