Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Admirer

So, recently this ALS Ice Bucket Challenge thing came up as yet another social media buzz. Very similar to the "No Make-Up Selfie" thing from 2013, in the sense that it is supposed to raise money for a disease - yet few people are doing the challenge because of that.

Here's the thing: Pretty much everyone is doing this because it's yet another one of those "nomination" fads. They say they are donating money - but are they? Highly unlikely.

I recently made it clear that I was not going to participate in the challenge in any way. I made my reasons clear - first off, because it is a ridiculous form of getting "likes" by using the name of a charitable organization. Secondly, because I do not support any form of testing on animals - even if it is for human research. I recently found out that ALS does test on animals. If I were to support them, I would be a hypocrite and a half.

Of course, I had regrets in posting this... less than five minutes after posting, I got several angry comments. Was my opinion so radical? Can I not advocate for efficient, humane research methods on cures for disease?

I'm also very curious as to how this weird campaign got started in the first place...

EDIT: one of those angry commenters even keeps harassing me on this issue, saying "embarrassed to admit you're wrong?" ... Really? I was stating my opinion, not trying to start an argument. Fact is, my post turned into two grossly opinionated individuals trying to start an argument with me. This is why I hate Facebook -_-
Maybe before you say that people probably aren't donating, should check.

Also, I fully support animal testing for cures. How do you suggest we test cures if not on animals?

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I'll agree that it does have a "slacktivism" vibe that I don't much care for, but according to this it has actually raised a lot of money - if we judge it solely on whether it has successfully raised donations, it does appear to have been a success.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
x-Garethp-x

Also, I fully support animal testing for cures. How do you suggest we test cures if not on animals?

Ah, beat me to it!
catspook
x-Garethp-x

Ah, beat me to it!

It feels good smile

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

Ah, beat me to it!

It feels good smile

razz
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

Ah, beat me to it!

It feels good smile

razz

Have you seen the video of Charlie Sheen doing the challenge?

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

Ah, beat me to it!

It feels good smile

razz

No - I've been steering clear of the whole thing. The only one I watched was Tom Hiddleston's because: Tom Hiddleston.
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

Ah, beat me to it!

It feels good smile

razz

No - I've been steering clear of the whole thing. The only one I watched was Tom Hiddleston's because: Tom Hiddleston.

Fair enough. I thought it was good. In so far as other ways to measure success, I showed the Charlie Sheen video to my officeworkers, who then asked what the point of it was. I explained and it went into all of us spending half an hour reading sites because we didn't know what ALS was in the first place. So not only is it raising money, but more people are learning about ALS as a whole this way

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

It feels good smile

razz

Fair enough. I thought it was good. In so far as other ways to measure success, I showed the Charlie Sheen video to my officeworkers, who then asked what the point of it was. I explained and it went into all of us spending half an hour reading sites because we didn't know what ALS was in the first place. So not only is it raising money, but more people are learning about ALS as a whole this way

Ah, that is a good point. I've known what it was for a while now, so that didn't really occur to me - I just assumed everyone knew about it because of Lou Gehrig.
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

It feels good smile

razz

Ah, that is a good point. I've known what it was for a while now, so that didn't really occur to me - I just assumed everyone knew about it because of Lou Gehrig.

I... don't even know who that is. I looked him up. We're not really Baseball players down here in Australia, and even if we were, I doubt we'd know who an American Baseball Player *is*. The point is, these "slacktavism" things that people call pointless isn't about fixing something right away. It's about bringing awareness to something. Last night thanks to a funny video six people learned about ALS and how it affects people's lives. And that was one view. And I'd bet that future ALS donations will stay higher than they were before, from the simple fact that now more people know about it. It might not help directly, but awareness helps in the long term
The hipsters have turned against the latest fad.

Oh gee, no one ever could have seen this coming.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

I... don't even know who that is. I looked him up. We're not really Baseball players down here in Australia, and even if we were, I doubt we'd know who an American Baseball Player *is*. The point is, these "slacktavism" things that people call pointless isn't about fixing something right away. It's about bringing awareness to something. Last night thanks to a funny video six people learned about ALS and how it affects people's lives. And that was one view. And I'd bet that future ALS donations will stay higher than they were before, from the simple fact that now more people know about it. It might not help directly, but awareness helps in the long term

*facepalm* I should have considered the international issue as well, apologies.

If the campaign is achieving what it was meant to do (and it appears that it is), I won't argue with the method. I did not mean to be insulting with my earlier comment, but these types of campaigns have not always been helpful, and even when they are, there is a certain attitude that springs up among some people where they feel as if they have done some great heroic deed (and that people who choose not to participate are horrible people) which is why I tend to avoid them.
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x
catspook
x-Garethp-x

*facepalm* I should have considered the international issue as well, apologies.

If the campaign is achieving what it was meant to do (and it appears that it is), I won't argue with the method. I did not mean to be insulting with my earlier comment, but these types of campaigns have not always been helpful, and even when they are, there is a certain attitude that springs up among some people where they feel as if they have done some great heroic deed (and that people who choose not to participate are horrible people) which is why I tend to avoid them.

Heh, that's cool. Sometimes we all live in our own little world. I often forget that my wife (American) grew up in a country where going to the doctor costs money

I get what you mean. A lot of them just turn into circlejerks. Kony 2012 in particular... But no, I'd look into this one if I were you. It seems to be a lot less circle jerky and more humorous/good natured. Look up Charlie Sheens one, it's worth 15 seconds of your time at least (He's ******** Charlie Sheen, of course it is)
It's interesting how people don't support animal testing and yet use multiple products that have taken advantage of this method...and then they eat meat.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff