Welcome to Gaia! ::

So i got into a discussion with a guy who says he would remain a virgin for life if the person he liked didn't want to have sex, ever.

My opinion in this matter.

That wouldn't be love. Sure, he is willing to sacrifice that, but the other person?

In my opinion, Love comes with Lust. When its Love, sex would be a way of expressing it with the other person. Embracing the other person. Becoming "one".

Of course, it's not a main factor, but it is necessary, in my opinion.

If you were to sacrifice sex in a relationship, like, FOREVER, i don't see how it would work. Of course like i said, sex isn't that important, in fact i'd be pleased having sex once a week, once every two weeks or so. Well, as long as its not once every 2 months... LOL! But see, it's just a way of expressing love for the other person. Feeling the other's warmth and such. Each human being goes through that.

If a grown up person comes up to you and says he is a virgin, would you believe him? No, of course not, it's hard to believe on someone's word about something so common like having Sex. Lust.

My opinion goes on and on but hard to type it, so yea, what do you think?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Yeah, people who I love but don't lust after I usually call "BFF" or "mom". Why does your friend think he's going to end up in a romantic relationship with a celibate person? Is that what he specifically wants? Perhaps it's his roundabout way of admitting he doesn't want to have sex.
Yoshpet
Yeah, people who I love but don't lust after I usually call "BFF" or "mom". Why does your friend think he's going to end up in a romantic relationship with a celibate person? Is that what he specifically wants? Perhaps it's his roundabout way of admitting he doesn't want to have sex.
Apparently this other person is Asexual, Aromantic and whatever starts with A. And that apparently that person disgusts sex, so he says he is willing to remain a virgin for all his life if they were to be together. Which is highly unlikely, i mean, every human being lusts and eventually haves sex. I don't think it would work between both of them.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
ChurBun
Yoshpet
Apparently this other person is Asexual, Aromantic and whatever starts with A. And that apparently that person disgusts sex, so he says he is willing to remain a virgin for all his life if they were to be together. Which is highly unlikely, i mean, every human being lusts and eventually haves sex. I don't think it would work between both of them.

If the friend naturally has sexual urges and he plans to suppress those on behalf of this current romantic interest then it's going to be a very long road ahead. He just sounds enamored with this person and is willing to compromise a great deal in order to have them. I suppose his life lessons are his own to learn. Just don't grimace too hard as you watch from the sidelines.
Yoshpet
ChurBun
Yoshpet

If the friend naturally has sexual urges and he plans to suppress those on behalf of this current romantic interest then it's going to be a very long road ahead. He just sounds enamored with this person and is willing to compromise a great deal in order to have them. I suppose his life lessons are his own to learn. Just don't grimace too hard as you watch from the sidelines.
I actually dropped the topic with him because he began to use some personal things of myself against me and my opinion. But i wanna know what other people think about this Love without Lust thing.

Newbie Noob

5,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Timid 100
Love without lust is entirely possible. I know a couple who isn't asexual but chooses to abstain from sex because it suits their dynamic. Sex is one way to express love for some, but it is by no means integral or necessary.

While one may have a desire to engage in that activity in their own right, by no means does 'every human being lusts and eventually haves sex'.

By the way:
Asexual is the lack of desire for sex. These people can have romantic attraction to others.
Aromantic is the lack of romantic attraction to others. These people can lust.
And, hell, some people are both.
TheSilverCricket
Love without lust is entirely possible. I know a couple who isn't asexual but chooses to abstain from sex because it suits their dynamic. Sex is one way to express love for some, but it is by no means integral or necessary.

While one may have a desire to engage in that activity in their own right, by no means does 'every human being lusts and eventually haves sex'.

By the way:
Asexual is the lack of desire for sex. These people can have romantic attraction to others.
Aromantic is the lack of romantic attraction to others. These people can lust.
And, hell, some people are both.
In my opinion, every human does indeed engage in some sexual activity. Even if afterwards they don't have any kind of that anymore, they did, which means they aren't virgins anymore. His oppinion is that people who say they are virgins are to be believed. I dont see why. He used monks as an example. Im sure some have had sex or felt lust, and if they truly are virgins, i guess they did something down there to keep it that way.

Greedy Consumer

Care is love. You can care for many things without lusting them.
Gardening_with_Rave_Music
Care is love. You can care for many things without ******** all over them lol.
That answer belongs in cb

Greedy Consumer

ChurBun
That answer belongs in cb
der we go, i censored it for you, happy? Now that we are back on topic. What is your opinion? Of the data I shared of course.
Or is this 'extended discussion' dead already?

Interesting Codger

2,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Love with lust is known as eros. Love without lust would be agape ("spiritual" love, unconditional love, selfless love, often referred to as the love between parents and children and other familial love), or philia ("brotherly" love, love between friends, family, and community, as well as other things such as love of an art or sport, a "give and take" love).

Greek words for love (Wikipedia)

Without referring to the Greek words for love, though, I would say love without lust between people who are not related by blood is just a very close friendship.
Well it depends as Sexual relationship does not always depend on sexual intercourse. Then again if she didn't want to have sex or at least explore other means of sexual relationship then basically you are just friends.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Sadist Sedated
Love with lust is known as eros. Love without lust would be agape ("spiritual" love, unconditional love, selfless love, often referred to as the love between parents and children and other familial love), or philia ("brotherly" love, love between friends, family, and community, as well as other things such as love of an art or sport, a "give and take" love).

Without referring to the Greek words for love, though, I would say love without lust between people who are not related by blood is just a very close friendship.

This, with the additional comment that a very close friendship is sufficient for companionship.

Married couples occasional run into health problems that make it difficult or impossible for them to engage in sexual relations and they manage to stay together. I would suspect it may be the degree of love they feel for one another that makes this possible, but I have no data to back that up.
The Legendary Guest
Sadist Sedated

This, with the additional comment that a very close friendship is sufficient for companionship.

Married couples occasional run into health problems that make it difficult or impossible for them to engage in sexual relations and they manage to stay together. I would suspect it may be the degree of love they feel for one another that makes this possible, but I have no data to back that up.
Well, see, married couples. They did have sexual interaction, etc before the problems came. They showed that love to each other already, so in my opinion that still counts as love even if they can't have sex anymore.
Sadist Sedated

See this, this is exactly how i think, only its hard for me to type it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff