Welcome to Gaia! ::

This problem occurs because an unfortunate piece of misinformation. 911 isn't the Police phone number just like all of 911's contemporaries in other countries, the police has a series of separate phone lines for different things. 911 is an emergency line, and in comparison to the fire dept and the ambulance services the police aren't often called in an emergency.

You do not call 911 to tell the police you've been robbed because that ties up resources that might prevent the police (or other emergency services) from responding to an actual emergency situation.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Belle von Hellbond
Suicidesoldier#1
I trust the police to handle the situation in a given time frame, but immediately, no, not at all.

Even assuming they got to my place in 2 minutes if there's a guy with a gun I mean, it's only a few seconds that's needed to get me, I mean right? O_o

Police are actually quite quick. I was on the roof of my house about to jump off and I had called my friend. The cops showed up just in time to stop me Saved my life that day. I am pretty sure there is a sort of priority system, kind of like flagging an email, but more efficient.

I'm happy that worked out for you but as others have said - response time really varies depending on where you live, where and how many cops typically patrol and the luck of the draw as to where they are and what they are doing when you happen to call.

There are things that affect the averages though. I live in the country where a limited number of deputy sheriffs have to cover a lot of miles of roads. Unless I got really lucky I estimate AT LEAST a 15 minute wait if I call 911. For some things that's not too bad but if the some thing happens to be an intruder in my home who either came to kill me or is willing to do so because I discovered him then 15 minutes is forever. Hence while I would still call 911 I am also armed.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Old Blue Collar Joe
All I was talking about is this idiotic belief that when you call 911 for ANY reason (remember, they have already been legally cleared of a 'duty' to protect. They can literally not do a damn thing and it is perfectly fine.) that the police will show up.
Nor is there a 'standard response time' listed on what they consider critical emergencies.
Now...those of you who wish to blindly trust them and expect almost a Minority Report type speed of police arrival, go for it.
As the running comment goes, you can order a pizza and a cop at the same time and usually get even money on which gets there first.

Joe, you are making things a bit too "for you or against you black and white' and being a bit melodramatic. Several of us pointed out why those response stats might be skewed by other factors including calls that didn't merit a roll out. Pointing out those things does not mean we 'blindly trust' 911 or believe in a fictional scenario from a SCI-FI movie. Intelligent debate doesn't necessarily mean the one debating thinks 100% of what the other guy said is hooey.

I have a sort of related question. Do you or anyone reading this know of a brand of house phone where you can turn off the beep when you press numbers? Most folks with house phones have cordless handsets these days. Mine beep when you press numbers which would be annoying if I was trying to secretly dial 911 without alerting my intruder. I can turn that down a bit but it affects other stuff. And ironically when you are adjusting volume that beeps too. For my next phone I've thought about trying to find one where I can just mute the beeps. Don't need them anyway - I can see the numbers show up on the display. Anyone had any luck with that?

7,600 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
GunsmithKitten
Belle von Hellbond
Suicidesoldier#1
I trust the police to handle the situation in a given time frame, but immediately, no, not at all.

Even assuming they got to my place in 2 minutes if there's a guy with a gun I mean, it's only a few seconds that's needed to get me, I mean right? O_o

Police are actually quite quick. I was on the roof of my house about to jump off and I had called my friend. The cops showed up just in time to stop me Saved my life that day. I am pretty sure there is a sort of priority system, kind of like flagging an email, but more efficient.

Where do you live, specifically? Is it rural or urban?

A suburb with a really low crime rate, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Old Blue Collar Joe
Chicago determining not to reply to more 911 calls.

The key point of it?

Quote:
McCarthy said Chicago police respond to 70 percent of 911 calls, compared to 30 to 50 percent in other cities.

So, as the courts have already stated, law enforcement doesn't have a legal obligation to protect you.
This just solidifies it. In other areas they claim 50% or less 911 response to the scene? And they wonder why some of us choose to own.

I'm'a call bullshit on this one. What do you mean by "respond?" Do you mean sending a cop?
Not every call to 911 requires a cop at the scene.

But don't worry, if you really wanna have a semiautomatic rifle to keep them damn skateboarders off your sidewalk, you can still have it, as long as you can peg him in 10 shots or less.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Belle von Hellbond
GunsmithKitten
Belle von Hellbond
Suicidesoldier#1

A suburb with a really low crime rate, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

biggrin
That is awesome. So what, they got their in time to save you from a really bad sprain? That is pretty impressive.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Old Blue Collar Joe
All I was talking about is this idiotic belief that when you call 911 for ANY reason that the police will show up.
Nor is there a 'standard response time' listed on what they consider critical emergencies.

I think that stems from the fact that they have to send someone to check up on a hang up call. They do have to do that, y'know, if you call, and hang up when they answer.
Exoth XIII
Old Blue Collar Joe

The key point of it?

Quote:
McCarthy said Chicago police respond to 70 percent of 911 calls, compared to 30 to 50 percent in other cities.

So, as the courts have already stated, law enforcement doesn't have a legal obligation to protect you.
This just solidifies it. In other areas they claim 50% or less 911 response to the scene? And they wonder why some of us choose to own.

I'm'a call bullshit on this one. What do you mean by "respond?" Do you mean sending a cop?

But don't worry, if you really wanna have a semiautomatic rifle to keep them damn skateboarders off your sidewalk, you can still have it, as long as you can peg him in 10 shots or less.

That's so cute. Too bad there is no requirement they protect.
Exoth XIII
Old Blue Collar Joe
All I was talking about is this idiotic belief that when you call 911 for ANY reason that the police will show up.

I think that stems from the fact that they have to send someone to check up on a hang up call. They do have to do that, y'know, if you call, and hang up when they answer.

No they don't. They may do it, but, as I posted above this, they are not actually required to do s**t.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Old Blue Collar Joe
Exoth XIII
Old Blue Collar Joe

The key point of it?

Quote:

That's so cute. Too bad there is no requirement they protect.

I'm not even going to click the link. Know why?
Think about it. Those rare times when you NEED police protection, and you need it fast, how, praytell, are you to contact them?
If someone has a gun to your face, are you gonna whip out an iphone on them?
Your best shot is to use your brain. Someone puts a gun to your head and demands your wallet, just give him the wallet.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Old Blue Collar Joe
Exoth XIII
Old Blue Collar Joe

No they don't. They may do it, but, as I posted above this, they are not actually required to do s**t.

They are not legally required to, but they do it anyway. Happens all the damn time. They're pretty diligent at that.
Sometimes, calls to the Emergency Line are not emergencies. Just crimes in a stable past tense.

7,600 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Exoth XIII
Belle von Hellbond
GunsmithKitten
Belle von Hellbond
Suicidesoldier#1

biggrin
That is awesome. So what, they got their in time to save you from a really bad sprain? That is pretty impressive.

Maybe you missed the part about "saving my life that day." But yes They did get there really quickly.

Buggy Mage

I think the quote that sums that up the best is,"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Old Blue Collar Joe

The key point of it?

Quote:

rolleyes Joe, did you not read the article. It does not say AT ALL that PD will not be responding to 911 calls. It says that they will not respond immediately if it's a crime like a burglary or theft in which the suspect is no longer there and the victim is no longer in danger. Personally if someone was BREAKING into my house and I called 911 and someone else called because someone had stolen something from their open garage hours ago, I think I'd like to know my call gets priority. Chicago has a lot of 911 calls. You know what would solve this problem? Hiring more officers. BUT OH NOES THAT WOULD REQUIRE RAISING TAXES that you hate so much.

You and Gunsmith sure like to tote that ruling around like it's some kind of victory for your argument, but it seems neither of you has a strong grasp on it. It states an officer of the law's primary duty is to uphold the law. And guess what many laws are there for? Oh, to protect the citizenry. So rape or murder are crimes, which means that by law the officer is forced to uphold the law that states you cannot rape or murder someone, which means that he or she is legally obligated to stop its commission. Therefore you and Gunsmith quailing about how they don't have to protect you is really just fear mongering because you don't understand what the ruling stated.

Yes, Joe, because not all 911 calls are calls for PD. You know who else is part of the 911 system? EMS. You know who else? Fire. Meaning that Chicago police officers are probably responding to A LOT of calls that are not directly PD related but are there as mutual aid, such as 911 calls for MVCs, 911 calls for persons down, 911 calls for house fires, vehicle fires etc, or are responding in conjunction to calls that require both PD and Fire Rescue, so dead bodies, shootings, stabbings, assaults, etc.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff