Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I was out with my bf doing some shopping, and he's was planning on getting his hair cut and his beard trimmed. Apparently he's had the same barber for over 5 years which in my opinion is impressive for a man.

So the shop is in the middle of the town square and when we get in he suggests I go look around at the shops and whatnot until he's finished and he'd come find me. At first I'm like " oh it's not a problem I can wait" and he givens me a look that tells me " just go with it" and so I leave and look at the shops for about 40 minutes until he comes and finds me.

Now when we were on our way back home I asked him what that was about and he told me the barber has a general no women policy. They don't do women's haircuts or offer any services for women. The only time women are expected to stay is if they are getting their son's hair cut, the female is in the military and asking for a men's cut, or if they are buying a gift certificate for a man. Otherwise women are generally expected to politely leave because they "ruin the atmosphere" . Apparently it is an old barbershop that keeps its old timey feel and identifies as a men's space. It has a bar with booze and an old soda fountain, a card table they apparently play cards at every friday night, and is generally a place men apparently go to be around other men and away from women.

Honestly I don't know how I feel about this. In a sense I get what they're doing and why its appealing, but it feels backward and sexist in an underhanded way. What could men possibly want to do or talk about that they can't around women? Why does the business feel the need to discriminate? Isn't it the same as segregation? Isn't it illegal to refuse service to women?

Thoughts ED?

Tipsy Smoker

I don't know. They said "politely". They just want someone to respect their place. Like, I'm not attending any KKK meetings any time soon. And I just don't walk into the Westboro Baptist Church. Of course, I'm not saying their just as bad but people want their space respected. However, I would talk to my partner about it if it bothered me because you obviously don't share the same views.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Technically, a business does have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Usually, its reserved for situations where either a patron or the business itself is at risk for liability, such as a disgruntled customer destroying property.

In regard to this, seems like its how the owner wants to run the business. Its an "on-the-fence" issue; on the one hand, dude's got the right to run his business how he chooses. On the other, it can be seen as discriminatory.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Well, if the stylists only know how to style typically masculine hairstyles, I'd understand. However, they are seriously missing out. I've never in my life men any grown man who went to pay someone to cut his hair. They all do it themselves. As for women, they're more likely to pay money to have their hair done. Women are more fortunate. They have more styles available to them, and those styles are sometimes difficult to achieve without certain skill. s**t, my father is a biker and had long hair for most of my life. He just asked my mother to cut it short one day. He's probably never been to a barber shop.

Perhaps in other places, men going to barber shops is more common, but I'll tell you right now they are just not as needed as they used to be. Most men nowadays now how to use clippers.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What the heck. How big is the barber's neckbeard?

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I doubt you would feel so conflicted if it was a "Women Only" barbershop. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say Salon. stare

User Image

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Vestri Umbra
What the heck. How big is the barber's neckbeard?

I hear people using that term alot. What does having a beard on your neck have to do with ANYTHING AT ALL?

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Is it that hard to understand a desire to have a place that men can go to and not have to worry about people of the opposite sex being there? Women have places like that all the time, in a number of different types of businesses

I think it's telling that you're so offended by a single place you're not allowed in. Men's haircuts have fallen way behind in recent times. It used to be very common for men to have a barbershop like what you described, and to go there their entire time living at that location. You knew the barber, you were friends, and you'd enjoy your time there. Women still have that, but men almost universally have to go to a standardized, bigender place like supercuts or the like, and not get that experience

Both genders have places they want to be with like-minded people. It's not sexist. Get over it and grow up
When Words Collide

Honestly I don't know how I feel about this. In a sense I get what they're doing and why its appealing, but it feels backward and sexist in an underhanded way. What could men possibly want to do or talk about that they can't around women? Why does the business feel the need to discriminate? Isn't it the same as segregation? Isn't it illegal to refuse service to women?

Thoughts ED?

I'm sure there's girls-only spaces too. You need to relax.
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Get over it and grow up

I agreed with you but that s**t is uncalled for. IRL, them's fighting words. Just the tone of it, it's smug, superior, and basically trying to make you feel like s**t about yourself, and, if it was me, I wouldn't tolerate that s**t, just saying.

I'm not trying to piss you off at all or talk s**t in any way, I'm just, that's a pet peeve of mine.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PureCocainePureCocaine
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Get over it and grow up

I agreed with you but that s**t is uncalled for. IRL, them's fighting words. Just the tone of it, it's smug, superior, and basically trying to make you feel like s**t about yourself, and, if it was me, I wouldn't tolerate that s**t, just saying.

I'm not trying to piss you off at all or talk s**t in any way, I'm just, that's a pet peeve of mine.
I understand, and I'd probably agree. I got worked up and angry

It's just this is a good sign of the subliminal (and sometimes not so subliminal) war against men in western society these days. A woman gets worked up because there's one place they don't want women

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
While the letter of the law, in Ireland, prevents this kind of establishment you can get around it by hanging a "management reserves the right to refuse admission" sign and just not explaining why you're refusing admission.
My Dog Mr. Kitty
PureCocainePureCocaine
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Get over it and grow up

I understand, and I'd probably agree. I got worked up and angry

It's just this is a good sign of the subliminal (and sometimes not so subliminal) war against men in western society these days. A woman gets worked up because there's one place they don't want women

It's okay, I run around saying s**t that's a lot worse. xD Do as I say, not as I do.

Yeah, I feel ya. I mean, they're technically, their motivations are good but, ehhhh, the execution... You know? s**t doesn't always turn out the way that people envisioned it to.
And to be real, the only people we really have to blame for this are people who have historically abused their power to oppress folks, 'cause they're the ones who started all this s**t. Maybe if we could actually achieve a free and equal society, but, we can't as long as people hold prejudice and hatred in their hearts.

And my GOD are there a lot of them! Wow, so many. And then there's the people who like to exploit the prejudiced population for fun and profit. They've got to go too.

Just, the one thing we gotta watch is that we don't go too far.
When Words Collide
What could men possibly want to do or talk about that they can't around women?

Expose themselves.
- ninja
Blood Valkyrie
Well, if the stylists only know how to style typically masculine hairstyles, I'd understand. However, they are seriously missing out. I've never in my life men any grown man who went to pay someone to cut his hair. They all do it themselves. As for women, they're more likely to pay money to have their hair done. Women are more fortunate. They have more styles available to them, and those styles are sometimes difficult to achieve without certain skill. s**t, my father is a biker and had long hair for most of my life. He just asked my mother to cut it short one day. He's probably never been to a barber shop.

Perhaps in other places, men going to barber shops is more common, but I'll tell you right now they are just not as needed as they used to be. Most men nowadays now how to use clippers.

So you don't know any men who don't buzz their hair? That's hard to believe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff