Welcome to Gaia! ::

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
wahmbulance Disclaimer: The initial post comes from an ordinary, everyday layman. He does not apologize if it is not brimming with profound, mind-altering revelations that make all the high-and-mighty "E-Philosophers" cream their pants. wahmbulance

Ok, so I'm freaking tired right now, but I figured I'd ask you all this question, because I honestly want to know.

What do you think of American Society as it stands today?

Personally, I think American society has gotten so high on its notions of Freedom, tolerance and wanting to make sure everyone is heard that everything has become convoluted, an endless maze of distorted mirrors. Every manner of logic and reason, regardless of whether it's ACTUALLY logical or reasonable, must not only be heard, but accepted by society, and anyone who does not accept it or questions it in any way is criticized, ostracized and insulted by the same people who so meticulously try not to offend others. And when everything is true, and all is permitted, you enter a strange, surreal world where nothing makes sense. There is no truth or lies, just a maddening, crushing emptiness, an inescapable lack of substance that weighs down on your mind.

No matter where you turn, opinions are shown as facts, and every site is nothing but a shouting match where the original question or purpose was lost long ago. Turning to the news is no better, as they spin and sensationalize the story to sway the public as they see fit, directly instigating arguments between opposing views for ratings and indirectly instigating violent confrontations between people of differing views. And all the while, as they mold and manipulate your mind as they see fit, they place your facebook and twitter posts on a shiny golden pedestal to show you that they still care about the people, the people that they use to grow or shrink the popularity of celebrities, making or breaking heroes and villains, turning gentle, average joes into serial killers, and vicious murderers into misunderstood souls deserving of pity.

Women emulate the "strong and independent" females in the music industry, dressing in clothes that show off every curve, every ounce of socially acceptable cleavage (the boundaries of which are pushed further every day), doing everything they can to look as alluring and beautiful as the media tells them they need to be, yet getting angry when they are constantly given cat-calls in public.

Feminists rant and scream that men are evil, while MRA's maintain that it is in fact women who are the true evil. As this is happening, the eternal war of politics rages on. These people hate guns and want to throw them all away forever, while these people want to keep them.

None of it makes sense, and I think deep down, everyone can tell the difference between the truth and the lies, but the lies taste better to them. At least if they cling to the lies they'll never have to deal with reality, but they're sure going to have fun telling others to "deal with reality".

To me, American Society is a screaming, ever-growing mass of Paradoxical, Hypocritical, Oxymoronic, Illogical, spoiled and willfully blinded children.

How about you?

Zealot

I think all you yanks are total bonkers.

Floppy Member

There is no single cohesive "American society". I think anybody who is under the impression that there is hasn't traveled enough.

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
I think it's actually pretty good, but could be oh so much better.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
I don't even know what's worth trying to save aside from my own hide anymore.

I just want out and to forget it. sad
Americans need to stop being so full of themselves for one.
All they do is shout about their freedom, guns and military, whilst there are several countries in Europe who probably have more freedom in their daily lives, guns are unwanted, and sure, you have the most powerfull military in the world, but you´re paying a ton of taxes for it aswell.
As where most countries spend their tax money on stuff like education, health care and infrastructure.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The Legendary Guest
There is no single cohesive "American society". I think anybody who is under the impression that there is hasn't traveled enough.

This.
I've only been to two states for any length of time and they were equally as different from each other culturally as any two European nations I have been to or either of the Asian nations I have been to.
Or, for that matter, as different as the European nations were to either of the Asian ones.
Or Australia.
Or Africa....

Haven't been to any South American nations yet.
And I have no intention of going to Antarctica, I hate the cold.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
toasega
wahmbulance Disclaimer: The initial post comes from an ordinary, everyday layman. He does not apologize if it is not brimming with profound, mind-altering revelations that make all the high-and-mighty "E-Philosophers" cream their pants. wahmbulance

Ok, so I'm freaking tired right now, but I figured I'd ask you all this question, because I honestly want to know.

What do you think of American Society as it stands today?

Personally, I think American society has gotten so high on its notions of Freedom, tolerance and wanting to make sure everyone is heard that everything has become convoluted, an endless maze of distorted mirrors. Every manner of logic and reason, regardless of whether it's ACTUALLY logical or reasonable, must not only be heard, but accepted by society, and anyone who does not accept it or questions it in any way is criticized, ostracized and insulted by the same people who so meticulously try not to offend others. And when everything is true, and all is permitted, you enter a strange, surreal world where nothing makes sense. There is no truth or lies, just a maddening, crushing emptiness, an inescapable lack of substance that weighs down on your mind.

No matter where you turn, opinions are shown as facts, and every site is nothing but a shouting match where the original question or purpose was lost long ago. Turning to the news is no better, as they spin and sensationalize the story to sway the public as they see fit, directly instigating arguments between opposing views for ratings and indirectly instigating violent confrontations between people of differing views. And all the while, as they mold and manipulate your mind as they see fit, they place your facebook and twitter posts on a shiny golden pedestal to show you that they still care about the people, the people that they use to grow or shrink the popularity of celebrities, making or breaking heroes and villains, turning gentle, average joes into serial killers, and vicious murderers into misunderstood souls deserving of pity.

Women emulate the "strong and independent" females in the music industry, dressing in clothes that show off every curve, every ounce of socially acceptable cleavage (the boundaries of which are pushed further every day), doing everything they can to look as alluring and beautiful as the media tells them they need to be, yet getting angry when they are constantly given cat-calls in public.

Feminists rant and scream that men are evil, while MRA's maintain that it is in fact women who are the true evil. As this is happening, the eternal war of politics rages on. These people hate guns and want to throw them all away forever, while these people want to keep them.

None of it makes sense, and I think deep down, everyone can tell the difference between the truth and the lies, but the lies taste better to them. At least if they cling to the lies they'll never have to deal with reality, but they're sure going to have fun telling others to "deal with reality".

To me, American Society is a screaming, ever-growing mass of Paradoxical, Hypocritical, Oxymoronic, Illogical, spoiled and willfully blinded children.

How about you?

STFU YOU VEGAN COMMIE SOB THIS IS THE LAND OF TEH PROUD AND THE FREE AND WE DON'T EAT YOUR HIPPY TOFU HERE
-MURICA

Really though, I feel like American society could use some alterations in a number of ways. Individuals should be more willing to take personal responsibility. More willing to engage in civics and be able to rationally and critically evaluate current events in order to be better citizens of the nation. The culture of instant gratification has run amok, and it would be great to re instill the value of hard work, dedication, compassion, and justified patriotism (what do I mean by that last bit? Having good reasons for loving thy country rather than sippin the RWB Kool aid). America is a place of great potential. Let's make America great.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Divine_Malevolence
I think it'd actually pretty good, but could be oh so much better.

This.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
CuAnnan
The Legendary Guest

This.
I've only been to two states for any length of time and they were equally as different from each other culturally as any two European nations I have been to or either of the Asian nations I have been to.
Or, for that matter, as different as the European nations were to either of the Asian ones.
Or Australia.
Or Africa....

Haven't been to any South American nations yet.
And I have no intention of going to Antarctica, I hate the cold.

We are a diverse nation. Which states did you visit?

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Miragen
All they do is shout about their freedom, guns and military, whilst there are several countries in Europe who probably have more freedom in their daily lives, guns are unwanted, and sure, you have the most powerfull military in the world, but you´re paying a ton of taxes for it aswell.
As where most countries spend their tax money on stuff like education, health care and infrastructure.

Perhaps guns are unwanted where you live, but they are plenty wanted here. Aside from practical purposes like hunting, they're just fun to fire.

I do agree that more needs to be done in this nation regarding education and healthcare.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
GSK Lives
I don't even know what's worth trying to save aside from my own hide anymore.

I just want out and to forget it. sad

Canada will take you. Have a nice trip

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Faustine Liem
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That looks like my uncle before Ebola got him.

Well actually according to the Drs, it wasn't Ebola.

It was heart disease.

But we still think is was Ebola...

(jk)
Vestri Umbra
Miragen

Perhaps guns are unwanted where you live, but they are plenty wanted here. Aside from practical purposes like hunting, they're just fun to fire.

I do agree that more needs to be done in this nation regarding education and healthcare.

Well sure, you've lived with guns your entire life and getting a ban on them now is retarded anyways.
I do enjoy those people who want guns to defend themselves against the goverment, i'm sure their glock will help with defending against the most technological advanced military force in the world, the same one you've been funding your entire life.

Hunting isn't really a thing here anyways, most European countries are more densely populated with most nature being protected parks.
Also there isn't as much wildlife here anyways.

And sure, firing guns is fun, that's why you can just go to a shooting range or whatever, I don't want them in my house though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff