Welcome to Gaia! ::

So this has been on my mind for a while now and I'll try to articulate my thoughts the best I can in the little time I have before work. What I want to discuss is the fall of the black community, how/why it came about, and what we can do to elevate ourselves.

In my honest opinion, the fall of the black community rest solely on the shoulder of the black man. We should be the leaders of our families, but half the time where are not even there, whether it be physically or emotionally. When we are not there and our sons and daughters don't have a positive male role model in their life then ofcourse they'll be lead astray. Thus, the endless cycle begins, men learn to be men from what they see on TV and women look for the type of men that they see on TV.

What type of black man is depicted on TV 99% of the time? A thug, a criminal, an athlete, or an entertainer; so this is what a lot of us strive to become. These have become a lot of our values. We start believing that the only way to make money or be successful is to become an athlete, or a rapper, or a drug dealer and that's what we pursue.

What or your thoughts and how do you suggest that we change our culture?
Purplex
In my honest opinion, the fall of the black community rest solely on the shoulder of the black man. We should be the leaders of our families, but half the time where are not even there, whether it be physically or emotionally. When we are not there and our sons and daughters don't have a positive male role model in their life then ofcourse they'll be lead astray. Thus, the endless cycle begins, men learn to be men from what they see on TV and women look for the type of men that they see on TV.

What type of black man is depicted on TV 99% of the time? A thug, a criminal, an athlete, or an entertainer; so this is what a lot of us strive to become. These have become a lot of our values. We start believing that the only way to make money or be successful is to become an athlete, or a rapper, or a drug dealer and that's what we pursue.

Does the black man decide what is depicted on TV 99% of the time?
Lucky~9~Lives
Purplex

Ultimately, yes because we can refuse to play certain roles or show ourselves only as entertainer and athletes.
While I don't disagree that this is an issue, I really don't think this is the best sort of website to post this on, not because there is no discussion, but because there isn't a large pool of people who will fully understand and empathize with this predicament.
Purplex
Lucky~9~Lives
Purplex

Ultimately, yes because we can refuse to play certain roles or show ourselves only as entertainer and athletes.

Only by boycotting appearing on television entirely.
foxxykitty27
While I don't disagree that this is an issue, I really don't think this is the best sort of website to post this on, not because there is no discussion, but because there isn't a large pool of people who will fully understand and empathize with this predicament.
Lol, should I head to the BET Forums?
Purplex
What I want to discuss is the fall of the black community, how/why it came about, and what we can do to elevate ourselves.

How has the black community fallen?

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Quote:
What type of black man is depicted on TV 99% of the time?

Well there is this one black man that appears on TV on a daily basis who people kind of think is important.

User Image

Perhaps you recognize him? He is what some might call a president of the USA.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
So where does The Black Man live? I haven't ever seen him, he sounds like he does a lot for one single person.

Oh wait, black people aren't some kind of hivemind.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I don't understand the presumption that people learn how to live real life based on television shows and movies. The actions and words of real people in my life resonate infinitely stronger within my mind than any lines or plots delivered in televised dramas and comedies.

Anyone who constrains themselves to the roles they see members of their race and gender depicted as on TV need to learn to better differentiate between reality and fantasy.
Purplex

Actually those two don't seem as common anymore. At least I'm not aware of too many black criminal characters on modern TV shows. When it comes to mentions on the news, they usually get about 30 seconds at most, then off to the five-minute segment on Jennifer Aniston or whatever.

What TV shows are you thinking of that have black criminal characters?
Brothern
Purplex
What I want to discuss is the fall of the black community, how/why it came about, and what we can do to elevate ourselves.

How has the black community fallen?

Yeah, it kind of implies they got on their feet in the first place.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What makes you think black men are the only ones responsible for what happens in the black community. I never understood why the man was so important to the equation. My mother raised me mostly on her own (grandparents assisted) when I was younger and I'd like to think I turned out just fine. But of course I'm not the only one. Kids can be raised successfully with just one parent.

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
So I live in California between a Korean district and Vietnamese district. These people came over here with nothing, barely a penny to their name. They started small businesses like laundry mats, restaurants and Asian stores. They pushed their kids really hard and had their children stay in the area. Soon their were more small businesses, and doctors and dentist and optometrists. They did business only within their community. If they bought an appliance from an Asian and they got it serviced by an Asian when it broke down.

Now this is not to say their were no flaws with this community. Korean and Vietnamese gangs popped up and there were break ins, muggings and drive by shootings. There were many motels and sex workers who walked the streets at night. But they elected a Vietnamese mayor who really cracked down on the crime rates and made it a nice place to live and build a family.

Asians are not the only ones who do this. Indians and Muslims and Russians and Gays all do this too. If you want property value of an area to soar get some gays to live their, they fix up the areas like crazy. But the point is, these communities are important for building up an area and the people who live there.

Blacks do not do this. Blacks do not trust other blacks. Black parents do not push their children to do well. Blacks do not buy from black owned stores. When a black person gets money, they leave the area asap. THIS is the problem with American blacks. Schools are funded by the taxes of the community. When a community isn't making money and the schools stay crappy and you have more uneducated children.

This attitude is completely cultural, too. Because Ethiopians come to America and make Ethiopian districts where they prosper. So it is not like it some genetic problem American Blacks have. Yes it is difficult but if blacks cared about each other they would do something to fix the problems they are in.

Dapper Reveler

Purplex
Lucky~9~Lives
Purplex

you're a badass, i mean if your actually black

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces