Welcome to Gaia! ::

A friend of mine who works at a day care was recently informed that "time outs" are no longer being administered. Apparently, making some snot nosed little s**t stand in a corner for 5 minutes after he stabbed another kid with a fork will "psychologically damage" him and "impair social skills".

So, you can't yell at him (again, psychologically damaging), you can't give him a time out, and HEAVEN FORBID you spank his spoiled a**. Your last line of defense is as follows:

"Now, Johnny, that wasn't very nice! How would YOU feel if somebody stabbed YOUR eye out with a crayon? You should say you're sorry to Suzie."

I'll bet you anything that in a month or two, some pompous "child psychologist" with a silver spoon up his a** will make an article about how making children apologize and feel guilty for their actions will give them a shitload of mental disorders.

So, in all honesty, it's getting to the point where all forms of discipline are considered "psychologically damaging". When are we going to draw the line on this stuff?
Fiddelysquat
A friend of mine who works at a day care was recently informed that "time outs" are no longer being administered. Apparently, making some snot nosed little s**t stand in a corner for 5 minutes after he stabbed another kid with a fork will "psychologically damage" him and "impair social skills".

So, you can't yell at him (again, psychologically damaging), you can't give him a time out, and HEAVEN FORBID you spank his spoiled a**. Your last line of defense is as follows:

"Now, Johnny, that wasn't very nice! How would YOU feel if somebody stabbed YOUR eye out with a crayon? You should say you're sorry to Suzie."

I'll bet you anything that in a month or two, some pompous "child psychologist" with a silver spoon up his a** will make an article about how making children apologize and feel guilty for their actions will give them a shitload of mental disorders.

So, in all honesty, it's getting to the point where all forms of discipline are considered "psychologically damaging". When are we going to draw the line on this stuff?

. . . Wow. . . So much to respond to.

Anyway. Firstly, social isolation is one of the most psychological damaging things a parent can do. That is why "the hole" in prison works well enough. But that's the point. You want to -punish- the kid, that's why you do it. Time out isn't a TRUE isolation, so it'll just hurt their pride a bit, maybe.

Secondly...
Quote:
"child psychologist"

Do you not believe in psychology? If so, I "gr" at you. Seeing as how my field of study is going to be psychology.
no kidding. when i was little i had a big wooden paddle with dimples in it to catch the air and make it sting. and i go time outs and i got yelled at. i even had the kitchen table flipped in front of me for talking at the dinner table once... it was about the only thing that was gonna make me stop. I wouldnt say any of that impared me really...
honestly, who gives a s**t if it's "psychologically damaging". Had my mom not left a big red mark on my butt when I got out of line then I'd probably still be a little s**t. sweatdrop (and I still attribute any and all brain damage to either when I fell out of a tree, my brother knocked me off the couch on to hard wood floor[repeatedly], my brother sprayed me with roach spay, I got locked in the closed, buried under dish towels, or catapulted off my parents water bed, all before I turned 5 xp [wow, I have such a loving family lol sweatdrop ])
Lebbon

Quote:
"child psychologist"

Do you not believe in psychology? If so, I "gr" at you. Seeing as how my field of study is going to be psychology.

I believe in psychology well enough, but those morons who publish their findings on websites and try to convince parents that "IF YOUR CHILD KEEPS A DIARY THEY ARE ANTISOCIAL" and all that crap...
You want to know what is psychologically damaging? A parent that doesn't care. A parent that will yell at you for not doing the dishes but doesn't care about how you do in school.

A parent that will punish sensably, but sternly is a blessing. It's much better then a child trying to raise themselves. A child that is given everything they want will be living with the parent forever or will be smacked upside the head by reality once they leave.
Fiddelysquat
Lebbon

Quote:
"child psychologist"

I believe in psychology well enough, but those morons who publish their findings on websites and try to convince parents that "IF YOUR CHILD KEEPS A DIARY THEY ARE ANTISOCIAL" and all that crap...

I dislike them as well. They're only doing it for the money, thusly conforming and ditching perhaps everything they've learned in their study.
Psychologists seem to not realize that there are tons of kids who were given time outs and came out fine.
<i>Not</i> punishing your kid is what will give them psychological issues. Probably some kind of superiority complex or something.
^^; Most young parents don't care about disciplining their children. I work as a kindergarten teacher's aide for Japanese Saturday school, and I've noticed that most of the mothers ignore their kid when s/he is doing something wrong. For example, a child was overflowing the water fountain by sealing the holes with his hands splayed out, and his mother took one casual glance at him and looked away. Then there are those neighborhood brats who cut up other people's mail, break lawn sprinklers, leave outdoor faucets that don't belong to them running...and when you ask their parents to talk to them, they vehemently deny everything.
Maki-chan
Psychologists seem to not realize that there are tons of kids who were given time outs and came out fine.
<i>Not</i> punishing your kid is what will give them psychological issues. Probably some kind of superiority complex or something.

Correct, for the most part. However, they get an inferiority complex if you punish too harshly in the early years.

Try to equal out punishment/rewards the first 6 years of life of the infant, then when he/she grows up, they will have that stuck in them and they will be alright.
Lebbon
Maki-chan

Correct, for the most part. However, they get an inferiority complex if you punish too harshly in the early years.

Try to equal out punishment/rewards the first 6 years of life of the infant, then when he/she grows up, they will have that stuck in them and they will be alright.

Yes, anything older than 6 and they'll start to develop animosity towards the punisher. ^^
Panaceradio
^^; Most young parents don't care about disciplining their children. I work as a kindergarten teacher's aide for Japanese Saturday school, and I've noticed that most of the mothers ignore their kid when s/he is doing something wrong. For example, a child was overflowing the water fountain by sealing the holes with his hands splayed out, and his mother took one casual glance at him and looked away. Then there are those neighborhood brats who cut up other people's mail, break lawn sprinklers, leave outdoor faucets that don't belong to them running...and when you ask their parents to talk to them, they vehemently deny everything.
oh yes, the parents who think their kids can do no wrong, i think THEY have psychological problems, they have to get off their high horse and realize their kids are little shits
Whoever came up with that is so damn full of it. An assumption like that has got to have been made on behalf of one (count 'em, one) kid who has some funky psychological disorder and got all teary just because he couldn't take it. Now every kid gets to be spoiled rotten just in case they have some rare mind-job? Not on my watch, if I ever have kids. I hope that doesn't last.
I think that parents should have to go to a parenting school before they are allowed to have kids... I mean come on bringing up a kid isnt some video game that you can just hit the reset button on. Also, its a bit harder than just living your life cuz you shape and sculpt this kids whole life. Depending on how good of a parent you are is how well this kid will do in life. Dead beat parents are what I attribute to most of the worlds problems today. Because if they had raised their kids correctly in the first place we wouldnt have people running around killing themselvs, others, or the what not.
Panaceradio
Lebbon
Maki-chan

Yes, anything older than 6 and they'll start to develop animosity towards the punisher. ^^

Well, yes, that, and most of the brain is done forming at age 6, thusly how they are acting then, is harder to change, until puberty.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff