Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

logan the god of candy
i consider most tattoos to be imperfect, failed attempts at art. i understand that people are satisfied with the work the get done, but i don't understand why such mediocrity supplies satisfaction. i believe that unless one understands satisfaction with something so undeserving that they cannot properly believe the true intentions of such mutilation.

my body is perfect as is, why should i alter it? and with something inferior to the original? it's obviously an upgrade to the person who gets it, but from an outside perspective, it's not comprehended as a positive and intelligent decision.

ignorance.

that clip of picard and data is either from the episode with the alien girl data is contacting, or when data makes lal. tell me if i'm wrong. lol data is hilarious

Tattoos are personal, and subjective. Most people don't get tattoos caring about what other people think (although they should because some are really distasteful, but what can you do about it? To each their own) people get tattoos for themselves. I think it's hard for someone who's never been in such a situation to really understand.

I mean I don't mean to be personal, but for me, being an art student and studying symbolism, after my mother passed away my life changed. She was my single mother, and while she was alive, I took her for granted. After she died and I was alone, I struggled with grief and I was emotionally and socially unstable.
I didn't have many friends, and my remaining family was strict and did not approve of me grieving for her. I moved in with my estranged father who wouldn't allow me to cry for her.

I had to commemorate her somehow, so I decided to get a tattoo. Historically the ace symbolizes alternate worlds of death and life, and symbolizes new perspectives. I got an ace with her initials underneath it.

It was surprisingly cathartic.

I mean I don't know if that story did much to help, but I couldn't care less what other people think of my tattoo. It was for me.

I understand in some cultures people regard the body as perfect already, but no one is perfect anyhow. Society progresses and self expression and body art is becoming increasingly popular, and with reason. I mean yes, there is some terrible tattoo art but there's also some really high quality and expensive tattoo art out there as well.
duldol v3

That sounds really racist.
I'm sorry I used to stay in government housing, as an Asian American. Not all black guys are thieves. I mean yeah to some extent you can think you're protecting yourself by being prejudiced but you can also just be becoming sheltered and ignorant..and offensive.

I'm just knocking blows to leftist mentality any time I get a chance.
You would take my previous statement out of context and get "all black guys are thieves" wouldn't you? Also it is not prejudice because being prejudice would imply not using reason or experience and the opinions that I am deriving are derived precisely from reason and experience.

Newbie Noob

Agent Borealis
duldol v3

That sounds really racist.
I'm sorry I used to stay in government housing, as an Asian American. Not all black guys are thieves. I mean yeah to some extent you can think you're protecting yourself by being prejudiced but you can also just be becoming sheltered and ignorant..and offensive.

I'm just knocking blows to leftist mentality any time I get a chance.
You would take my previous statement out of context and get "all black guys are thieves" wouldn't you? Also it is not prejudice because being prejudice would imply not using reason or experience and the opinions that I am deriving are derived precisely from reason and experience.

You have a point there, I apologize I read over your post too fast. I assumed you were attacking
people with tattoos and you were calling the action of getting a tattoo a poorly deduced conclusion.

Your post was:
"Perhaps those examples are poorly deduced conclusions to an observed pattern. The general idea still stands though. I wouldn't call it prejudice. "

Based on my own pattern recognition for example, I would be quite afraid of walking past a group of young guys on a street corner. I would watch my things in the presence of most black people (in my area) because I've been robbed by suspicious looking black guys before."

And if you wouldn't mind just quoting, instead of deleting your previous post and just having my response text because I think it's somewhat important to have an easily accessible record of what we've been saying. Thanks
duldol v3

And if you wouldn't mind just quoting, instead of deleting your previous post and just having my response text because I think it's somewhat important to have an easily accessible record of what we've been saying. Thanks

I haven't deleted any of my previous posts. If you want to respond to something specific, please do because I haven't deleted anything.
This kind of makes me think of Maria José:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

she has tattoos, piercings, implants, she is the most modified woman in the world. She's a lawyer. She's was abused in her first marriage and not only uses her body modification as therapy and to tell her story in pictures, but all proceeds from events she attends goes to raising awareness about domestic abuse. Her whole story is really amazing and people probably look at her oddly as much as people are fascinated by her. But overall she doesn't do it for anyone but herself, so she can feel strong as a person.

Newbie Noob

ChiyoSuzaku
This kind of makes me think of Maria José:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

she has tattoos, piercings, implants, she is the most modified woman in the world. She's a lawyer. She's was abused in her first marriage and not only uses her body modification as therapy and to tell her story in pictures, but all proceeds from events she attends goes to raising awareness about domestic abuse. Her whole story is really amazing and people probably look at her oddly as much as people are fascinated by her. But overall she doesn't do it for anyone but herself, so she can feel strong as a person.

I know!!! You read my mind because I actually thought about her too. I became really enthralled and intrigued by why she wanted to get so much body modification. She was the first person to actually help me understand why she did it.

She's really a nice and very smart lady.

Newbie Noob

Agent Borealis
duldol v3

I haven't deleted any of my previous posts. If you want to respond to something specific, please do because I haven't deleted anything.

Our of curiosity why do you just respond to parts of my post?
I have a qualm about that because, Idk. I'm not a fan of when people just respond to a certain part of my post.
duldol v3

I have a qualm about that because, Idk. I'm not a fan of when people just respond to a certain part of my post.

I respond to things that I think require a response. That might be why you think I'm "deleting" posts but I'm not, I'm quoting and responding to certain posts but the originals are all still there.
Sir Fharlanghn
Because there is a tendency that people with tattoos are not as well off as a person without tattoos. There is many exceptions though.

Source for said tendency please. While there is a lot of jokes about being unable to make good money with tattoos it had not really been proven in any way, shape or form that I've seen.

Agent Borealis
If the majority of people with tattoos that the average person comes across is a trouble maker then its just the individual being intelligent. They are picking up on a pattern and then deducing the likely outcome. Sure they MIGHT be wrong but based on previous evidence they are more likely to be correct.

That is called anecdotal evidence and has no true scientific basis and is not true evidence. It is prejudice honestly but that doesn't mean it's not a normal human response.

I actually don't know anyone with a tattoo who is a troublemaker honestly.

Newbie Noob

Agent Borealis
duldol v3

I respond to things that I think require a response. That might be why you think I'm "deleting" posts but I'm not, I'm quoting and responding to certain posts but the originals are all still there.

Ah I see. Personally I always find those conversations troublesome!!
Mei tsuki7

That is called anecdotal evidence and has no true scientific basis and is not true evidence. It is prejudice honestly but that doesn't mean it's not a normal human response.

I actually don't know anyone with a tattoo who is a troublemaker honestly.

No it is pattern recognition.

Lets say you go into town for the first time and you meet 20 people, 6 of the people that you come across have tattoos and they all attempt to rob you. A short while later you come across person number 21 and this person has tattoos as well. Do you suspect that they might try to rob you? Based on your past experiences? I know that I would consider it and it is because of the pattern that my brain is noticing.

Savage Fairy

12,700 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Perhaps it isn't so much that he has tattoos, but the nature/position of them. I have no issue with tattoos, but getting a tattoo in certain places can lead to generalised ideas about one's character. For example, getting a tattoo on your lower back is described as a "tramp stamp", and is seen as something on slutty, lower class girls would get. I'm not saying this is right, just about the ideas associated with the image.

Newbie Noob

I AM R U
Perhaps it isn't so much that he has tattoos, but the nature/position of them. I have no issue with tattoos, but getting a tattoo in certain places can lead to generalised ideas about one's character. For example, getting a tattoo on your lower back is described as a "tramp stamp", and is seen as something on slutty, lower class girls would get. I'm not saying this is right, just about the ideas associated with the image.

I agree. So therefore do we just need to associate positive images with tattoos?

Savage Fairy

12,700 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
duldol v3
I AM R U

I agree. So therefore do we just need to associate positive images with tattoos?

Well, I think that is happening naturally as tattoos move into the mainstream - they become more acceptable as more "acceptable" people get them.

Newbie Noob

I AM R U
duldol v3
I AM R U

Well, I think that is happening naturally as tattoos move into the mainstream - they become more acceptable as more "acceptable" people get them.

Hopefully!

I'm still trying to understand this professionalism attire and why tattoos are sometimes banned from being shown in the workplace.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff