Welcome to Gaia! ::

Queen_Sharpie
Quote:
Congrats, you've been brainwashed by conservative christian propaganda. They are the ones that espouse that being "open minded" (alongside with being tolerant, being accepting, diversity, etc) are "bad" things.

Why?

Ultimately, being "closed" minded perpetuates and justifies, excuses maltreatment towards other human beings, like gays. So by proporting that you're close-minded, you support repressing and oppressing groups of people who are just a bit different from you, or, in the conservative christian realm, anyone who is not a white, rich, protestant male.

What's being open-minded about? It's not neccessarily about being "wishy-washy". It's not about accepting every single tidbit of information as truth. It's not about having absolutely no opinion or no thoughts about anything. Being open minded is about jumping into other people's perspectives and understanding where they come from, even if you don't agree with their world view. At the very least, you develop empathy and recognize a person's humanity for doing so. Being open-minded is about weighing in the options and the possibilities, rather than blindly following one path (especially if you arn't sure that path is the best one to take in the first place!). Being open-minded is about valueing an education, and valuing the truth above your own cost of "coming off as being correct". Being open-minded is about your own thinking, not someone else's ideas crammed down your throat expected to be blindly followed, such as the conservative christian propaganda that you just ate up.

Yes, you can be open-minded and still be a christian. You don't even have to be a liberal to be open-minded. You can still be open-minded... and also be true to yourself. no fear here, folks.

Okay you know nothing about me. And to call my beliefs closed-minded, according to what you wrote, you are being closed minded, which makes you a hypocrit.

While you are taking your head out of your a**, let me explain a few things-

First off, I am not, nor have I ever been brainwashed by anyone. As I mentioned in my original post, I have reasons why I believe everything I believe. I have never forced anyone to agree with me, or judged them or called them a sinner or what have you for simply disagreeing.

You have no idea what open mindedness is, otherwise you would have stopped to think for a second before writing your idiot ramblings.

and you, miss, have just reinforced my post you just quoted, through your behavior as depicted in your tone.

(Is it just me, or are christians some of the most obnoxious groups of people I know?) lol

anyway, have immense fun reveling in your close-minded-endorsing world view.
Quote:
and you, miss, have just reinforced my post you just quoted, through your behavior as depicted in your tone.

(Is it just me, or are christians some of the most obnoxious groups of people I know?)

anyway, have immense fun reveling in your close-minded-endorsing world view.

Okay, you are placing christians into a single stereotype. And once again, you know nothing about me, and yet assuming I am all these things. You are the stereotype of everything I was talking about in my first post.

Understand me before you judge me.
Um, good for you? Anyway, I'm not sure who/why/when/where somebody called you closed minded, but closed-mindedness is when one refuses to look at anybody else's side but their own. Perhaps you were called it because you were doing so in an arguement. That's when it tends to happen. So think about how you argue. If you even argue at all, or if you just walk away.
Being closed-minded isn't saying "I don't agree"; being close-minded is saying "I WON'T agree".

You can be open-minded and have almost all the same ideals as a stereotypical close-minded person. It depends on whether you have the capability to accept the things that you don't accept.

People also tend to agree that open-mindedness allows other people to do what you don't agree with, as long as it doesn't hurt you or others.

I hate when "I disagree," means "I'm a close-minded a*****e who will never agree with you!11raaaawr!!!1!!!"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff