Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think a lot of us would laugh when people would say "back in my day..."...but even a lot of my twenty something friends I notice have been saying how things in life seemed better just 5-8 short years ago. That while it's amazing to have gender equality, LGBTQ rights, worker rights, environment at the forefront of discussion...that other things in society seem like they've gotten...well, lamer. Lamenting not just the death of video stores, arcades, and people talking on the phone...just the walk n' text smart phone zombie phenomenom, facebook zombie'ism,
hipster bro mainstream culture, pop culture in general and the endless remakes/reboots/sequels in cinema...

I remember in the glory days of Gaia(2003-2006) that yes, we had Bush and torture and wars and all that...but things seemed amazing. Livejournal, easier to meet and make friends online, even myspace as embarrassing as it was represented a certain time. The post HD smart phone blu ray hashtag world seems so artificial and alien

And yet, I am excited about the far future, in 5-10 years even. Medical and technological break throughs and what not. But right now seems like the awkward teen years

1. Anyone else feel kind of dismayed by this current snapshot of time?

2. Anyone else, be it fond memories of early Gaia or the general early-mid-late 2000's appreciate the recent past a little more?

People seem overly offended, everything is hashtag this, selfie instagram this, and things feel like one big buzzfeed reshared meme

Tipsy Smoker

Everything during Clinton's time seemed to be better. That's the only period of time I would ever go back to.

Shameless Mystic

Generally, I'm a proponent of the idea that life has always sucked, and the "golden years" are a defense mechanism of sorts to convince yourself that you aren't a part of that immutable problem.

On the other hand, you're right, there's a lot of dumb stuff going on right now that wasn't really going on before. I think information technology is a delicate thing to describe, because despite the name suggesting the sharing of knowledge, it sure is making people dumb as s**t. I'm not exactly sure why this is the case because, historically, public forum has brought the pursuit of wisdom and understanding to the common man. Internet forum, by some great cosmic irony, seems to make otherwise moronic individuals into insufferable hordes of posers, hipsters, armchair philosophers, slacktivists, and bloggers.

I don't have the most positive view of the world I grew up through adolescence, but there were things I long for now. I loathe the spirit of this decade, and am eager to see what the future brings. Unfortunately, subculture no longer exists, and counterculture may be going the way of the dinosaur as well. Perhaps things won't change... at least not moreso than the volume being turned increasingly up so today's tweens can immitate their shitty upperclassmen in vibrant color.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
1) No. I took too many history classes for that - every time I'm bothered by something like people being too absorbed in their cell phones I just have to think back to those classes and I'm reminded it's just first world problems.

2) Not really. I miss G3 being the current pony generation, but I have the MCU now, so it all works out. And I can find G3 ponies on eBay.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Its just a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder, We all tend to romanticize the past. Though there will always be ups and downs the future is almost always better then the past.

Quotable Prophet

I think that part of it has to do with the sense of entitlement that comes with the convenience of the things we have nowadays.

For example, over a decade ago, cellphones were a useful commodity to have and had some benefits, but wasn't the center of people's lives. Nowadays, many people practically live through their phones, children younger and younger are wanting/getting their own phones, and it's reaching the point where one can't get by without having a cell phone. And heaven help you if you try to take away a cellphone from a teenager.

People can literally sue anyone for anything. Any perceived slight warrants extreme and disproportionate retribution. We have learned or rather been taught to take and/or do what we want, damn the consequences, because we "deserve" this. No real reason or basis for that belief, just that that the world "owes" us somehow.

Tipsy Smoker

Holidazed
Its just a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder, We all tend to romanticize the past. Though there will always be ups and downs the future is almost always better then the past.
The future gets me closer to death. crying

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Chahklet
Everything during Clinton's time seemed to be better. That's the only period of time I would ever go back to.

Looting social security, figuring it'd be up to the next guy to fix the looming financial crisis they just created ( and the lingering effects of which we're still feeling today ), Hilary Clinton's "We are the president of the United States" comments and political assassinations, loaning out Marine 1 to his buddies to use as a golf cart, being told by the Pentagon " . . . We don't do that" to his suggestion that we just abandon downed pilots involved in airstrikes in countries we had no business being in in the first place, responding to what they believed was a suicide cult by burning their compound to the ground around them, pardons for each and every Rodham and Clinton with a record, "I did not inhale," "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," rape in the oval office from a man with a history of having done similar as governor, impeachment proceedings, and a very special musical guest on Arsenio Hall's late-night program . . .

And yet, when all's said and done, he was still better than the two that came after him. Bar's pretty low right now when it comes to "best president of the last 50 years." But, that just makes it all the more depressing that neither Bush nor Obama could clear it.
Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Chahklet
Holidazed

Well yeah me too XD

But the world doesnt care about that the world only cares about progress and most likely the world will be much better off a hundred years after we're both dead.

And death shouldnt be scary for you. One second after your death will be no different then one second before you were concieved. XD

Super Fairy

11,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
Meh, I don't see the big whoop on being bothered by people using their phones a lot more than they were 5-10 years ago. Technology has developed and phones are like mini-computers, and nothing wrong with being able to connect digitally.
I find it much more comfortable to stay in touch with my friends digitally than have to call/see them all the time.

I think things are pretty cool now. Nothing is ever perfect, but I'm glad that things are how they are and I'm curious as to what the next years will bring. I'm not in a place to complain, I feel pretty privileged.
pockybot
I think a lot of us would laugh when people would say "back in my day..."...but even a lot of my twenty something friends I notice have been saying how things in life seemed better just 5-8 short years ago. That while it's amazing to have gender equality, LGBTQ rights, worker rights, environment at the forefront of discussion...that other things in society seem like they've gotten...well, lamer. Lamenting not just the death of video stores, arcades, and people talking on the phone...just the walk n' text smart phone zombie phenomenom, facebook zombie'ism,
hipster bro mainstream culture, pop culture in general and the endless remakes/reboots/sequels in cinema...

I remember in the glory days of Gaia(2003-2006) that yes, we had Bush and torture and wars and all that...but things seemed amazing. Livejournal, easier to meet and make friends online, even myspace as embarrassing as it was represented a certain time. The post HD smart phone blu ray hashtag world seems so artificial and alien

Liberals are running out of big things to hate, so they feel nostalgic towards the Bush years where they could have as many Two Minute Hates as they wanted and not look totally ridiculous. Now we're getting more outrage at stupid things.

Liberals just can't feel totally fulfilled unless they have a worthy Other to hate. But Liberals have been so successful, especially in the Obama years, that they've run out of good opponents. At least for now.

I suspect if Liberals get their way they could have trouble with Islam, and other foreign influences they welcome in just to spite their sorta conservative neighbors. "Take that, Farmer Joe! You weren't totally enthusiastic about gays, so to get back at you we've let in a bunch of Sheiks from places like Somalia! Take that! What did you say? The Nigerians put gays to death? And now there's enough of them voting that Africans are taking over the legislature? Well, er, at least I took you down with me, Farmer Joe, you homophobic bigot. I hope they cut your head off first. That will make me happy, at least until they cut mine off..."

Quote:

Since 2011, some first world countries have been considering or implementing laws that limit or prohibit general budget support to countries that restrict the rights of homosexuals.[3] In spite of this, many African countries have refused to consider increasing LGBT rights,[4] and in some cases have drafted laws to increase sanctions against LGBT people.[5] Many African leaders feel that gay rights are against their cultural and religious value systems and believe they have a sovereign right to reject what they see as an imposition by mainly Western nations, which attempts to affect national sentiment via aid.[6][7][8][9]

In Mauritania, Sudan, and northern Nigeria, homosexuality is punishable by death. In Uganda, Tanzania, and Sierra Leone, offenders can receive life imprisonment for homosexual acts. In addition to criminalizing homosexuality, Nigeria has enacted legislation that would make it illegal for straight family members, allies and friends of the LGBT to be supportive. According to Nigerian law, a straight ally “who administers, witnesses, abets or aids” any form of gender non-conforming and homosexual activity could receive a 10-year jail sentence.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Africa

By all means, Liberals, keep shooting yourselves in the foot by welcoming all these homophobic foreigners. At least you'll be pissing off your homophobe American neighbors!

Quote:

1. Anyone else feel kind of dismayed by this current snapshot of time?

2. Anyone else, be it fond memories of early Gaia or the general early-mid-late 2000's appreciate the recent past a little more?

1 - Yes, because of where it suggests things are headed.

2 - I appreciate the less recent past more.

Tipsy Smoker

Holidazed
Chahklet
Holidazed

Well yeah me too XD

But the world doesnt care about that the world only cares about progress and most likely the world will be much better off a hundred years after we're both dead.

And death shouldnt be scary for you. One second after your death will be no different then one second before you were concieved. XD
It's scary to think of non existance. No more thoughts. No more awareness. No more anything.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Chahklet
Holidazed
Chahklet
Holidazed

Well yeah me too XD

It's scary to think of non existance. No more thoughts. No more awareness. No more anything.

Is 1865 or 1932 scary to you?
most likely not.
a day after youre dead will be no different. You can be sad about not existing but dont be scared.

Tipsy Smoker

Holidazed
Chahklet
Holidazed
Chahklet
Holidazed

Well yeah me too XD

Is 1865 or 1932 scary to you?
most likely not.
a day after youre dead will be no different. You can be sad about not existing but dont be scared.
Uhm of course I won't be scared when I'm actually dead.... I guess I'm not understanding your point. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff