Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lucky~9~Lives
logan the god of candy
So immoral laws stating what a licensed business can do may also determine what a business owner can want? Your stupidity has stepped into the realm of thoughtcrime.

Aside from you being a ******** retard, none of this has anything to do with legality of allowing women into the business, it has to do with a business owner stating that they would rather not have you there.

"I don't want you here" doesn't mean, "You can't come in."

What a licensed business may state is a subset of what a licensed business may do; "I don't want you here" - when uttered, and not merely thought - is an unwelcoming act.

Then that makes the law immoral, although it already was. I remember that chic-fil-a owner stating that he disagrees with gays on a moral level. He should go to jail, right?

Discrimination against business owners for their opinions. That's essentially equal to discrimination against religious people for their religious opinions. Or discrimination against transgender people for their thoughts and ideas on their gender.

People want to force businesses to let them onto their property and force them to trade items with them and then tell themselves that they are in the right for what is essentially trespassing and theft. It's equivalent to stealing a person's car and then leaving them a stack of money equal to what a bank said that it is worth.
logan the god of candy
People want to force businesses to let them onto their property and force them to trade items with them and then tell themselves that they are in the right for what is essentially trespassing and theft.

Maybe because the enforcement of those property rights comes from the taxes of those people; using public funds to protect one's business whilst simultaneously withholding that business from segments of the public is essentially despotism.
logan the god of candy

So immoral laws stating what a licensed business can do may also determine what a business owner can want? Your stupidity has stepped into the realm of thought crime.

He could make all this go away; register himself as a private club, then BOOM, he can't be touched legally or otherwise. He can have whatever he wants. The law will already accommodate this guy and his bigotry, but he won't work with it to have that. So ******** him.

But of course, I'm talking to a hypocritical wall here who'll advocate all day long for other social conservative measures to keep the nails down on us "degenerates".
Lucky~9~Lives
logan the god of candy
People want to force businesses to let them onto their property and force them to trade items with them and then tell themselves that they are in the right for what is essentially trespassing and theft.

Maybe because the enforcement of those property rights comes from the taxes of those people; using public funds to protect one's business whilst simultaneously withholding that business from segments of the public is essentially despotism.

Especially if you're otherwise advertising yourself as open to the public. He could simply register as a private club, and this would be a non issue. But to right wing ******** like Logan, that's just too much to ask....
logan the god of candy

Then that makes the law immoral, although it already was. I remember that chic-fil-a owner stating that he disagrees with gays on a moral level. He should go to jail, right?

You're bad at this analogy thing.

The CFA owner never mentioned word one about not serving gays or even allowing them into his restaurant.

Quote:
Discrimination against business owners for their opinions. That's essentially equal to discrimination against religious people for their religious opinions. Or discrimination against transgender people for their thoughts and ideas on their gender.

As if you have a problem with the latter.

Quote:
People want to force businesses to let them onto their property and force them to trade items with them and then tell themselves that they are in the right for what is essentially trespassing and theft. It's equivalent to stealing a person's car and then leaving them a stack of money equal to what a bank said that it is worth.

Correction; you're SEVERELY bad at this analogy thing.

Most people's cars aren't businesses advertised to be open to the public and not, you know, REGISTERED AS A PRIVATE VEHICLE.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Andreis
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Andreis
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Andreis
Wow. I'm really surprised by the amount of vehemently acidic comments on here!

Ahah.

The barber has a right to run his shop how he pleases so long as he follows fair labor laws, which would mean never turning down a non-male applicant as well based on gender, sexual preference or race. The place is socially discriminatory, frankly, and I wouldn't visit there myself but I know non-males who are "Masculine" then myself. Ahahaha

Don't you see some positions where saying men only or women only is necessary?

Yes I can see why some people would prefer those who are socially most similar to them so, in some regions, that means gender basis. That is heavily cultural, though. It is not the same everywhere.

I did cite the part of that which is illegal but, obviously, hard to track and hard to enforce.

It strikes me as somewhat ludicrous because the differences between men and women, while remarkable, are not as significant as social culture is. The only rational reason I can see for someone to exclude a given sex/gender/etc. from a place of business is because of standards of action.

The way I see some common stereotypes.
Ex. "Women bring drama so we don't have em in here. This is a relaxed environment."
Ex. "Men don't care enough and wouldn't understand so we don't have em in here. This is an accepting environment."

Which, seeing how both of those have very little to do with the physiological differences between men and women, I would say are remarkably cultural.

SO, when I said there are women who are more stereotypically masculine then me, I was remarking that to allow or disallow anyone based on having a p***s or a v****a is ignorant. The quality that you seek to have in your customers cannot be defined by biological sex - It can only be defined by the person, even if 95% of that gender where you live acts that way.

Most people cannot shrug social expectation so easily, and some people are only expected to be who they wish.

Lastly, I will say that I understand removing of sexual attraction as well because so many people have uneven standards of action and act differently around those they are sexually attracted to then around those they are not.
I'm sorry, by positions I meant jobs/careers. I should have been clearer to avoid misunderstandings

Oh s**t sorry.
Hahaha.
Yeah, there are things like that I know of but if someone attempted to bring allegations against them for sexual discrimination, I dont know that "Its a mans environment" would hold up in court?

I don't really know what a modern court would say about it, but I think that's just as viable as a reason as hiring female servers at a Hooters. It's all about giving the customers what they came for, an atmosphere they expect and demand which largely comes from the sex of the employees

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
toasega
I doubt you would feel so conflicted if it was a "Women Only" barbershop. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say Salon. stare

I've never seen any "salon" that is female-exclusive.

Though I have felt incredibly uncomfortable and out of place in them.

But IMO a haircut is a haircut. If I could trust myself I would cut my own hair.
Seems misogynistic as ******** to me. Men don't need a "safe space" to be away from people of other genders. If the presence of non-men of any sort "ruins the atmosphere", maybe that atmosphere... needs to be allowed to be ruined.

Fashionable Phantom

Damn, place sounds so cool.
Too bad I'm a woman and am not welcome.
Discrimination is discrimination.

To be honest the situation seems pretty unbelievable, he's basically ostracizing 50% of potential customers, maybe more. Pretty poor business move. His loss!

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

Kakubunretsu
Seems misogynistic as ******** to me. Men don't need a "safe space" to be away from people of other genders. If the presence of non-men of any sort "ruins the atmosphere", maybe that atmosphere... needs to be allowed to be ruined.

Cool. I'll roll into Curves with the shortest gym shorts I can find and make sure to grunt nice and loud when I lift, so they know who's putting in serious work. It's the same, right?
As a business they have right to refuse service, just not on the basis of gender or race if I recall correctly.

That is to say, they can offer only men's haircuts, but if a woman wants a men's haircut then I don't think their allowed to throw them out. If your not partaking in services or buying anything then theoretically they're allowed to ask non-customers to leave.
Kakubunretsu

I don't see the misogyny simply from having a male-only place.

Misogyny is defined as showing dislike, contempt, or prejudice for women. Exclusion, while it raises the specter of contempt or disdain for those who are excluded, doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that the exclusion is done for that basis. To illustrate this point, there are women-only schools all over the US who exclude men not because they dislike men, but because they are trying to realize pedagogical goals like giving women an opportunity to be free from pressures to conform to male expectations. Indeed, this has been bared out by studies which suggest that at least some women do perform better academically when there are no males around.

The point of the example is to say that the focus needs to be on why the exclusion is happening. If the "why" is not prejudicial, then the policy is not prejudicial.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff