Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

I think the NRA is doing more harm then good. Now, why do I think this is the case?

So I live in Chicago, and gun ownership here really wasn't economical. Eventually, the supreme court came in and fixed the issue. So I went to my local gun store to rent a gun at their range but all they had was a .45 handgun, 22lr rifle, and some Antique rifle. That's it, only 3 guns, and the 45 was the only gun they had ammo for.

Why?

Before Chicago allowed handgun ownership Obama said he'd have some sort of weapons ban. Then people in Chicago could finally own guns. But, the idiots running my city said they would create new gun laws.

So we have one case of Free Buying, and Two cases of Fear Buying. People where free to buy guns so they wanted them and the whole Obama weapons ban and New Chicago Gun Laws pending made people go crazy.

Why?

Because the NRA had to paint Obama like Hitler and all the gun like jews. Apparently, if you only listened to the NRA, he was going to round them all up and throw them in incinerators.

Obama didn't steal my second amendment, neither did Chicago, it was the NRA. They ******** fear mongered the s**t out of this and then perpetuated that fear until in translated into money (fear buying). I'm not worried about the government screwing up my gun rights. I'm worried about these NRA corporate shills screwing us over for an extra buck. They are the real threat to our second amendment.

If I ever find myself in a possession where I am targeted by the government for legally owning a firearm, and the NRA offers to help, I'm going to tell that scum to ******** off.
Your right to own a firearm is your right to defend yourself. This is a natural inalienable right that nobody can ever take away from you.

Anybody that can take your gun can prevent you from having them. Any law suggesting that you somehow are not allowed to have a gun is inherently incorrect, but must be created in the state or federal house and then passed by your state or federal judicial or executive representative(s.)

The NRA is not a part of your state or federal government so, they have neither taken your right nor passed any law against it.

Lobby against the NRA stances or join the NRA and change it's stances.

You can go to just about any licensed firearm dealer's site and order a firearm that can be delivered to your local licensed dealer for your purchase.
decades ago, the NRA was left of center on gun rights, but because it was right of the Brady campaigners, it was perceived as being a right, pro gun organization.

there's basically two camps of gun owners.

Camp A:
The Red Dawn/Militant/Declaration of Independence/Patrick Henry types

Camp B:
Blue Dogs/Farmer Democrats/Target Shooters/LEOs/Gun lock/safe types

Everyone else either doesn't own guns and/or wants them melted down into plow shares.

NRA traditionally fits into camp B, which is the easiest group to disarm through the principle of gradualism. Camp B sees itself as reasonable, as community centered, as peaceful, as law abiding, and as strictly not paranoid about losing its rights because that kind of thing could never happen.

Camp A is going to tell you "School cops now have tanks" and Camp B is going to tell you that is patently absurd. Camp A is going to say liberty requires bloodshed from time to time, while Camp B is going to tell you there's no such thing as NSA spying and no president has ever banned the importation of any firearms such as Russian AK47s.

now here's what's interesting. A short time after Obama was elected, the NRA started looking more like camp A instead of B.. I have no idea what caused this, but it all happened about the same period of years that many gun companies were consolidated under a single banner and their investors largely included Teachers Unions that were simultaneously protesting the existence of firearms.

I'm not totally solid on all the issues, but I recall reports on the effectiveness of assault weapons bans turned out to be negligible - and this is at the same time that many teacher pensions or whatever they were gained profits from the sale of rifles including Bushmaster AR-15s later used in school shootings. No, really. The teachers were getting income off the weapons used to kill their students. ******** up huh?

Well anyway, someone reported on this and they apparently severed their ties and the union of these gun companies was broken up or dissolved. Meanwhile a bunch of states like Colorado and Connecticut started passing major anti gun legislation and a bunch of companies picked up roots and left their factories and moved with many families of employees to places like Texas.

Meanwhile, Shows like Sons of Guns, Top Shot, American Guns, Doomsday Preppers, and Duck Dynasty are also competing against scandals, real and imagined, with the attempt to color gun ownership in the extreme.

What's really interesting though is the Renaissance of Female Gun ownership. I think the nexus of 3D printing, Youtube, and female gun ownership characterize the future direction of firearms. Polls on news channels about open carry turned out to backfire, as often 80+% of the polled people actually want the right to open carry all over the place.

Robert A. Heinlein was a science fiction author who conceived a future where open carry was normal, despite generations of advanced developments in science and technology. I think if you look at Gene Roddenberry, you see that hand held defense weapons are - while not as common as Heinlein's world - still ubiquitous.

Human beings as social creatures tend to forget that we don't have natural tools or defenses compared with most other life forms. We can't become invisible like chameleons, and we aren't indestructible balls like pill bugs, armadillos, or turtles. We don't have sharp talons like tigers or tusks like elephants, and when winter rolls in, we are pretty screwed without a thick pelt like that of a Wolf or Polar Bear. We don't even have tails like the other opposable thumb groups, and Gorillas are both harry and about 4 times stronger than us.

Human beings are therefore supposed to invent our own weapons and armor. Our progress is basically a measure of how good we can attack enemies and defend against predators and harsh environments. We can't fly like birds or swim like dolphins or run like Cheetahs, so our ability to build submarines and airplanes and automobiles are also huge symbols of our ingenuity.

Group B people can be dangerous because they don't typically want human progress, they want humans to reach equilibrium with nature, but nature HATES humans and does everything it can to destroy us and provides us with nothing in exchange, except those tools camp B wants to "tone down" for the community.

As long as the NRA looks more like camp A, despite the flow of profit margins, I think they need the benefit of the doubt. I'm guessing they figured out camp B ultimately led to the Australian option of total disarm, and you can't have a National Nothing Association and expect to keep annual salaries to remain high.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
guns shoot ppl.

Newbie Noob

logan the god of candy
Your right to own a firearm is your right to defend yourself. This is a natural inalienable right that nobody can ever take away from you.

Anybody that can take your gun can prevent you from having them. Any law suggesting that you somehow are not allowed to have a gun is inherently incorrect, but must be created in the state or federal house and then passed by your state or federal judicial or executive representative(s).

The NRA is not a part of your state or federal government so, they have neither taken your right nor passed any law against it.
These statements conflict with each other. . . If you try to speak, but I hit you in the face with a bat and gag you, your freedom of speech has effectively been silenced. Yet, I am not the government. If you are protesting and I call in a bomb threat causing you to flee, I've effectively countered your right to assembly. Yet, I am not the government. The NRA has created a climate in which gun ownership has become difficult. Without being the government, they have effectively stolen my right to own a gun for there own political gain.

When people say federal, they often mean national. We have a National and State government, together that makes it a federal system. Anything, and I do mean anything, in the constitution can be amended. Which is done by a 2/3 senate vote, a 2/3 house vote, and then 3/4 of the states legislatures must also agree to it.

logan the god of candy
Lobby against the NRA stances or join the NRA and change it's stances.

******** em'

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces