Welcome to Gaia! ::

eiji_panda13

I was referring to the generalizations you made about teen moms ending up on welfare and continuing to have kids and be jobless and bad parents

And most teen mothers probably don't have to live on their own and provide for their child. Many have families that provide some financial support as well as emotional support and caregiving.

And I'm not going to pretend that having a child at a young age doesn't put you at a disadvantage, but the way you worded your post implied that all teen moms would end up as failures and wouldn't amount to anything.

I value the study you provided, but the population size for the study, based on what I saw was 9000 teens. I don't think that is a large enough sample to put all teen mothers in one category and judge their lives

Actually, you may have missed some of the words this person used that clarify she (EDIT: or he, sorry for assuming sweatdrop ) is not talking about ALL teen mothers. I'm going to repost what she (or he) said.
victor gusta queso
People that start having their children in their teens are usually the ones that end up jobless and on welfare because they can't support their families but they keep having children none the less. Not that I'm saying this is what you're going to do, but it is what usually happens when people start having babies before they have a stable career path.

I don't mean to be intrusive, but I honestly think this was a case of miscommunication. You seemed to get upset at this person for making a statement about all teen mothers, when really they never said all. c: I can see how you missed the word "usually", though, and if you're still annoyed by the statement then that's up to you. Just wanted to highlight the point to see if it helps to clarify things.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
srsly idgaf
I don't know how to feel about this. Because I think I'm in the same situation as you are. 17 and pregnant ( I think ) . I feel like I'm getting pregnant because the way me and my bf makeout is almost like sex , but isn't. Lets just say I feel like a moron because even without a condom, and you have your panties on, (thinking that you wont get pregnant) the sperm will go through the panties and enter your uterus. Which happened to me yesterday. And I have a doctors appointment on Monday. I don't think I'm ready to handle this responsibility.
But since you feel pregnant , don't you feel as if no one (friends, acquaintances ) don't even really care about you?

If you think you can get pregnant from making out, you are to immature to be having sex. Just saying.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Cynical Optimist
eiji_panda13

I was referring to the generalizations you made about teen moms ending up on welfare and continuing to have kids and be jobless and bad parents

And most teen mothers probably don't have to live on their own and provide for their child. Many have families that provide some financial support as well as emotional support and caregiving.

And I'm not going to pretend that having a child at a young age doesn't put you at a disadvantage, but the way you worded your post implied that all teen moms would end up as failures and wouldn't amount to anything.

I value the study you provided, but the population size for the study, based on what I saw was 9000 teens. I don't think that is a large enough sample to put all teen mothers in one category and judge their lives

Actually, you may have missed some of the words this person used that clarify she (EDIT: or he, sorry for assuming sweatdrop ) is not talking about ALL teen mothers. I'm going to repost what she (or he) said.
victor gusta queso
People that start having their children in their teens are usually the ones that end up jobless and on welfare because they can't support their families but they keep having children none the less. Not that I'm saying this is what you're going to do, but it is what usually happens when people start having babies before they have a stable career path.

I don't mean to be intrusive, but I honestly think this was a case of miscommunication. You seemed to get upset at this person for making a statement about all teen mothers, when really they never said all. c: I can see how you missed the word "usually", though, and if you're still annoyed by the statement then that's up to you. Just wanted to highlight the point to see if it helps to clarify things.

Hah, thanks. I think she just feels strongly about the subject and jumped to a defensive position. Also, I do think that I'm correct in what I said, I saw some essays, but I'm too lazy right now to look them up, sorry.

Shy Humorist

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Getting pregnant before you get your high school diploma emotion_eyebrow yeah I look down on teenage pregancy because Id have a fit if I had a daughter who came home pregnant and my parents would have a fit if I knocked up some chick..so its nothing personal its just the way I was rasied

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
srsly idgaf
I don't know how to feel about this. Because I think I'm in the same situation as you are. 17 and pregnant ( I think ) . I feel like I'm getting pregnant because the way me and my bf makeout is almost like sex , but isn't. Lets just say I feel like a moron because even without a condom, and you have your panties on, (thinking that you wont get pregnant) the sperm will go through the panties and enter your uterus. Which happened to me yesterday. And I have a doctors appointment on Monday. I don't think I'm ready to handle this responsibility.
But since you feel pregnant , don't you feel as if no one (friends, acquaintances ) don't even really care about you?

Um... Odds of sperm going through your panties and fertilizing an egg are like, ridiculously low.

7,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Why fret about popping babies early when we have longer lives now? There are plenty of older mothers who've had healthy babies so your "Older mothers produce defectives" argument is null.

Lovey-girly's Fangirl

Invisible Seeker

38,315 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
You may not be a "terrible, horrible, unfit parent" just because of how young you are BUT- and this is the most important albeit annoying aspect of the matter- many girls who ARE your age with children ARE terrible, horrible and very unfit and unfairly or not you and other girls your age will be unduly judged because of this.

Unfair? Oh, massively. Just like it is unfair for everyone out there being judged unfairly for whatever reason. Myself, I get tired of getting judged unfairly for being an introvert (among other things that goes against societal roles); it's just part and parcel of this sometimes shitty world. Being judgmental is just part of human nature; we all do it at times towards others- the defining detail is whether one tries to overcome it and recognizes what they are doing or just goes with it and let their illogical judgment get the better of them.

I congratulate you for having your s**t together and trying your best for the kid you have. That's nice; instead of focusing on what other people think just pour all your attention into your child. I know it is a lot harder to do that than to say it but how your child is raised will put any hater's in their place whether they want to admit it or not.
I have friends who are both fathers and mothers of children that they had in their teens.

It's a really tough road to go down, and it's not something that I would ever really encourage. I would discourage the idea completely with my own children if I had them. However I would never excommunicate my own flesh and blood, I think that is wrong.

On the flip-side I'd expect my child to work and take care of the child, if they couldn't I would encourage them to give it to the state, regardless.

I really don't want to have children for a least ten years, and when I do I really want to make sure that it's what I want with my life. I wouldn't get involved with a woman who had a child, regardless if she was a teen mother, or a mother my age.

Children are just... Not me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces