Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pitbulls?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 4, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

I just wanna say that a close friend of mine has a pitbull and it is one of the most gentlest dogs I've met it all depends on 2 factors
#1: How it was trained if it was trained as a guard dog it's gonna act like a guard dog
#2: How the person reacts to it if you come off trying to intimmidate it then it's not one of the breeds that will backdown easy if it is intimmidated it's gonna fight but if you treat it like you would a Golden Retriver you SHOULD not have any problems.

Eloquent Fatcat

7,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I have a pit bull, and she's the sweetest animal in my home. She isn't vicious, and she doesn't attack 3 year olds. You're basing your facts on incidents in which pit bulls have attacked people, but any dog has the power to do that.

It's the owner's fault if a dog attacks someone, not the dog's.
PenGina
I like pitbulls, well, actuallly, I love them! They are so cute and so loyal (and as you can see, I am not making a biased decision) but I have to say, once they attack a three year old boy they just have to go! What is more important? The well being of humanity or keeping the dog but having the risk of others being bitten as well as yourself. Do people protest to make lions, tigers, cheetahs, bears, or leopards permitted in their homes? Why is it so different for pitbulls? I do love them, I don't have a dog, but I don't want to be attacked by one.

My second point: are people ignorant if they wish to keep a pitbull as a pet? I do think so because they aren't regarding the safety of the community. But then again, the owner's children probably don't want to get rid of their ever faithful pitbull so, petitioning isn't an ignorant thing to do....

It's nonsense to say this. When a black guy shoots a kid, we don't say all black people have to go, right? It's rascism and generalisation. Pitbulls can be dangerous, but only certain ones. Well raised dogs don't hurt a fly.
umm.. pitbulls can be trained and if they are socialized young they are nice.. mean dog aren't born they are made.. by dumb people who don't know how to care for them.. and after they bite someone they can still be trained it is just a matter of being the dominant one and not letting them pull you around.. it isn't hard to retrain a dog
any dog can attack a child or adult... you just hear about pittbulls the most. I work for a grommer and have seen many kind of dogs but the pittbulls i've been with were nice ( it's the little doges that were visious )

It's all most all about how the dog is raised.. but pitbulls were orgionly raised to fight. and so their genes reflect that. they only breed that man dogs making the bloodline strong with 'mean dog blood' so to speek.

there are other dogs that are just as nasty as pittbulls can be. we just don't hear about it. when ppl stop wanting to illigaly fight dogs then the breed as a whole will get better.

Wealthy Ladykiller

8,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
it really all depends on how that pet is raised. When I was little,my aunt had two Huskeys (which are said to be vicious because they are part wolf, plus they're really big.. lol) but they were the sweetest things ever! I mean, they were so big, they could have eaten me whole, (lol) but they were like two giant teddy bears because they were raised around children and treated properly.

Besides, what gives humans the right to exterminate another species because they have become a neusince to us? Especially after all the damage we have done to the Earth's wildlife? We're not the only creatures on this planet, and frankly humans haven't been around all that long, so it's not like we OWN the planet.. besides, if we didn't have the learning capacity we have, our species wouldn't even exist! I mean, come on, we just arn't built to survive in the wilderness against all those preditors.. ninja
Pits are known as mean dogs and always will be unless it changes.
People are not ignorant to have one as a pet. They are only ignorant if they are not caucious to how the dog could act and if they treat it bad.
I know a few people with Pits as pets. Their pets seem very nice and have not caused any violent trouble as of yet. My cats seem to be very safe around the dog. When owning one you should always have a breaker bar handy. Also, the dog should always be walked on a leash when outside or have the dog gated in the yard.

Feral Sex Symbol

I own a pitbull and shes never attacked anything. Also might i add she is terrified of kittens
If a dog has a poor temperment and attacks someone, then it should be put down.

However, it is perfectly possible to have a well behaved pitbull. It all comes down to how the dog is treated and trained.
As someone who has actually owned several pits, has children, and who's family has bred pits, I think I should throw my 2 cents in.

Pit bull is NOT a breed of dog. Pit bull is a blanket term for "fighting dogs." And fighting dogs can be MANY different breeds and mutts depending on your local legislature.

The breeds that are most often times associated with the term pit bull, is bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, American Bulldogs, Boxer-mixes, and many other mix/mutt breeds.

The most COMMON breed out of those I just listed which is associated with the term pit bull, is the American Staffordshire terrier. If you Google up an image of it, you will see that it is the dog most commonly associated with pit bulls.

Now, AmStaffs are actually an AKC registered breed. They have a gentle disposition and are highly regarded dogs.

Your mutt/mix-breeds are generally the same. No dog is born aggressive. They are made to become aggressive by iresponsible asshats who use a dog to make them feel more masculine or some crap.

If you actually look at dog bite statistics across the states, pit bull bites aren't even really that high. There are actually more bites cause by more common household dogs, like labradors and dachsunds!

I am also a parent of two toddlers. I have a 2 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. In all the times I have ever had a pit bull, my children have NEVER been bitten or growled at by our dog. Ever. Our dog is a gently play companion who just wants love and attention. She's not aggressive or mean.

My family has also bred these dogs for many years, and we've never had a problem with any of them.

ANY breed of dog can bite a child. And it is always very sad and tragic when it happens. And I agree, if ANY dog viciously bites a child, it should be put to sleep, but don't go around generalizing one specific type of dog when there are MANY other breeds who bite just as much (if not more), but don't get HALF the bad press.

Y'know, if the news sensationalized c**k-fighting as much as they do dog-fighting, all you people would probably be scared of "the evil" chickens too. Or if other dog breeds were scrutinized like pit bulls, then maybe we'd all be afraid of chihuahuas.

Bottom line is, pits are not inherently bad. It takes the most kind of horrendous torture to turn an otherwise gentle dog into the "killer" it is portrayed as. Those poor animals are put through sheer HELL on a daily basis. You'd be mean to if you were starved, made to wear painfully heavy chains, kept in a SMALL cage 22 hours out of the day, and your ONLY interaction was either forced fighting or some human beating you for not fighting better.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11454716/ <----some graphic content. Veiwer beware.
my boyfriend has 2 pitbulls, and I hope to adopt one when I get a house.

They are very sweet dogs and you have to work hard to make them mean.

These 2 pitbulls live with 2 cats and have no problems. They play with each other and everything.

Pit bulls were trained to fight dogs, yes, but they had a very strict system back in the day. They had rules, and despite popular belief, did not let the dogs fight to the death.

They first bathed the dogs in front of each other (to make sure no one cheated) and let them have a bout (not that I like it).

When they separated the dogs, the owners had to grab them to separate them. If the dog ever bit their master, they would be shot on the spot. This was how they sort of weeded out any people aggression.

which is why these dogs used to be a symbol for our country. They are loyal, smart, and courageous and would give you 110% of themselves.

The different breeds that pitbull covers should not be put to sleep, like the saying goes, "punish the deed, not the breed"

also, at adoption centers they tend to do temperment tests, most breeds pass at about 70% while pitbulls usually pass at about 93%. (I read this last year, so the numbers could have changed...but still, thats a remarkable thing)

Its the owner that makes the dog. All pit bulls need is basic training, and lots of exercise. Unless you are a very active person (they are terriers...they are very energetic...)and can be around the dog a lot (as they are very affectionate and are prone to lonliness) then a pitbull isn't for you.
badloki
long quote

3nodding
Anybody who knows anything about training animals knows there is no such thing as a "bad dog" only BAD OWNERS. Kill the people, too.
If a person attacked another person should they die? No of course not, you should help the person to fix their problem so they can live a good life and make this world a better place.
ehh its just a dog who cares sum eople train them to be vicious gaurd dogs and sum train them to be nice family pets but me well i've heard of animals attacking eople and other animals like in my neighborhood two rotwillers attacked a little baby shitsu and they were ut to sleep but the pitbull breed shou8ldnt be banned or anything because some people with dissabilities could have them as gaurd dogs and they would need them if sum1 were to tresspass or sumthing along that line

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff