Welcome to Gaia! ::

MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
I don't have a problem with it unless your under the age of 16. Younger than 16 to me is too young, at 16 I'm pretty sure they don't class you as a minor. Just so long as you are doing the right thing to keep out of trouble, a lady I know has her 14 year old daughter on the pill which is also a great way to prevent rape victims getting pregnant accidently. Rape can be common in teens as well, some girls are curious and consent but later change their minds due to being uncomfortable with the circumstances and yada yada.

No I don't see a problem with sex at 16+ so long as you are being responsible about it.

What makes a 16 year old magically different from someone who is 15 years and 364/365 days old?

The law for 1 makes them 'magically different'. And from experience I find them to be far more mature than say someone younger than that age. But, that is my opinion care to tell me where you believe that anyone younger than 16 is on the same level?

So a person is automatically mature enough on their 16th birthday, but not the day before?
bird-hat-thing
Ophelia V2
Condoms break.

That's why you also pull out.

You have to pull out well before-hand though, you can still leave traces of siemen behind and enough to cause a pregnancy. Nothing is 100%

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

7,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Millionaire 200
bird-hat-thing
Ophelia V2
Condoms break.

That's why you also pull out.

There are still risks.
You see.
Precum, you know, what comes BEFORE an orgasm.
It has sperm in it, as well.
And therefore, if a condom was broken even a little, or became broken during sex.
Something could happen without the man even having to orgasm.

PLUS.
Even if sperm were to get anywhere near the woman's v****a.
The risk would still be there.
Pulling out doesn't mean anything.
That's not a valid argument.

MelziGurl
At sixteen my opinion was the same, that it was digusting. What was even more disgusting was seeing my friends all fall into the same category, young and pregnant. I didn't have sex until I was 20, been the same guy now for 2 years, I would say that's a big achievement.

I agree.

And congrats on finding someone worth sharing that special physical attraction with.

[:
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
I don't have a problem with it unless your under the age of 16. Younger than 16 to me is too young, at 16 I'm pretty sure they don't class you as a minor. Just so long as you are doing the right thing to keep out of trouble, a lady I know has her 14 year old daughter on the pill which is also a great way to prevent rape victims getting pregnant accidently. Rape can be common in teens as well, some girls are curious and consent but later change their minds due to being uncomfortable with the circumstances and yada yada.

No I don't see a problem with sex at 16+ so long as you are being responsible about it.

What makes a 16 year old magically different from someone who is 15 years and 364/365 days old?

The law for 1 makes them 'magically different'. And from experience I find them to be far more mature than say someone younger than that age. But, that is my opinion care to tell me where you believe that anyone younger than 16 is on the same level?

So a person is automatically mature enough on their 16th birthday, but not the day before?

Idiocy, oh how I love it -_- Re-read my post and point out for me EXACTLY where I said they were mature enough on their 16th birthday. I said as I recall "I FIND THEM TO BE MORE MATURE!!!" 1 day short of a 12 month gap is absolutely ridiculous and a stupid question because that practically and unofficially to me makes them 16. Answer me this question honestly, from how well you know me do you take me for an idiot by using that stupid question.
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl

Idiocy, oh how I love it -_- Re-read my post and point out for me EXACTLY where I said they were mature enough on their 16th birthday. I said as I recall "I FIND THEM TO BE MORE MATURE!!!" 1 day short of a 12 month gap is absolutely ridiculous and a stupid question because that practically and unofficially to me makes them 16. Answer me this question honestly, from how well you know me do you take me for an idiot by using that stupid question.

You said that younger than 16 is too young. 15 years and 364 days is younger than 16. Also, you find people who are 16 to be far more mature than someone younger - again, 15 years 364 days is younger than 16.

It's called "reductio ad absurdum" and it's meant to show you exactly how bad your logic is.
[=Persephone=]
Lord Setar- Oh, honestly, that's ridiculous. The few things he has said in defense of his argument, he has not proved.

I haven't MADE an argument.

[=Persephone=]
Why is it okay for him not to prove his argument?

It isn't.
But I have to actually make an argument first.

[=Persephone=]
I do not feel like I am in a debate with him when he is talking to me like a teacher.

I'm talking to you like a teacher because it is apparent you do not understand the essential rules of debate.

[=Persephone=]

As I was saying before, sex causes you to become emotionally attached to the person. The page goes on to explain when it is best to have sex. "There can also be emotional consequences to having sex with someone – it can really change a relationship, and not always for the better. Sex can be enjoyable with the right person, but it’s very easy to make mistakes and end up hurt, which is why people advise you: "don’t have sex until you’re ready!"."
(http://www.avert.org/sex.htm)

I see a lot of "can" statements. That doesn't exactly give an age or a reason.

[=Persephone=]

Most teenagers are not very stable mentally.

Proof?

[=Persephone=]
"This early sexual activity causes a major public health problem among teenagers. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year approximately 3 million teenagers contract a sexually transmitted disease and 1 million become pregnant." (http://www.press-release-writing.com/distribution1/nc-120501.htm).
Another article states the same 3 million statistic, but also states that this is the same as "roughly one-quarter of the nation’s sexually active teens have been infected by a sexually transmitted disease (STD).[2]". This following quote makes me think about the intelligence of teenagers overall: "Each year, there are approximately 19 million new STD infections, and almost half of them are among youth aged 15 to 24." (http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/sexualbehaviors/). Hmmm, that's a rather high percentage of STDs for that small age group. The likelihood of obtaining an STD is around 50%

The spread of VD likely has much to do with a general failure to educate youth when it comes to sex.
And honestly, much of that is likely due to utterly inconsequential strains of HPV.

Youths will have sex. Youths have been having sex, and youths will continue to have sex. Through more effective, accurate, and comprehensive sex education, many of the less desirable effects can be effectively mitigated.

[=Persephone=]

This goes into more about how even with safe sex, teenagers are at risk:
"Teens have been harmed by using hormonal contraceptives, and some have even died.[2]

Just like every other age group.
Given a significantly large population, someone's going to die.

[=Persephone=]
In addition, contraceptives have significantly high failure rates for unmarried teens due to imperfect use. [3]

I call flagrant bias.
I highly doubt that MARRIAGE is any kind of significant factor when it comes to contraceptive failure rates.

That said, if you don't use it properly, it can't be expected to work properly. What a concept!

[=Persephone=]

Physical effects aren't the only risk for teens - there are psychological ones as well. Adolescent women who engage in pre-marital sex are three times more likely to experience depression as those who do not.[4]

That part's just blatantly full of s**t.
Marital status was not a part of the study, and the study refers to subjects from grade 7 to grade 11, re-assessed one year later. Furthermore, I don't know where on earth the "three times" bit came from, and the study was concerned with sexual activity and drug use.

[=Persephone=]
Sexually active teens area also more likely to attempt suicide than those who are not. [5]

This part isn't in the least credible.
The Heritage Foundation is not an authority, the article argues for abstinence-only education over comprehensive sex ed as necessary to preventing sexual activity (lol irony), and the criterion used for establishing someone as a "sexually active teen" is whether the teen has EVER had sex. Not in the last 6 months, 6 years, but ever. For all we know, the absurdly high rates could be due to sexual abuse rather than getting it on with a significant other.

[=Persephone=]

Contraceptives harm teens by providing a false sense of security regarding the risks of pregnancy and disease.
That is an incredibly stupid argument.
It is misinformation and disinformation that are harmful (much like this source), not contraceptives.

[=Persephone=]
Many teens are unaware of the failure rate of the contraceptives they use - condoms have a failure rate of 14.9% while the birth control pill has a failure rate of 8.5%.[13]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Yeah, right.
Let's have a closer look.

Those figures refer to first-year contraceptive failure rates given typical use. They're also outdated. The typical failure rate of the pill within the first year is roughly 8.7% now, and condoms are up to 17.4, as of 2007.

[=Persephone=]

Birth control also has a negative impact on a teen's attitude regarding relationships.
Female teens typically engage in sex because they feel they they are really in love, while most males are simply motivated by the opportunity to have sex with someone they simply "like". [11] These differing views on pre-marital sex in relationships are not healthy and often result in heartache, pregnancy, and abortion or single motherhood.

That has nothing to do with premarital sex or teens. It has everything to do with the way people typically act.

[=Persephone=]

Contraception enables young women to become pleasure objects for those who have no intention of bearing children, marrying, or even caring for them during a pregnancy. It enables young men to view women as means to an end instead of the unique and valuable people they are.

No it doesn't.
The difference is, women in such relationships/sexual encounters are far less likely to find themselves in a position which requires support from their partner.

[=Persephone=]

How can any of this this be healthy for teens?" http://www.birthcontrolisharmful.com/

Totally a credible source.

[=Persephone=]

There is a research that proves the bad mental effects on teenagers who have sex, "Which Comes first in Adolescense- Sex and Drugs or Depression?". It tested each possibility, and there is a chart on Page 4 that relates each of the instances. You'll find that teenagers who engage in sex are more likely to become depressed.

There is an article that also concedes with this (http://www.heritage.org/Research/Abstinence/cda0304.cfm). You can find graphs and tables that show overwhelmingly that there are more teens who are sexually active depressed than those who are not. There are also similar graphs and tables for the rates of suicide attempts and sexually activity.

I already debunked that source within this post.

[=Persephone=]

I hope that clarifies why I would not advise any teenager, especially young, to have sex.

Because you've been fed propaganda?
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl

You said that younger than 16 is too young. 15 years and 364 days is younger than 16. Also, you find people who are 16 to be far more mature than someone younger - again, 15 years 364 days is younger than 16.

It's called "reductio ad absurdum" and it's meant to show you exactly how bad your logic is.

You're trying to be a technical pain in the arse. Noone, or not to my knowledge is THAT technical about age. That's all your are trying to be, a pain in the arse. So then, how bad is my logic then since you wanna be technical about this, on a technical level just how bad is my logic?
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl
Lord Setar
MelziGurl

You're trying to be a technical pain in the arse.

No, he isn't. He's attempting to establish a point at which someone is or is not capable of sex.
At this point, you're tripping over your own arguments.

MelziGurl
Noone, or not to my knowledge is THAT technical about age.

Plenty of people are.
So is the law.

MelziGurl
That's all your are trying to be, a pain in the arse.

Keep saying it if it makes you feel better.

MelziGurl
So then, how bad is my logic then since you wanna be technical about this, on a technical level just how bad is my logic?
I don't know. What do you think about someone who's 15 years and 363 days?

Magical Girl

@OP: Sometimes kids have babies. Actually, quite a bit of kids accidentally become pregnant and give birth.
Okay, I admit, I'm new at this whole debating thing. Since I obviously suck more than everyone else in the thread at debating, could you PLEASE give me an example of a proper debate? Also, is it really necessary to be that rude and venomous to someone who is trying harder than others to debate?
MissToxicity
logan the god of ******** the law. no-one gets aids when there is proper use of a prophylactic. sex at a young age = more stupid mother ******** who make sex all about feeling good and whom think love has nothing to do with it. having sex at a young age because you like it is just like stabbing yourself in the eye because you like it. people need to learn why to have sex before they do it.[/quote]
Your argument...
Contradicts itself and is generally just a mess of broken, bleeding grammar and an illogical path of ideas.
Just because YOU connect love to sex, doesn't mean that everyone has to or that there IS a connection. A teenager may not connect love to sex, but they may, and even if they do not then that doesn't mean its simply because he or she is a teenager.
I know MANY adults who view sex casually, and it's not your place to shove YOUR morals and YOUR opinions down their gul
2s6ww556:1="logan the god of ******** the law. no-one gets aids when there is proper use of a prophylactic. sex at a young age = more stupid mother ******** who make sex all about feeling good and whom think love has nothing to do with it. having sex at a young age because you like it is just like stabbing yourself in the eye because you like it. people need to learn why to have sex before they do it.[/quote]
Your argument...
Contradicts itself and is generally just a mess of broken, bleeding grammar and an illogical path of ideas.
Just because YOU connect love to sex, doesn't mean that everyone has to or that there IS a connection. A teenager may not connect love to sex, but they may, and even if they do not then that doesn't mean its simply because he or she is a teenager.
I know MANY adults who view sex casually, and it's not your place to shove YOUR morals and YOUR opinions down their gullets.

i view it as we are not monkeys. i've evolved. try it some time.
Nyxelestia
I was just wondering:

There's all this concern about having sex at young ages.

(I'm not talking about extremes like 10-12) but for some reason, people are shocked at the ages people lose their Virginity, like 15 or 13.

If someone's consenting and practicing safe sex, then what's what's the problem?

I'm going to be honest and say that yes, I'm 14. AND I'll admit that I, personally, am not ready for sex. But I know plenty of people my age who aren't Virgins. They were consenting, they were safe, and none of them are 'emotionally traumatized'.

What's the problem? I want to know. I'm open to any argument.

(P.S. - I DON'T, however, want to hear anything about no sex before marriage, ESPECIALLY not backed-up with the Bible. I'm an Atheist.)

EDIT:

All right, please remember this: one of my key parts is that IF the teenagers having sex use protection, when what's wrong with it? If that's your only defense, then you're not answering the question. This discussion wasn't about teenagers not practicing safe sex. YES, I know some teenagers don't practice safe sex. They're not the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ones that DO practice safe sex.

EDIT #2

Miss Nella
At any rate I think there to many risks, maturity issues, and health issues to make having sex at 13 a good idea. Many of these have already been mentioned and it seems to me that most of the people agreeing with the op are either 13 and want to have sex or they are utterly indifferent if some 13 year old they don't know goes and contracts genital warts (which condoms don't protect against).

All right, seriously, that's not the problem I was asking about.

What I mean is that why do people have such a problem morally? I know there are physical risks. Quite frankly, that's going to happen to ANYONE who has sex, regardless of age.

What I mean is that why is it people have a problem with younger teens having sex, even when they ARE physically, emotionally, and psychologically stable.

I know that there are physical risks, but that's really not the question I'm asking.

first off:
major MAJOR props for admitting your not ready. not most teenagers will realize this and the ones who do are very wise and will make good decisions. so great for you! biggrin

two: teenagers DO have raging hormones, but sex is still okay in moderation. having sex with some random person just because it feels good is wrong. i am with someone i LOVE (spare all the teenagers cant be in love BLAH BLAH BLAH because i AM and i know it. so back off) and im sexually active with him because it draws us closer, not because it feels good. i could live without sex until im married or whatever just because being with him is the best thing in the world. teenagers who realize this and follow it are smart, unlike ones who sleep with everyone. which brings me to my next point.

three: nothings wrong with it at all as long as your smart. such as, if your with your boyfriend/girlfriend and you feel like your ready, you should both know if you have STD's just to be safe. and second NEVER go without a condom and get on birth control. follow these, and your good to go. after you got that, theres absoloutley NOTHING wrong with teenage sex. there may be the odd chances that something could go wrong, but your doing the best you can and your with someone you love and sharing a special intimate moment.

theres nothing wrong with teenage sex in moderation. you just have to be smart and realize when your ready. smile
[=Persephone=]
Okay, I admit, I'm new at this whole debating thing.

That's not really an excuse for lacking the ability to think, 'Sephy.
Quote:
Since I obviously suck more than everyone else in the thread at debating,

At least you recognize your weaknesses.
Quote:
could you PLEASE give me an example of a proper debate?

oh, I don't know, try something along the lines of not becoming a whiny b***h playing the pity card while insulting others when your argument is shown to be shitty.
Quote:
Also, is it really necessary to be that rude and venomous to someone who is trying harder than others to debate?

Necessary? Not really. Fun? Hell yes.
theres no magical age for being ready for sex or anything else.
maybe someone at 13 or 14 CAN be ready, because everyone matures differently. in older cultures, people at 13 were parents already. only YOU can know when your ready. and no one else has no scientific "magical" number that proves that you are/not.

at 15 i thought i was ready.
at 16 i figured out i wasnt. im still 16 and i think i am.
and maybe by 17 ill figure out i wasnt ready at 16.

you never know.
im almost positive im ready. and my parents, or some close minded person cant tell me otherwise.
Denzorz
[=Persephone=]
Okay, I admit, I'm new at this whole debating thing.

That's not really an excuse for lacking the ability to think, 'Sephy.
Quote:
Since I obviously suck more than everyone else in the thread at debating,

At least you recognize your weaknesses.
Quote:
could you PLEASE give me an example of a proper debate?

oh, I don't know, try something along the lines of not becoming a whiny b***h playing the pity card while insulting others when your argument is shown to be shitty.
Quote:
Also, is it really necessary to be that rude and venomous to someone who is trying harder than others to debate?

Necessary? Not really. Fun? Hell yes.

Sorry if I insulted anyone, I hadn't realized I had. Ok, I was wrong at first to snap at others, but I learned from my mistake. I also learned that my argument is faulty. I just wanted to learn a little more before I make the stupid mistake of debating further. But since you admit that you enjoy being rude and venomous, I will just go elsewhere to learn.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff