Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am interested to know what your perspective and assumptions are about Native American culture and existance. Simply tell me what you know about the indigenous people of the land known as Northern America.

If you are an indigenous person from a differenet land, I would enjoy hearing about your struggle and existance within a seperate dominant society.

Dapper Player

Native Americans don't have one culture.
Iorveth
Native Americans don't have one culture.

Obviously, although its assumed we do. Pardon my gerneralities, its there to obtain a certain desired response and effect.

Lunatic

My first impression was that not all Native Americans have a same culture. Some were stationary, some were mobile, some fished and some hunted, some farmed, some were war-like and others were somewhat more peaceful.
The Zuni Native Americans are hands down the best Native American tribe that ever existed.
soul_less_human
My first impression was that not all Native Americans have a same culture. Some were stationary, some were mobile, some fished and some hunted, some farmed, some were war-like and others were somewhat more peaceful.

I think it's funny, in a very sad and terrible way, that when you're talking about Native American culture you refer to past Native American's and not modern ones. Not that I'm trying to mean to you, I just find it pretty interesting. cat_sweatdrop

(I only mention this because I feel a lot of Native American representation in any form of media is predominately representing past Native Americans, even inaccurately. And we never really see any modern representation. So it feels kind of funny to me when people refer to Native Americans as a past thing. You know? surprised )

Lunatic

Ms Ragnarok
soul_less_human

I think it's funny, in a very sad and terrible way, that when you're talking about Native American culture you refer to past Native American's and not modern ones. Not that I'm trying to mean to you, I just find it pretty interesting. cat_sweatdrop

(I only mention this because I feel a lot of Native American representation in any form of media is predominately representing past Native Americans, even inaccurately. And we never really see any modern representation. So it feels kind of funny to me when people refer to Native Americans as a past thing. You know? surprised )

I don't know anything about modern native americans, so how can I comment on it? I'm a reclusive shut-in who largely only learned from other cultures through history textbooks. I'm behind in modernism for all cultures, basically. emo

But yes, you have a valuable point.
Think it's to bad what happened to them. Bu hey seem whiney people that are stuck in the past.
Indifferent. They were just another group of societies.
soul_less_human
I don't know anything about modern Native Americans...

Majority of them live on reservations, are dirt poor as ********, most abuse drugs and alcohol, and most Native American women are beaten and raped.

Edit: Also, high suicide rate.
Ms Ragnarok
soul_less_human

Only modern representation I see is military.
princess_pillow
Think it's to bad what happened to them. Bu hey seem whiney people that are stuck in the past.

They're still being oppressed.
The Living Force
Ms Ragnarok
soul_less_human

All thanks to Nat Geo! stare
soul_less_human
Ms Ragnarok
soul_less_human

I don't know anything about modern native americans, so how can I comment on it? I'm a reclusive shut-in who largely only learned from other cultures through history textbooks. I'm behind in modernism for all cultures, basically. emo

But yes, you have a valuable point.

I wasn't trying to be mean, I just wanted to point it out. cat_gonk cat_blaugh I don't know much about any modern Native American cultures either. I only have two Native American friends, one's Navajo and the other's Goshute. The first one isn't really involved in the Navajo culture, and all I really know is that I can't get her mom any owl related things because owls are a bad deal or something. cat_xp And me and the other don't really talk about his culture but he's very involved in it. cat_sweatdrop Sometimes I feel rude randomly asking people things about their cultures though... cat_gonk
The Living Force
Ms Ragnarok
soul_less_human

I'm not too into military related things, so it's very likely I haven't really come across any of those. Still not anywhere near an okay amount of representation. cat_xp (I acknowledge that I haven't seen these but that still feels really stereotypy to me. cat_sweatdrop )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff