Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

Exoth XIII

They are not legally required to, but they do it anyway.

That's cute how naive you are about this. It really is.

Anyone else want to tell him about Freeman vs. Ferguson, or should I?

Dangerous Lunatic

1,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle: Rogue 100
As an actual 911 worker (EMT) police are pretty much completely unnecessary on 90% of the calls I respond to. I would be flabbergasted if I came to a cardiac arrest and saw a police officer doing chest compressions.
Susejo
As an actual 911 worker (EMT) police are pretty much completely unnecessary on 90% of the calls I respond to. I would be flabbergasted if I came to a cardiac arrest and saw a police officer doing chest compressions.

On a code? Yes, they're probably not going to do much. On an MVC? ******** that, I want PD on scene. Any kind of assault? I want PD on scene. On a fire call? I want PD on scene. Psychiatric patient? I want PD on scene. They're useful in any myriad of ways. I can't even force entry into a structure for a patient down unless it's a fire call without PD on scene.

Your system apparently just needs to utilize them better.
Well if 911 is so useless, we should get rid of it. let's see how that works.

Dapper Dabbler

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
if they arent going to respond, do i have the right to defend my property and livelihood with lethal force if necessary?

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
GunsmithKitten
Exoth XIII

Well, here we were talking about checking up on hang up calls, not protection in domestic disputes. I have frequently seen police checking up on hang ups, I haven't seen enough domestic disturbances to comment on that. (The case you cite seems exceptional to me; not every wifebeater is friends with the police chief.)

Aged Lunatic

Exoth XIII
GunsmithKitten
Exoth XIII

Well, here we were talking about checking up on hang up calls, not protection in domestic disputes. I have frequently seen police checking up on hang ups, I haven't seen enough domestic disturbances to comment on that. (The case you cite seems exceptional to me; not every wifebeater is friends with the police chief.)

Not entirely the point; the point is, that the police chief and his charges did what they did and got off scot free for it. Our legal system allows the police to ignore us in the most blatant of ways with no reprecussions. Hence why I say when it comes to your protection, it's all you and only you. Noone else unless you ponied up the cash for an actual bodyguard service.

Aged Lunatic

Metroid Dread
if they arent going to respond, do i have the right to defend my property and livelihood with lethal force if necessary?

Depends on your state's laws regarding lethal force.
Exoth XIII
GunsmithKitten
Exoth XIII

Nothing is exceptional in Gunsmith's world. As far as she's concerned there is a conspiracy on the level of Assassins Creed Templars dedicated to hunting down, raping and murdering each and every redheaded lesbian with an interest in firearms.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
GunsmithKitten
Exoth XIII
GunsmithKitten
Exoth XIII

Not entirely the point; the point is, that the police chief and his charges did what they did and got off scot free for it. Our legal system allows the police to ignore us in the most blatant of ways with no reprecussions. Hence why I say when it comes to your protection, it's all you and only you. Noone else unless you ponied up the cash for an actual bodyguard service.

Which is why I also said your best defense is to use your head.
I've been in Philly, New York City, Atlantic City, and a few other places. The best defense against attackers is to not look like a victim. Don't wear or flash anything valuable, hold yourself with confidence, and be aware of your surroundings. If you don't look like easy pickin's, they usually won't bother.
Warren vs DC

boom
God Emperor Akhenaton
Of course I trust 911. German engineering is reliable and superior to American engineering...

I thought Porsches were Italian?
deadroosters
God Emperor Akhenaton
Of course I trust 911. German engineering is reliable and superior to American engineering...

WHAT?! Heretic! Infidel! Heathen!

Na, just kidding. Lamborghini and apparently Ferrari are Italian, Porsche is not.
deadroosters
God Emperor Akhenaton

Sie Ficker
Metroid Dread

They would respond if the caller was in such a situation where they had to defend their life. From what I read from the article, they are responding to situations where someone is in danger or the suspect is still on the scene. It's really just helping not waste their time, since they really can't do much for you in the situations listed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff