Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bogotanian
low iq 111
Bogotanian
low iq 111
Bogotanian
low iq 111

What university president could have gotten away with saying something like “We need to make our school less black/asian/latino etc” ?

maybe one in a place in the world with racism against whites

I don't know if you knew this, but people who aren't white can be racist. Yeah, pretty shocking it makes no sense at all.

i pretty much said that..idk why you felt compelled to point that out but okay

That comment insinuated that racism against whites doesn't exist in this country

you just insinuated this country doesn't exist in the world

?

Ok your comment insinuated that racism against whites doesn't exist in the USA

To many on the left, racism against whites doesn't exist. Things like polar bear hunting and such don't matter, and they choose to ignore the reality that modern racism knows no skintone.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kaltros
Sparkykid3000

My my my, you must be VERY eager to turn this into an issue aren't you? I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that the school he works for has an overwhelming white majority. If that is the case, if the school were to accept/hire more blacks, asians, etc. then the school would become less white at least as far as percentages are concerned. This is not a bad thing no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Why?

Because having a diverse community provides a richer college experience (for those who are interested that is). It also makes the school more appealing to students with different backgrounds looking for colleges.

Kaltros
Sparkykid3000

If a school with a black majority wanted to become "less black" I'd be fine with that too.

And if the school did not want to become less black? And the school's president came out and said that? How would you feel then?

I'd feel the same. I assume when you say the school you're talking about the students. The student's opinion on who can come to the school is irrelevant. No one's going to force them (or at least no one should force them) to hang out with people of other races. As I said before, diversity is for those of us who want it.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
We already knew what he was trying to say (have less bias against hiring/ enrolling minorities), he just phrased it badly and the op leaped on it in an attempt at manipulation.

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
WWU is 76.2% white, while the state of Washington is 77.3% white. That seems like it is a pretty fair representation of the community, I don't see why the school would need to become less white. The group that is over represented seems to be Hispanic/Latinos. So really he should be saying the school needs to be less brown. (I would like to see him say this without getting fired.)

In most schools around the country Asians are overrepresented. And for arguably good reasons, they have the highest test scores. But is this fair? Is it fair that one group is over represented because they have higher scores? Should we be saying schools across the nation need to be less Yellow? We really should as Suey Park on this.

And what about colleges like Meharry and Howard. Why is no one saying they need to put some cream in their coffee? They have some of the lowest requirements in the country and actively decline students based on ethnicity. Does this racism need to stop?

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kaltros

Richer in what way? And why is that necessarily better? I thought college was about getting a good education, not 'rich experience'. There must be cheaper ways to get rich experiences than going to college.

Culturally rich. For example, at the university I attend, there are many events with certain cultural themes. Members of those groups usually throw huge parties, cook-outs, social meetings, etc. It's a very fun way to learn about different folks from around the globe. College is more than just learning about a particular subject. Networking is also important, and when you have a vast range of individuals in one place it makes it easier to form the right connections to people. Plus, there's nothing wrong with throwing an Arabian culture festival on the weekend. Might as well have a good time while at college. wink

Kaltros
Sparkykid3000

It also makes the school more appealing to students with different backgrounds looking for colleges.

And why is that necessary?

A university is a business. That being said, it should be their goal to attract students (customers) to there campus. Having a diverse student body, to me at least, looks more interesting than one that isn't diverse because I like meeting all sorts of people. Sure I could travel to foreign countries to achieve that, but I don't have that kind of money. Maybe someday. But for now I and many others want to meet others while pursuing our education.

Kaltros
Sparkykid3000

I'd feel the same. I assume when you say the school you're talking about the students. The student's opinion on who can come to the school is irrelevant. No one's going to force them (or at least no one should force them) to hang out with people of other races. As I said before, diversity is for those of us who want it.

So what if the President chose diversity when not all the students at the school want it? Is that a bad thing?

You see, here's the thing. I don't know of anyone who is against diversity on campus. I've met folks who don't care one way or another, but never anyone who said "Diversity should not be promoted at our school." So the case you're presenting doesn't even seem likely to me. How does promoting diversity bother/harm any of the students on campus? What's their motivation for opposing it?

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lambs and Lions
WWU is 76.2% white, while the state of Washington is 77.3% white. That seems like it is a pretty fair representation of the community, I don't see why the school would need to become less white. The group that is over represented seems to be Hispanic/Latinos. So really he should be saying the school needs to be less brown. (I would like to see him say this without getting fired.)

Unless WWU only admits students from Washington, your statistics are irrelevant here.

Lambs and Lions
In most schools around the country Asians are overrepresented. And for arguably good reasons, they have the highest test scores. But is this fair? Is it fair that one group is over represented because they have higher scores? Should we be saying schools across the nation need to be less Yellow? We really should as Suey Park on this.

Test scores aren't the only things colleges look at when considering who to admit.

Lambs and Lions
And what about colleges like Meharry and Howard. Why is no one saying they need to put some cream in their coffee? They have some of the lowest requirements in the country and actively decline students based on ethnicity. Does this racism need to stop?

I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly love cream in my coffee. xp

Familiar Friend

Bogotanian
low iq 111
Bogotanian
low iq 111
Bogotanian
low iq 111

What university president could have gotten away with saying something like “We need to make our school less black/asian/latino etc” ?

maybe one in a place in the world with racism against whites

I don't know if you knew this, but people who aren't white can be racist. Yeah, pretty shocking it makes no sense at all.

i pretty much said that..idk why you felt compelled to point that out but okay

That comment insinuated that racism against whites doesn't exist in this country

you just insinuated this country doesn't exist in the world

?

Ok your comment insinuated that racism against whites doesn't exist in the USA

> in a place in the world

could be anywhere outside of western washington

Familiar Friend

Lambs and Lions

thats students not staff

Girl-Crazy Bloodsucker

I swear the white people on this forum will overreact and cry about the stupidest things.

You guys give me such second hand embarrassment jesus christ
Kaltros
Here’s a video of the president’s remarks:

The university also put up a survey, with one of the questions asking

Quote:

Q3:
How do we make sure that in future years “we are not as white as we are today?"

http://www.wwu.edu/sixquestions/three.shtml

Discuss: Why does this man still have a job? What university president could have gotten away with saying something like “We need to make our school less black/asian/latino etc” ? If the question had referred to any other race, it would be a major scandal. Why hasn’t he already been fired for this? Is this another case of Democrat racism and hypocrisy? What's going on, here?

Why does this man still have a job?
Because he didn't do anything warranting termination of employment.

Plenty of other University presidents in the past have made comments expressing exactly those sentiments.

Is this another case of Democrat racism and hypocrisy?

No.

What's going on, here?

You are engaging in a bare-faced attempt to make something out to be more than what it is. A university president expressed sentiments that, if the school's racial makeup is the same as it presently is, then they would have failed in one of the universities' objective of racial diversity. This objective is the same at tons of other universities. That's it.

Quotable Fatcat

6,525 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
I personally have no problem with a college administrator making efforts to increase diversity. In many cases minorities are over-represented in the lower class. Lower class kids need an advocate in higher education to give them a fighting chance in our horribly socially immobile economy.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
So this administrator is wasting everyone's time by fretting over how diverse his faculty is? I thought the point of faculty is to teach students towards a given profession. I know that when I was sitting in History (enter triple number), I really could not be bothered with whether my professor fit some administrator's thinly veiled quota system...my main concern was whether or not my work would end with a Bachelor's degree. Not to mention, if said administrator had enough free time to waste on such nonsense, that is an administrator the school should not be employing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff