• Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Tactical Leg Sweep
Xiam
Tactical Leg Sweep

Yes, we all know how well punches, kicks and dodges worked against "grapples" and "dry humping". Just look at how well those strikers did in the early UFCs. Oh wait ..

All I gotta do there is learn how to get out of it, don't I? Not necessarily learn how to actually grope someone. stare

Learning "how to get out of it" would entail .. learning it. Again, if you're that insecure with your sexuality that contact with another male makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you ought not to learn martial arts.

Actually, I'm uncomfortable with contact with anyone, but knowing how to act in a situation will ensure that I can manage such a situation.

And how you think you can learn to manage a situation where, say, someone has tackled you to the ground and is on top of you like the guy in the picture, without putting yourself into that situation is beyond me.

I think you're missing the point of my original statement...
Xiam
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Tactical Leg Sweep
Xiam
Tactical Leg Sweep

Yes, we all know how well punches, kicks and dodges worked against "grapples" and "dry humping". Just look at how well those strikers did in the early UFCs. Oh wait ..

All I gotta do there is learn how to get out of it, don't I? Not necessarily learn how to actually grope someone. stare

Learning "how to get out of it" would entail .. learning it. Again, if you're that insecure with your sexuality that contact with another male makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you ought not to learn martial arts.

Actually, I'm uncomfortable with contact with anyone, but knowing how to act in a situation will ensure that I can manage such a situation.

And how you think you can learn to manage a situation where, say, someone has tackled you to the ground and is on top of you like the guy in the picture, without putting yourself into that situation is beyond me.

If I have, then restate it for me, because, as far as I can tell, your point was that you think its possible to learn how to defend against a situation without actually putting yourself into a similar situation by using a form of self-defense that is not tailored to address the situation you wanted to guard against.

I am a martial arts instructor, and I am the first to admit that one of my biggest personal weaknesses is I have never studied a grappling art. Sure, I know some counters to take-downs (which I only learned by getting into situations where guys were tackling me), but if someone should get me down, I got nothing. And let me tell you: no style will make you superman. If you are serious about self-defense, you need to learn what to do in any situation, and not rely on perfect performance in all other areas.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Tactical Leg Sweep

If I have, then restate it for me, because, as far as I can tell, your point was that you think its possible to learn how to defend against a situation without actually putting yourself into a similar situation by using a form of self-defense that is not tailored to address the situation you wanted to guard against.

I am a martial arts instructor, and I am the first to admit that one of my biggest personal weaknesses is I have never studied a grappling art. Sure, I know some counters to take-downs (which I only learned by getting into situations where guys were tackling me), but if someone should get me down, I got nothing. And let me tell you: no style will make you superman. If you are serious about self-defense, you need to learn what to do in any situation, and not rely on perfect performance in all other areas.

Yeah, that wasn't the point of my original statement. My point was that if I'm going to get in a fight, I'm not going to resort to grabbing at them and placing myself in such an awkward position.

Alternatively, that I would rather not participate in a sport that takes that route.
Wait- Are you saying that we should make all men where clothes to prevent homosexuality?
If you don't want to to be the guy who gets raped by the rowdy gay BJJ enthusiast you better learn you some BJJ.
Xiam
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Tactical Leg Sweep

Yeah, that wasn't the point of my original statement. My point was that if I'm going to get in a fight, I'm not going to resort to grabbing at them and placing myself in such an awkward position.

Alternatively, that I would rather not participate in a sport that takes that route.

See, that's the funny thing about fights; what you want doesnt always dictate what happens. The fight dictates what happens. Whether you want to grab someone or not has no bearing on whether your opponent or mugger wants to grab you or put you into an awkward situation. And, like I said, unless you got an 'S' on your chest, if you are serious about self-defense, you need to learn how to work in awkward situations to get out of them.

Alternatively, good luck finding any sport that doesnt have within it homo-eroticism for those looking to find it. Boxing? Two sweaty muscular dudes in silk shorts hugging on each other. Wrestling? Obvious. Basketball? Sweaty dudes can fall on you or, in the process of shooting, rub their junk in your face, depending on how tall you are in relation to how high they jump. Football? See wrestling and add lots of butt-slapping. And with all sports, never mind the male showers.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Xiam
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam
Riviera de la Mancha
Xiam

Too bad you don't get to make that call. Your opponent is trying to hurt you. He doesn't care one damn bit about your sexual insecurity. In fact, that's all the more reason to do such things. Hell, on that note ALONE, if you lost, you can expect to be tea-bagged.

So my advice to you? Either get over your insecurity complex, or never, and I mean ******** NEVER get into any fight.

Quote:

So...you have no intention of ever being an athlete. Fair enough.

Shameless Mystic

Congratulations. You aren't the first one to think that.

Shameless Mystic

shoeless joe
If you don't want to to be the guy who gets raped by the rowdy gay BJJ enthusiast you better learn you some BJJ.
Alternatively, you could elbow/knee/punch/knife them in the face/throat/junk instead of trying to play their game. You'd be surprised how often that works.

Oh wait, I forgot, you can't do that in UFC... because UFC isn't fighting.
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe
Alternatively, you could elbow/knee/punch/knife them in the face/throat/junk instead of trying to play their game. You'd be surprised how often that works.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth... or get their arm snapped.

Shameless Mystic

shoeless joe
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth... or get their arm snapped.
Getting in a BJJ grab means you, the victim, did something horribly, horribly stupid to let that happen. You literally have to give it to them for it to happen.
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe

Getting in a BJJ grab means you, the victim, did something horribly, horribly stupid to let that happen. You literally have to give it to them for it to happen.

Did you think I'd respond favorably to even more ******** stupid monday morning quarterbacking?
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe

Other than knifing someone, you can elbow, knee, or punch someone in the face, throat, or junk (junk and throat if you are sneaky about it. In the ring, both happen with some frequency). Though, short of actual life and death, you cant even really knife someone in the real world either without risking some repercussions.

The UFC is as much fighting as boxing and as Tae Kwon Do and as much as anything else. What you mean to say is that its not mimicking self-defense scenarios, which it was never intended to.
shoeless joe
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe

Did you think I'd respond favorably to even more ******** stupid monday morning quarterbacking?

Amen to that.

Shameless Mystic

Riviera de la Mancha
False Dichotomy
shoeless joe

Other than knifing someone, you can elbow, knee, or punch someone in the face, throat, or junk (junk and throat if you are sneaky about it. In the ring, both happen with some frequency). Though, short of actual life and death, you cant even really knife someone in the real world either without risking some repercussions.

The UFC is as much fighting as boxing and as Tae Kwon Do and as much as anything else. What you mean to say is that its not mimicking self-defense scenarios, which it was never intended to.
It's exhibition hugging, tae kwon do is impractical, and I consider any fight for sport (not blood sport...) to not be fighting.

Is UFC fighting? No. It's a game, and not only are the techniques used in it impractical in a self-defense situation (and similarly, techniques used in self defense being illegal in sport), but the majority of them will get you killed if the person has any idea how to use a knife.

So no, they aren't the same, and they don't translate. They don't look the same, they have no similar philosophy, they don't have a remotely similar skillset, and I really can't find a convincing parallel between them that wouldn't take me less time to shoot down than it would to think of.

UFC is about as close to martial arts as football is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff