bye

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Desu Deer
the inequalities I see is the fact that men can't show emotion, because its girly

That's one of the inequalities, how men can't show emotion or else society, women included, will think lesser of them. That's one reason why the suicide rate is higher for men than women in the United States

While I don't dispute much of what you've said, only the success rate in suicides is higher in men. Females attempt it at about a 2:1 ratio (sorry, accidentally exited that source) but men succeed more because they attempt more "foolproof" methods, like hanging/shooting, at least in the US. I'm not sure that suicide/suicide attempt is relevant to this discussion.

The same source states that 72-89% of women who committed suicide had been speaking to a mental health professional, only 41-58% of men who committed suicide had. That shows the societal tendency to understand women with depression, but to make light of men with it as simply needing to man up

thyfe's Partner

Devoted Partner

21,240 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Desu Deer
the inequalities I see is the fact that men can't show emotion, because its girly

That's one of the inequalities, how men can't show emotion or else society, women included, will think lesser of them. That's one reason why the suicide rate is higher for men than women in the United States

While I don't dispute much of what you've said, only the success rate in suicides is higher in men. Females attempt it at about a 2:1 ratio (sorry, accidentally exited that source) but men succeed more because they attempt more "foolproof" methods, like hanging/shooting, at least in the US. I'm not sure that suicide/suicide attempt is relevant to this discussion.

The same source states that 72-89% of women who committed suicide had been speaking to a mental health professional, only 41-58% of men who committed suicide had. That shows the societal tendency to understand women with depression, but to make light of men with it as simply needing to man up

I don't think it's societal tendency to understand ANYBODY with depression. I would need to look more closely at statistics involving people asking for help in any subject, as well as men accepting help that is offered. If there's a discrepancy between genders, I could see placing the blame on a society that forces men to be masculine (and dictates what defines 'masculine'). But one could also claim that a discrepancy could be the result of women being looked at as people who need help, people that need to be cared for, and people who cannot do things on their own (rather than a problem of men being pressured into their societal norms). Good lord, what a multi-faceted topic.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Yobyaxes N
Dion Necurat
Yobyaxes N
Dion Necurat
Yobyaxes N

Advantage in destroying their arguments with logic of course, which last I heard, involves intelligence.

To which you lack, hence the discussion.

Do follow along like a good little boy, will you?

And just how many posts have you made to me that weren't ad hominem insults?

You mean other than this one?

Quote:
That's the epitome of a person that lacks the intelligence needed to engage me in a debate as you're proving yourself that you can't and never could back up your own beliefs.

Well when you support rape culture...kind of easy to stand against it.

Quote:
I tell you John Cena isn't bad, what's your response?

That its the fault of creative that they haven't built anyone up to be in that same position, and as a result the star gets a majority of the flack for being forced onto the fanbase and is truly undeserved of a majority of hate he gets, even though there are valid criticisms of his work in the ring and any superstar in that position would have that sort of scrutiny and still not be that bad?

...Not to mention I never said that I hated the man, but the character.

So...

Quote:
"Idiot".

You do seem to fall back on that word a lot. Must be due to you only being able to understand the one word.

Quote:
Thus I can see that emotion comes before logic in your posts.

Despite the logical breakdown on a topic that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

So lets start; why do you support rape culture?

And there's my proof of your lack of intelligence right there because I can't support something that doesn't exist. If anything, why do you support the subjugation of men's rights?

Elaborate.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Desu Deer

I don't think it's societal tendency to understand ANYBODY with depression. I would need to look more closely at statistics involving people asking for help in any subject, as well as men accepting help that is offered. If there's a discrepancy between genders, I could see placing the blame on a society that forces men to be masculine (and dictates what defines 'masculine'). But one could also claim that a discrepancy could be the result of women being looked at as people who need help, people that need to be cared for, and people who cannot do things on their own (rather than a problem of men being pressured into their societal norms). Good lord, what a multi-faceted topic.

As I've said, there's issues on both sides of the gender equation

Yeah, depression is largely misunderstood by people, but think about reactions of society between a woman crying and a man crying. The woman is consoled and asked what's wrong, the man is told to get over it and be a man. Being someone with severe anxiety issues, who's own mother has the same issues told him that he should get over it and be a man, it's debilitating. I can't imagine the impact something like that would have on a man with depression

thyfe's Partner

Devoted Partner

21,240 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Desu Deer

Yeah, depression is largely misunderstood by people, but think about reactions of society between a woman crying and a man crying. The woman is consoled and asked what's wrong, the man is told to get over it and be a man. Being someone with severe anxiety issues, who's own mother has the same issues told him that he should get over it and be a man, it's debilitating. I can't imagine the impact something like that would have on a man with depression

I feel that's an over-generalization; depression is not about crying. Depression can be rearing its ugly head in people who appear to be happy and healthy. While it may be more common for people to stop and console a woman stranger who is crying than it would be for them to stop for a man stranger, it's not relevant to how depression functions or how people respond when they hear others have depression. That's why I believe depression/suicide irrelevant to this specific topic about how men and women are treated differently in society, mostly because all people of all genders with mental illnesses are treated differently than those without, anyway. I'm sorry you have to put up with that bullshit from your own mother.

Dapper Genius

people still don't understand what feminism is. hahaha.

i do think your friend has no right to bully you like that though. that has nothing to do with feminism. that's just being petty and immature.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Yobyaxes N
Dion Necurat
Yobyaxes N
Dion Necurat
Yobyaxes N

And just how many posts have you made to me that weren't ad hominem insults?

You mean other than this one?

Quote:
That's the epitome of a person that lacks the intelligence needed to engage me in a debate as you're proving yourself that you can't and never could back up your own beliefs.

Well when you support rape culture...kind of easy to stand against it.

Quote:
I tell you John Cena isn't bad, what's your response?

That its the fault of creative that they haven't built anyone up to be in that same position, and as a result the star gets a majority of the flack for being forced onto the fanbase and is truly undeserved of a majority of hate he gets, even though there are valid criticisms of his work in the ring and any superstar in that position would have that sort of scrutiny and still not be that bad?

...Not to mention I never said that I hated the man, but the character.

So...

Quote:
"Idiot".

You do seem to fall back on that word a lot. Must be due to you only being able to understand the one word.

Quote:
Thus I can see that emotion comes before logic in your posts.

Despite the logical breakdown on a topic that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

So lets start; why do you support rape culture?

And there's my proof of your lack of intelligence right there because I can't support something that doesn't exist. If anything, why do you support the subjugation of men's rights?

Elaborate.

You're the one that suddenly accused me of being for "rape culture". Explain to me where I said anything in line of rape being a good thing or anything like that; anything that showcases the idea that I'm supposedly in favor of some buzzword that feminists invented in order to cause fear into getting more people to join their little religion? Me saying that "rape culture" doesn't exist doesn't count because why should I believe in this hysteria that society is supposedly pro-rape? Why are their laws against rape if that's the case? And to explain why I said you're against men's rights; you have constant posts throughout ED saying things like "male tears" or "man feelz", mocking words that dismiss one's arguments about fighting for men's rights. Not only that but since you blatantly accused me of being pro rape, so I'm blatantly accusing you of misandry just to see how you like it.

Yobyaxes N
You see? Feminism is for equality until you encounter a non-feminist. It which case they say that you should get raped so you could learn how people telling others that they deserve rape is wrong.

Explain this, then.

EDIT: ...On second thought, disregard.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish

I feel that's an over-generalization; depression is not about crying. Depression can be rearing its ugly head in people who appear to be happy and healthy. While it may be more common for people to stop and console a woman stranger who is crying than it would be for them to stop for a man stranger, it's not relevant to how depression functions or how people respond when they hear others have depression. That's why I believe depression/suicide irrelevant to this specific topic about how men and women are treated differently in society, mostly because all people of all genders with mental illnesses are treated differently than those without, anyway. I'm sorry you have to put up with that bullshit from your own mother.

I know that people are viewed differently when they get diagnosed with depression, but the perceptions between the genders when they get depression are different. Because one gender is largely viewed by society as wanting/needing to be taken care of and the other is viewed as needing to be strong and hide emotion, showing a weakness such as having diagnosed depression is perceived differently

The depression issue on gender was really only meant as a single example of why women have it easier in some ways than men. I never meant it to be a defining issue or the subject of a long discussion

thyfe's Partner

Devoted Partner

21,240 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish

I know that people are viewed differently when they get diagnosed with depression, but the perceptions between the genders when they get depression are different. Because one gender is largely viewed by society as wanting/needing to be taken care of and the other is viewed as needing to be strong and hide emotion, showing a weakness such as having diagnosed depression is perceived differently

The depression issue on gender was really only meant as a single example of why women have it easier in some ways than men. I never meant it to be a defining issue or the subject of a long discussion

Oh, my bad.

That's true, and I suppose those gender roles could be blamed on a patriarchal foundation of society. This subject is always very confusing to me because where is the line drawn? Is one the result of the other? Women are seen as weak because they have always been largely housewives and women of work in more feminine jobs up until late last century. Men could be seen as not being allowed to show weakness, or fear, BECAUSE they're "supposed" to care for the women. What can be done to stop the cycle? I feel as though the issues of expected masculinity and femininity very heavily overlap, which is why I've never identified as a "feminist." However, I do support a lot of what feminists fight for, because to gain equality takes small steps. I feel that every win for feminists would also prove positive to anybody who argues for "men's rights" (and, you know, aren't the whiny brats that 'MRA's are described as) because it's one step closer to balance. When a feminist claims that she rejects society's idea that she needs to shave her legs/arms/underarms/whatever to be viewed as beautiful, or even that she needs to be seen as beautiful, it's also a win for the man who shaves his legs. Because the less we associate things with genders (the idea that it is feminine, or the idea that crying is feminine), even if the original focus was on women, the less the opposite will be associated in men. If we stop defining things as feminine, what is defined as masculine won't have an opposite. As much as a woman has a right to equal pay or to have a man stop ogling her in public, a man has the right to wear make-up or throw on a skirt. Though, it seems as though women have to catch up to where men are, before tearing down societal norms.

I guess what I think I'm saying is that the main problem with society is viewing things as this or that, male or female, feminine or masculine. I don't really have a solid train of thought here, my apologies.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Tiffyish

Oh, my bad.

That's true, and I suppose those gender roles could be blamed on a patriarchal foundation of society. This subject is always very confusing to me because where is the line drawn? Is one the result of the other? Women are seen as weak because they have always been largely housewives and women of work in more feminine jobs up until late last century. Men could be seen as not being allowed to show weakness, or fear, BECAUSE they're "supposed" to care for the women. What can be done to stop the cycle? I feel as though the issues of expected masculinity and femininity very heavily overlap, which is why I've never identified as a "feminist." However, I do support a lot of what feminists fight for, because to gain equality takes small steps. I feel that every win for feminists would also prove positive to anybody who argues for "men's rights" (and, you know, aren't the whiny brats that 'MRA's are described as) because it's one step closer to balance. When a feminist claims that she rejects society's idea that she needs to shave her legs/arms/underarms/whatever to be viewed as beautiful, or even that she needs to be seen as beautiful, it's also a win for the man who shaves his legs. Because the less we associate things with genders (the idea that it is feminine, or the idea that crying is feminine), even if the original focus was on women, the less the opposite will be associated in men. If we stop defining things as feminine, what is defined as masculine won't have an opposite. As much as a woman has a right to equal pay or to have a man stop ogling her in public, a man has the right to wear make-up or throw on a skirt. Though, it seems as though women have to catch up to where men are, before tearing down societal norms.

I guess what I think I'm saying is that the main problem with society is viewing things as this or that, male or female, feminine or masculine. I don't really have a solid train of thought here, my apologies.

I'd agree with you on most of that, about the reasons for the roles and such, but not so much about the style. Sure, I think people should be able to do with their body hair or makeup or clothes whatever they want without being insulted. But it'd be wrong to deny that feminine clothes look good on women, and masculine clothes look good on men. It'd be very wrong to eliminate all roles of gender I feel. There's nothing wrong with the idea of a feminine woman or a masculine man, those roles are needed in many applications. But they should be blurred slightly, and it should be accepted that women can be strong while still being feminine, and men can have a cry every now and then and still be as masculine as John Wayne. It's the denying of nearly universal truths that I have an issue with in gender roles, the things that all people do

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff