Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey, it's been a while since I posted here, but I always come back every now and then. Now, before I start, if you're a militant vegitarian about to preach how meat is murder, kindly sod off, I don't want your moral dilemnas or your emotional blackmail. Go on... leave... is he gone? Good, I hate that guy.

Anyway, I've been having a really weird aversion to meat recently. I'm quite the carnivore normally, I enjoy most meats, although I'm not a fan of lamb and don't like really fatty meats. I would have a meat based meal every meal normally but I still ate a relatively balanced diet.

Recently I've become put off of meat. I'm not easily put off my food, I even worked in an abattoir for a while as a hygiene operative, and if cleaning up the blood, guts and faeces of freshly slaughtered animals didn't put me off meat I thought nothing would.

It started a couple of weaks ago, I started becoming really picky on what kind of sausages or burgers I would eat, and started to find most of them unpleasant in flavour. Then it became proper cuts of meat. Beef, lamb and turkey are all tasting odd to me now, and not in a good way. I wasn't overly bothered by this, as I tend to eat mainly pork and chicken anyway. The past few days however ham has started tasting really strange, as though it's going off and the real kick in the teeth was yesterday when I had a bacon sandwitch and the bacon tasted bad. It's weird though because it all still smells great, and looking at it doesn't put me off like it does most people who become adverse to meat, it's only after I start eating it and realise "this tastes awful".

My favourite foods are sweet pork and pepperoni pizza, fried chicken and gammon steaks. I'm afraid to eat them in case I find I don't like them anymore.

The thing is, first of all I'm a guy so I can't be pregnant (which all the websites say is the biggest cause of meat aversion), I recently had tests at the hospital about a kidney infection so I know it's not a thyroid issue (they tested it, it's fine), and I very much doubt someones poisoning me with belladona. So that's all the medical things covered.

Cut short.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing a sudden aversion to meat?
How would you cope with the change of diet?
And, What the hell do I eat if I find meat unpleasant to eat?
I have been experiencing exactly the same thing! When I eat vegetables, it's actually enjoyable to do, and I can really feel the energy from it. But eating meat lately has felt like.. A chore. Something that I don't really enjoy but I eat it anyway because it's there. I don't know. Maybe I'm just insane.
Dostya
Pregnancy

I'm a guy!

Did you even read the post.
TornadoCreator
Dostya
Pregnancy

I'm a guy!

Sure.
You ruled out the other possibilities and I didn't see any mention of your sex.

Edit: Oh. Did you edit it in?
Enchantingly Unexplained
I have been experiencing exactly the same thing! When I eat vegetables, it's actually enjoyable to do, and I can really feel the energy from it. But eating meat lately has felt like.. A chore. Something that I don't really enjoy but I eat it anyway because it's there. I don't know. Maybe I'm just insane.

I get the same thing, but I've always enjoyed my veg. I have (or at least had) quite a balanced diet. It's weird but I've started really enjoying cheese and potato more recently. I could eat mash potato and pasta with cheese sause all day. Odd really. Maybe tastes are simply changing.
Dostya
TornadoCreator
Dostya
Pregnancy

I'm a guy!

Sure.
You ruled out the other possibilities and I didn't see any mention of your sex.

O rly?

TornadoCreator
The thing is, first of all I'm a guy so I can't be pregnant (which all the websites say is the biggest cause of meat aversion)

....so, obviously I forgot to mention it.... clearly.
Dostya

No I didn't. You just fail at reading.
TornadoCreator
Dostya

Nice left hook. May I retort by referring to the title of this forum and how it is not Lifestyle Discussion.
Dostya
TornadoCreator
Dostya

Nice left hook. May I retort by referring to the title of this forum and how it is not Lifestyle Discussion.

And if I wanted to discuss recipies for a new quiche I'd go there, but as I'd rather discuss this topic (with a little more depth than the amoeba in General Discussion and their one word responses) it logically belongs here. I want to discuss meat aversion, how people would handle it, what could be causing it etc. Perhaps someone here knows of a specific thing I may have done/caught/injured/swallowed/looked at funny that could have changed my tastes rapidly, or has a similar story and would like to share... either way it is a topic for discussion which isn't another moronic argument about religion or politics where no-one changes their mind. I'm sorry if you feel it doesn't belong, but you don't have to take part you know.
TornadoCreator
Dostya
TornadoCreator
Dostya

And if I wanted to discuss recipies for a new quiche I'd go there, but as I'd rather discuss this topic (with a little more depth than the amoeba in General Discussion and their one word responses) it logically belongs here. I want to discuss meat aversion, how people would handle it, what could be causing it etc. Perhaps someone here knows of a specific thing I may have done/caught/injured/swallowed/looked at funny that could have changed my tastes rapidly, or has a similar story and would like to share... either way it is a topic for discussion which isn't another moronic argument about religion or politics where no-one changes their mind. I'm sorry if you feel it doesn't belong, but you don't have to take part you know.

There's no discussion, only a survey-like question to answer. I believe it could be oversaturation of protein or iron but I'm not an expert. Perhaps bad things have happened around you when eating meat. Go ask a doctor. Really.
intrests and tastes change. i only trecently discovered my intense love/obsession with mandarin oranges which i never ate before cuz i thought it was gross.

Its how we work. we change all the time
Tastes change, just the way it goes. I used to hate most veggies and fish but I love them now and I'm not into meat as much as I used to be. As for what you can eat instead, try tofu. I love it stir fired with veggies and a mix of soy sauce, ponzu sauce, tamari, garlic, ginger and a bit of sesame oil, all over a small bed of rice.

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The fact that it seems so sudden is a little odd. Must be one of those psychological pathologies I have no idea about. I don't know, have you been nervous and such lately? Things happening? I guess that always creates some sorts of "traumas".

I think you could try going to a very good quality restaurant if you can afford it and try their most meaty stuff. Perhaps what you need is some quality rediscovery of meat?
Maybe it just has to do with a change in taste due to aging. In my teenage years and early twenties, I used to love hot and spicy food. While I still enjoy it, I don't crave it like I used to and I sometimes prefer milder things. That said, I am one of those people with an aversion to meat. I have not barely even been able to look at it since I was a baby. That only goes for the red meats though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff