Welcome to Gaia! ::

Due to the belief by some people in Africa that Rhino tusks bring "magical powers", there's been an all out blitz by poachers in South Africa to poach as many Rhinos as possible in a quite spectacularly brutal method due to the money that's made.

But conservationists, are worried that at this rate it won't be too many years before all Rhinos are wiped out. At the turn of the century 50 Rhinos were alive, which has been brought up to 20,000. Conservationists try and spread "awareness", now and the sedate a Rhino to safely remove its tusks(they grow back in 2-3 years) but this mamby pamby pleasanty way of dealing with the issue hasn't put a micro dent in the problem.

Should force be used to save animals from total extinction, or even to save what's left of the rainforest? We've seen wars done in the name of oil, greed, religion, consolidating power, etc often under the auspices of "humanitarianism", but rarely has force been used to save something.

If conservationists own a large acreage of land, should they have the right to hire private mercenaries or themselves use deadly force to stop poachers if all else fails? I havent seen the argument made, but at this rate in a decade or less a lot of things seem like they'll simply be in the history books instead of actual living things.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/21/10466912-spike-in-rhino-poaching-threatens-survival-of-species

Quote:
In South Africa, home to three quarters of the last remaining rhinos on the planet, conservationists, private game reserve owners and security forces are waging a desperate battle against poachers intent on killing the country’s rhinos for their lucrative horns.

“It is an epidemic. It’s a war that right now we’re losing,” Graeme Rushmere said. “It’s not a South African issue as such, it’s really a global issue.”

Rushmere owns Kariega Game Reserve, a nearly 25,000 acre private reserve. The reserve is home to critically endangered black rhinos and white rhinos.

Rhinos have roamed the Earth for millions of years, but at the turn of the twentieth century there were only about 50 white rhinos left in the world. All were in South Africa. Over the course of several decades, South Africans brought the white rhino back from the brink of extinction. Through incredible conservation work, there are almost 20,000 white rhinos today. The recent spike in poaching has South Africans worried that all of their hard work to save the rhino will be reversed.

Just a decade ago, only about a dozen rhinos were poached each year. Last year, poachers killed more than 400 rhinos.

For Graeme Rushmere and his friend and neighbor Dr. Will Fowlds, the fight to stop the poaching is personal. They lost one of their beloved rhinos, Geza, after his horn was brutally hacked off by poachers.
Yes if you think so, no if you don't.

That said I find most of the justification for the 'yes' camp to be silly s**t.
Are rhinos crucial to the environment? If not, ******** 'em, 99% of species are already extinct.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
If someone owns land and another person is illegally trespassing to do whatever (in this case, poaching) then yes, they should have the right to use force to stop the person.

Though, if we want to help stop poaching... A lot of poaching is done by locals who just need money. Getting some rhino horns or elephant tusks, in some places, could get them more money than weeks or even months of manual labor. And some are so desperate to feed their families, or buy medicine, or pay for homes or education, that they're willing to risk getting in huge trouble with the law. A good way to stop poaching is to figure out WHY poachers poach, and then try to find a solution to that.
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Are rhinos crucial to the environment? If not, ******** 'em, 99% of species are already extinct.

The hierarchical value assigned to rhino+ and rhino- environments is aesthetic and arbitrary.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
What kind of force? Gun kind of force?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
marshmallowcreampie
If someone owns land and another person is illegally trespassing to do whatever (in this case, poaching) then yes, they should have the right to use force to stop the person.

Though, if we want to help stop poaching... A lot of poaching is done by locals who just need money. Getting some rhino horns or elephant tusks, in some places, could get them more money than weeks or even months of manual labor. And some are so desperate to feed their families, or buy medicine, or pay for homes or education, that they're willing to risk getting in huge trouble with the law. A good way to stop poaching is to figure out WHY poachers poach, and then try to find a solution to that.
If food was that scarce, they'd feed them the rhino's meat. It is obvious that it is not about food when a ton or more of meat is left to rot. Poachers take horns to take advantage of fools and their superstitious belief in sympathetic magic. It looks vaguely p***s-like, therefore it will make mine bigger/stiffer/harder if I eat it is the general idea.
Replace "rhinos" with "humans" in the future and the responses in this thread will likely be the same.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Love Muffin88
What kind of force? Gun kind of force?
Yup. Think of it as the same thing a cattle rancher would do if someone was trying to kill his cows, except substitute rhinos for cows.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Ratttking
If food was that scarce, they'd feed them the rhino's meat. It is obvious that it is not about food when a ton or more of meat is left to rot. Poachers take horns to take advantage of fools and their superstitious belief in sympathetic magic. It looks vaguely p***s-like, therefore it will make mine bigger/stiffer/harder if I eat it is the general idea.

I imagine it's easier to run off with the horn and sell it than to try and sneak a whole rhino to eat. (if rhino meat is even any good. From what I hear, the meat and hide is very tough and hard to cook, of course, it could depend on the species of rhino...) Penalties for poaching can be pretty high, so good luck dragging a rhino back to your home without any authorities noticing. Besides, why bother with the meat when selling the horn can get you a small fortune? I should also point out that poaching for rhino horn is just about perceived magical powers, they're also popular to make dagger handles, among other things. Though the use of it for medicinal purposes is apparently to blame for the recent rise in price.

Greedy Consumer

Je Nique vos Merdiers
Are rhinos crucial to the environment? If not, ******** 'em, 99% of species are already ******** humans too while yur at it xp

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Poaching is illegal. Why shouldn't force be used to stop it, especially if the animal being poached is an endangered species?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
marshmallowcreampie
Ratttking

I imagine it's easier to run off with the horn and sell it than to try and sneak a whole rhino to eat. (if rhino meat is even any good. From what I hear, the meat and hide is very tough and hard to cook, of course, it could depend on the species of rhino...) Penalties for poaching can be pretty high, so good luck dragging a rhino back to your home without any authorities noticing. Besides, why bother with the meat when selling the horn can get you a small fortune? I should also point out that poaching for rhino horn is just about perceived magical powers, they're also popular to make dagger handles, among other things. Though the use of it for medicinal purposes is apparently to blame for the recent rise in price.
It's meat, and starving people love meat even if it's tough. Simply braising will solve that problem anyway. The animal could be butchered at the scene with the hungry family's help instead of being dragged off in one piece. That much meat is indeed worth a small fortune, and is squandered. It is not about food. It is about laziness and snake-oil salesmen. Oh, and tacky taste in knives, thanks for mentioning that.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I say use deadly force. Once a species is gone, it's forever.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
So lemme wrap my head around this. There's people in Africa that are getting more superstitious as time goes by, with barbaric poppy c**k? There's still people that believe a rhino tusk has magical powers? De-evolution....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff