Welcome to Gaia! ::

FAT Princess?

yes 0.453125 45.3% [ 87 ]
no 0.40625 40.6% [ 78 ]
you're awful for judging us fatties we can't help it except we can 0.140625 14.1% [ 27 ]
Total Votes:[ 192 ]
< 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19 >

I would like to see a curvaceous princess. 3nodding
Eveille
Wee Little
Okay, first of all, I'm not saying we should be promoting unhealthy eating habits and lifestyle, but a lot of peoples attitudes in this thread make it sound like we're ALL bing eaters who lie around all day and shove down twinkies. We're not. Some people just have low metabolisms (opposite of those skinny people who can just shove stuff down and never gain a pound). Some people can diet and exercise their a** off and never lose a pound.

I was born with hypothyroidism (disease that lowers your metabolism), which lead to me always being a chubby kid despite how active I was. And later I was diagnosed with PCOS which also lowers my metabolism even more. So yes, I am overweight, but does that mean I have an unhealthy lifestyle? No. I go to the gym several times a week, and I watch what I eat and drink.

I don't think there needs to be an overweight princess. It'll serve little purpose. There have been movies like Shallow Hal that give a message to little prevail. But I also don't think we need to be shaming these people either. From experience and knowing other overweight people, shoving it in their faces only pushes them further into denial and avoidance of the issue.

And I'm tired of people wanting something directed towards children to make iconic figures to represent a demographic to get a message across to society. I keep seeing a chain on Tumblr about people wanting Disney to make a lesbian princess.

I didn't mean to offend, what I was trying to say is that your condition would seem to be the minority explanation for why the US has so many overweight people since the 1950s. We as humans haven't changed, what has changed is our lifestyles and I think that accounts for most people's weight issues today.

Your condition is very valid, it just seems like an exception rather than the norm to me. I will however freely admit that I am just speculating and I have no numbers for how many people actually have metabolic disorders vs how many just don't wanna move. Personally I know for a fact I am gaining weight cause I just don't move.

I know and I'm not saying we should encourage those who do take part in an unhealthy lifestyle. I have a lot of obese people in my family, and its kind of sad seeing them essentially kill themselves. But I'm also the type that wouldn't completely reject the idea of genetics. My best friend has struggled with weight all of her life as well. She's gotten tested for metabolic diseases but got no diagnosis. She diets and exercises daily, but she's still overweight. Bigger than me. I feel bad for her because she has no answer and despite her efforts, hardly loses weight as well.

It's people like me and her that I wish the fat hating would stop. That's why I choose to not judge people or assume things about them. When people are making fun of someone, they have NO idea what the person is going through or what their words are doing to them.

Friendly Poster

Uulmshar
Oh goodness, please no.
Race cannot be changed, and therefore should be supported, but fat? Fat can be gained or lost at a whim. Don't support this ugly, unhealthy lifestyle.

^

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
If they did have a rotund or voluptuous princess it would be a step in a good direction.

There are ways of spinning thinness to look strong and healthy, so i don't see why a movie couldn't use the right artistic cues to imply a positive nature to childbearing hips, healthy gut and arms and legs that aren't the width of a sapling.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

Informer

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Nonesuch Solo
At whim, eh? Tell that to a super-skinny person who eats like a pig and still can't seem to get people to stop worrying that they are anorexic. Or to a fat person who eats like a bird. Both types exist; weight change is not so easy as you seem to think for everyone.

Fat is not only about what one eats. Some are just too lazy to pursue the proper exercise/diet combo for their weight gain/loss goals.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Technically there is a "fat" Disney princess. Princess Fiona from Shrek.

Fanatical Zealot

Being fat, by itself, is not necessarily unhealthy.
I think a much more pressing question to ask is why you are trying to attack the presence of ethnic diversity through an extremist argument (if we allow blacks, why not have fats?). I also think its interesting that you seem to equate being black to a known unhealthy condition like obesity.

That makes for a much more interesting discussion if you ask me.

Fanatical Zealot

Riviera de la Mancha
I think a much more pressing question to ask is why you are trying to attack the presence of ethnic diversity through an extremist argument (if we allow blacks, why not have fats?). I also think its interesting that you seem to equate being black to a known unhealthy condition like obesity.

Oh hell.

Obesity is measured by BMI, which is obviously fallible, and the obesity levels they've said are obese have no real basis in medical fact.

Something like 50% of the nation is obese and so obviously 50% of the people who die are going to be obese.

Whether or not obesity is actually the result of their death has not been proved, and sometimes obesity deaths are double counted- actually, according to some statistics more people "die of obesity" than people actually die in the U.S. every year.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I doubt they would make a FAT Disney Princess. The thing about animation is that proportions tend to be exaggerated. If a character is skinny, she's gonna be pretty skinny, but if she's fat, she's gonna be REALLY fat. Maybe they could get away with making one a tad chubby, but that's it.

Another thing I should point out, the Disney Princess line? You know, where they sell the toys and books and costumes and s**t? It's completely run by executives (mostly men) who are just trying to market to little girls. Ask them to put in a fat princess, they'll probably tell you that little girls wouldn't buy a product with the fat princess. Especially considering that a big part of the Disney Princess line appeal is the "prettiness". The little girls might not buy toys and dresses from a character they think is ugly.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
Love Muffin88

Disney owns Dreamworks now?

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Riviera de la Mancha

Especially considering that, barring extreme health conditions, weight can be controlled to an extent. You're born with race, and that's difficult to impossible to change. Seriously, good luck getting a race lift.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Love Muffin88

Shrek was a Dreamworks production, not Disney.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff