Welcome to Gaia! ::

Your Neighbor
They see a fetus as a person, which is on par with thinking that a seed is an apple.

I disagree with this here. A unborn child, or 'fetus' is in an environment to grow and is growing. A seed does not have the environment to grow until planted. Plus, seeds don't grow into apples as apples grow on trees; the apple seed will grow an apple tree before the apple.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Bogotanian

arrow A foetus of a week isn't a person because it lacks everything that makes it an organism. It's as though we claimed that a rock is a person. Both are equally lacking in any ability to be even remotely aware of their surroundings. They don't know what is going on, they have no brain to speak of or anything. A foetus at that stage is just a clump of cells no more possessing personhood than a clump of weeds or a handful of sand, or skin-cells.

Phantom

LoveLoud837
Your Neighbor
They see a fetus as a person, which is on par with thinking that a seed is an apple.

I disagree with this here. A unborn child, or 'fetus' is in an environment to grow and is growing. A seed does not have the environment to grow until planted. Plus, seeds don't grow into apples as apples grow on trees; the apple seed will grow an apple tree before the apple.
A fruit is an ovary though, remember that. And if a seed is planted, it's still not a tree.

Then what of the chicken and egg comparison? There has been no rebuttal about that.

Like the fetus, a fertilized chicken egg is has growing cells. However, the egg is not a chicken.

Hence this is where the logic behind "pro-life" ( which is more ironic to me than anything ) appears to fail. I just don't see a rational reason to infringe on the rights of others, especially when we need to do s**t about overpopulation in the first place.

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The Legendary Guest
Mik Laid
Bogotanian
The Legendary Guest
Bogotanian
The Legendary Guest

Quoting me does not notify Herald of your reply. If you wish to get Herald's attention, the way to do that is to quote Herald.

Your "attributes"?? Are nonsense. Love does not involve judgment, and why does the god get to decree that it shall judge? Why should I believe in the notion of "sin" when there is no extra-Biblical support for such a notion? Mighty handy how the god gets to judge what the god said it got to judge in the book which is true because the god said so in the book.

Circular reasoning at it's finest. You live with the cognitive dissonance, don't try to put that s**t back on me. I was raised Catholic, you cannot possibly tell me things that my great-uncle, Father George, didn't already tell me as a child.

I don't believe it, and I am grateful for the lack of cognitive dissonance that brings to my mind. OF COURSE genocide is wrong, under all circumstances, because it is the permanent destruction of that which cannot be replaced. Ever. We get one life and have no right to commit genocide.

I'm not pushing anything on you. I didn't say that you have to think this way. I was defending my beliefs and why it's not right to label God as a genocidal monster pertaining to your verses. I said my views about the attributes of God, and how people can't just look at one without looking at the others and how it relates to the problem of evil. I also have the right to defend my views when you say that they are full of contradictions.

Also, I like your answer about genocide. It's good to see absolute beliefs on things and I agree with it.

This is the ED. If you quote me, I am going to reply and if I disagree, I am going to tell you why. If your beliefs and your views are so correct, why do they need to be defended to anyone? They should be iron-clad, above reproach, unable to be doubted!

How do you know what the attributes are of a god who does not manifest those attributes, and in fact does not manifest at all? It's ridiculous.

But God does manifest those attributes. The issue is that you accept the problem of evil. "If God is loving, why would bad things happen?" Or how can good and evil co-exist? That comes from a faulty understanding of the nature of God

Also, even from the agnostic atheist position, it is not ironclad that God does not exist. He could still exist, there is always the possibility. Unless your position was "God does not exist."

Again, I agree that we have no right to commit genocide. We all do get one life that can't be replaced. That seems to imply a value in human life, which I agree with. In your view, why is a human life valuable? To kill someone or commit genocide would be playing God, and deciding who lives and who dies. Is not abortion also the destruction of the one thing that can't be replaced? The unborn get one life and no chance to be replaced.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Let's see. Job, God SENT the Devil to kill his family, kill his animals, cover him in sores (btw, all to see if he would continue to worship him, a little egotistical if I say so myself). Job did NOTHING to provoke this. This was a BET between God and the Devil. God sent bears to maul children for laughing at a blind man. He destroyed entire cities, armies, places, all because "they didn't worship him". In fact, in Sodom and Gormorrah, he had to be CONVINCED to let a city not burn by finding like 100 "good people" totally IGNORING that if there had been only 99 and those 99 "good people" would've died to smite the others. YEAH, TOTALLY ******** LOVING.

IF your god was real and IF your God was indeed "loving", why would he put 1.) a fallible man 2.) in a garden with the Tree of Knowledge ('cause let's get real here; it didn't HAVE to ******** be there, the whole damn planet and he puts it within walking distance, uh huh) 3.) knowing that Satan was around & would convince them. If he is actually "all-knowing" as y'all would say, why did he have to call out for Adam and Eve to find them? He should've known where they were the entire time. And I don't wanna hear, "he left for a bit, the book tells you so", that's bull. If he is "everywhere at once" or omnipotent, he would've still been there.

Agnostic atheist = not real. You are either agnostic, believing there could be something. Or you are atheist, you do not believe in a god. An agnostic atheist is just an agnostic. Where did legendary even say what her religious preference was? Assumptions are bad, bro.

You're wrong about the inability to be an agnostic atheist. Please see my post history and that of Rumblestiltskin, addressing the positions of agnosticism and atheism at length, with Bogotanian. He is correct - I am an agnostic atheist and he knows that because I said I was.
My apologies. I'll go read that. o 3o

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Bogotanian
Mik Laid

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

To set up the context of the passage (1 Corinthians 13:1-3) This is talking about the characteristics of true love that humans are supposed to show. Paul mentions that you can do many great and righteous thing, but if you don't have love (if someone gives everything to the poor to look righteous, but don't care about them) than those actions are worthless. In the context it is how we are to act. Paul notes that love is the most important thing.

To address your issue, I don't really see any problems with the bold points. As I said before, we have an incorrect view on goodness (that we are good). Christians believe in total depravity, which says that everyone is a sinner. An attribute of God is holiness, and he demands judgment for sinners. Often times we have the view that "If God is a God of love, how can he do these things?" The real perspective is "It is because of God's mercy that we are still alive." That is a frightening fact to many but theologically sound.

There is a thing called righteous anger, and I underlined a part of the verses you posted. Jesus loved everyone, yet he still got mad at people who were selling things in the temple. Was that wrong? Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. If you see something that is evil, or unjust than it is acceptable to get angry. Also, God does protect people. In fact, if he was devoid of love and operated purely out of his holiness, than all sinners would die. It is because of God's love for humanity that he withholds judgment and gives people time to repent.

Finally, for the keeps no records of wrong point, the fact of the matter is that an attribute of God is holiness. He detests sin and evil and is a judge as well. People don't like to focus on that aspect of God, but it is true. The fact is, we are not supposed to keep tally of right and wrong (like I said with Paul addressing how we are to act) but one who is blameless and pure, devoid of sin can keep count of right and wrong (God). God is the only one blameless and the only one justified to keep a record of right and wrong. It is in his nature to judge sinners, yet it is only because of God's love for humanity that everyone is given more time to repent.

To quote Johnathan Edwards, "There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God"

My point is that it's popular to go around saying that God is all about love, and that it doesn't matter how we act because in the end everything will work itself out. God is love. But he is also a holy being.

Quote:
Let's see. Job, God SENT the Devil to kill his family, kill his animals, cover him in sores (btw, all to see if he would continue to worship him, a little egotistical if I say so myself). Job did NOTHING to provoke this. This was a BET between God and the Devil. God sent bears to maul children for laughing at a blind man. He destroyed entire cities, armies, places, all because "they didn't worship him". In fact, in Sodom and Gormorrah, he had to be CONVINCED to let a city not burn by finding like 100 "good people" totally IGNORING that if there had been only 99 and those 99 "good people" would've died to smite the others. YEAH, TOTALLY ******** LOVING.

God sent a Satan, or an accuser. It could have been the devil, or it could not have been. It was some sort of accuser who was summoned to the presence of God .

The story of Job gives a lot of insights into the matter of good and evil. Job constantly notes that the wicked seem to be prospering and that there is no justice in the world. Why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people? What is clear is that ultimate justice won't be enacted until the end times (the world we are living in now is full of injustices, such as evil people getting away with things).

A lesson to be learned from Job is that there are things going on the the spiritual realm that one cannot possibly comprehend, just like Satan was sent to test him. The point is that God was testing Job. Job was looking at the injustices in the world and wondering why, and God was saying that he ultimately knows and is taking into account everything that is happening. It could be a test, or that God is giving some people a time to prosper (just like the Devil is allowed to roam the earth). But in the end judgment will pas. God ultimately has more knowledge of the situation than we can see in the physical and spiritual realms, and the point of Job is to trust in God, regardless of the circumstances.

Back to the loving thing. Yes, God is merciful, but even God's mercy does run out (you can't just go around doing what you want forever without consequences). In the context of God being a holy God, as I explained above, it is an act of mercy that the whole world right now isn't being treated like Soddom and Gommorah were. If God truly had no love and no mercy for people, and was just going off of his holy character, than the world would burn.

Quote:
IF your god was real and IF your God was indeed "loving", why would he put 1.) a fallible man 2.) in a garden with the Tree of Knowledge ('cause let's get real here; it didn't HAVE to ******** be there, the whole damn planet and he puts it within walking distance, uh huh) 3.) knowing that Satan was around & would convince them. If he is actually "all-knowing" as y'all would say, why did he have to call out for Adam and Eve to find them? He should've known where they were the entire time. And I don't wanna hear, "he left for a bit, the book tells you so", that's bull. If he is "everywhere at once" or omnipotent, he would've still been there.

This also relates to the nature of God. It can be argued that the reason that God would allow man to sin in the first place was for the story of redemption to take place and for a deeper love. After all, if everything was perfect Adam and Eve would have loved God, but because everything was perfect. That could have been a superficial love (loving because everything is going good) or even a robotic response. God saw it fit and worthy to take the risk of allowing humans to disobey in him the first place, for arguably a more fulfilling love. He saw it fit to give them a choice (after all, if they had no choice how real would the love have been?). This is a difficult question and one I've thought a lot about as well, and one I've had tons of questions about. Was it worth the risk of potential damnation for people? Apparently God thought so.

Also, God is omnipresent. He knew what was going on and what had happened. I think he asked more to see their reaction. They didn't know that God knew already, and how were they going to react to God's approach? He wanted to see their reaction and whether they would confess, but the blame game started (Adam blames Eve, Eve blames the serpent).

Quote:
Agnostic atheist = not real. You are either agnostic, believing there could be something. Or you are atheist, you do not believe in a god. An agnostic atheist is just an agnostic. Where did legendary even say what her religious preference was? Assumptions are bad, bro.

I actually had a discussion with legendary about those terms, and she said that agnostic atheist is a position. And it was a discussion about agnostics seeing themselves as a middle ground between atheism and theism, but she was telling me that atheism and theism relate to belief while agnosticism relates to knowledge, and that it actually isn't a middle ground.
I apologize about the term thing. <3

It never ceases to amaze me how God can kill and murder tons of people, but still be called holy.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
XxTheVeganVampirexX
Bogotanian

arrow A foetus of a week isn't a person because it lacks everything that makes it an organism. It's as though we claimed that a rock is a person. Both are equally lacking in any ability to be even remotely aware of their surroundings. They don't know what is going on, they have no brain to speak of or anything. A foetus at that stage is just a clump of cells no more possessing personhood than a clump of weeds or a handful of sand, or skin-cells.

The anti-choice movement is forever appealing to this deepity.

From the RationalWiki Entry on Deepities
In the first reading, this statement is true, but trivial; the zygote is the earliest developmental stage of the human embryo. In the second reading, the statement could be interpreted to mean the zygote is a human person; this is false, but would be profound if true. The statement is obviously false because a person cannot be a single-celled organism any more than he or she could be a paper shredder. The statement would be profound if true because a large percentage of zygotes fail to implant in the uterus, and thus die. The deaths from this would far exceed deaths from such maladies as breast cancer or childhood leukemia, and thus would mandate society to immediately divert massive government funds to stop the crisis. Certainly any problem killing a massive percentage of children deserves a large percentage of NIH funding.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Mik Laid
The Legendary Guest
Mik Laid
Bogotanian
The Legendary Guest

This is the ED. If you quote me, I am going to reply and if I disagree, I am going to tell you why. If your beliefs and your views are so correct, why do they need to be defended to anyone? They should be iron-clad, above reproach, unable to be doubted!

How do you know what the attributes are of a god who does not manifest those attributes, and in fact does not manifest at all? It's ridiculous.

But God does manifest those attributes. The issue is that you accept the problem of evil. "If God is loving, why would bad things happen?" Or how can good and evil co-exist? That comes from a faulty understanding of the nature of God

Also, even from the agnostic atheist position, it is not ironclad that God does not exist. He could still exist, there is always the possibility. Unless your position was "God does not exist."

Again, I agree that we have no right to commit genocide. We all do get one life that can't be replaced. That seems to imply a value in human life, which I agree with. In your view, why is a human life valuable? To kill someone or commit genocide would be playing God, and deciding who lives and who dies. Is not abortion also the destruction of the one thing that can't be replaced? The unborn get one life and no chance to be replaced.

You're wrong about the inability to be an agnostic atheist. Please see my post history and that of Rumblestiltskin, addressing the positions of agnosticism and atheism at length, with Bogotanian. He is correct - I am an agnostic atheist and he knows that because I said I was.
My apologies. I'll go read that. o 3o

No problem, dear. You know where the inbox is if you have questions. emotion_hug

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
LoveLoud837
Your Neighbor

And if the sperm and ovum are united in a petri dish, the result is not in an environment "to grow" although it is growing. A large percentage of zygotes also fail to implant in the uterus, so simply being in that environment is not a guarantee of growth potential.

Further, it is entirely possible to have a fertilized chicken egg in the palm of your hand, where it will not develop and hatch. I grew up in farm country; this is a regular occurrence and these eggs were demonstrably not chickens. A zygote is also not a person because a person cannot be an undeveloped clump of cells any more than they can be a garbage disposal.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
The Legendary Guest

arrow Good god.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
XxTheVeganVampirexX
The Legendary Guest

arrow Good god.

Well he gets on my damn nerves, you know. wink

I laughed so hard when I looked up deepity and there was the actual argument as an example.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
The Legendary Guest

arrow Same here.
arrow That is good. RationalWiki is good like that.

Heroic Hero

XxTheVeganVampirexX
Bogotanian

You're assuming that sentience = person. That can't be proven. Also, the fetus does have brain development. A baby is not as sentient as an adult, so are they any less person? Would it be humane to kill a baby? Or for that matter, are people sentient when they are sleeping? By your definition, someone who's sleeping is not sentient, so they are not human throughout that time frame.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Bogotanian
XxTheVeganVampirexX
Bogotanian

You're assuming that sentience = person. That can't be proven. Also, the fetus does have brain development. A baby is not as sentient as an adult, so are they any less person? Would it be humane to kill a baby? Or for that matter, are people sentient when they are sleeping? By your definition, someone who's sleeping is not sentient, so they are not human throughout that time frame.

What stage of development are you talking about here? Do you know when most abortions are performed? Do you know the brain development of the fetus at the stage of development that most abortions are performed? A fetus is not a baby any more than a baby is a preschooler, a preschooler is a teenager, a teenager is a middle-aged person, a middle-person is an elderly person or an elderly person is a cadaver.

If all stages of human development are equally valid, demonstrate how an elderly person is, in fact, the same as a cadaver.

Heroic Hero

The Legendary Guest
XxTheVeganVampirexX
Bogotanian

The anti-choice movement is forever appealing to this deepity.

From the RationalWiki Entry on Deepities
In the first reading, this statement is true, but trivial; the zygote is the earliest developmental stage of the human embryo. In the second reading, the statement could be interpreted to mean the zygote is a human person; this is false, but would be profound if true. The statement is obviously false because a person cannot be a single-celled organism any more than he or she could be a paper shredder. The statement would be profound if true because a large percentage of zygotes fail to implant in the uterus, and thus die. The deaths from this would far exceed deaths from such maladies as breast cancer or childhood leukemia, and thus would mandate society to immediately divert massive government funds to stop the crisis. Certainly any problem killing a massive percentage of children deserves a large percentage of NIH funding.

This wiki has a lot of assumptions. "Obviously false?" Yeah, we also used to be those organisms called zygotes, there was never a chance that someone could be a paper shredder. It's also ignoring the issue that abortion is intentional tampering with fetal development. It's a different issue from failure to implant or stillbirths.

Also stop ignoring this argument and address it. You've ignored it twice now.

"The fetus is a person or is not a person, and we either know it or we don’t know it. We end up with four possible outcomes.

In the first case, the fetus is a person and we know it, so abortion is the deliberate killing of an innocent person. In this case, abortion is murder and therefore is always wrong. Alternatively, if the fetus is a person, but we don’t know it, then abortion is killing a person unintentionally—manslaughter. Even if the fetus is not a person, but we don’t know it, abortion qualifies as criminal negligence. Without perfect certainty that the fetus is not a person, doing anything to endanger its potential personhood is morally indefensible. Only in the final case, if the fetus is not a person and we know it definitively, is abortion morally permissible."

Abortion is either murder, unintentional manslaughter, criminal negligence, or morally permissible (and only if we are absolutely sure with no doubts about it).

Heroic Hero

The Legendary Guest
Bogotanian
XxTheVeganVampirexX
Bogotanian

What stage of development are you talking about here? Do you know when most abortions are performed? Do you know the brain development of the fetus at the stage of development that most abortions are performed? A fetus is not a baby any more than a baby is a preschooler, a preschooler is a teenager, a teenager is a middle-aged person, a middle-person is an elderly person or an elderly person is a cadaver.

If all stages of human development are equally valid, demonstrate how an elderly person is, in fact, the same as a cadaver.

I just read that at 12-15 weeks the fetus has a formed brain, which continues to grow.

Well that example seems kind of morbid, but easily refutable. A cadaver is not alive. It is not living. All other stages of life are living and development.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff