Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Phantom

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Riviera de la Mancha
I would love to converse with you, but if you are going to insist on typing with your special colored font, I cant continue because, in order to respond to you, I need to keep pressing the back button to check against your statements. This will be the last response I will be doing this with if you are going to insist on keeping your font effects.

1.) Of course second impact syndrome is an issue. Techniques to guard the face? Hands up at temple height, elbows in, chin tucked, punch with shoulder to chin. Get comfortable with punches being thrown at the face period. Get comfortable with parrying. Learn how to absorb impacts. Head movement. Not much else you can really do.

2.) Obviously there are vulnerable parts on the head to strike. Temple, back of the jaw, part of the lip just under the nose, the eyes, lower part of the skull.

Yeah, strikes can cause alot of damage, but, speaking from experience in facing both individual and multiple persons in the ring and on the street, the likelihood of getting the perfect kinds of hits to do that kind of serious organ/death damage is just not as likely as people might think, even with years of training. You just react- sometimes it works great, and sometimes it just lets your opponent or attacker know that you mean business and that, if this confrontation keeps going, they wont come out of it smelling like roses.

So, talking about the possibility of damage from certain strikes is nice and good to be aware of, but its kind of pointless to me to worry about that in the ring (because you are not trying to kill someone) or the street (because your main concern should be making the situation safe for you, not necessarily causing kidney damage). The recent "Karate Kid" movie put it the best; "Just hit him. Dont let him hit you back.".

Ok, because you're being very kind about this and making a reasonable request, I'll drop all my editing. I'll keep that in mind if we ever discuss anything in the future too.

I have found that your statement that "there's not much else you can do" is very true. Aside from the times I was knocked out without knowing I was even in a fight, there's been plenty of times where I tried utilizing the techniques taught to me from various instructors and found that a lot of it came down to chance. Which is one reason why a street fight I tend to be very uncomfortable with and stray from as best I can. I generally will let someone threaten me and even push me around until I retaliate. Even being hit isn't the worse part to me... It's the mannerism of everything as a total. Which I wish there was a simple formula for discernment instead of having to trust your judgement of the unknown.

The vulnerabilities of the human body is what intrigued me enough to start studying and training in various martial arts. Though I still don't think the sparring situation fully teaches the importance of reaction and clarity of thought, I did like how training in Krav Maga was principled in starter positions of being caught off guard. I used to complain with my partners that I didn't understand it's necessity at first but then I started to notice a difference in my ability to not think about what to do yet be able to perform with a fluidity that was like my ability to type without looking or thinking of the spelling of words. Of course, the practice helped when more techniques were introduced.. Since it's a natural ability for the brain to remember these things, I just thought it was strange that I carried that same principle into most of my training of anything else. Especially as I became more aware of certain spots of the body that I need to protect more than others.

I myself don't think much of killing a person in a fight. My aim is to incapacitate and even use force that's lethal if things escalate... But like a gun, I never brandish it unless I'm prepared to go all the way.
Though my main goal is just to get to a safety point and then get away. I'm not some heavy-weight throwing anything around so I never have learned to rely on intimidation. Most of my reliance is in surprise elements such as what burst speed can provide in strength or what agility can provide in articulation.

I never was trained formally in boxing but I have always noticed that despite what region you are talking about.. Boxing cultures emphasize on getting used to being hit. I was always told that I should spar with the idea of contact in mind, and not pulling punches unless I'm demonstrating a move to a submissive target.
I don't know how it equates to boxing but a common practice is developing hard-body combatives. Such as that from creating micro fractures in bone to harden or callouses over skin for the same reason. What's your experience of this?
[M.S.T]
Riviera de la Mancha
I would love to converse with you, but if you are going to insist on typing with your special colored font, I cant continue because, in order to respond to you, I need to keep pressing the back button to check against your statements. This will be the last response I will be doing this with if you are going to insist on keeping your font effects.

1.) Of course second impact syndrome is an issue. Techniques to guard the face? Hands up at temple height, elbows in, chin tucked, punch with shoulder to chin. Get comfortable with punches being thrown at the face period. Get comfortable with parrying. Learn how to absorb impacts. Head movement. Not much else you can really do.

2.) Obviously there are vulnerable parts on the head to strike. Temple, back of the jaw, part of the lip just under the nose, the eyes, lower part of the skull.

Yeah, strikes can cause alot of damage, but, speaking from experience in facing both individual and multiple persons in the ring and on the street, the likelihood of getting the perfect kinds of hits to do that kind of serious organ/death damage is just not as likely as people might think, even with years of training. You just react- sometimes it works great, and sometimes it just lets your opponent or attacker know that you mean business and that, if this confrontation keeps going, they wont come out of it smelling like roses.

So, talking about the possibility of damage from certain strikes is nice and good to be aware of, but its kind of pointless to me to worry about that in the ring (because you are not trying to kill someone) or the street (because your main concern should be making the situation safe for you, not necessarily causing kidney damage). The recent "Karate Kid" movie put it the best; "Just hit him. Dont let him hit you back.".

Ok, because you're being very kind about this and making a reasonable request, I'll drop all my editing. I'll keep that in mind if we ever discuss anything in the future too.

I have found that your statement that "there's not much else you can do" is very true. Aside from the times I was knocked out without knowing I was even in a fight, there's been plenty of times where I tried utilizing the techniques taught to me from various instructors and found that a lot of it came down to chance. Which is one reason why a street fight I tend to be very uncomfortable with and stray from as best I can. I generally will let someone threaten me and even push me around until I retaliate. Even being hit isn't the worse part to me... It's the mannerism of everything as a total. Which I wish there was a simple formula for discernment instead of having to trust your judgement of the unknown.

The vulnerabilities of the human body is what intrigued me enough to start studying and training in various martial arts. Though I still don't think the sparring situation fully teaches the importance of reaction and clarity of thought, I did like how training in Krav Maga was principled in starter positions of being caught off guard. I used to complain with my partners that I didn't understand it's necessity at first but then I started to notice a difference in my ability to not think about what to do yet be able to perform with a fluidity that was like my ability to type without looking or thinking of the spelling of words. Of course, the practice helped when more techniques were introduced.. Since it's a natural ability for the brain to remember these things, I just thought it was strange that I carried that same principle into most of my training of anything else. Especially as I became more aware of certain spots of the body that I need to protect more than others.

I myself don't think much of killing a person in a fight. My aim is to incapacitate and even use force that's lethal if things escalate... But like a gun, I never brandish it unless I'm prepared to go all the way.
Though my main goal is just to get to a safety point and then get away. I'm not some heavy-weight throwing anything around so I never have learned to rely on intimidation. Most of my reliance is in surprise elements such as what burst speed can provide in strength or what agility can provide in articulation.

I never was trained formally in boxing but I have always noticed that despite what region you are talking about.. Boxing cultures emphasize on getting used to being hit. I was always told that I should spar with the idea of contact in mind, and not pulling punches unless I'm demonstrating a move to a submissive target.
I don't know how it equates to boxing but a common practice is developing hard-body combatives. Such as that from creating micro fractures in bone to harden or callouses over skin for the same reason. What's your experience of this?

Thank you very much.

I dont try to incapacitate if its not needed. I try to react to the situation. If its serious, sure, incapacitate, but if its just some slob trying to look pro for his gal or an associate who is alittle tipsy, I see no reason to fly off the handle. Makes me look bad in the end.

I dont know if boxing cultures emphasize getting hit. All I know is its unrealistic to act like any style will always protect you, so its best to plan not just for the best but the worst as well. Contact is fine, so long as your partner can hang and knows you are playing for realzies. I dont let amateurs spar with contact in mind because most cant control themselves, so they end up hurting each other. Usually only after a year do I let them put some hustle behind the muscle.

Intentionally causing microfractures or callouses? I heard of it and seen it done. Know how to do it too. I am not against it though because your training should give you this. You shouldnt need to devote special time to making this happen. Plus, people tend to over-do both of them or do them incorrectly and end up seriously hurting themselves.

Quotable Phantom

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Thank you very much.

I dont try to incapacitate if its not needed. I try to react to the situation. If its serious, sure, incapacitate, but if its just some slob trying to look pro for his gal or an associate who is alittle tipsy, I see no reason to fly off the handle. Makes me look bad in the end.

I dont know if boxing cultures emphasize getting hit. All I know is its unrealistic to act like any style will always protect you, so its best to plan not just for the best but the worst as well. Contact is fine, so long as your partner can hang and knows you are playing for realzies. I dont let amateurs spar with contact in mind because most cant control themselves, so they end up hurting each other. Usually only after a year do I let them put some hustle behind the muscle.

Intentionally causing microfractures or callouses? I heard of it and seen it done. Know how to do it too. I am not against it though because your training should give you this. You shouldnt need to devote special time to making this happen. Plus, people tend to over-do both of them or do them incorrectly and end up seriously hurting themselves.

You make a good point.
Especially about styles. I've purposely switched up so that I don't become indoctrinated in any one style.. I don't like how you begin to over-specialize in certain scenarios that are productive only to that style and sometimes are just unrealistic to every-day occurrence.

I have noticed that generally my conscious goal isn't to incapacitate versus react. Though I know that I am trying to go for spots that are not safe for contact generally, like being struck in the solar plexus versus the throat... Or trying to hammer fist someone's clavical bone versus the bridge of their nose. Though a large part of it has to do with the same principle of why I'll crotch kick someone if they are trying to grab me instead of just trying to dodge.
Krav Maga training had that effect on me... Though my instructors insisted that I be more careful because my earnestness to do as much damage as possible was more of a legal risk than a necessity.

I got to admit though... Someone who is obviously drunk or not able to fight well, I don't go all out for. Those are generally the people I don't mind sucking up my pride for and getting hit by. Self defense, in my opinion at least, is a matter of keeping from being maimed or killed.. Not a ego match to see who can brawl the best.
Which is why I generally like to watch competitive fighting sports but don't ever like to participate myself. Though with the Ninjutsu, it is taught by the high-Dan grades that it's not an art for sports competition. The techniques they teach are regarded as last-resort methods and are poised to disarm/disable and kill. The weapons handling is the pinnacle of this mentality.. And the one thing I have a trouble grasping a need for despite the earnestness of instructors wanting to teach it.

Ironically the Krav Maga instructions were about the contact and practice in high-tense mannerisms. I was always told that the best way to learn to react is to learn in a situation where you aren't allowed time to think are poised against someone in a manner that demands you not think yet somehow manage to react as if you knew exactly what was going on.
Though the full-contact exercises were always done with padding on with a sparing partner, I generally didn't see how I was to gain the resilience needed for being hit with bare-knuckles like I learned training on a wood dummy and in gravel.
Ironically, I've hurt myself much more through training than I ever have been hurt by a real fight. And I've yet to have to face a person with a weapon who isn't willing to back down from my unwillingness to fight.

Lonely Gaian

5,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Ugh...Just respect the fact that they're doing something with their lives instead of sitting around posting random crap, insulting people.
psychoprincess16
Ugh...Just respect the fact that they're doing something with their lives instead of sitting around posting random crap, insulting people.

Technically that's also doing something with a life.
Well, it is suggestive, but I think that the level of brutality remains average. Regardless, if that can be allowed, then I don't see why underground fights can't be. To the death.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Culdra
Well, it is suggestive, but I think that the level of brutality remains average. Regardless, if that can be allowed, then I don't see why underground fights can't be. To the death.

Besides the massive differences?

MMA fights are officially sanctioned, with full list of rules (more than you'd honestly believe), and full medical staff on hand.

Underground cage-fights have almost none of these.

It only APPEARS to be the same thing, to the untrained eye.
ground fighting brings people closer together in that loving sense of community and brotherly love.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Vegetarian Wolf
User Image

confused Seriously, this is exactly what I thought the first time I saw UFC on TV.

shorty-shorts! the difference is shorty-shorts.

also, hobo gloves and properly dressed twisted ankles ( which, since both of them seem to have twisted ankles, might explain why they aren't supporting their weight on their feet. )

do I wins the prize?
black_wing_angel
Culdra

MMA fights are officially sanctioned, with full list of rules (more than you'd honestly believe), and full medical staff on hand.

You should have questioned why I said that the level of violence from UFC was average, because that's due to what you've listed. I suggested underground fights, because of those reasons.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Culdra
black_wing_angel
Culdra

You should have questioned why I said that the level of violence from UFC was average, because that's due to what you've listed. I suggested underground fights, because of those reasons.

Why would you suggest underground fights?
black_wing_angel
Culdra
black_wing_angel
Culdra

Underground fights ARENT GAY
Underground fights dont have an annoying announcer (or 2)
Underground fights arent filled to the rim with advertisements and stupid s**t
Underground fights dont have stupid rules

I know what your gonna say. "BUT A MAJORITY OF REAL STREET FIGHTS END UP ON THE GROUND!"
At least its not on purpose, like homosex UFC fights.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Vegetarian Wolf
black_wing_angel
Culdra
black_wing_angel
Culdra

Underground fights ARENT GAY

Neither are MMA fights.

Quote:
Underground fights dont have an annoying announcer (or 2)

What's wrong with Bruce Buffer? He's got a lot of talent, and really helps to get the audience fired up.

Quote:
Underground fights arent filled to the rim with advertisements and stupid s**t

Those advertisments translate into higher pay for the fighters, at lower costs to the spectators. That's how marketing works.

Quote:
Underground fights dont have stupid rules

They also don't have genuine safety regulations, which help to ensure against serious injury and potential fatality, or genuine rules that are meant to offer the highest quality from a match. What's the value in a match, if it ends in 2 seconds, because one guy kicks the other in the balls, and then headbutts his nose? That's not quality. That's just cheap bullshit.

Quote:
I know what your gonna say. "BUT A MAJORITY OF REAL STREET FIGHTS END UP ON THE GROUND!"
At least its not on purpose,

Uh, yes...on purpose. It's a genuine offense strategy that has worked for thousands of years. And it's not changing, anytime soon.

Quote:
like homosex UFC fights.

So, in reality, it's just because you want to veil yourself behind this image of being "edgy", even though you've never been in a fight in your life. Not even on the playground at school. And you know nothing about fighting, except what a punch and a kick are.

Good to know.

Enduring Elder

14,675 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
Xiam
This is why I want to learn a martial art that doesn't require getting up close to an opponent like that.

You're gonna eventually find yourself in some kind of bind no matter what form of self defense you learn. Might as well be a sniper or learn the ways of the force and be a jedi.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Skye River
Xiam
This is why I want to learn a martial art that doesn't require getting up close to an opponent like that.

You're gonna eventually find yourself in some kind of bind no matter what form of self defense you learn. Might as well be a sniper or learn the ways of the force and be a jedi.

OHOHO, HOW KIND OF YOU TO SUGGEST THAT.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces