Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swapper

5,800 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Conversationalist 100
1) I've had to sit through ******** church s**t for 8 years. I've absolutely heard it all while sitting in church, too. I don't see how this whole Black Mass deal could be any more hateful than some of the rhetoric I've heard while in church. I've actually seen people spit on the ground every single time the preacher uttered the term "gay marriage" in his hateful diatribe. Don't see how they could top that. So, no. Not hate speech.

2) Does not apply to me.

3) Probably not. I don't even know what it is and don't really care to listen to anyone else give me their babble anymore than I already have to.

4) As far as I know- nothing.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Riviera de la Mancha

2.) The Black Mass is an outright mockery of my faith. I oppose it as a matter of taste, but not as unlawful.

3.) Probably not. I have a hard time not being confrontational on issues like that.

4.) Offending people is certainly a harm.

1) I thought faith could stand mockery and ridicule.

2) Would you watch an act or play (which this Black Mass could qualify as such) that makes fun of another faith's principles and ceremonies? What about of a faith that is no longer practiced?

3) How so?

Old Blue Collar Joe

Spreading lies and misconceptions. But it is still protected by the First Amendment.

What lies and misconceptions are being spread? Any more than the lies and misconceptions being taught by Christianity?

azulmagia

Apparently there will be a woman in lingerie and the whole consecrated host thing is probably a myth....doubt they'll be using one, though who knows?
There will be no bodily fluids or orgy.

But it will be one Hell of a performance. Pun intended.
AngryVeganQueer
Riviera de la Mancha

2.) The Black Mass is an outright mockery of my faith. I oppose it as a matter of taste, but not as unlawful.

3.) Probably not. I have a hard time not being confrontational on issues like that.

4.) Offending people is certainly a harm.

1) I thought faith could stand mockery and ridicule.

2) Would you watch an act or play (which this Black Mass could qualify as such) that makes fun of another faith's principles and ceremonies? What about of a faith that is no longer practiced?

3) How so?

Old Blue Collar Joe

Spreading lies and misconceptions. But it is still protected by the First Amendment.

What lies and misconceptions are being spread? Any more than the lies and misconceptions being taught by Christianity?

azulmagia

Apparently there will be a woman in lingerie and the whole consecrated host thing is probably a myth....doubt they'll be using one, though who knows?
There will be no bodily fluids or orgy.

But it will be one Hell of a performance. Pun intended.

1.) Where did I ever say that faith could not withstand mockery? Please read with attention.

2.) Not really, no. I can't see why I would want to participate in such a thing.

3.) How so as to what? How I am confrontational? I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when people are being dicks. Combine that motivation with a masters in Passive Aggression courtesy of my mother and a being another masters in Trolling from being on the internet for years, and its a recipe for confrontation.

Quotable Prophet

Sacrilege/blasphemy is not free speech when it disagrees with my personal views. rolleyes

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
1) Do you feel that their performance constitutes some form of hate speech or obscenity which should not receive First Amendment protection?

Um no. This is protected by both the first amendment and the right to peaceably assemble. Anyone that says different is an a**l retentive a*****e.

2) If you are a person of faith or belonging to the Catholic faith, do you oppose such displays of outright mockery of the Catholic Mass?

Atheist, and as long as its not throwing buckets of red paint on privately owned items I'm all for it. Or along those lines you know. Harm none and so forth.

3) Would you attend a Black Mass if you were invited?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

4) What actual harm is being done?

The a**l retentive assholes are getting their poor wittle bums hurt. AWWWW so saaad, pooor babies. They must be so HURT about this.

Well onto actual harm, some people can get, SHOCK! GASP! acid reflux from the vinegar! OH DEAR GOD NO! WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD?!?! *collapses and dies in massive sarcasm clot*
AngryVeganQueer
You might have heard that a group of Satanists are planning to hold a Black Mass in Oklahoma this upcoming 24 of September.

Nope. Have not heard that.

This, of course, has many Catholics and people of faith angered. However, such displays are protected under the First Amendment as a form of Free Speech.

There is already a petition up asking officials to put an end to the display at the Civic Center. And according to those amongst the faithful, this can be equated to what the WBC has done in the past.

Personally, I do not see why it should be banned. It's essentially theater.

Not to Satanist

There won't be any sexual acts performed, as they'd usually be during a Black Mass. The show itself has been sold out, and it's unlikely the performance will be cancelled.

Is this a show or a ritual.

I understand some states have blasphemy laws.

Probably. There is a law against witchcraft still on the books also. none is enforceable.

I also understand that there are people whose religious sensitivities might be hurt. However, whether it is religious or artistic expression, this particular group should not be banned from carrying out their act.

So what if people religious feelings are hurt, Christians are insensitive to others religions.

Anyway:

1) Do you feel that their performance constitutes some form of hate speech or obscenity which should not receive First Amendment protection?

No.

2) If you are a person of faith or belonging to the Catholic faith, do you oppose such displays of outright mockery of the Catholic Mass?

Nope.

3) Would you attend a Black Mass if you were invited?

nope

4) What actual harm is being done?

none

Tipsy Smoker

I wonder who is really the most butthurt...There aren't a lot of Christians posting about this s**t who even care. I certainly don't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff