Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/06/27/nr-bts-alecia-phonesavanh-son-injured-in-swat-raid.cnn.html

So the swat team raids this house, and they throw a grenade into the crib of a 2 year old. Boom, now the kid has horrible burns, holes, and ends up in a hospital in a coma. Did I mention they raided the wrong house?

Welcome to Afghanistan.

Garbage

From what I read, they didn't raid the wrong house, they just raided while the guy they were looking for wasn't actually there.

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Unfortunate collateral damage.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Does SWAT typically throw grenades into the houses they're raiding? eek

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Yoshpet
Yeah. Stun grenades, those flashy loud sound ones? I dunno the terms. They aren't lethal though or the kid would be dead.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Mik Laid
Yoshpet
Yeah. Stun grenades, those flashy loud sound ones? I dunno the terms. They aren't lethal though or the kid would be dead.

Flashbang grenade? Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I couldn't fathom how explosives were necessary.

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Yoshpet
Mik Laid
Yoshpet

Flashbang grenade? Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I couldn't fathom how explosives were necessary.
Yeah, that's the name of it. xDD

Nah, the grenade was thrown into an infant's crib. Regardless of how not lethal it is, it's still going to cause a lot of damage to a child in an enclosed area.
Mik Laid
Yoshpet

They can kill, but are unlikely. Anyway, there are 2 types. Concussion grenades and flashbang grenades. Concussion is meant to startle the suspect and make him panic while a flashbang temporarily blinds and deafens the suspect.

Fanatical Zealot

Poor baby D:

Seems pretty terrible, but an honest mistake; typically they throw them on the ground for these types of reasons, but if the crib was right next to the front door and on the ground it might have happened.

Which is kind of stupid.
God Emperor Baldur
Mik Laid
Yoshpet

They can kill, but are unlikely. Anyway, there are 2 types. Concussion grenades and flashbang grenades. Concussion is meant to startle the suspect and make him panic while a flashbang temporarily blinds and deafens the suspect.

Don't know for sure, but I thought that concussion grenades were also disorienting.

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
God Emperor Baldur
Mik Laid
Yoshpet

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.
The militarization of police duties inevitably leads to civil unrest. While this isn't the first, or last symptom of a change in the guard, it is symbolic of the turning point for the trends of tolerance vs. excessive force. Somewhere out there is a movie of the blues brothers. I dedicate that as the zero point of police normalcy. At some point between then and now, police started driving military grade armored vehicles and inevitably threw a grenade at an American child. I will call that the rising action and climax of the transition point. I would say all events after this will be "falling action" with respect to the storyline, and the conclusion will be less than pleasant for many, many people.

If you think America is somehow immune to the troubles of the Middle East or Eastern Europe, you are fooling yourself.

Fanatical Zealot

Dysia
The militarization of police duties inevitably leads to civil unrest. While this isn't the first, or last symptom of a change in the guard, it is symbolic of the turning point for the trends of tolerance vs. excessive force. Somewhere out there is a movie of the blues brothers. I dedicate that as the zero point of police normalcy. At some point between then and now, police started driving military grade armored vehicles and inevitably threw a grenade at an American child. I will call that the rising action and climax of the transition point. I would say all events after this will be "falling action" with respect to the storyline, and the conclusion will be less than pleasant for many, many people.

If you think America is somehow immune to the troubles of the Middle East or Eastern Europe, you are fooling yourself.

Uh... it was a flashbang; also militarization is great, it can increase professionalism. xp

It's not as if they WILL blow you up with a tank just because they have one.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Dysia

Uh... it was a flashbang; also militarization is great, it can increase professionalism. xp

They say that when all one has is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail, but it's also true that when one's hammer is percieved as "cool" enough, and there are too few nails to use it on, then everything starts looking like a nail as well.

As for professionalism, well, there's just not enough hours in the day, or dollars in the budget to be able to reliably turn random so's and so's into both cops and soldiers in the numbers that would be needed.

Fanatical Zealot

Keltoi Samurai
Suicidesoldier#1
Dysia

They say that when all one has is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail, but it's also true that when one's hammer is percieved as "cool" enough, and there are too few nails to use it on, then everything starts looking like a nail as well.

As for professionalism, well, there's just not enough hours in the day, or dollars in the budget to be able to reliably turn random so's and so's into both cops and soldiers in the numbers that would be needed.

Have you seen the budget?

I rest my case.

Also if people are so insane that they go around banging everything with hammers because they see everything as nail they need to seek professional help.

I have a hammer, I definitely do not see everything as nails or going around whacking everything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff