Welcome to Gaia! ::

black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel

The guy at Sandy Hook didn't have a machine gun. But someone with one, could've stopped him.

And conversely, they could have had a machine gun.

For every time you think "I could do something if I had a machine gun", also think "The other person could also have a machine gun."

It's just like the Cold War. You get a nuke, they get a nuke.

Yep. And neither of you will use it, BECAUSE of that fact.

When powers are balanced, power is not used.

Nope, because the other person is a psychopathic killer and I'm just a normal person.

So the psychopathic killer will use the machine gun, and I will not.

Ah, but there are others around, who ALSO have machine guns. So when he uses his against you, someone else will use theirs against him.

Quote:
Power is balanced, but there are crazy people out there.

Power is never balanced by only 2 people. It takes at least 3 entities, for the above reason.

Be that as it may, legalizing machine guns will put them in the hands of a lot more than 3 people. Most of whom are quite benevolent. Because the malevolent already have them, if they want them.

By the time someone else shoots this guy, the damage has already been done. The crazy person has already started killing people. The point is to prevent the crazy person from being able to use a machine gun in the first place.
Suicidesoldier#1
Spierred
Suicidesoldier#1
Spierred
black_wing_angel
sarita caprico
No, no and no.

You already know why.

Idiot with machine gun = sandyhook

The guy at Sandy Hook didn't have a machine gun. But someone with one, could've stopped him.

For every time you think "I could do something if I had a machine gun", also think "The other person could also have a machine gun."

Except machine guns aren't on the level of nukes. It's not about raw power, you can get more powerful guns, like .50 cals or .338 Lapua rifles, but it's a matter of capabilities and convenience. You can do things you can't do without them much more easily, such as landing rounds on the same spot or hitting moving targets much easier. It's really a matter of finesse and convenience rather than raw power. Which won't really enhance someone's ability to kill others, just fight better, which will improve self defense capabilities. But in terms of raw killing potential, lots of other weapons can fill the same place. If you're under conditions where a machine gun could kill lots of people, enemies in a straight line shoulder to shoulder and can't run away or fight back, then lots of guns, even knives or melee weapons could kill virtually as many people in the same amount of time.

I was using nukes as an example.

Let's look at the UT Tower Shooting. The shooter in this case was a former Marine marksman armed with an M1 Carbine. All of victims that Charles Whitman shot were either stationary or walking. One person he shot at who was running actually took a hit. As soon as people started running and seeking cover, he hit only three more people. A police officer who was hiding behind cover, a man running in a straight line, and a paramedic attempting to load a victim. In other words, he did not have a single evasive target. Every shot was an easy shot. This was a trained Marine sharpshooter. Most civilians probably could not have made these shots, even if they were soft targets.

Like you said, you can hit a moving target more easily with a machine gun. Had Whitman been armed with even just an automatic rifle, he could have caused catastrophically more damage. He didn't stop shooting once people started running. He stopped hitting them.

The fact of the matter, a point that has been researched and proven by the US Army, is that the more rounds you can put down range, the more likely you are to hit your target. Knives could not kill virtually as many people in the same amount of time in any situation. You come at me with a knife and I'll shoot you with a machine guns. We'll see how many holes you have in you by the time you get one in me. If I stood in the center of a 10m radius circle of targets with a machine gun, I could cut those targets in half in less than 30s. If I did the same with a knife, it would take me about ten seconds to stab a single target.

There's a matter of how fast you can draw and fire a weapon, in addition to how long a person can stay conscious with a knife after being shot. Like I've said many times, it's not an instant death machine, and only works by poking small holes in people. A person with a knife can still keep running and moving for quite some time after being shot, with some people on drugs being shot multiple times. There's all kinds of stories of people on drugs or who were crazy who kept on coming after the first shot, so a person with a knife in that situation wouldn't be stopped even if you got off the first hit. Furthermore, you're making an equivocation fallacy that better at fighting means better at killing. If you're just going based on what's better at killing, a knife, suicide bombing etc., rather than what's useful in self defense (as in, surviving the ordeal), then knives are easily just as good. Once again, against defenselsses, unarmed, slow moving or even still targets, both weapons are roughly equal. If your target can't fight back and is sitting still, Machine guns are better fighting weapons, not better killing weapons. An axe does far more damage to someone than a bullet, creating far more devastating injuries, and never runs out of ammo, but you wouldn't want an axe in self defense considering how horrible it is and how close you have to get to the target and so on and so forth. But against an unsuspecting, or boxed in target, like in the middle of a crowd, it's not really any worse off.

Also, I've done quite a bit of research on Charles Whitman; that's a horrible example to use, since it's basically exactly opposite of what you've been saying this whole time. First of all, he killed so many people and didn't have a machine gun, he used accurate and precise fire, so the idea he would have killed more with a machine gun when he killed more than the average mass shooting without one is a little bit ludicrous; in fact, it was a bolt action. He was actually better at hitting moving targets than targets that were still (to explain that, they were easier to see and spot from a range, and on a more predictable both and more or less in the open, which made them easier targets), and didn't stop shooting people until the cops finally shot him. You simply could not be more wrong. You can still do it, but it takes being a good marksmen to do so. Since the average person is not as good a marksmen, it makes sense that allowing them to have machine guns would make their lives easier.

As far as it being "proven" that it's more deadly or what have you, I'm writing another post in response to that, now.

"During Whitman's initial 18-month tour of duty in 1959 and 1960 he earned a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, a Sharpshooter's Badge, and the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Whitman received 215 out of 250 possible points on shooting tests, and did well when shooting rapidly over long distances and aiming at moving targets. After completing his assignment, Whitman applied to a U.S. Navy and Marine Corps scholarship program, intending to complete college and become a commissioned officer."

"Determined to prove his worth, Whitman took well to his initial training at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, earning performance medals and excelling at rapid fire shooting, especially where moving targets were involved"
http://www.crimeandinvestigation.co.uk/crime-files/charles-whitman-the-texas-tower-sniper

Small holes? Have you seen the damage a single M855 can do? I, personally, with mine own two eyes, have seen an M16 blow the front of someone's leg off. The entire tibialis anterior, gone. A single round from an M16 has killed hundreds of people, much less the many rounds that an M249 or other machine gun can put down range. The M240B fires an even larger round, and those rounds can literally cut someone in half.

You're creating unrealistic situations. You're saying a knife works just as well as a gun in a world where there is zero consequence for slitting someone's throat. Think real life. You stab someone, what is everyone else around you going to do? They're going to ******** book it. The cops will show up, the ex UFC fighter will drop his ice cream, the people you wanted to kill will start running or fighting. Yes, if you're killing people who will not fight back, react, run, and you had an infinite amount of time, then you can go up to each person and stab them just as well as you could shoot them. But you're talking about people having these weapons in real life, and in real life, once your victims start sprinting away from you, do you really think it's more efficient to try and chase them down and stab them, or to try and shoot them?

You did not do your research, and missed my point entirely.

Sixteen people were killed by Whitman. All of those people were either walking at a slow pace, or standing still.

32 people were wounded by Whitman. Of those, only three were actually running. He hit three mobile targets. A moving target is never easier to hit than a still target, no matter who you are. He did not stop shooting until he was killed, but once people realized they were being shot at, he only hit those last three people. If he had a machine gun, he could have probably hit a lot more than just three people. In fact, he probably would have killed all of the officers that actually went up to get him, just for starters. As for saying that targets are easier to spot from range when moving, I have fired at targets that are 400m away, and at that point they appear as black blobs. It doesn't matter whether they're moving or not, they're just as easy to see. This is one more thing that I base my "you have no idea what you're talking about" theory off of.

I am 100% sure that you have near zero experience with actually shooting, or knife fighting. No one who has ever used a machine gun would ever say that a knife is better in any situation at all. Do you know what happens when someone attacks you with a knife in the army? You back up two ******** feet and shoot that person.

You're right, the average civilian does need less training to fire a machine gun. More training to operate and maintain, but near zero training to hit something given a good amount of ammo and a steady firing position. That is why it is so dangerous. You are talking about stopping a crisis after it happens by giving everyone a machine gun, but it's too late by then. The first person with the machine gun has already killed innocent people. The point of a restriction is that it stops, or helps to stop this from happening in the first place. As well, you are then basically saying that everyone needs to get a machine gun. You are forcing people to arm themselves in order to defend themselves. That's what Afghanistan is like, and trust me when I say Afghanistan is not any more peaceful because of it. You're also sidelining the poor and anyone who has ever committed a past felony. I guess they're just out on their asses because everyone, their enemies, their dumbass friends, people who just want to murder them, has machine guns but them. There has been one mass shooting where automatic weapons were involved, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred

Nope, because the other person is a psychopathic killer and I'm just a normal person.

Ah, but there are others around, who ALSO have machine guns. So when he uses his against you, someone else will use theirs against him.

Quote:

Power is never balanced by only 2 people. It takes at least 3 entities, for the above reason.

Be that as it may, legalizing machine guns will put them in the hands of a lot more than 3 people. Most of whom are quite benevolent. Because the malevolent already have them, if they want them.

By the time someone else shoots this guy, the damage has already been done. The crazy person has already started killing people. The point is to prevent the crazy person from being able to use a machine gun in the first place.

Except you can't. If he wants to use one, your shitty laws are the last thing that are going to stop him from doing so. This is why we have an illicit drug problem in the US, even though almost all of them are federally banned.

The idea is to put the LAW ABIDING citizenry on the same level as the criminal, rather than at disadvantage.

Fanatical Zealot

Quote:
The original M16 used in Vietnam had the exact same cartridge and the exact same ammo capacity as the M14 it replaced. Colt Arms suggested that a smaller round be used, but the Army continued to use the 7.62x51mm round until late in the Vietnam Era because they wanted to retain the more powerful round. It wasn't until late in the Vietnam War era that they switched over to the 5.56x45mm. The idea of more rounds being carried is why the US continues to use the 5.56 Ball round as the standard cartridge, and that's because the Army found that more ammunition being fired was more effective than trying to hit a single target with a rifle.

The AR-15 wasn't adopted by U.S. service until about 1961, due to project agile, and it was only about 10 rifles at that point. The weapon you're thinking of was the AR-10, which was never adopted by the U.S., after the experimental aluminium barrel exploded they blamed it on the gun design and were inherently biased against it. The M14 was chosen instead, which was a derivative of the M1 garand, which had a 20 round detachable box magazine instead of an 8 round top fed one, and was a little bit lighter and shorter, for the overall barrel length. It also used the 7.62mm x 51mm NATO, instead of the .30-06, which was a little bit lighter weight, and most importantly shorter, despite possessing most of the power. A .30-06 catridge is around 28 grams, while a 7.62mm x 51mm NATO was 25, but more importantly it's roughly half an inch shorter (3.25 inches to 2.75 inches), which makes it cycle better, so the decision was made to adopt it, using newer gunpowders for the time, which allowed less gunpowder to be used, and thus shortened the overall length of the case, which is usually around half the weight of most cartridges, and reduced the weight.

But, the M14 was found to have too much recoil; rather than look back at the AR-10, which had less recoil and was lighter weight, and was quieter due to the muzzlebreak/suppressor combo, they were convinced that the 5.56mm was the only option and that no weapon could reduce the recoil sufficiently, and stuck with it, instead. It was later revealed that fully automatic fire doesn't win battles, but precise accuracy, so even though the side that fires the most rounds tends to win, firing bullets aimlessly isn't what does it. I mean, obviously, all things equal, the guy who missed 10 times compared to the guy who missed 10 times and hit 1 time would be most likely to win, since his 11th round struck, and the other guy's didn't.

Quote:
During the Vietnam War Era, the standard issue rifle was the M16/A1. It was capable of Fully Automatic fire. From the early 80's to the late 90's, the standard issue weapon of the US Army was the M16A2, a lightweight, easier to repair version of the M16A1. It was capable of Semi-Automatic and Three-Round Burst action. The Fully Automatic capable M16A3 was developed alongside the M16A2 for use by Special Operations Forces and security forces. I have never seen an M16A3 in my life, and apparently they were primarily used by the CIA, Air Force Security Forces, and SEALs. The M16A4, the rifle I used in my Basic Training, was developed in the 90's and was used primarily by the USMC until the US Army adopted it shortly for the opening stages of OEF and then OIF. It is the exact same as the M16A2 except that it has more metal parts, making is slightly heavier, comes standard with an adjustable stock, and features a rail system. The current standard issue weapon of the US Army is the M4. The M4 was chosen to replace the M16A4 as it was found that carbines were more effective for close range engagement and were especially effective for COIN. The M4 fires in Semi-Automatic and Three-Round Burst. The M4A1, currently the primary carbine used by Special Operations Forces is the Fully Automatic version of the M4, and also features an upgrade package that can be used to change certain features of the carbine. Not since Vietnam has the standard issue rifle for the US Army been capable of Fully Automatic fire, which is odd.

That's because the U.S. military found that soldiers were more likely to waste ammunition. Trigger discipline and aim, not lots and lots of bullets, were integral to success. It's a tad sad that we've kept the 5.56mm despite figuring this out, but as of now there is an emphasis on marksmanship rather than shooting bullets randomly.

To put this into perspective, in Vietnam, we achieved 1 enemy causality per 50,000 rounds fired. In Iraq and Afghanistan, it's been 1 enemy causality per 3000 rounds. In combat of course, not including training rounds. Since the switch, we've actually gotten far more accurate. Accuracy does not stay the same with fully automatic weapons, as like you've already said, they tend to go off target on fully automatic fire due to muzzle rise and recoil. The only reason I want one is to be able to more effectively take down a single target, since unlike in a military environment, I don't expect to need to conserve ammo, since I'm not out in the field carrying all the gear I'll have on me, including food and water, a backpack etc., and instead just need a gun in my house or in self defense somewhere publicly.

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear, the most infantry kills were made with automatic weapons. Remember that over 2/3rds of the soldiers that served in WW2 were draftees and received minimal training, which added to the ineffectiveness of the M1 rifle.

The M1 was fairly effective, but most infantry weapons in WWII were full auto. From the Thompson submachine gun, to the BAR, to the M1919 Browning, virtually all guns used by soldiers were fully automatic at the time, so that's not a surprise. But even machine guns were expected to be fired in bursts, rather than full auto. You don't just pump rounds at the enemy, you fire in controlled, accurate short bursts. And in any case, mortars, RPG's, rifle grenades, grenades, and other explosives still typically were the biggest killers on the battlefield. When you got close enough to employ them, you could take out several soldiers all in the same area, since it does actually produce a shockwave in a 3-dimensional area, and thus you could miss by 5-10 feet and still kill the person, and his whole squad, all at once, where as bullets were likely to miss a lot.

Quote:
Have you ever tried to aim a machine gun? You can get your sights on target initially, but once you pull that trigger, it is damn near impossible to keep your sight picture, even when mounted to a vehicle. Every... Seventh, I believe, round in a machine gun belt is a tracer. That is how you aim your sustained fire. You look for where the tracer is hitting, and adjust off of that. You should not be firing sustained though. You should be firing in a three to five second burst. In BCT they teach you a phrase, such as "die terrorist die", which should take you that 3-5s to say. When firing in this way, you find your target, pull the trigger, reacquire your target, do it again until it goes down.

Which only confirms the fact that the realistic way to fire a machine gun is not continuously, shooting 50 people right in a row, but in controlled, accurate bursts, suggesting you still need to aim.

Quote:
Firing more slowly does not mean you will hit more targets. Have you ever fired a rifle? Have you ever fired one at a moving target? Most people cannot hit a moving target with a rifle. The US Army's rifle qualification has a total of 40 targets. On a pop-up range, the lowest possible score while still qualifying is Marksman, the average score is Sharpshooter, and the highest score is Expert. You must hit 30-35 targets at ranges of 10-300m in order to get Sharpshooter. These are immobile, large, inanimate targets in a controlled environment where you're prepped to shoot, using optics and still most people are incapable of hitting just 40 of these. Many only score Marksman, and even some don't qualify at all. Some of these targets are 10m away. I could throw my magazine and hit them at that range. You don't even need to actually shoot the target to make it go down. If you hit the berm in front of the target, the rocks and dirt you kick up are enough to make it go down. You can miss and still score. Most trained, battle-ready soldiers cannot hit a transversing target at under 300m. It's hard. It's really hard. Now imagine trying to do that with a human being who is running, in a stressful environment, with presumably little time. That would be hard for even a military trained combat veteran.

It's really not that hard to hit a moving target with a little bit of training, but it's much easier to do with a machine gun, which is one of hte main reasons I want a fully automatic weapon. Not about killing lots of people, but killing one guy really well. If you're an assassin, or a murderer or something, you're liklely not expecting your target to fight back; if you ambush an old granny in an alley way, chances are they're not going to do too well in response. At that point, it doesn't really matter what gun you have. Where as, almost all self defense scenarios will be against someone who can't fight back, you know, presuming you were attacked first in the first place, so we can almost always assume a dynamic situation against fighting, moving targets in self defense. So, it wouldn't really help out a murderer, where as it would help out people for self defense. It's true that a criminal could defend themselves better, but I'd rather the other side be laying down tons of covering fire, loud attention getting streams of bullets, for many minutes until the cops arrive, than to just get shot becuase I'm too slow.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you're firing more slowly if 2/3rds of your shots are missing anyways. Take a soldier armed with an M16A3 and a soldier armed with an M16A4. They're both the same soldier, same marksmanship ability, same amount of experience, etc. Put them into a combat zone and see who hits more of their targets. Guarantee the one with the A3 will be hitting more, because he finds his target, and puts four rounds across its path. The one with the A4 will be expending just as much ammunition, but also still missing his shots. Remember how the US Army switched to the smaller 5.56mm round so they could carry more ammunition? This is why. Because the Army is expecting you to miss most of your shots. Putting more ammo down range is tried and tested true more effective than hoping you can hit a single target with a single round.

It's more like 1 in 3000, but we've seen a significant leap in accuracy since we've switched, so it's not really the case.

Quote:
I know many people can get a hold of an automatic weapon anyways. I know many criminal elements horde automatic weapons. That doesn't mean giving everyone else a machine gun will make anything any better. Look at the Cold War. The Soviet Union builds tanks, the US builds tanks. The Soviets build jets, the US builds jets. The Soviets build nukes, the US builds nukes. No, we never got into a shooting war because of the mutual fear, but did it actually make the world any safer? Do you think people back then felt safe, with the constant threat of conventional or thermonuclear war? And now the world is saturated with post-Soviet weaponry and hardware because of the mass stockpile of weapons that simply vanished once they dissolved. Think of the places those weapons went. Look at Sudan. Most of the population of Sudan has an AK. Does that look like a safe place to you? Or how about Afghanistan? That look like an ideal place to live? Everyone in Afghanistan has a gun. Everyone. If we search a house and they don't have an AK somewhere, that's suspicious. It means they're hiding it with all the other guns in the walls somewhere. Everyone there has a gun, and how safe do you think that place is?

In Switzerland, virtually every citizen has a fully automatic military weapon (The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations), and it has the lowest crime rate in the world. Afghanistan is dangerous because of the terrorists and Taliban forces trying to take them over, and the limited government response available since they're not a fully developed nation, and less about the guns. More deaths are due to IED's and explosives than any other thing, so guns really don't make things more dangerous. I think it's obvious that the presence of firearms is not directly responsible for the current situations in both countries.

Guns are useful because they have finesse, putting accurate fire on a single point. They don't just give you the ability to kill lots of people. If the U.S. military wants to kill lots of people, they drop bombs on them; you can destroy an entire city block in a single go with a Mk. 84, or a 400 x 400 yard area, and kill everyone within it. It's far more destructive, and can take down entire buildings. But on say, a hostage rescue mission, if you want to save the innoccent people inside, or if the terrorists blend in with the civilian population and neccesitate more discrimination between targets, then, you use a gun. A rifle, a machine gun, a sniper rifle, a way to isolate just the bad guys and not kill the good guys. At the end of the day, a gun takes a tiny little thing and accelerates it to a high velocity, which pokes tiny holes in things at long ranges. It doesn't really do lots of damage or just magically hit people, you have to land the tiny little bullet, I.E. the 5.56mm wide window of opportunity, right on the target, and then hit a vital organ, too. It's way, way harder to do than just blowing people up, but when the objective is to save the lives of innocent people and yourself, it's worth it, so you don't hit innocent people in the background, like a bomb would, or kill yourself. Suicide bombing is incredibly effective at killing people, just 1% of attacks but the majority of the casualties, so, if your goal is just to kill people, you can be very effective with explosives, if you're willing to go to the lengths to be good at killing (or used guided missiles with computers, instead). But if you want to survive, let specific individuals (I.E. innocent civilians) survive, than a gun is desirable, as it's accurate and conveniently so, with a long range. You can engage a target while running away, keep an enemy at bay, so on and so forth. Guns make great self defense weapons, for their specific attributes that they possess, from range (can engage a target AND run away at the same time, putting distance between you and them, as well as providing covering fire which keeps an enemy at bay, even if you don't hit them), to accuracy, to convenience of clicking a trigger instead of needing a full swing. You don't have to be super strong or big, or get up close and personal with your targets. Generally, just drawing one is enough to serve as a deterrent against most attackers. Despite there being roughly as many self defense cases with firearms as violent crimes, civilians only kill about 300 times a year in self defense, compared to the some 300,000+ times (according to the CDC) they draw a firearm. Most of the times, as a deterrent, it keeps a fight from ever happening, and that does make the world safer.

There are some 250,000 legal machine guns in the U.S., and 300 million people, and these firearms are extremely expensive, as well. You can only get these weapons pre-1986, meaning there's a limited number of them in existance, total, and when they break, they'll be all gone. I'd hardly call that available, or even legal, particularly considering they are illegal, but you can't be charged with a crime before the crime was put into place, so they still exist in small numbers.

Quote:
Machine guns are not cheap. You can go through a hundred rounds in an instant. You won't even realize it. You'll be firing away, then suddenly your bolt is locked back. Many who don't fire them regularly think there's a malfunction, because they don't realize they've expended all their ammunition. I was just in California for an NTC rotation with the 1/25 Infantry BCT, and we had a rookie gunner. We had to break his belts into 30 rounds so that he wouldn't burn through the little ammo we had. Aside from that, the weapon itself is pretty costly. The US Army gets its weapons in bulk for a contract price straight from the manufacturer. The replacement cost of an airborne 240 is about $7,000. This is how much a soldier must pay if they lose a 240 and it is not written off as a field loss. The Army itself is probably paying somewhere around $2,000 per weapon. For a civilian, I can't imagine you buying one from Fabrique Nationale for less then $20k. No matter how you look at it, it's going to empty your bank account.

Machine guns are currently expensive due to their rarity. Machine gun, as defined by U.S. law, is any weapon that can fire more than one round per trigger pull. An MP5, or an M16 qualifies as a machine gun, legally, just because it's capable of fully automatic fire. These are around the same price as their semiautomatic counterparts, and in some cases cheaper since they're the mass produced versions, designed for militaries. There are also cheaper machine guns, such as PKM's, RPK's, and so on that could all be easily bought for a practical price, but the only reason we can't know is due to their legality.

Ak-47's go for just 35-120 dollars on the black market, and are otherwise incredibly cheap. The rounds can be 5 cents or less.

Quote:
You have the right to bear arms. I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I feel like your right to own a machine gun threatens my right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. The courts responsibility is to interpret the US Constitution because conflicts, vagueness, and changing circumstances exist. The US Supreme Court determined that my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness takes precedence over your right to own military grade weapons. That's just the way it is in the US. It is a government of, for, and by the people, and the people don't want just anyone to own a machine gun. If you don't like it, you can go somewhere that does allow fully automatic weapons. Like Iraq, Afghanistan, or Pakistan. Those sound like lovely places.

Or switzerland, or lots of other places. My right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness shouldn't be infringed just becuase you're scared of something you don't really understand, yet it sadly still is. You won't really stop murderers from using those weapons anyways, so you're not protecting anyone by keeping them banned.

As you said yourself, criminals will get ahold of them anyways, and all it will do is leave civilians unarmed or with severely hampered means of defending themselves. They aren't super deadly, they're really not anymore useful for killing lots of people, and they've got several attributes which makes them great for self defense.

Not all "military grade" things are particularly dangerous, either. Military grade combat boots aren't super deadly, military first aid kits won't just explode at random because they're "extreme". The assumption that somehow having to do with the military makes it more dangerous just seems silly to me. Not everything in the military is designed to kill lots of people, in fact firearms in general are used when they want to avoid civilian casualties. Again, we could just bomb or nuke the place; we have enough conventional explosives to cover the world more than a single time over, and more than enough nukes. If the objective is raw death, raw body counts, than guns are a horrible weapon to choose.

There's a saying in the artillery units; Snipers get 1 shot, 1 kill (really more like .5). Artillery get 1 shot, 11 kills. You want a lot of people to disappear in an instant, want to take down a building? Blow it up. But if you want to save the innocent people inside, you need finesse, precision. Stealth, guile, astute targeting and reasoning skills, the ability to go inside and very precisely take down the bad guys. I could easily kill my target with other weapons, like a pipe bomb or molotov cocktail, but I'm asking for a weapon that's got precision, range, and many other factors which make it desirable for self defense. Explosives, RPG's, atom bombs, I get why people don't want those, you're more likely to kill yourself with such a weapon in self defense anyways (the backblast alone of an RPG would likely kill you in a confined space, a nuclear weapon is only useful as a deterrent), but machine gun bans seem to be predicated on a number of misconceptions. It's really a matter of challenging the paradigm that such weapons giving some major advantage to killing, or that firearms do in general.

Quote:
Fun fact, you cannot hit a target just as easily at 25m as you can at 300m. First off, a target at 300m appears much smaller, and is therefore harder to see and hit. At 300m, using the BIS on your rifle, the front sight post covers your target entirely. You can't even see what you're aiming at. Second, movement has a greater affect on bullet velocity over greater distances. If I pull the rifle 2cm to the right as I fire (because I fire right handed), at 25m it will probably hit about an inch from where I was aiming. At 300m, 2cm to the right could mean that my round hits almost two feet from where I was aiming. Third, bullets do not fly on a straight path. That is why you have to zero your rifle. Bullets initially rise, then level out, then fall. If you're planning on firing at a target 30m away, you need to zero your rifle at 30m. To zero your rifle, you find the way you shoot, you find the range you'll be engaging at, and you adjust your sights to compensate. At 30m, you will raise your sight up in order to force your aim down so that the round will still hit what you're aiming at even as the bullet rises. At 300m, you need to adjust your sights down so that you are being forced to aim higher to account for the bullet drop. It is not like Call of Duty at all. It is much, much more complex and much, much harder. Diagrams exist explaining all three of these points. I can find, or even just draw them myself for you. I can do that, because I see them all the time. I study them. I know them. Do not insult someone and then presume to know what you're talking about while spewing false information. Aside from being just rude, it shows just how ignorant you are. I can tell that you have never earnestly fired a weapon. Maybe you've gone to a range or hunted on a tour before, but I can tell from your post that you have never had to hit a target at more than 50m, or had any experience with any military grade weapons.

In conclusion, by historical evidence, military research, and marksmanship principals, you are more likely to hit a target, or multiple targets, when using an automatic weapon. This therefore means that automatic weapons are more destructive. There is no denying that. Any soldier would take a 240 over an M4 any day, and I guarantee that had any of the mass shootings we've been witnessing in the last decade had involved an automatic weapon, the situation could have been much, much worse. Just look at the North Hollywood Shootout of '97. Police responded to the bank robbery almost immediately, and they had a hard time combating these people.

Most of my information comes from experience, but the Lessons Learned information comes from this document.

www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA512331

Cops had a hard time fighting guys who used pressure cooker pipe bombs. No-one even died in the north hollywood shoot out. The cops shot the attackers over 10 times each AND penetrated the body armor, but they were so hyped up on drugs that they still kept fighting. It's really a matter of learning to aim, at specific body parts that aren't unarmored, like a leg or head, which is a really hard target to hit, and getting more stopping power. A 9mm is barely adequate for taking down people, and it takes lots of bullets to make them useful. In fact, that's part of the reason machine guns are so great, if you do find yourself with a 9mm, you could fire off more shots into the same target and have the cumulative effect like a shotgun, without having the drawback of recoil or chance to overpenetrate. A .30-06 could easily kill the target, but then it would pierce the armor, which would make such a weapon far more powerful than a 9mm, but worse in the hands of a criminal than a sub-machine gun firing 9mm. Preference is not the same as lethality, as again, nukes would be great weapons to have against our enemies, or artillery strikes, but most soldiers wouldn't want to murder lots of people, so they prefer guns instead.

Much of your evidence is simply false, or predicated on assumptions which don't hold true or who's implications you derived could in fact mean a lot of things than what you've interpreted as. From cause and causation, to flat out attributing qualities to something that don't exist, it seems as if you don't really know what you're talking about, in many areas, and when you do, it contradicts your other statements. Being more likely to hit your target doesn't mean more destructive, it means less destructive. If you miss more often, you're more likely to hit innocent people; you wouldn't want cars with razor blades taped to the steering wheel, because it would cause more accidents. Similarly, making a weapon less accurate and less likely to hit the target for no reason will just lead to more accidents, rather than less civilian deaths and injuries, which helps no-one.

Combined with the fact that far more deadly weapons are widely available, such as explosives, and that criminals can get these weapons anyways, it's obvious that banning them will have virtually no impact on their use by criminals, and will only serve to leave people with a worse weapon for self defense. Whether it kills more people or makes it so there's more victims, you really don't stand to help anyone by keeping them banned. And the idea that they're super powerful, and particularly this is why the military uses them, is easily challenged.

Fanatical Zealot

Spierred
Suicidesoldier#1
Spierred
Suicidesoldier#1
Spierred

Except machine guns aren't on the level of nukes. It's not about raw power, you can get more powerful guns, like .50 cals or .338 Lapua rifles, but it's a matter of capabilities and convenience. You can do things you can't do without them much more easily, such as landing rounds on the same spot or hitting moving targets much easier. It's really a matter of finesse and convenience rather than raw power. Which won't really enhance someone's ability to kill others, just fight better, which will improve self defense capabilities. But in terms of raw killing potential, lots of other weapons can fill the same place. If you're under conditions where a machine gun could kill lots of people, enemies in a straight line shoulder to shoulder and can't run away or fight back, then lots of guns, even knives or melee weapons could kill virtually as many people in the same amount of time.

I was using nukes as an example.

Let's look at the UT Tower Shooting. The shooter in this case was a former Marine marksman armed with an M1 Carbine. All of victims that Charles Whitman shot were either stationary or walking. One person he shot at who was running actually took a hit. As soon as people started running and seeking cover, he hit only three more people. A police officer who was hiding behind cover, a man running in a straight line, and a paramedic attempting to load a victim. In other words, he did not have a single evasive target. Every shot was an easy shot. This was a trained Marine sharpshooter. Most civilians probably could not have made these shots, even if they were soft targets.

Like you said, you can hit a moving target more easily with a machine gun. Had Whitman been armed with even just an automatic rifle, he could have caused catastrophically more damage. He didn't stop shooting once people started running. He stopped hitting them.

The fact of the matter, a point that has been researched and proven by the US Army, is that the more rounds you can put down range, the more likely you are to hit your target. Knives could not kill virtually as many people in the same amount of time in any situation. You come at me with a knife and I'll shoot you with a machine guns. We'll see how many holes you have in you by the time you get one in me. If I stood in the center of a 10m radius circle of targets with a machine gun, I could cut those targets in half in less than 30s. If I did the same with a knife, it would take me about ten seconds to stab a single target.

There's a matter of how fast you can draw and fire a weapon, in addition to how long a person can stay conscious with a knife after being shot. Like I've said many times, it's not an instant death machine, and only works by poking small holes in people. A person with a knife can still keep running and moving for quite some time after being shot, with some people on drugs being shot multiple times. There's all kinds of stories of people on drugs or who were crazy who kept on coming after the first shot, so a person with a knife in that situation wouldn't be stopped even if you got off the first hit. Furthermore, you're making an equivocation fallacy that better at fighting means better at killing. If you're just going based on what's better at killing, a knife, suicide bombing etc., rather than what's useful in self defense (as in, surviving the ordeal), then knives are easily just as good. Once again, against defenselsses, unarmed, slow moving or even still targets, both weapons are roughly equal. If your target can't fight back and is sitting still, Machine guns are better fighting weapons, not better killing weapons. An axe does far more damage to someone than a bullet, creating far more devastating injuries, and never runs out of ammo, but you wouldn't want an axe in self defense considering how horrible it is and how close you have to get to the target and so on and so forth. But against an unsuspecting, or boxed in target, like in the middle of a crowd, it's not really any worse off.

Also, I've done quite a bit of research on Charles Whitman; that's a horrible example to use, since it's basically exactly opposite of what you've been saying this whole time. First of all, he killed so many people and didn't have a machine gun, he used accurate and precise fire, so the idea he would have killed more with a machine gun when he killed more than the average mass shooting without one is a little bit ludicrous; in fact, it was a bolt action. He was actually better at hitting moving targets than targets that were still (to explain that, they were easier to see and spot from a range, and on a more predictable both and more or less in the open, which made them easier targets), and didn't stop shooting people until the cops finally shot him. You simply could not be more wrong. You can still do it, but it takes being a good marksmen to do so. Since the average person is not as good a marksmen, it makes sense that allowing them to have machine guns would make their lives easier.

As far as it being "proven" that it's more deadly or what have you, I'm writing another post in response to that, now.

"During Whitman's initial 18-month tour of duty in 1959 and 1960 he earned a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, a Sharpshooter's Badge, and the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Whitman received 215 out of 250 possible points on shooting tests, and did well when shooting rapidly over long distances and aiming at moving targets. After completing his assignment, Whitman applied to a U.S. Navy and Marine Corps scholarship program, intending to complete college and become a commissioned officer."

"Determined to prove his worth, Whitman took well to his initial training at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, earning performance medals and excelling at rapid fire shooting, especially where moving targets were involved"
http://www.crimeandinvestigation.co.uk/crime-files/charles-whitman-the-texas-tower-sniper

Small holes? Have you seen the damage a single M855 can do? I, personally, with mine own two eyes, have seen an M16 blow the front of someone's leg off. The entire tibialis anterior, gone. A single round from an M16 has killed hundreds of people, much less the many rounds that an M249 or other machine gun can put down range. The M240B fires an even larger round, and those rounds can literally cut someone in half.

You're creating unrealistic situations. You're saying a knife works just as well as a gun in a world where there is zero consequence for slitting someone's throat. Think real life. You stab someone, what is everyone else around you going to do? They're going to ******** book it. The cops will show up, the ex UFC fighter will drop his ice cream, the people you wanted to kill will start running or fighting. Yes, if you're killing people who will not fight back, react, run, and you had an infinite amount of time, then you can go up to each person and stab them just as well as you could shoot them. But you're talking about people having these weapons in real life, and in real life, once your victims start sprinting away from you, do you really think it's more efficient to try and chase them down and stab them, or to try and shoot them?

You did not do your research, and missed my point entirely.

Sixteen people were killed by Whitman. All of those people were either walking at a slow pace, or standing still.

32 people were wounded by Whitman. Of those, only three were actually running. He hit three mobile targets. A moving target is never easier to hit than a still target, no matter who you are. He did not stop shooting until he was killed, but once people realized they were being shot at, he only hit those last three people. If he had a machine gun, he could have probably hit a lot more than just three people. In fact, he probably would have killed all of the officers that actually went up to get him, just for starters. As for saying that targets are easier to spot from range when moving, I have fired at targets that are 400m away, and at that point they appear as black blobs. It doesn't matter whether they're moving or not, they're just as easy to see. This is one more thing that I base my "you have no idea what you're talking about" theory off of.

I am 100% sure that you have near zero experience with actually shooting, or knife fighting. No one who has ever used a machine gun would ever say that a knife is better in any situation at all. Do you know what happens when someone attacks you with a knife in the army? You back up two ******** feet and shoot that person.

You're right, the average civilian does need less training to fire a machine gun. More training to operate and maintain, but near zero training to hit something given a good amount of ammo and a steady firing position. That is why it is so dangerous. You are talking about stopping a crisis after it happens by giving everyone a machine gun, but it's too late by then. The first person with the machine gun has already killed innocent people. The point of a restriction is that it stops, or helps to stop this from happening in the first place. As well, you are then basically saying that everyone needs to get a machine gun. You are forcing people to arm themselves in order to defend themselves. That's what Afghanistan is like, and trust me when I say Afghanistan is not any more peaceful because of it. You're also sidelining the poor and anyone who has ever committed a past felony. I guess they're just out on their asses because everyone, their enemies, their dumbass friends, people who just want to murder them, has machine guns but them. There has been one mass shooting where automatic weapons were involved, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Guns are not the root of the problem in Afghanistan; places like Switzerland have guns that are mandatory to own, fully automatic machine guns in virtually every citizen's homes, and their crime rate is among the lowest in the world. It's a blatant fallacy to blame the situation in Afghanistan on the presence of firearms, when really, it's the presence of Al Qaeda and the Taliban and an inept government that can't fight them that causes the problems. Lots of American died during the civil war, due to the current state of things, not because of the guns. And more people died from disease in the civil war and IED's and explosives in Afghanistan anyways. I think the current state of affairs, you know, the actual ******** problem, has more to do with the death tolls than the presence of firearms. The U.S. has an even greater presence of firearms than Afghanistan, yet we have far less deaths.

What you're failing to understand is that machineguns are better at fighting, but not at killing. If people are running away, than machineguns won't be much better, as you'll run out of ammo quickly, or they'll get away. But if people are boxed in, say in a school classroom, or a theatre, it doesn't really matter what weapon you have. There have been stabbings with as many killings. You automatically assume a machinegun would be more dangerous in that scenario, but you're ironically presenting a scenario where a guy killed more than average in most shootings at ranges of 400 yards with a bolt action rifle. The idea that he would have killed more when people have killed far less in similar situations with similar weapons is absolutely ludicrous. "Wow, 8 people were killed with a knife in a single knife attack! That means 100 people would have been killed with a machinegun!" Your argument makes no sense, because it doesn't support the fact that machineguns are inherently more dangerous, you just say they would be even though they weren't used in those situations.

As I have already said, a knife versus a gun is less of a problem because guns have range, which inherently give an advantage over a knife, which is a melee weapon. But if you're target is undefended, that is a human, with just his fists, THAN HIS ONLY ABILITY IS AT MELEE RANGE. Thus, the idea that a knife is less deadly against unarmed targets when all a person could do in self defense is get off a punch which might leave a bruise compared to a gaping hole from a knife (if a defender throws you a punch, then the offender throws a knife stab in response), makes no sense, even if you would prefer a gun to a knife. You're making the false equivocation that because a gun is better to fight with, it would be better to kill with. At the end of the day, a defenseless person can't do much against a knife or axe or any melee weapon wielding attacker unless they're friggin bruce lee, which they likely aren't. And expecting an ex mma person to be in the crowd and to stop a knife attacker immediately also is pretty ridiculous. The point is, against defenseless targets when you have a weapon that causes significantly more trauma to a target, that the average person has virtually no chance to defend against, any weapon will more or less put them at an edge to someone without a weapon.

Furthermore, if you actually read, Charles Whitman shot most of the targets while they were moving, and was much better at hitting moving targets than targets that were still. I'm not saying it's easier for a normal person, I'm saying he did it. I know about that particular incident, specifically.

There's just so much to go in to...
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel

Quote:

Except you can't. If he wants to use one, your shitty laws are the last thing that are going to stop him from doing so. This is why we have an illicit drug problem in the US, even though almost all of them are federally banned.

The idea is to put the LAW ABIDING citizenry on the same level as the criminal, rather than at disadvantage.

If that's a fact...

Why hasn't there been a mass shooting with automatic weapons in over a decade?

Why didn't Sandy Hook, Aurora, and Binghamtom involve automatic weapons? The goal in all of these cases was mass casualties. Why did they settle for non-automatic weapons?
Suicidesoldier#1
Quote:
The original M16 used in Vietnam had the exact same cartridge and the exact same ammo capacity as the M14 it replaced. Colt Arms suggested that a smaller round be used, but the Army continued to use the 7.62x51mm round until late in the Vietnam Era because they wanted to retain the more powerful round. It wasn't until late in the Vietnam War era that they switched over to the 5.56x45mm. The idea of more rounds being carried is why the US continues to use the 5.56 Ball round as the standard cartridge, and that's because the Army found that more ammunition being fired was more effective than trying to hit a single target with a rifle.

The AR-15 wasn't adopted by U.S. service until about 1961, due to project agile, and it was only about 10 rifles at that point. The weapon you're thinking of was the AR-10, which was never adopted by the U.S., after the experimental aluminium barrel exploded they blamed it on the gun design and were inherently biased against it. The M14 was chosen instead, which was a derivative of the M1 garand, which had a 20 round detachable box magazine instead of an 8 round top fed one, and was a little bit lighter and shorter, for the overall barrel length. It also used the 7.62mm x 51mm NATO, instead of the .30-06, which was a little bit lighter weight, and most importantly shorter, despite possessing most of the power. A .30-06 catridge is around 28 grams, while a 7.62mm x 51mm NATO was 25, but more importantly it's roughly half an inch shorter (3.25 inches to 2.75 inches), which makes it cycle better, so the decision was made to adopt it, using newer gunpowders for the time, which allowed less gunpowder to be used, and thus shortened the overall length of the case, which is usually around half the weight of most cartridges, and reduced the weight.

But, the M14 was found to have too much recoil; rather than look back at the AR-10, which had less recoil and was lighter weight, and was quieter due to the muzzlebreak/suppressor combo, they were convinced that the 5.56mm was the only option and that no weapon could reduce the recoil sufficiently, and stuck with it, instead. It was later revealed that fully automatic fire doesn't win battles, but precise accuracy, so even though the side that fires the most rounds tends to win, firing bullets aimlessly isn't what does it. I mean, obviously, all things equal, the guy who missed 10 times compared to the guy who missed 10 times and hit 1 time would be most likely to win, since his 11th round struck, and the other guy's didn't.

Quote:
During the Vietnam War Era, the standard issue rifle was the M16/A1. It was capable of Fully Automatic fire. From the early 80's to the late 90's, the standard issue weapon of the US Army was the M16A2, a lightweight, easier to repair version of the M16A1. It was capable of Semi-Automatic and Three-Round Burst action. The Fully Automatic capable M16A3 was developed alongside the M16A2 for use by Special Operations Forces and security forces. I have never seen an M16A3 in my life, and apparently they were primarily used by the CIA, Air Force Security Forces, and SEALs. The M16A4, the rifle I used in my Basic Training, was developed in the 90's and was used primarily by the USMC until the US Army adopted it shortly for the opening stages of OEF and then OIF. It is the exact same as the M16A2 except that it has more metal parts, making is slightly heavier, comes standard with an adjustable stock, and features a rail system. The current standard issue weapon of the US Army is the M4. The M4 was chosen to replace the M16A4 as it was found that carbines were more effective for close range engagement and were especially effective for COIN. The M4 fires in Semi-Automatic and Three-Round Burst. The M4A1, currently the primary carbine used by Special Operations Forces is the Fully Automatic version of the M4, and also features an upgrade package that can be used to change certain features of the carbine. Not since Vietnam has the standard issue rifle for the US Army been capable of Fully Automatic fire, which is odd.

That's because the U.S. military found that soldiers were more likely to waste ammunition. Trigger discipline and aim, not lots and lots of bullets, were integral to success. It's a tad sad that we've kept the 5.56mm despite figuring this out, but as of now there is an emphasis on marksmanship rather than shooting bullets randomly.

To put this into perspective, in Vietnam, we achieved 1 enemy causality per 50,000 rounds fired. In Iraq and Afghanistan, it's been 1 enemy causality per 3000 rounds. In combat of course, not including training rounds. Since the switch, we've actually gotten far more accurate. Accuracy does not stay the same with fully automatic weapons, as like you've already said, they tend to go off target on fully automatic fire due to muzzle rise and recoil. The only reason I want one is to be able to more effectively take down a single target, since unlike in a military environment, I don't expect to need to conserve ammo, since I'm not out in the field carrying all the gear I'll have on me, including food and water, a backpack etc., and instead just need a gun in my house or in self defense somewhere publicly.

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear, the most infantry kills were made with automatic weapons. Remember that over 2/3rds of the soldiers that served in WW2 were draftees and received minimal training, which added to the ineffectiveness of the M1 rifle.

The M1 was fairly effective, but most infantry weapons in WWII were full auto. From the Thompson submachine gun, to the BAR, to the M1919 Browning, virtually all guns used by soldiers were fully automatic at the time, so that's not a surprise. But even machine guns were expected to be fired in bursts, rather than full auto. You don't just pump rounds at the enemy, you fire in controlled, accurate short bursts. And in any case, mortars, RPG's, rifle grenades, grenades, and other explosives still typically were the biggest killers on the battlefield. When you got close enough to employ them, you could take out several soldiers all in the same area, since it does actually produce a shockwave in a 3-dimensional area, and thus you could miss by 5-10 feet and still kill the person, and his whole squad, all at once, where as bullets were likely to miss a lot.

Quote:
Have you ever tried to aim a machine gun? You can get your sights on target initially, but once you pull that trigger, it is damn near impossible to keep your sight picture, even when mounted to a vehicle. Every... Seventh, I believe, round in a machine gun belt is a tracer. That is how you aim your sustained fire. You look for where the tracer is hitting, and adjust off of that. You should not be firing sustained though. You should be firing in a three to five second burst. In BCT they teach you a phrase, such as "die terrorist die", which should take you that 3-5s to say. When firing in this way, you find your target, pull the trigger, reacquire your target, do it again until it goes down.

Which only confirms the fact that the realistic way to fire a machine gun is not continuously, shooting 50 people right in a row, but in controlled, accurate bursts, suggesting you still need to aim.

Quote:
Firing more slowly does not mean you will hit more targets. Have you ever fired a rifle? Have you ever fired one at a moving target? Most people cannot hit a moving target with a rifle. The US Army's rifle qualification has a total of 40 targets. On a pop-up range, the lowest possible score while still qualifying is Marksman, the average score is Sharpshooter, and the highest score is Expert. You must hit 30-35 targets at ranges of 10-300m in order to get Sharpshooter. These are immobile, large, inanimate targets in a controlled environment where you're prepped to shoot, using optics and still most people are incapable of hitting just 40 of these. Many only score Marksman, and even some don't qualify at all. Some of these targets are 10m away. I could throw my magazine and hit them at that range. You don't even need to actually shoot the target to make it go down. If you hit the berm in front of the target, the rocks and dirt you kick up are enough to make it go down. You can miss and still score. Most trained, battle-ready soldiers cannot hit a transversing target at under 300m. It's hard. It's really hard. Now imagine trying to do that with a human being who is running, in a stressful environment, with presumably little time. That would be hard for even a military trained combat veteran.

It's really not that hard to hit a moving target with a little bit of training, but it's much easier to do with a machine gun, which is one of hte main reasons I want a fully automatic weapon. Not about killing lots of people, but killing one guy really well. If you're an assassin, or a murderer or something, you're liklely not expecting your target to fight back; if you ambush an old granny in an alley way, chances are they're not going to do too well in response. At that point, it doesn't really matter what gun you have. Where as, almost all self defense scenarios will be against someone who can't fight back, you know, presuming you were attacked first in the first place, so we can almost always assume a dynamic situation against fighting, moving targets in self defense. So, it wouldn't really help out a murderer, where as it would help out people for self defense. It's true that a criminal could defend themselves better, but I'd rather the other side be laying down tons of covering fire, loud attention getting streams of bullets, for many minutes until the cops arrive, than to just get shot becuase I'm too slow.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you're firing more slowly if 2/3rds of your shots are missing anyways. Take a soldier armed with an M16A3 and a soldier armed with an M16A4. They're both the same soldier, same marksmanship ability, same amount of experience, etc. Put them into a combat zone and see who hits more of their targets. Guarantee the one with the A3 will be hitting more, because he finds his target, and puts four rounds across its path. The one with the A4 will be expending just as much ammunition, but also still missing his shots. Remember how the US Army switched to the smaller 5.56mm round so they could carry more ammunition? This is why. Because the Army is expecting you to miss most of your shots. Putting more ammo down range is tried and tested true more effective than hoping you can hit a single target with a single round.

It's more like 1 in 3000, but we've seen a significant leap in accuracy since we've switched, so it's not really the case.

Quote:
I know many people can get a hold of an automatic weapon anyways. I know many criminal elements horde automatic weapons. That doesn't mean giving everyone else a machine gun will make anything any better. Look at the Cold War. The Soviet Union builds tanks, the US builds tanks. The Soviets build jets, the US builds jets. The Soviets build nukes, the US builds nukes. No, we never got into a shooting war because of the mutual fear, but did it actually make the world any safer? Do you think people back then felt safe, with the constant threat of conventional or thermonuclear war? And now the world is saturated with post-Soviet weaponry and hardware because of the mass stockpile of weapons that simply vanished once they dissolved. Think of the places those weapons went. Look at Sudan. Most of the population of Sudan has an AK. Does that look like a safe place to you? Or how about Afghanistan? That look like an ideal place to live? Everyone in Afghanistan has a gun. Everyone. If we search a house and they don't have an AK somewhere, that's suspicious. It means they're hiding it with all the other guns in the walls somewhere. Everyone there has a gun, and how safe do you think that place is?

In Switzerland, virtually every citizen has a fully automatic military weapon (The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations), and it has the lowest crime rate in the world. Afghanistan is dangerous because of the terrorists and Taliban forces trying to take them over, and the limited government response available since they're not a fully developed nation, and less about the guns. More deaths are due to IED's and explosives than any other thing, so guns really don't make things more dangerous. I think it's obvious that the presence of firearms is not directly responsible for the current situations in both countries.

Guns are useful because they have finesse, putting accurate fire on a single point. They don't just give you the ability to kill lots of people. If the U.S. military wants to kill lots of people, they drop bombs on them; you can destroy an entire city block in a single go with a Mk. 84, or a 400 x 400 yard area, and kill everyone within it. It's far more destructive, and can take down entire buildings. But on say, a hostage rescue mission, if you want to save the innoccent people inside, or if the terrorists blend in with the civilian population and neccesitate more discrimination between targets, then, you use a gun. A rifle, a machine gun, a sniper rifle, a way to isolate just the bad guys and not kill the good guys. At the end of the day, a gun takes a tiny little thing and accelerates it to a high velocity, which pokes tiny holes in things at long ranges. It doesn't really do lots of damage or just magically hit people, you have to land the tiny little bullet, I.E. the 5.56mm wide window of opportunity, right on the target, and then hit a vital organ, too. It's way, way harder to do than just blowing people up, but when the objective is to save the lives of innocent people and yourself, it's worth it, so you don't hit innocent people in the background, like a bomb would, or kill yourself. Suicide bombing is incredibly effective at killing people, just 1% of attacks but the majority of the casualties, so, if your goal is just to kill people, you can be very effective with explosives, if you're willing to go to the lengths to be good at killing (or used guided missiles with computers, instead). But if you want to survive, let specific individuals (I.E. innocent civilians) survive, than a gun is desirable, as it's accurate and conveniently so, with a long range. You can engage a target while running away, keep an enemy at bay, so on and so forth. Guns make great self defense weapons, for their specific attributes that they possess, from range (can engage a target AND run away at the same time, putting distance between you and them, as well as providing covering fire which keeps an enemy at bay, even if you don't hit them), to accuracy, to convenience of clicking a trigger instead of needing a full swing. You don't have to be super strong or big, or get up close and personal with your targets. Generally, just drawing one is enough to serve as a deterrent against most attackers. Despite there being roughly as many self defense cases with firearms as violent crimes, civilians only kill about 300 times a year in self defense, compared to the some 300,000+ times (according to the CDC) they draw a firearm. Most of the times, as a deterrent, it keeps a fight from ever happening, and that does make the world safer.

There are some 250,000 legal machine guns in the U.S., and 300 million people, and these firearms are extremely expensive, as well. You can only get these weapons pre-1986, meaning there's a limited number of them in existance, total, and when they break, they'll be all gone. I'd hardly call that available, or even legal, particularly considering they are illegal, but you can't be charged with a crime before the crime was put into place, so they still exist in small numbers.

Quote:
Machine guns are not cheap. You can go through a hundred rounds in an instant. You won't even realize it. You'll be firing away, then suddenly your bolt is locked back. Many who don't fire them regularly think there's a malfunction, because they don't realize they've expended all their ammunition. I was just in California for an NTC rotation with the 1/25 Infantry BCT, and we had a rookie gunner. We had to break his belts into 30 rounds so that he wouldn't burn through the little ammo we had. Aside from that, the weapon itself is pretty costly. The US Army gets its weapons in bulk for a contract price straight from the manufacturer. The replacement cost of an airborne 240 is about $7,000. This is how much a soldier must pay if they lose a 240 and it is not written off as a field loss. The Army itself is probably paying somewhere around $2,000 per weapon. For a civilian, I can't imagine you buying one from Fabrique Nationale for less then $20k. No matter how you look at it, it's going to empty your bank account.

Machine guns are currently expensive due to their rarity. Machine gun, as defined by U.S. law, is any weapon that can fire more than one round per trigger pull. An MP5, or an M16 qualifies as a machine gun, legally, just because it's capable of fully automatic fire. These are around the same price as their semiautomatic counterparts, and in some cases cheaper since they're the mass produced versions, designed for militaries. There are also cheaper machine guns, such as PKM's, RPK's, and so on that could all be easily bought for a practical price, but the only reason we can't know is due to their legality.

Ak-47's go for just 35-120 dollars on the black market, and are otherwise incredibly cheap. The rounds can be 5 cents or less.

Quote:
You have the right to bear arms. I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I feel like your right to own a machine gun threatens my right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. The courts responsibility is to interpret the US Constitution because conflicts, vagueness, and changing circumstances exist. The US Supreme Court determined that my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness takes precedence over your right to own military grade weapons. That's just the way it is in the US. It is a government of, for, and by the people, and the people don't want just anyone to own a machine gun. If you don't like it, you can go somewhere that does allow fully automatic weapons. Like Iraq, Afghanistan, or Pakistan. Those sound like lovely places.

Or switzerland, or lots of other places. My right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness shouldn't be infringed just becuase you're scared of something you don't really understand, yet it sadly still is. You won't really stop murderers from using those weapons anyways, so you're not protecting anyone by keeping them banned.

As you said yourself, criminals will get ahold of them anyways, and all it will do is leave civilians unarmed or with severely hampered means of defending themselves. They aren't super deadly, they're really not anymore useful for killing lots of people, and they've got several attributes which makes them great for self defense.

Not all "military grade" things are particularly dangerous, either. Military grade combat boots aren't super deadly, military first aid kits won't just explode at random because they're "extreme". The assumption that somehow having to do with the military makes it more dangerous just seems silly to me. Not everything in the military is designed to kill lots of people, in fact firearms in general are used when they want to avoid civilian casualties. Again, we could just bomb or nuke the place; we have enough conventional explosives to cover the world more than a single time over, and more than enough nukes. If the objective is raw death, raw body counts, than guns are a horrible weapon to choose.

There's a saying in the artillery units; Snipers get 1 shot, 1 kill (really more like .5). Artillery get 1 shot, 11 kills. You want a lot of people to disappear in an instant, want to take down a building? Blow it up. But if you want to save the innocent people inside, you need finesse, precision. Stealth, guile, astute targeting and reasoning skills, the ability to go inside and very precisely take down the bad guys. I could easily kill my target with other weapons, like a pipe bomb or molotov cocktail, but I'm asking for a weapon that's got precision, range, and many other factors which make it desirable for self defense. Explosives, RPG's, atom bombs, I get why people don't want those, you're more likely to kill yourself with such a weapon in self defense anyways (the backblast alone of an RPG would likely kill you in a confined space, a nuclear weapon is only useful as a deterrent), but machine gun bans seem to be predicated on a number of misconceptions. It's really a matter of challenging the paradigm that such weapons giving some major advantage to killing, or that firearms do in general.

Quote:
Fun fact, you cannot hit a target just as easily at 25m as you can at 300m. First off, a target at 300m appears much smaller, and is therefore harder to see and hit. At 300m, using the BIS on your rifle, the front sight post covers your target entirely. You can't even see what you're aiming at. Second, movement has a greater affect on bullet velocity over greater distances. If I pull the rifle 2cm to the right as I fire (because I fire right handed), at 25m it will probably hit about an inch from where I was aiming. At 300m, 2cm to the right could mean that my round hits almost two feet from where I was aiming. Third, bullets do not fly on a straight path. That is why you have to zero your rifle. Bullets initially rise, then level out, then fall. If you're planning on firing at a target 30m away, you need to zero your rifle at 30m. To zero your rifle, you find the way you shoot, you find the range you'll be engaging at, and you adjust your sights to compensate. At 30m, you will raise your sight up in order to force your aim down so that the round will still hit what you're aiming at even as the bullet rises. At 300m, you need to adjust your sights down so that you are being forced to aim higher to account for the bullet drop. It is not like Call of Duty at all. It is much, much more complex and much, much harder. Diagrams exist explaining all three of these points. I can find, or even just draw them myself for you. I can do that, because I see them all the time. I study them. I know them. Do not insult someone and then presume to know what you're talking about while spewing false information. Aside from being just rude, it shows just how ignorant you are. I can tell that you have never earnestly fired a weapon. Maybe you've gone to a range or hunted on a tour before, but I can tell from your post that you have never had to hit a target at more than 50m, or had any experience with any military grade weapons.

In conclusion, by historical evidence, military research, and marksmanship principals, you are more likely to hit a target, or multiple targets, when using an automatic weapon. This therefore means that automatic weapons are more destructive. There is no denying that. Any soldier would take a 240 over an M4 any day, and I guarantee that had any of the mass shootings we've been witnessing in the last decade had involved an automatic weapon, the situation could have been much, much worse. Just look at the North Hollywood Shootout of '97. Police responded to the bank robbery almost immediately, and they had a hard time combating these people.

Most of my information comes from experience, but the Lessons Learned information comes from this document.

Cops had a hard time fighting guys who used pressure cooker pipe bombs. No-one even died in the north hollywood shoot out. The cops shot the attackers over 10 times each AND penetrated the body armor, but they were so hyped up on drugs that they still kept fighting. It's really a matter of learning to aim, at specific body parts that aren't unarmored, like a leg or head, which is a really hard target to hit, and getting more stopping power. A 9mm is barely adequate for taking down people, and it takes lots of bullets to make them useful. In fact, that's part of the reason machine guns are so great, if you do find yourself with a 9mm, you could fire off more shots into the same target and have the cumulative effect like a shotgun, without having the drawback of recoil or chance to overpenetrate. A .30-06 could easily kill the target, but then it would pierce the armor, which would make such a weapon far more powerful than a 9mm, but worse in the hands of a criminal than a sub-machine gun firing 9mm. Preference is not the same as lethality, as again, nukes would be great weapons to have against our enemies, or artillery strikes, but most soldiers wouldn't want to murder lots of people, so they prefer guns instead.

Much of your evidence is simply false, or predicated on assumptions which don't hold true or who's implications you derived could in fact mean a lot of things than what you've interpreted as. From cause and causation, to flat out attributing qualities to something that don't exist, it seems as if you don't really know what you're talking about, in many areas, and when you do, it contradicts your other statements. Being more likely to hit your target doesn't mean more destructive, it means less destructive. If you miss more often, you're more likely to hit innocent people; you wouldn't want cars with razor blades taped to the steering wheel, because it would cause more accidents. Similarly, making a weapon less accurate and less likely to hit the target for no reason will just lead to more accidents, rather than less civilian deaths and injuries, which helps no-one.

Combined with the fact that far more deadly weapons are widely available, such as explosives, and that criminals can get these weapons anyways, it's obvious that banning them will have virtually no impact on their use by criminals, and will only serve to leave people with a worse weapon for self defense. Whether it kills more people or makes it so there's more victims, you really don't stand to help anyone by keeping them banned. And the idea that they're super powerful, and particularly this is why the military uses them, is easily challenged.

I have one question to ask you, because obviously you are not going to listen to anything I say. I could refute line by line almost everything you have replied, just as you attempted for me. I'll even just give you this one. Owning an automatic weapon in Switzerland is illegal. In fact, partially due to its membership in the EU, gun ownership in Switzerland is more restrictive than in the US, with permits being harder to get.

Quote:
The Weapons Act contains a comprehensive regime for the licensing of the acquisition and carrying of permitted weapons; the banning of certain weapons, including automatic firearms; and the production and trade in weapons, including the reporting obligations of dealers and a registration system that covers all privately owned guns, including those acquired by inheritance, but not including hunting rifles. The federal Weapons Act is implemented by the cantons and the cantons also keep registers of privately owned guns. The provisions on ammunition are in keeping with the principles of the Act, which aims to deter abuse while permitting lawful gunownership.

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/switzerland.php#t39

You keep it during your conscription term, but once your term ends, they ask for the rifle back. If you choose to keep the rifle, you still send it back, and they return it with the automatic function removed.

Back to my one question.

Aside from wikipedia, what sources do you have for any of your information? Are you a knife fighter? A gunslinger? A military historian? An armorer? Are you even someone who is at all familiar with automatic weapons? Do you own one? Are you a soldier? Do you work for a defense contractor or defense systems manufacturer? A research tech?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred

Quote:

If that's a fact...

Why didn't Sandy Hook, Aurora, and Binghamtom involve automatic weapons? The goal in all of these cases was mass casualties. Why did they settle for non-automatic weapons?

Because they didn't care enough about it. You erroneously assume that the goal is "let's see how many people I can kill!", even though most of them have ended at seemingly random points, where the shooter just said "******** it. Good enough", and turned the weapon upon themselves.

That, and shooters rarely think it through that far. All they care about, is that they have a weapon, and their victims do not. It's definitely not a matter of "I can't get one". Hell, you can MAKE one out of a semi-auto, with nothing but a file that you can get at any hardware store on the planet. And it's not exactly top secret intel, either. Just a pin that you file off.
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel

If that's a fact...

Because they didn't care enough about it. You erroneously assume that the goal is "let's see how many people I can kill!", even though most of them have ended at seemingly random points, where the shooter just said "******** it. Good enough", and turned the weapon upon themselves.

That, and shooters rarely think it through that far. All they care about, is that they have a weapon, and their victims do not. It's definitely not a matter of "I can't get one". Hell, you can MAKE one out of a semi-auto, with nothing but a file that you can get at any hardware store on the planet. And it's not exactly top secret intel, either. Just a pin that you file off.

Most shooting sprees end when the shooter gets killed.

James Holmes managed to get a hold of tear gas, a kevlar vest, a rifle, and a shotgun. A journal was found where Holmes planned the attack. That doesn't seem like he didn't care enough about it, or didn't think it through. Guess he just didn't care enough to get one of these oh so easy to find automatic weapons?

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold was looking up how to make pipe-bombs two years prior to the Columbine shooting. He had also already started massing weapons and making a kill list. While in high school they were able to get a hold of two shot guns, several pistols, and a carbine rifle. In at least two years before their attack, they were able to get a carbine rifle, and were making bombs. Couldn't get their hands on an automatic weapon though.

At Sandy Hook, Adam Lanza created a 7x4 foot spreadsheet detailing every aspect of every mass shooting that had happened in the US, as well as compiling videos of prior mass shootings. Police investigation dictated that the spreadsheet had taken years to make. Lanza was planning for years, and he never got an automatic weapon.

Then there's the North Hollywood Shootout. Larry Phillips and Emil Mătăsăreanu are infamous for this shootout not because of casualties inflicted, but because they somehow got a hold of automatic weapons. In fact, the Norinco Type 56, a PRC copycat of the AK-47, was semi-automatic. Norinco, whose firearms are illegal in the US, is known for exporting PLA military firearms to the civilian and foreign militia market. I was trying to get my hands no a Type-95 myself when I learned of the ban on Norinco. The given reason for the ban is that Norinco is notorious for cutting corners, especially when it comes to modifying their weapons to Semi-Automatic, generally leaving their rifles easily returnable to a Full Automatic action. The North Hollywood Shootout perpetrators were using these modified Type 56 rifles, reverse engineered in order to allow them to fire in full automatic. So what was different about Larry and Emil? They were rich. They had a lot of money. The North Hollywood BoA was the third case of robbery for these two on top of Larry being a professional scam artist.

Even with preparation, even with intent, the only time that automatic weapons have actually been used in a shooting was when two very rich individuals modified a Chinese knockoff.

Fanatical Zealot

Spierred
Suicidesoldier#1
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have one question to ask you, because obviously you are not going to listen to anything I say. I could refute line by line almost everything you have replied, just as you attempted for me. I'll even just give you this one. Owning an automatic weapon in Switzerland is illegal. In fact, partially due to its membership in the EU, gun ownership in Switzerland is more restrictive than in the US, with permits being harder to get.

Quote:
The Weapons Act contains a comprehensive regime for the licensing of the acquisition and carrying of permitted weapons; the banning of certain weapons, including automatic firearms; and the production and trade in weapons, including the reporting obligations of dealers and a registration system that covers all privately owned guns, including those acquired by inheritance, but not including hunting rifles. The federal Weapons Act is implemented by the cantons and the cantons also keep registers of privately owned guns. The provisions on ammunition are in keeping with the principles of the Act, which aims to deter abuse while permitting lawful gunownership.

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/switzerland.php#t39

You keep it during your conscription term, but once your term ends, they ask for the rifle back. If you choose to keep the rifle, you still send it back, and they return it with the automatic function removed.

Back to my one question.

Aside from wikipedia, what sources do you have for any of your information? Are you a knife fighter? A gunslinger? A military historian? An armorer? Are you even someone who is at all familiar with automatic weapons? Do you own one? Are you a soldier? Do you work for a defense contractor or defense systems manufacturer? A research tech?

You can't refute most of what I said, because you're definitively wrong. The AR direct impingement gas system was never with the 7.62mm caliber in the U.S. military, and even the earliest AR's used in the military, in Vietnam, back before it was officially adopted, back when there were just 10 testing weapons, were 5.56mm. There was simply never a time that a DI weapon, let alone a variant of the M16, was ever used in 7.62mm x 51mm NATO by the U.S. military. 30-40% of Switzerland's population, at any point in time, has a fully automatic machine gun available to them, and yet the situation is not as bad as in Afghanistan, where it's around the same. You claim a soldier has the same chance to hit in fully automatic fire without aiming as he does in semiautomatic fire with aiming, and that's why the military uses fully automatic weapons, then contradict yourself by saying the fully automatic fire mechanisms were disabled and removed (I.E., they don't use them), and soldiers are expected to fire in bursts, as to not waste ammunition, and to utilize aimed accurate fire to take down their targets.

You outright claim that machine guns increase the chance to hit, despite the fact that in the Vietnam era they had a 50,000 round per kill ratio, and snipers have .5, and the average modern soldier has around 3000. There's just so much to go into, more than just the belief that machine guns are super deadly, but also ridiculous claims about how it's the best weapon to use against your enemy, when you already know that things like grenades, mortars, RPG's and so on, kill far more people, on top of artillery and aircraft. You talk about how impossible it is to hit a moving target, when the very instances of what you show are examples that refute the idea that a machinegun would be necessary to do so. You claim that because machine guns are preffered weapons by the military, that they must more deadly, even though things like nuclear bombs or nerve gas would be more effective, but a desire to reduce civilian casualties is why we haven't just nuked or carpet bombed the whole place, and instead sent in infantry to discriminate between targets, and just take out the bad guys. That because they're better at fighting with, they must be better at killing with; a poison can kill someone just as effectively as a gun, if not more effectively, with near 100% chances of killing them, and can give you several hours to escape the country after doing so; but taking days to kill a target isn't very useful when you have a gun to your head, I.E. in self defense.

Then, you make the mistake of trying to appeal to authority, by requesting my credentials. That just means you're bad at life. It shouldn't matter where I come from, what I do for a living, what my experience is. The facts are the facts. You don't change anything by me being a Navy Seal, an Airborne soldier, a medic, a crazed loner in the basement. The facts are right regardless of a perosn who says them; a bumbling schizophrenic who says something, even if he doesn't know what he's saying, even if it's random, is still right if what he says is right; if he says, "your hair is red", and it is, then, he's right, even if he doesn't realize why. A person who says something sarcastically, such as "Yeah, the earth is filled full of tons of microwave and radio wave background radiation", is still right, even if he didn't mean to be. The facts are what they are, regardless of who says them, or what medium you get them through.

As for wikipedia, I provided more sources than that, and all you have to do is check wikipedia's sources to figure it out. However, if you want more information, such as about the M16 never using 7.62mm x 51mm NATO ammunition in the U.S. military, there's DARPA[/url (who was in control of project agile)], and globalsecurity.org, who is considered a fairly reputable source. Most of their information is directly compiled from use sources, which are largely in book form. But the reality is, it doesn't really change anything, regardless of my background. It is wholly irrelevant.

As far as it goes, the switch to the 5.56mm was made because the M14 was too large and bulky for jungle warfare. It was found that a team of guys with an M16 could defeat a team of guys with the M14, because it's lighter weight and smaller size, meant it was more manoeuvrable, and the lighter weight of the ammunition meant you could carry about twice as much, and thus all things equal with an equal combat pack in weight, could simply outgun the guys with the M14, keep them at bay with covering fire until they ran out of ammo and then close the distance, even though the M16 had a shorter range. Against ak's, it was found to be a more suitable weapon than the heavier and bulkier M14, which while more powerful, didn't offer the manoeuvrability they needed. Granted, the M4 is far better in that department, and due to the DI system's gas buffer tube eliminates the potential of being bullpup, which is inherently better, making the weapon not as good to begin with, combined with the velocity dependent cartridge needing a longer barrel in general, but that's why it replaced

They kept the 3 round burst function so it could fire 3 shots quickly, in the same spot, more or less to increase stopping power, like a shotgun firing multiple pellets. The M855 [1][2] has very inconsistent wounding mechanics, with most of the catastrophic injuries being a result of fragmentation, which is not only against the Hague convention (no explosive, fragmenting, or expanding bullets), but only occurs a small portion of the time, which isn't always fragmentation that leads to severe injuries. Stuff: "Two other yaw issues: Angle-of-Attack (AOA) variations between different projectiles, even within the same lot of ammo, as well as Fleet Yaw variations between different rifles, were elucidated in 2006 by the Joint Service Wound Ballistic Integrated Product Team (JSWB-IPT), which included experts from the military law enforcement user community, trauma surgeons, aero ballisticians, weapon and munitions engineers, and other scientific specialists. These yaw issues were most noticeable at close ranges and were more prevalent with certain calibers and bullet styles — the most susceptible being 5.56x45mm FMJ ammunition like M855 and M193.”

Fanatical Zealot

Spierred
black_wing_angel
Spierred
black_wing_angel

If that's a fact...

Your assumption has always been that fully automatic weapons would have been better. The fact that they are available and rarely used is an indication that it's not as important; in fact, most the deaths by the Aurora shooting was by a pump action shotgun even, not even semi-automatic. The problem is your preconceived notion that it MUST BE more dangerous, despite all the evidence to the contrary. And when faced with that, you just say "well, a machine gun WOULD have been more dangerous!" despite the fact that the very examples you show directly refute that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff