Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was just wondering:

There's all this concern about having sex at young ages.

(I'm not talking about extremes like 10-12) but for some reason, people are shocked at the ages people lose their Virginity, like 15 or 13.

If someone's consenting and practicing safe sex, then what's what's the problem?

I'm going to be honest and say that yes, I'm 14. AND I'll admit that I, personally, am not ready for sex. But I know plenty of people my age who aren't Virgins. They were consenting, they were safe, and none of them are 'emotionally traumatized'.

What's the problem? I want to know. I'm open to any argument.

(P.S. - I DON'T, however, want to hear anything about no sex before marriage, ESPECIALLY not backed-up with the Bible. I'm an Atheist.)

EDIT:

All right, please remember this: one of my key parts is that IF the teenagers having sex use protection, when what's wrong with it? If that's your only defense, then you're not answering the question. This discussion wasn't about teenagers not practicing safe sex. YES, I know some teenagers don't practice safe sex. They're not the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ones that DO practice safe sex.

EDIT #2

Miss Nella
At any rate I think there to many risks, maturity issues, and health issues to make having sex at 13 a good idea. Many of these have already been mentioned and it seems to me that most of the people agreeing with the op are either 13 and want to have sex or they are utterly indifferent if some 13 year old they don't know goes and contracts genital warts (which condoms don't protect against).

All right, seriously, that's not the problem I was asking about.

What I mean is that why do people have such a problem morally? I know there are physical risks. Quite frankly, that's going to happen to ANYONE who has sex, regardless of age.

What I mean is that why is it people have a problem with younger teens having sex, even when they ARE physically, emotionally, and psychologically stable.

I know that there are physical risks, but that's really not the question I'm asking.
Teenagers want to have sex because their hormones are raging. They don't stop to think about what having sex actually means. There are many dangers with it.

1. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW
2. AIDS
3. STDs
4. Pregnancy

No teenager ever thinks about those things. They are just caught up in the moment and the fact it feels soo good etc.
the reason i'm against it is because you're still a kid at that age. you shouldn't be concerned with sex. you shouldn't be doing something that's meant for consenting adults. at 13, i wasn't even thinking about sex. at 15, i was more concerned with the school play. i didn't lose my virginity until i was an adult at 18. a child should be worrying about school, having slumber parties. not sex. there's too much involved mentally with sex, that i don't believe kids are ready for.
Just to clear things up, I'm a promoter of love. You have sex with somebody that you love, not somebody that's hot or sex out of the moment(no this doesn't mean no sex before marriage).

But it's mainly ignorance. Adult's that make laws and what not don't take the time to realize that some kids actually know what they're doing. They don't realize that some kids at 13 or 15 do actually take the time to practice safe sex and they do weigh the pros and cons of having sex.
Ebony_Anne
Teenagers want to have sex because their hormones are raging. They don't stop to think about what having sex actually means. There are many dangers with it.

1. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW
2. AIDS
3. STDs
4. Pregnancy

No teenager ever thinks about those things. They are just caught up in the moment and the fact it feels soo good etc.

I think that just about sums it up.
And what's so morally bad about it? Nothing, but it is a little sick. I don't care how ready for sex you think you are, you're just NOT at thirteen or fourteen.
At the age of 13 or 14, the teen brain is not done growing. Part that affects your ability to make good and lasting decisions. As you get older, things improve.

http://www.edinformatics.com/news/teenage_brains.htm

So an older teen has a more developed brain that they can use to make better life choices, like those surrounding sex, than a younger teen.
Ebony_Anne
Actually, they do.

DemonessOfSorrow
the reason i'm against it is because you're still a kid at that age. you shouldn't be concerned with sex. you shouldn't be doing something that's meant for consenting adults. at 13, i wasn't even thinking about sex. at 15, i was more concerned with the school play. i didn't lose my virginity until i was an adult at 18. a child should be worrying about school, having slumber parties. not sex. there's too much involved mentally with sex, that i don't believe kids are ready for.
Who the hell are you to tell anyone else how to run their life?
If kids don't want to be kids anymore, so be it.
It isn't the business of society to hold them back.
Myythren
At the age of 13 or 14, the teen brain is not done growing. Part that affects your ability to make good and lasting decisions. As you get older, things improve.
Judgment isn't finished being developed until one's mid-twenties.
So should we make the age of consent 25?
Being mentally/emotionally traumatized, for any number of reasons.

They're not ready, not mature enough to really understand what it is they're doing.
Myythren

http://www.edinformatics.com/news/teenage_brains.htm

So an older teen has a more developed brain that they can use to make better life choices, like those surrounding sex, than a younger teen.

Think about this though, nobodies brain stops growing until the age of 25. As people get older, they might make smarter decisions but there is no guarantee. And I do know that there are some teenagers who do have better decision making skills then most adult's do.
At this age, i just think its bad all together. You build up your reputation as a "hoe", your body is no longer pure, and you start to fall into the socially disastrous side of Junior High/High School. Its a sad world out there, you just have to keep inside your boundries, even if you arent looked at as "cool"
Quote:
Who the hell are you to tell anyone else how to run their life?
If kids don't want to be kids anymore, so be it.
It isn't the business of society to hold them back.

i'm not telling anyone how to run their life. i was stating an opinion. before you get your little boy panties in a bunch, you should try READING all the way through. i never stated that i was telling ANYONE what to do.
Ebony_Anne

1. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW
2. AIDS
3. STDs
4. Pregnancy

And AIDS, STDs, and pregnancy magically disappear when you start having sex after you're 18, eh?

I think it's a stupid generalization to say that no teen recognizes that there's the possibility of these things.
Sexual maturity differs from person to person. For example, I know one girl who is still grossed out by the very idea of sex at seventeen years old, but I also know a girl who has been in a stable relationship for a year now, has already had sex, and she's only fifteen.
Its best not to make sweeping generalizations about who is and who is not ready for it.
DemonessOfSorrow

In all fairness, you did imply how a teenager should behave and/or think.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff