Welcome to Gaia! ::

No, I'd like my rhino horn medicine please. It's the only thing that prevents me from going fully blind.

Ferocious Browser

Yes.

And I thought they already had the right to do so. There have been several stories of killings of poachers by park rangers and of park rangers by poachers and none of them are new. The killing poachers problem is an old one and I think it is legal to kill them if they are caught in the act. If you can't manage that and have to chase them to camp or whatever then you are supposed to arrest..I think,

Either way, ******** poachers and their demand sources, they are greedy ignoramuses. I don't like greedy ignoramuses. Even the guys that poach ape meat have a better rationale and I still don't agree with them in the least.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Love Muffin88
So lemme wrap my head around this. There's people in Africa that are getting more superstitious as time goes by, with barbaric poppy c**k? There's still people that believe a rhino tusk has magical powers? De-evolution....

From what I've read, a lot of the demand for rhino horn as a medicine is in China.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Yami no Hitokiri
I say use deadly force. Once a species is gone, it's forever.

Not to mention what it does to genetic diversity. A lot of conservation programs for species that have been reduced to very low numbers are now facing this problem: every individual animal you kill, you take away their particular genetic map forever. If an animal species has been reduced to say, 50 individuals, and a conservation program brings the number up to 3,000 or so, those 3,000 animals have the genetic diversity of the 50 individuals they started with.
marshmallowcreampie
If someone owns land and another person is illegally trespassing to do whatever (in this case, poaching) then yes, they should have the right to use force to stop the person.

Though, if we want to help stop poaching... A lot of poaching is done by locals who just need money. Getting some rhino horns or elephant tusks, in some places, could get them more money than weeks or even months of manual labor. And some are so desperate to feed their families, or buy medicine, or pay for homes or education, that they're willing to risk getting in huge trouble with the law. A good way to stop poaching is to figure out WHY poachers poach, and then try to find a solution to that.

Sometimes they hire militias, but yeah I mean that's the root issue. Instead whenever a company comes in, it's usually to take advantage with slave labor like in Tanzania or Nigeria. That's why you have so many young Somali men involved in sea piracy. No money.

You also have all these "Christian" and Catholic organizations who think they're helping with epidemics, when they refuse to believe sex education and condoms is a viable solution to stem the spread of HIV

And in Somalia, a country controlled by al Qaeda, you have the largest famine on earth going on. Meanwhile in Uganda and Senegal, every day gays are hunted down and killed. In other parts of Africa you have bands of child sacrificing militia men creating massacres from Kenya to the Congo

The whole continent is a mess, and very few groups seem to know a real solution to turn things around. A lot of the problems there stem from post colonial/imperialist Western corporate meddling.
you should force your d**k into rhinos all across Africa just to save them?

rape and life, or freedom and death?

what would YOU chose!!!!!!!!!!!!
pockybot
Several countries use their military to fight poachers. It'd be the kind of job I'd take if I was more inclined to violence.
Ratttking
marshmallowcreampie
If someone owns land and another person is illegally trespassing to do whatever (in this case, poaching) then yes, they should have the right to use force to stop the person.

Though, if we want to help stop poaching... A lot of poaching is done by locals who just need money. Getting some rhino horns or elephant tusks, in some places, could get them more money than weeks or even months of manual labor. And some are so desperate to feed their families, or buy medicine, or pay for homes or education, that they're willing to risk getting in huge trouble with the law. A good way to stop poaching is to figure out WHY poachers poach, and then try to find a solution to that.
If food was that scarce, they'd feed them the rhino's meat. It is obvious that it is not about food when a ton or more of meat is left to rot. Poachers take horns to take advantage of fools and their superstitious belief in sympathetic magic. It looks vaguely p***s-like, therefore it will make mine bigger/stiffer/harder if I eat it is the general idea.

The strong obsession with, I dont know, I guess "occultic" beliefs fuels all sorts of crazyness in Africa. Authorities recently raided a "baby factory" in Nigeria where shackled teens were forced to give birth to babies which are sold to people as either illegal adoption or child sacrifices. There's a lot of crazy conflicts still going on in Africa(Swaziland area, parts of Kenya, along the Congo region) that would shock people to their core to read about.

People think "oh Rwanda, Darfur...all in the past".

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
pockybot
Ratttking
marshmallowcreampie

If food was that scarce, they'd feed them the rhino's meat. It is obvious that it is not about food when a ton or more of meat is left to rot. Poachers take horns to take advantage of fools and their superstitious belief in sympathetic magic. It looks vaguely p***s-like, therefore it will make mine bigger/stiffer/harder if I eat it is the general idea.

The strong obsession with, I dont know, I guess "occultic" beliefs fuels all sorts of crazyness in Africa. Authorities recently raided a "baby factory" in Nigeria where shackled teens were forced to give birth to babies which are sold to people as either illegal adoption or child sacrifices. There's a lot of crazy conflicts still going on in Africa(Swaziland area, parts of Kenya, along the Congo region) that would shock people to their core to read about.

There is no excuse for de-evolution. And Nigeria is supposedly one of the more "civilized" places in Africa.
Love Muffin88
So lemme wrap my head around this. There's people in Africa that are getting more superstitious as time goes by, with barbaric poppy c**k? There's still people that believe a rhino tusk has magical powers? De-evolution....

When you read all the latest reports from BBC, Human rights groups, NPR, MSNBC, CNN, Reuters, AP, etc in regards to the crazy stuff so many believe over there. It doesnt matter if its the "child burning" Christian fundie African nations, the v****a mutilating Islamic African countries or the occult worshipping supersitious African nations...decades of colonial meddling and other stuff has made them all insane.

marshmallowcreampie
Ratttking

I imagine it's easier to run off with the horn and sell it than to try and sneak a whole rhino to eat. (if rhino meat is even any good. From what I hear, the meat and hide is very tough and hard to cook, of course, it could depend on the species of rhino...) Penalties for poaching can be pretty high, so good luck dragging a rhino back to your home without any authorities noticing. Besides, why bother with the meat when selling the horn can get you a small fortune? I should also point out that poaching for rhino horn is just about perceived magical powers, they're also popular to make dagger handles, among other things. Though the use of it for medicinal purposes is apparently to blame for the recent rise in price.

There is no ancient medicinal purpose. It's all based on some bizarre belief in the tusk having "magical powers". Hell grown men in Africa with AIDS will rape a baby thinking it'll cure them. There's so much superstition and crazyness going on over there, it's enough to make one's head spin.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
pockybot

There is no ancient medicinal purpose. It's all based on some bizarre belief in the tusk having "magical powers". Hell grown men in Africa with AIDS will rape a baby thinking it'll cure them. There's so much superstition and crazyness going on over there, it's enough to make one's head spin.

Pretty much. Plus, aren't rhino horns made of keratin? Cause keratin is in human hair and fingernails. Even if there were medical benefits to rhino horns (which, as far as scientific study has found, there aren't) wouldn't they also be achievable through human fingernails? emotion_awesome
Eveille
Yes.

And I thought they already had the right to do so. There have been several stories of killings of poachers by park rangers and of park rangers by poachers and none of them are new. The killing poachers problem is an old one and I think it is legal to kill them if they are caught in the act. If you can't manage that and have to chase them to camp or whatever then you are supposed to arrest..I think,

Either way, ******** poachers and their demand sources, they are greedy ignoramuses. I don't like greedy ignoramuses. Even the guys that poach ape meat have a better rationale and I still don't agree with them in the least.

If the Rhino meat or tusk provided some legitimate holistic alternative medicine that cured AIDS, famine or other pandemics facing Africa...I could see that a bit more. But it's literally greed based off of bizarre invented superstitions

And im not even saying shoot poachers per se. Just threaten them with guns and chase them away. Im a little biased as Rhinos have always been one of my favorite animal, but the fact they could completely be wiped out from the planet under a decade is kind of disheartening.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
pockybot
Ratttking
marshmallowcreampie

My favorite has to be the pastor from SA who had an invisible, detachable magic p***s he used to rape the villagers. His wife was infamous for turning herself into a... snail and terrorizing the village. The pastor was burnt to death by the villagers, the snail managed to flee.
pockybot
When you read all the latest reports from BBC, Human rights groups, NPR, MSNBC, CNN, Reuters, AP, etc in regards to the crazy stuff so many believe over there. It doesnt matter if its the "child burning" Christian fundie African nations, the v****a mutilating Islamic African countries or the occult worshipping supersitious African nations...decades of colonial meddling and other stuff has made them all insane.
Blaming colonialism for all of the problems in Africa not only condemns them to an eternity as victims, it denies them the ability to achieve independence.

If you've done any research about those areas, you would know that their world is just as confusing and complex as our Western world.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Love Muffin88
pockybot
Ratttking
marshmallowcreampie

There is no excuse for de-evolution. And Nigeria is supposedly one of the more "civilized" places in Africa.

Too bad de-evolution doesn't exist, eh?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces