Welcome to Gaia! ::

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Avgvsto
catspook
"Sanity" is not a term used in the field of psychology any more - it only shows up in legal contexts (and casual use).
What is the goal of psychological betterment if there is no standard sanity? Is there a point in medicating if there are no better or worse minds?

Also, should there be some sort of mark of insanity in psychology under your opinion? To me it seems at some points a person is just to far gone to call weird. For instance when my grandma had a concussion in her very old age she started seeing things and getting mixed up in her memories not really sure what was the present and what was the past. Also I had a friend who hadn't slept for about 4 or 5 days straight and he started just saying absolutely nonsensical things- anyway to me there should be some sort of line that marks some sanity.

I'm saying you're using the wrong term. And there is a reason it is no longer used - it's too broad to be useful and has derogatory implications. It is much more useful to examine the individual and, if they have an illness, call it what it is (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc...). And no, not everyone who has an illness is legally insane, not would they meet most people's definition of "insane".

Dapper Reveler

catspook
I'm saying you're using the wrong term. And there is a reason it is no longer used - it's too broad to be useful and has derogatory implications. It is much more useful to examine the individual and, if they have an illness, call it what it is (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc...). And no, not everyone who has an illness is legally insane, not would they meet most people's definition of "insane".
Alright this is fair. What qualifies one mind as not ill?

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Avgvsto
catspook
Alright this is fair. What qualifies one mind as not ill?

Better, but I'm not sure that's a useful question to ask - it's like asking what qualifies a body as healthy. Everyone has a different opinion, and trying to establish clear criteria for something that is is a continuum is problematic. The more useful question is: how well is the individual functioning in everyday life? Can they live unassisted? Are they bothered by their level of function? Etc...
It's already mentioned in the dsmV

Dapper Reveler

catspook
The more useful question is: how well is the individual functioning in everyday life?
Towards what ends? What is the goal of any day, or the end all goal of all the days?

catspook
Can they live unassisted?
Can anyone live unassisted?

catspook
Are they bothered by their level of function?
If a person is mentally ill, should their opinion on their mental health, or anyones mental health really, be valued all that much?

Dapper Reveler

catspook
Secondary question, are some "mental diseases" simply a nuisance while others a mark of what I termed insanity out of my friends behavior? I mean Bi-Polar is something of a detriment or a grievance where as what my friend was exhibiting made him pretty unable to function as a rational person in general. Perhaps we could use a different term but, do you consider there to be a difference between mental difficulties and obstacles vs mental, uh well for lack of better words until you prove my better, - lack of sanity.

Dapper Reveler

God Emperor Baldur
Yea but all of psychology is just bullshit. They're just a drug cartel with fancier suit shirts.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Avgvsto
catspook
The more useful question is: how well is the individual functioning in everyday life?
Towards what ends? What is the goal of any day, or the end all goal of all the days?

Avgvsto

catspook
Can they live unassisted?
Can anyone live unassisted?

I have zero interest in philosophy. Did you really not understand what I meant, or are you just being difficult?

Avgvsto

catspook
Are they bothered by their level of function?
If a person is mentally ill, should their opinion on their mental health, or anyones mental health really, be valued all that much?

Of course - it is incredibly dangerous (and personally offensive to me) to claim otherwise. Do you really not understand how broad a category "mental illness" really is? I have a mental illness - an anxiety disorder - and I am more conscientious about my health than many people I know. Many, many people have mental illnesses while still being perfectly capable of making decisions for themselves and other people in their care.

And even if someone's ability to make decisions is impaired, recognizing that is not nearly the same thing as claiming their opinions have no value. Even if we don't agree with their opinions - even if we need for their safety of themselves or others to override those wishes - we should never, ever dismiss their opinions as worthless. Do you recall when I mentioned the derogatory implications of the word "insane"? The dismissal of "insane" people's perceptions and opinions as worthless is exactly what I was talking about.
Avgvsto
God Emperor Baldur
Yea but all of psychology is just bullshit. They're just a drug cartel with fancier suit shirts.

Psychology is bullshit the same way gravity is bullshit. Psychology has been studied for over 100 years and saying psychology is a pseudoscience is like saying 2+2=3.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Avgvsto
God Emperor Baldur

Ah, you're a troll, then. In that case, you can ignore my reply.
God Emperor Baldur
Avgvsto
God Emperor Baldur

Psychology is bullshit the same way gravity is bullshit. Psychology has been studied for over 100 years and saying psychology is a pseudoscience is like saying 2+2=3.

catspook
Avgvsto
God Emperor Baldur

Ah, you're a troll, then. In that case, you can ignore my reply.

"Guess and check" is not ******** science.
Neither is "throw mind-altering pills at them and see what seems to work".
the reverend silver

Oh right because that's what people with 8+ years of education do.
YourNeighborsCat
the reverend silver
YourNeighborsCat
the reverend silver
YourNeighborsCat
You mean like how electrons function both as waves and particles? And how quantum entanglement can alter two connected particles at a speed higher than that of light even when they appear separate to us? It's a doozy to think about, but just because we don't fully understand doesn't mean we never will.

Also, think about your emotions. These people, these 'insane' people are usually among the most emotionally unstable portion of the world population. They are harmful to themselves and others, yet you would argue that we should throw away all of human social, civil, and scientific progress because no evidence other than your opinion says they might be prophets of some unseen entity? You best head back to Chatterbox.

A thing cannot be two things at once, can it? I mean, not two fundamentally different... I don't even...
Never understood all the trouble about the FTL though. I might not properly understand the issue, but, is it merely that light is the fastest observable object in the universe? Or is there some mathematical concoction stating that things cannot go faster than light does?

Yeah, it's a ******** doozy all right. We may one day achieve an explanation for this crazy s**t, but maybe we won't. Maybe the universe actively defies comprehension. Maybe s**t is just crazy for a reason.

I'm not saying we should overthrow all of the bullshit our arrogant, corrupt, constantly-lying Western society thinks it knows about the world, but I am saying I'd take great satisfaction in its happening. If it happens to be a schizo with a direct line to God or CHZO or the dear departed or some s**t, I'm down.
Anything but more Western horseshit.
The tech humanity possesses is incapable of giving a clear conclusion that these things are in fact in two separate states of existence. The equations used to describe these phenomena reaffirm my position as they do not adhere to mathematical rules or physics limitations.

Also, I said HUMAN social, civil, and scientific progress, NOT western social, civil, and scientific progress. The fact you twisted my words indicates that you are projecting your hatred of western culture and ideology into a garbled argument for nihilism and anarchy.

Yeah, I might be projecting, but Western society is projecting itself onto the rest of the world, poisoning connected cultures with its ******** and bullshit.

Actually, you know what? I can't think of a major connected culture today that isn't on its own brand of ******** and bullshit, so, sure. I don't see a reason to keep all this progress and s**t around, considering what we've done with it as a species. The best cultures seem to be the ones that have made damn near no progress, like that ******** jungle tribe way out in the boonies where rape doesn't even exist.
'insane' people rape and kill just as much if not more-so than the leaders and degenerates of the 'cultures that are on their own brands of ******** and bullshit'. Putting these people on a pedestal isn't going to solve the '******** and bullshit' that I can only assume entails rape and murder isn't going to take the world into a peaceful era of primitive tribal blissfulness. The problem will either remain the same under these people of unsound mind and under-qualified diplomatic dealings or, in a more likely scenario, it will get worse.

Listen, I'm not even really thinking past the fall. Remaking the world is someone else's job.
God Emperor Baldur
the reverend silver

Oh right because that's what people with 8+ years of education do.

You can spend eight years learning pseudoscience and bullshit. You can spend eight years learning the theory of magick and its practical applications, but that doesn't make you a proper sorcerer.
the reverend silver
YourNeighborsCat
the reverend silver
YourNeighborsCat
the reverend silver
YourNeighborsCat
You mean like how electrons function both as waves and particles? And how quantum entanglement can alter two connected particles at a speed higher than that of light even when they appear separate to us? It's a doozy to think about, but just because we don't fully understand doesn't mean we never will.

Also, think about your emotions. These people, these 'insane' people are usually among the most emotionally unstable portion of the world population. They are harmful to themselves and others, yet you would argue that we should throw away all of human social, civil, and scientific progress because no evidence other than your opinion says they might be prophets of some unseen entity? You best head back to Chatterbox.

A thing cannot be two things at once, can it? I mean, not two fundamentally different... I don't even...
Never understood all the trouble about the FTL though. I might not properly understand the issue, but, is it merely that light is the fastest observable object in the universe? Or is there some mathematical concoction stating that things cannot go faster than light does?

Yeah, it's a ******** doozy all right. We may one day achieve an explanation for this crazy s**t, but maybe we won't. Maybe the universe actively defies comprehension. Maybe s**t is just crazy for a reason.

I'm not saying we should overthrow all of the bullshit our arrogant, corrupt, constantly-lying Western society thinks it knows about the world, but I am saying I'd take great satisfaction in its happening. If it happens to be a schizo with a direct line to God or CHZO or the dear departed or some s**t, I'm down.
Anything but more Western horseshit.
The tech humanity possesses is incapable of giving a clear conclusion that these things are in fact in two separate states of existence. The equations used to describe these phenomena reaffirm my position as they do not adhere to mathematical rules or physics limitations.

Also, I said HUMAN social, civil, and scientific progress, NOT western social, civil, and scientific progress. The fact you twisted my words indicates that you are projecting your hatred of western culture and ideology into a garbled argument for nihilism and anarchy.

Yeah, I might be projecting, but Western society is projecting itself onto the rest of the world, poisoning connected cultures with its ******** and bullshit.

Actually, you know what? I can't think of a major connected culture today that isn't on its own brand of ******** and bullshit, so, sure. I don't see a reason to keep all this progress and s**t around, considering what we've done with it as a species. The best cultures seem to be the ones that have made damn near no progress, like that ******** jungle tribe way out in the boonies where rape doesn't even exist.
'insane' people rape and kill just as much if not more-so than the leaders and degenerates of the 'cultures that are on their own brands of ******** and bullshit'. Putting these people on a pedestal isn't going to solve the '******** and bullshit' that I can only assume entails rape and murder isn't going to take the world into a peaceful era of primitive tribal blissfulness. The problem will either remain the same under these people of unsound mind and under-qualified diplomatic dealings or, in a more likely scenario, it will get worse.

Listen, I'm not even really thinking past the fall. Remaking the world is someone else's job.
Soooooo you're like, one of those people who gets hot and bothered over the thought of a doomsday situation?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff