Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rose die Valkyrie
Death Magnificent
Rose die Valkyrie
Iunno, I have trouble believing a secret Emperor Palpatine and his Order of the Freemasons/Illuminati/Bilderbergers/Stonecutters are covertly manipulating the masses to be docile slaves.

Did I ever claim it was quite so cheesy?

Hyperbolic statements are my bread and butter, toots.

I know, but you called my theory into question by way of presenting an unrealistic scenario. Little bit sneaky.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think there's something to the theory you present, but I don't think the cause and effect is necessarily intentional. Focus groups are done simply to sell a product, not necessarily social engineering. Corporations aren't that farsighted or ambitions, they just want your money.

Corporations that are farsighted and ambitious would outlive those who aren't, correct?

Riiiight, but by farsighted they're planning a whole FIVE YEARS in advance for their marketing campaigns and by ambitious they mean to absorb more companies and beat their competitors in sales, not exactly world domination.

Once you absorb enough, you start to blur the line between world domination and world trade domination. Corporations get up to some shady s**t worldwide, including the happening-right-now rape of Africa for its delicious resources.

Five years? Maybe in the office.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess I'm technically one of those "brainwashed people who went to school" but I think the American public school system is fairly evenhanded and objective when it comes to social studies and history.

Now, have you read the list of s**t they didn't run by you?

Of course, I'm just saying that comparatively to some other countries, our education is free from blatant propagandizing and altering history. We're not the most free from hyper-patriotism, that's probably France or the UK or something, but we're not like North Korea or Iran either.

If the propaganda and history alteration was blatant, people would call it out and the number of disenfranchised would grow. They don't want that, they like you nice and franchised. It's more like they choose topics what make us look good and avoid those that make us look bad, leaving citizens with a general image of America as a 'hero country'. The French don't take s**t from their government at all. They revolt like they ******** MEAN it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Of course, it depends on your school, but my high school in particular had great history teachers that encouraged debate and discussion about controversial points in history and allowed for differing opinions.

That would explain it. History teachers what teach real s**t are the best. I love those guys.

They helped foster my belief that "History is <3".

That it is.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
America has a problem with its capitalist obsession and masochistic media, but its source is the people themselves, not shadowy men in suits sitting in leather office chairs petting fluffy white cats while wearing gold rings and smoking thick cigars.

We feed into society and we control it and how we interact with people.

No, the source is definitely the shadowy Dr. Evil types. They have the money, but they want our money too, so they create media and objects to trade for it. Naturally, what are we going to do with the small sum we're each allotted individually but waste it on bullshit?

I just honestly don't think enough rich people are that smart or concerned with the "little people". I've been around rich people, my step-father is one of them, they've highly self-centered but don't pay much attention to poor people other than "Ew, get away from my Porsche" and "Damn immigrants/druggies/homeless vagrants/rebellious teens".

Very shallow without the amount of depth required for Machiavellian schemes imo.

He can't be THAT rich. He's probably just got a lot of money.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Human beings aren't dumb animals to be so easily manipulated. The answer isn't destroying society, it's encouraging people to think for themselves and to not remain passive when they see personal liberties being threatened.

There ought to be a place where you can go and people won't look at you like you're stupid for suggesting they stand up for freedom. Sure ain't here. I mean, sure, you can protest all day but IT DOESN'T DIRECTLY ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING. s**t, that's all Americans seem to be down for these days, just standing their with their arms slack at their sides, screaming their objections to a world clearly no longer listening.

Iunno, protests have had fairly huge effects on our society in the last decade. Like the Writer's Strike that put the entertainment industry to a halt or the Occupy Wallstreeters setting up a goddamn shanty city and having the media on them 24/7 in some form or another.

Not perfect, but not nonexistent or dismal either.

List of actual results:
Rose die Valkyrie
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Rose die Valkyrie
Corporations aren't that farsighted or ambitions, they just want your money.
wouldnt they have to be more farsighted to survive? Such as the other topic made on how the disney or w/e channel has alot of shows promoting consumerism of electronics to younger kids, and how there were toy debit cards or w/e, thats not exactly short sighted xd

Rose die Valkyrie
Corporations aren't that farsighted or ambitions, they just want your money.

They do do a little psychological conditioning, but it's purely in the interest of selling s**t, not controlling society.

Plus, subliminal advertising is mostly bunk. Sure, you can make subtle implications, but outright brainwashing is much more difficult to do in just the span of a commercial.

They only need to control us as much as it takes to sell us s**t, which is our attitudes, perceptions, beliefs, and such.

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
No I not is. stare

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
A lot of the things social conditioning teaches us are essential for society to function.

For instance always people obeying the laws is a social norm. It keeps people from performing criminal acts which from a purely utilitarian point of view would be beneficial to them.

It also gets people to have the same values and not do things which may disturb people and cause social unrest.
little_boy_luke
No I not is. stare

You're a young adult who consciously acts as you believe a five-year-old (three at lowest, seven tops?) would. You might not be susceptible to brainwashing, but that's probably because you have bigger problems what you'd have to resolve in order for to become normal enough for that s**t to work.
washu_2004
A lot of the things social conditioning teaches us are essential for society to function.

For instance always people obeying the laws is a social norm. It keeps people from performing criminal acts which from a purely utilitarian point of view would be beneficial to them.

It also gets people to have the same values and not do things which may disturb people and cause social unrest.

So, you're saying it establishes and solidifies government (legal) control on the populace? That's what I had said. Yes, it may prevent utilitarian criminal acts, but is that so great when people need to eat?

Fanatical Zealot

YAY!

BRAINS!

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Death Magnificent
little_boy_luke
No I not is. stare

You're a young adult who consciously acts as you believe a five-year-old (three at lowest, seven tops?) would. You might not be susceptible to brainwashing, but that's probably because you have bigger problems what you'd have to resolve in order for to become normal enough for that s**t to work.

It don' matters if you tinks dat I hab more bigger prolems. confused Point is dat you sayed "y'all're brainwashed" and I proves dat you is wrong! razz

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Procto-Onkelos
little_boy_luke loves my balls.

You is liar! mad

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100