Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's a fair given that society is plagued by all manner of problems. One of them is that society is also plagued with solutions. For every problem, real or imagined, there seems an infinite number of people or ideological factions who believe they have the perfect solution. The paradox is not only that most of the solutions actually would solve the problem, but some of those working solutions are mutually contradictory. How is this possible?

When you're dealing with any problem, the first question to ask is "what is meant by the word 'solve'?" If you answer the question broadly enough, almost every problem facing the human race has an amazingly simple answer. Want to stop crime? Declare martial law by creating a police state. Want to end world hunger? Cull the population and feed the dead to the living. Want to protect children? Isolate them, and risk their intellectual and emotional growth. There are almost always easy answers to every question, and they all fix the central issue. But what happens if they aren't the best answer, when all the consequences aren't considered and weighed? In the worst case, you end up in a situation where the cure is worse than the disease. Like the act of trying to kill a mosquito with a jackhammer. Although policy makers are usually smart enough to avoid this kind of tragic reasoning, it is often the case that solutions only attack the surface of a problem and don't strive to find and eliminate it's underlying cause.

It's like the entire ideology behind the so-called "war on drugs". The problem in that scenario is that people are using drugs. Well, why are people using drugs? Because they want to. The endless volumes of self-help books along with the advent of alternative religions is testament to the fact that something is not ideal, and because most of us are made a least a little uneasy by a sudden shift in consciousness, drugs give us the opportunity to explore alternative waking states with the reassurance that if we don't like whatever happens, it'll wear off soon. People have been using mind-altering substances for a long, long time, and the way to stop that is to make certain drugs illegal? Notice the emphasis here is on the symptom, not the cause. If a person wants a certain drug, little notions like whether it came from the pharmacy or the projects quickly become irrelevant.

So how are the solutions to be sorted then? The first and most vital step is to ensure that the worst case scenario does not happen. In order to do this, society must lay down fundamental philosophical principles that will be applied consistently to all future actions. These principles must not be marginalized as suggestions, guidelines, or "good ideas". They must form the bedrock of a society. They must be what a society stands for, the things it's designed to protect, the very reason it exists. If you start to compromise these principles then that society has failed in its purpose. These principles are things like respect for life, individually, and individual rights. It is for this reason that the forced abdication of civil rights to fight terrorism or for any other purpose is so abhorrent. If we must abdicate our most basic principles in defense of our society, what are we fighting to defend? If solving a problem requires us to undermine our society's basic principles, then perhaps a better solution is necessary.

The weakening of fundamental social institutions through problem solving is somewhat rare because most of the time, the people and policymakers alike are too acutely aware of those basic foundations to assault them. Far more common are solutions that appear to solve a problem, but in reality only manage to obscure the problem further. While these are not worse than the original problem per se, they do create a false sense of accomplishment and security, which can be just as debilitating to social growth as a band-aid to an infected burn. The only way to create a permanent solution to a problem is to probe it to the deepest level (yes, that's what she said), to the point where there are no longer symptoms, but root causes.

Sometimes, though, the less elegant, duct-tape-like solutions are necessary to quickly solve an urgent problem. No problem with that. The error I'm talking about comes from treating the temporary aid as a permanent solution. For instance, at the cusp of the civil rights movement, affirmative action was almost certainly needed to bridge racial gaps in the workplace. Now it's just a relic that intensifies feelings of racial separation. Of course I'm not suggesting that we've achieved any sort of degree of racial harmony that makes affirmative action obsolete. I am, however, suggesting that we do away with the band-aids and work to repair the underlying social, economic, and educational gaps that continue to perpetuate the break. I would really like to think that the civil rights movement elevated racial equality to a point at which it no longer requires legal sanction.

There are some who would argue that the human race is inherently flawed and thus it makes no sense to try and change these underlying faults. They're right, the race is entirely flawed... if only because no one will ever agree on what it means to be non-flawed, and end up with no goal to strive for. So should we just throw our hands into the air and scream "abandon all hope, ye who enter here"? Altering human sensibilities is a slow and tedious process which literally takes generations. But if we remain addicted to these quick fixes that only serve to target emergent properties, then how can we even see that these changes need to be made? Even if a solution seems to correct the problem entirely, most aspects of human society are too intricately woven around each other for it to serve as a working substitute. Affirmative action might solve employment discrimination, but it does nothing to protect those victimized by hate crimes or the all too prevalent and subtle self-fulfilling racial prophecy of ignorance and poverty.

What we need in this situation is self-directed evolution: a systematic elimination of our underlying flaws as a species. I'm not suggesting this will be easy, because as we know, evolution is often anything but easy. But if we had not been willing to tackle difficult problems in our early stages of development, we never would have come out of the oceans, down from the trees, around the world, and out to the stars. That's what organic species do: they evolve or they fail to adapt and die. They only difference is that in this scenario, we don't have to wait millions of years to evolve genetically; we can choose to evolve intellectually in a matter of generations, not eons. The only question that remains is whether we are willing to make that choice or whether we should just return to the trees.

Discuss:
1) Are there facets of human evolution that can be self-organized?
2) Is there a rubric by which the concept of the "greatest society" or "best country in the world" can be judged?
3) Is "human nature" a flimsy excuse for abdicating our own responsibility in affecting change?
4) If Ronald McDonald makes a bowl of cheese soup, and nobody but the tallest tree in the woods heard about it, does it still look around?
Discuss:
Quote:

Eugenics, maybe.
Quote:

2) Is there a rubric by which the concept of the "greatest society" or "best country in the world" can be judged?

No.
Quote:
3) Is "human nature" a flimsy excuse for abdicating our own responsibility in affecting change?

An excuse yes, a flimsy one? No.
I Wake Up Early
Quote:

Discuss:

Eugenics, maybe.

That's unfortunate. That's not even a facet of evolution. I tend to think more along the lines of "don't let professional dumbasses vote or exercise any civic decision-making". xd

I Wake Up Early

Quote:

No.

I agree somewhat. Though I suppose the answer may be subject to change based on what a society hopes to accomplish in its founding charters. Not that a society hoping to be established on top of mud and grass can be said to be great, even if it succeeds. I guess it's not a comfortable thing for my fellow countrymen to admit.

I Wake Up Early
Quote:

An excuse yes, a flimsy one? No.

Human nature is nothing if not resilient and flexible. We've been around for much longer than most other species; who's to say that we can't change this "nature" that's so commonly said to be immutable?

Fanatical Zealot

What do you mean by "evolution"?
Suicidesoldier#1
Evolution

Tipsy Smoker

You might be depressed.
if it were fast problems could occur. Thats why its slower. Like half of the population not being able to reproduce at all, we woudl've extincted a long time ago lol

Fanatical Zealot

Dizzy_Solace
Suicidesoldier#1
Evolution

I'd rather hear the OP's opinion.

Evolution of genetics, evolution of mankind ideologically, and so on. xp

Fanatical Zealot

Sordid Divinity

Human nature is nothing if not resilient and flexible. We've been around for much longer than most other species; who's to say that we can't change this "nature" that's so commonly said to be immutable?

Mankind is actually very young.

We've been around, at best, for about 3 million years.

Most other creatures have been around for 10's of millions, like wolve sand whatnot. xp

Fanatical Zealot

Vita rays activating the super soldier serum. ninja

Familiar Friend

i like this op

i just have nothing to add

idk what we should do

i'm just doing what i think is best but i realize i could be wrong completely : >

Aged Lunatic

One thing that amazes me about Evolution and Science is that some animals can grow teeth as much as they need throughout their life.

Humans only grow a second set of teeth and it stops. If scientists could somehow figure out a way for us to grow a third or fourth set....
Quote:

Depends on evolution of what?

Genetic evolution is happening as we speak. Females pay big money for athletes, and those with high intelligence.

Social evolution is much harder. With the shrinking of time it takes for ideas to cross borders we are slowly unifying central core beliefs.

Yes. It just depends on what you mean by greatest. It is usually the society or country that is hated by the most countries, but is the most influential world wide. Guess what country and society. Yep. The United States. There is a country has more influence, than the United States. It is not as hated, but that is because the country rarely uses its influence over citizens of other countries. Guess that country name yet. Vatican City (state) Ruled by the Pope who influence over a lot of Catholic people.

Sure. Any excuse for not trying is flimsy excuse.

4) If Ronald McDonald makes a bowl of cheese soup, and nobody but the tallest tree in the woods heard about it, does it still look around?

Nope. Trees don't care about cheese soup.
Suicidesoldier#1

Well, to my mind, human history represents the most radical break with the natural systems of biological and social organization that preceded it. The emergence of organic life from natural systems meant that mere geology could no longer account for what was happening on Earth. We needed a rubric that was meant to handle this kind of thing: biology. A few hundred million years into the future, though, human cognition came into the picture, and biology became insufficient to explain this new set of circumstances. Of course, before that happened, we had no way of deciphering the massively long buffet of events that lay in our dust. The studies of geology and biology were way off in the distant future. We were way behind.

Here's the thing though: human beings themselves aren't evolving anymore. Sometime in the last 50 thousand years, the biological evolution of humans stopped completely in favor of a newly developing thing called civilization. Languages are evolving. Cultures are evolving. Tools are evolving. But what of the human somatotype? We still resemble the humans from long ago. So we stopped adapting to the world around us in favor of our own little method of adapting the world to suit our needs: technology. We have become extruders of technological material. So much so, in fact, that we're increasingly living in a world blueprinted by the human imagination and downloaded into reality in three dimensional form. The primate body has carried us to this point, and will probably always serve as a focus for self-image.

I believe this is what the major religions are getting at when they suggest a return to the Father. This could be a moment of transition in terms of the several billion year lifespan of Earth. I think the way to go about any profound transformation of human beings is through psychedelic drugs. I'm not joking. Psilocybin alone, in my experience, produces some of the highest-ordered information that I've ever seen, of a higher order than even that of waking reality. That's why it's so difficult to describe what these trips are like. It's hard to bring back any information with you when you don't even know what that information is. It's like trying to sculpt a four-dimensional statue.

I'm not sure I have any sources, because I'm not even sure if this kind of thing can be tested for scientific validity. But there's no question that some kind of evolutionary progress needs to be made. We're already looking for a way out of the "same s**t, different day" mentality in the form of alternative religion, alternative medicine, alternative everything. Just goes to show that people are looking for an alternative to these comfortable cultural impediments to creating the sort of mind in ourselves that we would like to see.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff