Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think your...

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 5, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 >

I dont get why people make fun of people because of their weight...i have alot of different sized friends...and im not the skinniest person myself...i'm a bit underweight but im not "skinny." your weight depends on your height...well height determines if your over/under weight, im 5"2 and 92 lbs....i wanna know what you people think

Gaian

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
if you put your hand around your wrist and have your thumb touch your pinky, then you're under weight.
Chronowatcher
if you put your hand around your wrist and have your thumb touch your pinky, then you're under weight.

i agree
Chronowatcher
thats not nessisarily true.... but yea maybe it's a sign.....
Yeah, why do people make fun of me for being smaller than them? crying

5,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Chronowatcher

That is silly. I can do that and I am NOT underweight. It's also age dependent.
oops then i am underweight take off one of the averages
I think that the height-weight correlation really isn't true. Yes, it can give a basic idea of if a person may weigh too little, but that's iffy at best. It means little to nothing when judging if a person is overweight or not. It all depends on a person's bone structure and ratio of muscle to fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a person can weigh a lot, but not be unhealthy if they are muscular.
Chronowatcher

Oh, I disagree. I have very small wrists and very long fingers. I'd be pretty unhealthy if I couldn't do that. ^_^

What I can't stand is people who's arms are as big as their waist. THAT is too skinny, in my opinion.... Which I think is disgusting, though I've seen very few overweight people who bother me because of their weight. Neither thing is very healthy. And that is the problem I have. Otherwise, it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I've never made fun of people for their weight, except possibly my sister when I was much younger and far more immature.
People care about weight because this culture drills into our mind that skinny and big chested is beautiful. Fat is ugly. And although you and I may not believe this, the majority of people do. Also, these days people are more self conscience then ever about their bodies and they starve themselves to loose weight. Just our culture and our nature.

Demonic Demigod

16,975 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Chronowatcher

That's not exactly true. I can do that but I'm right in my weight braket. I weigh 110lbs., right on the dot, and I'm only 14.

Although I do feel a bit underwight concidering my height should make me weigh a bit more. (I'm 5'6)
Avanti Lark
I think that the height-weight correlation really isn't true. Yes, it can give a basic idea of if a person may way too little, but that's iffy at best. It means little to nothing when judging if a person is overweight or not. It all depends on a person's bone structure and ratio of muscle to fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a person can weigh a lot, but not be unhealthy if they are muscular.

Definitely, and in my health class, I learned that you can lok extremely skinny, but actually technically be overweight/obese, because of your percent body fat. *shrug* But I think in the end it really is a lot more individualistic than any one "test" or view can show.
Chronowatcher

Some people have small joints and long fingers. Not everybody is built the same. I am very much overweight and I can touch my pinky to my thumb around my wrist.
Chronowatcher

I have bony arms. I can touch my pinky when I put my hand around my wrist. I weigh 12 stone... stare
Avanti Lark
I think that the height-weight correlation really isn't true. Yes, it can give a basic idea of if a person may weigh too little, but that's iffy at best. It means little to nothing when judging if a person is overweight or not. It all depends on a person's bone structure and ratio of muscle to fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a person can weigh a lot, but not be unhealthy if they are muscular.
well it's kinda based on Height, Age and your Build, althought i agree with what you say....its just What my Nutritionist tells me i gess....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff