Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Falsely accusing a man of rape can seriously destroy his life. Men who are falsely accused and then later cleared don't always get their lives back. They can lose their education (if in a university), jobs, career, family, reputation, etc...I even wonder sometimes if it would be worse to be falsely accused of rape be a woman than to actually be raped by another man, because at least with the latter your life is still in tact.

In the Duke Lacrosse case, the false accuser was virtually let off scott-free, until she committed a s**t ton of other crimes including murder and was finally put away. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case#Subsequent_arrests_and_convictions_of_accuser)

The only downside to this is that it might make actual rape victims more afraid to come out, which would be horrible in and of itself. But people who falsely accuse someone of rape can be destroying someone's life.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/teen-girl-i-lied-that-stephen-lyne-raped-me-3034806.html <---This popped up today. What the ********?

Sparkly Fairy

10,650 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Hell yes it should be a serious crime. It makes real victims look like liars.
The problem is that a lot of women don't report until it's too late so we really don't know if there is a lot of false accusation.

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
When it is a false report, then yes it should.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
it's funny that you mention the Duke case, as there's still plenty of public support for the woman who made the accusation.

Mega Noob

How about they who falsely accuse someone of falsely accusing someone of rape.
If there's proof that the alleged victim purposefully and falsely accused someone of rape, then it should be treated like any other false accusation. However, I think the falsely accused should have a strong civil case.
It already is.
It's a difficult issue. I think it should be a definite crime, but like has already been mentioned, it might make women who have actually been raped more hesitant to come forward with it. As someone who's been through that, I know it can be really hard.

I'm honestly disgusted by women who lie about it. It's not a game.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The penalty for false rape accusations should be the same as the penalty for rape.

The damage a false accusation can do can never be fully undone , and there will always be a stigma of "did he do it?" following that guy around for the rest of his life , damaging his chances of getting jobs, totally ruling him out of certain professions such as teaching or nursing (and if he is a teacher or a nurse, 4 years of college gone and all the experience he gained on the job is gone and can never be used again since he will never work in that profession ever again).
If a guy takes your virginity and then bounces; stage 5 clingers, don't yell rape.

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The rose in spring
The problem is that a lot of women don't report until it's too late so we really don't know if there is a lot of false accusation.

Yes, we do: Over 50% of all rape charges are obviously false according to the police.
Yes. If being convicted of rape is a serious crime so should false accusations.

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
In my country, a false accusation for anything, is legally just as serious as the crime itself. However, it's hard to prove a false accusation.

Aged Lunatic

Just as rape it'self can tarnish lives forever, so too can false rape accusations.

I'm just fine for someone who's found, beyond a reasonable doubt of course, to have lied about a rape to suffer the exact same sentence range as a rapist.

Same for murder. If your actions in any capacity resulted in the execution of an innocent person, you should be put to death in turn.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff