Welcome to Gaia! ::

well, there really isnt anything BAD about it. it's just that there are cetain consequences from having sex at an early age that young teens wouldnt be able to handle, such as pregnancy, STD's and STi's... I'm 15, almost16, and havent had sex and dont plan on it until i'm ready, but at the same time, i dont see a problem with it. What YOU do has nothing to do with me anywayz, so i could care less..

Go Ahead and Hate B**CHES! Your Comments Make ME

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I mean.. why wouldnt your boyfriend drool over the thought of me?? i'm 100%

Elf Lord Chiewn
[=Persephone=]
I remember when I was that age I was still trying to figure out who I was and learn to love myself.

Funny, most 30-year-olds I know have the same problem.

[=Persephone=]
How could I have learned to love anyone else?

I've done it.
What's so difficult about loving someone else?

[=Persephone=]
I was too concerned about myself to think about anyone else.

Then that was your own personal issue. What does this have to do with the rest of us?

[=Persephone=]
It was the worst time of my life, and I've heard a lot of other people confirm that that age was also their down period. It was confusing and dark, where I felt isolated.

Hi, my dark period was in third grade.

[=Persephone=]
I know that if I had a boyfriend, I would have chosen sex for the wrong reasons. To me, sex shouldn't be about feeling good physically, but it should be about the mental attachments too.

That's nice.

[=Persephone=]
That age was such a shifting, changing time, it's very unlikely that a young teenager could be able to find "the one" that they will be able to hold for the rest of their lives.

It's very unlikely that an old teenager could be able to find "the one" too. So what?

[=Persephone=]
Sex creates this sort of attachment, and it's hard to move on if you end up leaving that person.

Welcome to relationships.

[=Persephone=]
I'm not religious, but I feel like sex should be saved for the right person, and should be based on love.
That's nice.
What about the rest of the population?

I told you that scientifically young teenagers are not mentally stable enough for it. Yes, there are 30-year-olds who have the same problem, they shouldn't be committing to relationships and sex either. I was using my story as an example, so you wouldn't say "ha, you wouldn't know". Even if the young teenagers were practicing safe sex, there are still physical problems that might arise- their body isn't ready for that. I know I can't stop them from doing it, but this would be my advice to them, to wait until they're more mature and ready. Are you telling me that you would encourage a young couple to have sex?
Young teenagers aren't emotionally fit to decide whether or not having sex is a good idea.

Well, that's not true. They can decide, but they don't have the mental strength to follow through with their decision, given any temptation.

Having sex early in a relationship ("omg thats so unfair me and bobby have been going out for 3 months", that's not a long time; grow up) is a bad idea because the focus of the relationship quickly shifts entirely to sex, and that causes problems.
Like some people have said, it leads to pregnancy.
Though I haven't heard a major one that I know of.
Having sex at a young age could lead to having your body not properly develop.
I know someone who had sex at a young age and has a type of cancer.
From not having the rest of her female organs develop all the way.
[elemental_wraith]
Like some people have said, it leads to pregnancy.
Though I haven't heard a major one that I know of.
Having sex at a young age could lead to having your body not properly develop.
I know someone who had sex at a young age and has a type of cancer.
From not having the rest of her female organs develop all the way.
..what? o.O
The Tiban Army
Brad ODonnell
Ebony_Anne
No teenager ever thinks about those things. They are just caught up in the moment and the fact it feels soo good etc.
Actually, they do.

DemonessOfSorrow
the reason i'm against it is because you're still a kid at that age. you shouldn't be concerned with sex. you shouldn't be doing something that's meant for consenting adults. at 13, i wasn't even thinking about sex. at 15, i was more concerned with the school play. i didn't lose my virginity until i was an adult at 18. a child should be worrying about school, having slumber parties. not sex. there's too much involved mentally with sex, that i don't believe kids are ready for.
Who the hell are you to tell anyone else how to run their life?
If kids don't want to be kids anymore, so be it.
It isn't the business of society to hold them back.

It's true it's not...and the whole adult at 18 thing. There's barely a difference i mean....saying I waited until I was an adult at 18 isn't all that impressive. Not more than saying I waited til I was in a long time relationship with someone I loved at 17....
[=Persephone=]
Elf Lord Chiewn
[=Persephone=]
I remember when I was that age I was still trying to figure out who I was and learn to love myself.

Funny, most 30-year-olds I know have the same problem.

[=Persephone=]
How could I have learned to love anyone else?

I've done it.
What's so difficult about loving someone else?

[=Persephone=]
I was too concerned about myself to think about anyone else.

Then that was your own personal issue. What does this have to do with the rest of us?

[=Persephone=]
It was the worst time of my life, and I've heard a lot of other people confirm that that age was also their down period. It was confusing and dark, where I felt isolated.

Hi, my dark period was in third grade.

[=Persephone=]
I know that if I had a boyfriend, I would have chosen sex for the wrong reasons. To me, sex shouldn't be about feeling good physically, but it should be about the mental attachments too.

That's nice.

[=Persephone=]
That age was such a shifting, changing time, it's very unlikely that a young teenager could be able to find "the one" that they will be able to hold for the rest of their lives.

It's very unlikely that an old teenager could be able to find "the one" too. So what?

[=Persephone=]
Sex creates this sort of attachment, and it's hard to move on if you end up leaving that person.

Welcome to relationships.

[=Persephone=]
I'm not religious, but I feel like sex should be saved for the right person, and should be based on love.
That's nice.
What about the rest of the population?

I told you that scientifically young teenagers are not mentally stable enough for it.

[=Persephone=]
Yes, there are 30-year-olds who have the same problem, they shouldn't be committing to relationships and sex either.

Well, that rules out the vast majority of the population.
Proof that they shouldn't be?

[=Persephone=]
I was using my story as an example, so you wouldn't say "ha, you wouldn't know".

Okay.
Couldn't tell what you were getting at, since there wasn't a clear argument.

[=Persephone=]
Even if the young teenagers were practicing safe sex, there are still physical problems that might arise- their body isn't ready for that.

Such as?

[=Persephone=]
I know I can't stop them from doing it, but this would be my advice to them, to wait until they're more mature and ready.

That's extremely vague. What does that even mean?

[=Persephone=]
Are you telling me that you would encourage a young couple to have sex?
Depends on the couple.
Why?
No matter if you practice safe sex or not, there is ALWAYS a chance of a STD or pregnancy. A teenager would have more trouble coping with something like that than a adult, even if they are emotionally and physically stable. For example, trying to raise an child and get through high school with good grades while you yourself have not completed maturation is no easy task.
all_your_thumbs
Young teenagers aren't emotionally fit to decide whether or not having sex is a good idea.

Well, that's not true. They can decide, but they don't have the mental strength to follow through with their decision, given any temptation.

Proof?

all_your_thumbs

Having sex early in a relationship ("omg thats so unfair me and bobby have been going out for 3 months", that's not a long time; grow up) is a bad idea because the focus of the relationship quickly shifts entirely to sex, and that causes problems.

Proof?
Elf Lord Chiewn- While I am looking up some citations, which I so desperately need, may I inquire about your belief? I think it's quite unfair that you are bashing me without giving your share of the argument. You are doing little to disprove me, you are only saying that I am stupid. Maybe you could find a few of your own citations to disprove me?
[=Persephone=]
Elf Lord Chiewn- While I am looking up some citations, which I so desperately need, may I inquire about your belief? I think it's quite unfair that you are bashing me without giving your share of the argument. You are doing little to disprove me, you are only saying that I am stupid. Maybe you could find a few of your own citations to disprove me?

It's called "debate" and it's what the ED is for. Do not attempt to shift the burden of proof - Elf has found no need to state his viewpoint as he is pointing out the holes in your arguments and is questioning your reasoning.

Summary: gb2/hugbox/
[=Persephone=]
Elf Lord Chiewn- While I am looking up some citations, which I so desperately need, may I inquire about your belief?

I don't see why a reasonably competent child cannot engage in sexual acts. That's really it.

[=Persephone=]
I think it's quite unfair that you are bashing me without giving your share of the argument.

I'm not bashing you.
And I'm not actually obligated to state anything.

[=Persephone=]
You are doing little to disprove me,

I'm asking for proof.
I don't need to disprove you.

[=Persephone=]
you are only saying that I am stupid.

Show me where, at any point, I have referred to you as stupid.

[=Persephone=]
Maybe you could find a few of your own citations to disprove me?

That isn't how debate works. First you supply evidence, then I counter said evidence if I don't agree with it.
well most of them get pregnant early...and its very hard nowadays to raise kids and family...so expensive...
Lord Setar- Oh, honestly, that's ridiculous. The few things he has said in defense of his argument, he has not proved. Why is it okay for him not to prove his argument? I do not feel like I am in a debate with him when he is talking to me like a teacher.

As I was saying before, sex causes you to become emotionally attached to the person. The page goes on to explain when it is best to have sex. "There can also be emotional consequences to having sex with someone – it can really change a relationship, and not always for the better. Sex can be enjoyable with the right person, but it’s very easy to make mistakes and end up hurt, which is why people advise you: "don’t have sex until you’re ready!"."
(http://www.avert.org/sex.htm)

Most teenagers are not very stable mentally. "This early sexual activity causes a major public health problem among teenagers. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year approximately 3 million teenagers contract a sexually transmitted disease and 1 million become pregnant." (http://www.press-release-writing.com/distribution1/nc-120501.htm).
Another article states the same 3 million statistic, but also states that this is the same as "roughly one-quarter of the nation’s sexually active teens have been infected by a sexually transmitted disease (STD).[2]". This following quote makes me think about the intelligence of teenagers overall: "Each year, there are approximately 19 million new STD infections, and almost half of them are among youth aged 15 to 24." (http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/sexualbehaviors/). Hmmm, that's a rather high percentage of STDs for that small age group. The likelihood of obtaining an STD is around 50%

This goes into more about how even with safe sex, teenagers are at risk:
"Teens have been harmed by using hormonal contraceptives, and some have even died.[2] In addition, contraceptives have significantly high failure rates for unmarried teens due to imperfect use. [3]
Physical effects aren't the only risk for teens - there are psychological ones as well. Adolescent women who engage in pre-marital sex are three times more likely to experience depression as those who do not.[4] Sexually active teens area also more likely to attempt suicide than those who are not. [5]
Contraceptives harm teens by providing a false sense of security regarding the risks of pregnancy and disease. Many teens are unaware of the failure rate of the contraceptives they use - condoms have a failure rate of 14.9% while the birth control pill has a failure rate of 8.5%.[13]
Birth control also has a negative impact on a teen's attitude regarding relationships.
Female teens typically engage in sex because they feel they they are really in love, while most males are simply motivated by the opportunity to have sex with someone they simply "like". [11] These differing views on pre-marital sex in relationships are not healthy and often result in heartache, pregnancy, and abortion or single motherhood.
Contraception enables young women to become pleasure objects for those who have no intention of bearing children, marrying, or even caring for them during a pregnancy. It enables young men to view women as means to an end instead of the unique and valuable people they are.
How can any of this this be healthy for teens?" http://www.birthcontrolisharmful.com/

There is a research that proves the bad mental effects on teenagers who have sex, "Which Comes first in Adolescense- Sex and Drugs or Depression?". It tested each possibility, and there is a chart on Page 4 that relates each of the instances. You'll find that teenagers who engage in sex are more likely to become depressed.

There is an article that also concedes with this (http://www.heritage.org/Research/Abstinence/cda0304.cfm). You can find graphs and tables that show overwhelmingly that there are more teens who are sexually active depressed than those who are not. There are also similar graphs and tables for the rates of suicide attempts and sexually activity.

I hope that clarifies why I would not advise any teenager, especially young, to have sex.
I think that it's interesting that the majority of the people that are advocating young-age sex/love are themselves within the age bracket that is considered in the discussion to be young. It is also interesting that they refuse to recognize that when older people, who have more than likey been in the same situation that these younger people are in, tell them that it usually doesn't work out for the best, the younger people respond with vehemence.
While I'm not suggesting that this is always the case, perhaps the fact that younger people consider older people "ageist" when they try to desuade the younger people from something that they older person can see with 20/20 hindsight, shows that these younger people are indeed more swayed by emotion and hormones than they choose to realize.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff