Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
In Star Wars episode 3,
Anakin Skywalker is told by Darth Sidious/Chancellor Palpatine to kill Count Dooku.
Count Dooku is unarmed and Anakin feels it would be wrong to execute him.
He kills Dooku and starts on the path to the dark side.

Is using the death penalty the path to the dark side?

Hilarious Prophet

Whatever we choose to imagine can be as private as we want it to be. Nobody knows what you're thinking or feeling unless you share it.
Only if your lightsaber is red and glowing.
Yah cuz he got sad

Shirtless Humorist

5,700 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I think we should bring back gladiator fights. That way we don't actually "kill anyone"
Two people fight it out, one wins when he kills the other, then we convict him of murder and send him back in the arena!

It's a fool proof plan!

Shirtless Humorist

5,700 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Oh come on that's a hilarious post.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Wise Owl Eye
In Star Wars episode 3,
Anakin Skywalker is told by Darth Sidious/Chancellor Palpatine to kill Count Dooku.
Count Dooku is unarmed and Anakin feels it would be wrong to execute him.
He kills Dooku and starts on the path to the dark side.

Is using the death penalty the path to the dark side?

Considering the fact that I've never been a big Star Wars fan, and only watched the "prequels" for the interests of a buddy of mine (he wanted to see 3 together, so I had to watch the other 2, so I wouldn't be completely lost), let me just say something....

You're an idiot. Anikan was already on that path of darkness, long before that execution scene. Remember in Episode 2, when he went nuts and murdered a whole bunch of people "...even the women...and children, too."? Yeah. Dooku was well past the off-ramp to dark-side. Just another pit-stop, along the way.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The Marvelous Joshua
I think we should bring back gladiator fights. That way we don't actually "kill anyone"

Killing someone who deserves to die. Maybe I'm some degree of sociopath, but I could live with it.

Fanatical Zealot

Does count Duku deserve death? Yes.

But while it might be okay to kill him, killing him in that manner is wrong. He was a prisoner, who surrendered, and at the very least, he deserves the right to a fair trial.

If he presents himself as a threat he has no other choice.

But even if he gets executed later, killing him in the heat of the moment, when it's not necessary, could be perceived as wrong.

The problem is not necessarily that Anakin wasn't justified.

Just that when you have a better way, you should take it. Unlike in our world people in their world possess much great power, the force gives you the potential ability to bend minds and destroy large objects. Yoda lifts a starship, so you can in fact lift or destroy even their most powerful machines.

So a count Doku could always escape even if in your best jail.

And if he does, there's no reason to believe his power wouldn't kill or he wouldn't go on to kill again. The truth is, following the senator's advice was stupid. He could have interrogated Dooku, found out lots of information, all kinds of things.

Is the death penalty necessarily wrong? What lead Anakin to believe that the dark side was right was that the death penalty was justified.

But what he failed to realize was that he was not judge, jury, and executioner, and doing it in the heat of the moment to execute a surrendered prisoner is not the same thing either. You have to have a deliberate reason. Getting riled up to do it because someone else told you to is what's wrong, and lead him to the dark side. Whether or not Dooku deserves to die or not is irrelevant. It was simply not his decision to make that call in that manner, unless he posed himself as a serious threat, which is a whole other factor in it's own right.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Suicidesoldier#1

But while it might be okay to kill him, killing him in that manner is wrong. He was a prisoner, who surrendered, and at the very least, he deserves the right to a fair trial.

This was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. He had no identifiable entitlements to American rights.

Fanatical Zealot

black_wing_angel
Suicidesoldier#1

This was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. He had no identifiable entitlements to American rights.

But they're unalienable rights.

So even aliens get them. ninja
Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul as well as General Grievous, and he never joined the dark side.

Luke Skywalker killed at least TENS OF THOUSANDS (probably a LOT more than that!) when he blew up the Death Star.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Suicidesoldier#1
black_wing_angel
Suicidesoldier#1

They're unailenable, in the eyes of the American people. To places even as close as China, they're a distant dream. Multiply that distance by many, many light years, and reverse time to a point long before Earth was discovered, let alone America founded, and...well...what the ******** is a right to a "fair trial"?

Fanatical Zealot

black_wing_angel
Suicidesoldier#1
black_wing_angel
Suicidesoldier#1

They're unailenable, in the eyes of the American people. To places even as close as China, they're a distant dream. Multiply that distance by many, many light years, and reverse time to a point long before Earth was discovered, let alone America founded, and...well...what the ******** is a right to a "fair trial"?

Um...

I hold the truths to be self evident, so I don't have to explain anything. ninja

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Suicidesoldier#1
black_wing_angel
Suicidesoldier#1
black_wing_angel
Suicidesoldier#1

Um...

I hold the truths to be self evident, so I don't have to explain anything. ninja

And I hold the truth to be self-evident, that a cruel b*****d like Dooku, be shown zero mercy for his crimes. That his begging for mercy, be not but sugar on the fruit of vengeance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff