Welcome to Gaia! ::

Many people will say it's another pagan holiday adapted by the Catholic to make converts(the pagan being Cupid), just like the Christmas Day. But is it? Can people just use the day to show affection to someone they love? Like in the second week of February the birds begin to mate. Since the Saint Valentines were actually two people who weren't romantically involved. Even the Bible is against using pagan practices to worship God.

But to what degree should a Christian adapt?
For one Catholic to any Christian/Catholic/Protestant/etc.:

You are being a dummy to think Valentine's Day is religious or pagan anymore. Live in modernity, not in the 17th century for God's sake.
Riviera de la Mancha

You are being a dummy to think Valentine's Day is religious or pagan anymore. Live in modernity, not in the 17th century for God's sake.

Beware, this is one of Satan's many cunning ways to fool the world..

But the real question hasn't been answered....

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day

Just in case you wanted a Wikipedia article.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Tacit Effigy
Riviera de la Mancha

Beware, this is one of Satan's many cunning ways to fool the world.

What, to make us think we live in a modern, rational world, away from primitive 17th century superstitions? xp
Xiam
Tacit Effigy
Riviera de la Mancha

What, to make us think we live in a modern, rational world, away from primitive 17th century superstitions? xp

I don't see how being gay is being rational...

I don't see how sexing around is being rational...(primitive instincts, ok, but rational?)

I don't see how TVs, games ect promoting violence, murder and rape is being rational.

Aged Lunatic

Tacit Effigy

It's simple; men don't sexually arouse me. Women do. Pretty simple.

Quote:
I don't see how TVs, games ect promoting violence, murder and rape is being rational.

Our culture has always promoted violence. Where have you been the last few hundred years?

And rape? Lay that at Japan's doorstep, sex is still taboo in society.
Blood Valkyrie

Wiki... Seriously?...

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Tacit Effigy
Blood Valkyrie

Wiki... Seriously?...

You can tell when wikipedia is right when it has decent sources to back s**t up.
GunsmithKitten
Tacit Effigy

Quote:

Our culture has always promoted violence. Where have you been the last few hundred years?

Do you seriously know how to read?

Aged Lunatic

Tacit Effigy
GunsmithKitten
Tacit Effigy

Quote:

Do you seriously know how to read?

If I don't, my typing skills must be downright baffling....
I'm christian and I don't give a damn about various holidays celebrated by various religions and so forth.

But then I try to follow the teachings of Jesus, not other christians. That whole love and accept thing is pretty effective in most cases.

Also, I like valentines day.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
But Valentine's Day is not linked to any pagan holiday...

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Tacit Effigy
Xiam
Tacit Effigy
Riviera de la Mancha

I don't see how sexing around is being rational...(primitive instincts, ok, but rational?)

Deviating for a moment - humanity has always been a blend of rationality and irrationality. That's just who we are. We're stupid, emotional creatures who like to doll ourselves up as civilized beings.

But you can't possibly say that we were better off then than we are now. For one thing, [******** witches. A perfect sign of irrational, panicky bullshit.

I'm not saying we don't still have that - your question of whether being gay is rational is a perfect example. Of course it's not. Nothing to do with love is rational, it's all mild insanity. I'm in love with a girl who is with someone else, and is miles away, and I really probably have absolutely no shot with her, but you know what? I still think of her, a lot. It's unhealthy. It's not rational. But so help me, it still happens to me.

And yet I still put it out of my mind and try to greet the world with a rational mind. I don't let it color my feelings on subject matter that it shouldn't be involved with. Like... say...

"Oh no, there are boys who like boys and women who like women! That's immoral!"
"Oh no, there are people who don't want to bring another life into this already overpopulated world, where they won't be able to get the right care they need! That's immoral!"
"Oh no, there are people doing what I just said because it will [******** kill them! That's immoral!"
"Oh no, people think the earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around! They think our world is round! They think we evolved from apes! They think there wasn't a global flood that killed everything because there's 'no evidence' for it, and that there's no magical man living in the sky! THAT'S IMMORAL!"

Now, I don't mind religion. Hell, I don't even mind Christianity - in small doses. But that whole superstitious bullshit that can't accept what we've learned or changed in the intervening time since the Bible was actually written, and how there are honestly some Protestants out there who think Catholicism isn't even Christianity... that's all ******** insane.

You know what was "rational" in the 17th century? Slavery. Just good business, right? And it's in the Bible, after all!

Hell, I made this a religious thing, sorry. Just... holy ******** s**t, when I responded I thought you were actually joking about Satan.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff